• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dying Alone & Loners' Unnoticed Deaths

rynner2 said:
sherbetbizarre said:
Mummified Woman Dead for Six Years Reportedly Voted in 2010
http://gawker.com/mummified-woman-dead- ... 1541508827
A different version of this story was posted in Strange Deaths:

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewt ... 39#1401739

And i posted it first in the mummy thread. :p Rynner all corrections should be placed in the reorg thread in web site issues.

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewt ... 5&start=60

tonyblair11 said:
And i posted it first in the mummy thread. :p Rynner all corrections should be placed in the reorg thread in web site issues.
My post was not a correction, but additional information. 8)

Homeless man lay dead in Dublin hospital for a week

A member of staff found the body of the man, who was in his 30s, lying in a closed section of the Mater Hospital complex on Dublin's northside.

Gardai were called after the decomposing remains were discovered on the morning of April 9 in a section of the hospital that was not in use following the opening of the Whitty Building in February.

It was found that the man had died around April 2 – seven days before his discovery.

The Health Service Executive was notified of the incident but decided not to launch an investigation and confirmed the matter was dealt with by the hospital.

An internal investigation at the hospital has been completed.

It is understood the man was homeless, and was not a patient at the hospital, but was known to some of the staff as a “character” from around the area.

The man had managed to gain entry to a part of the Mater Hospital complex which was not in use.

“The staff were sent an email about the body. Everybody was shocked and wondering how he could have been there so long.

“There was a dead body in a hospital and no one knew about it,” a source said.

A spokesperson for the hospital confirmed the incident, but both the hospital and the gardai have refused to comment on the cause of the man’s death.

“The Mater Hospital can confirm that a body of a man, who was not a patient of the hospital, was discovered within the hospital on the morning of Wednesday, April 9, 2014, in an area no longer in use.

Gardai

“An Garda Siochana were informed and were in attendance at the scene.

“The body was transferred to the Dublin City Morgue on Wednesday afternoon,” a statement said.

“The HSE were informed of the incident and the Mater Hospital has carried out its own internal investigation into the incident. No further comment will be made,” it added.

A garda spokesman said the incident was investigated as a sudden death, but was not being treated as suspicious by officers from nearby Mountjoy garda station.
- See more at: http://www.independent.ie/tablet/news/h ... iBpvl.dpuf

Mummified corpse found five years later by schoolboy exploring abandoned house

The cause of death for the man, who apparently died in late 2009, is listed as a suicide, according to the coroner's office. (AP Photo/The Dayton Daily News, Marshall Gorby)

An “adventurous” schoolboy who was exploring an abandoned house in the US state of Ohio was given a shock when he discovered the mummified corpse of a man inside a closet.

The body had been hanging in the cupboard for five years, and was that of 53-year-old Edward Brunton, the authorities of Dayton, Ohio, suspect.

As the man was hanged by the neck, they believe his death was a suicide. Brunton bought the house in 2009. The coroner who dealt with the body believes he died shortly afterwards.

The authorities added that Brunton had a brother who lives nearby, but the man had not seen him since 2008.

Michelle McGrath, the boy’s mother, said her 12-year-old son is adventurous.

“My son came home and said he had gone into an abandoned house and he found a body. And I said, ‘Wait, what?” his mother Michelle McGrath told WHIO-TV reporters.

Harshbarger, the Montgomery County coroner, told CNN the find was “very unique”, as it is rare to find 5-year-old mummified remains.

Most neighbours said they had not seen the man who owned the house, which had such an overgrown lawn that neighbours called in the authorities to maintain it.

“I didn’t realize there was anybody in the house,” Alberta Ballard, who had lived in the adjacent house for 40-years and reported Bruton's garden to the authorities, told reporters.
- See more at: http://www.independent.ie/world-news/am ... xJFrG.dpuf

Paignton man's dead body had been in house for some time, inquest told
By HEPaulGreaves
Posted: June 21, 2014

THE body of a Paignton man lay undiscovered in his house for a long period of time, the coroner has been told.
Thomas Edward Jordon, 43, was found dead by police on June 4 at his home address in Great Western Close.
It is believed he had been dead for several weeks. An inquest has been opened and adjourned into his death.

The coroner has been told that Mr Jordon, who was known as Tommy, was a divorced unemployed HGV driver.
He was identified using fingerprint records. The cause of death is not established.

There are no suspicious circumstances. :?:

http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/P ... story.html

'Several weeks' is one thing, six years is another:

Woman dead in Bournemouth flat for six years

A woman has been found dead in her flat in Dorset six years after she died.
The woman, named locally as Anne Leitrim, lived in Tolpuddle Gardens in the Muscliff area of Bournemouth.
A bailiff, estate agent and two locksmiths broke into the ground floor flat on Tuesday and discovered the remains.
Dorset Police said the body was believed to be that of a woman in her seventies but said it was not treating the death as suspicious.

Neighbour John Stanley said: "It's horrifying that, after that amount of time, why hadn't anybody noticed it?
"Because we thought she moved out. She owned a car - the car disappeared - so we automatically thought the lady's moved out and that was it."

Ruth Evans, who also lives in the street, said: "To be honest, I'm still coming to terms with it.
"I haven't stopped shaking in two days. You feel so guilty that we didn't try knocking on the door or try to get into the flat or report it to somebody but we genuinely thought she had moved away."

Cliff Rich of the Contact the Elderly charity, which supports older people through loneliness and isolation, said the length of time made this case "quite extreme".
"It's a shame this happens. It's quite common for older people to be living somewhere and for people not to see them.
"Bringing some kind of social interaction, however small, into their lives really makes a difference."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-28039848

Most of my social interaction nowadays involves complaining about the local bus service... :(

Here's a very sad case. I feel I knew him because I'd sometimes seen him around, and he was always appearing in local news stories. He may have come to the local astronomical society too when I was still a member (see end of story).

Ex-mayor of Falmouth found dead in filthy home after years of self neglect and alcohol abuse
Updated 2:57pm Wednesday 9th July 2014

FORMER Falmouth mayor David Breacker died alone in his “filthy” home only days after his 72nd birthday, following years of self neglect and alcohol abuse despite numerous attempts to help him, an inquest heard last week.

Mr Breacker, who had been mayor between 1998 and 2000, had been living at Tregaer Flats in Melvill Road, having moved there after his previous home had become “unfit for human habitation” because of his self-neglect and refusal to clean around him.
When discovered on February 3 he was lying on his side in his bedroom, naked from the waist down and wearing stereo headphones with the stereo still plugged in. There were faeces on the floor and on the bedspread and the flat was littered with alcohol bottles.

His GP Dr Nick Rogers said in a statement that Mr Breacker had suffered from self neglect, poor nutrition and from chronic alcohol intake. He had been seen several times, most recently for leg ulcers which were being dressed by nurses.

As well as seeing his GP and nurses, Mr Breacker was under the care of the education, health and social care team at Cornwall Council who would make weekly deliveries of shopping to his home and continually tried to help him further.

Manager Sarah Williams said they got involved in 2011 because of Mr Breacker’s self and environmental neglect, his poor personal care and his alcohol intake. “We were concerned for the reasons of his alcohol intake and the impact that was having on his daily living,” she said. “Throughout the three years he was known to us there were numerous attempts made.

“It appears that Mr Breacker when intoxicated was difficult to engage with. When he was sober he was very amenable, charming and very articulate and would accept assistance. He did on occasion agree to respite (where he could have a shower/bath and hot meal), but when the time came for that he would refuse to go.
“He did have a lot of intervention and he built up such a good rapport with the worker in Falmouth that she would visit him ad hoc to make sure he was OK.”

The inquest heard that a post mortem had revealed that Mr Breacker had had pre-existing heart disease, lung disease with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and a fatty liver which was consistent with chronic alcohol abuse. There was also evidence of pneumonia.

etc...

http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/news/fp ... hol_abuse/

Former Ordnance Survey worker Denis Walsby lived in nest made from rubbish in his own front room in Romsey
Updated 7:52am Thursday 10th July 2014
By Ed Stilliard, Senior Reporter

A RECLUSIVE pensioner lay dead among piles of rubbish in his Hampshire home for eight months before his body was found, an inquest heard.
Like a hamster, Denis Walsby had collected rubbish which he used to turn his own front room into a makeshift nest.
The 74-year-old died surrounded by everything he had been hoarding, including bags of rubbish and cardboard boxes, an inquest heard.
The alarm was only raised when a postman saw mail piled up inside the porch.

PC Lindsay Miell told the hearing that after breaking down the door she saw boxes and papers “piled from the door to the ceiling” in the house in Romsey. She also noticed an infestation of flies.
She said: “It was hugely cluttered to the point that I couldn’t step inside the doorway.
"The thing that immediately struck me was the smell.”

PC Miell found Mr Walsby’s decomposed body at the foot of the stairs under a pile of papers in December last year.
But the inquest heard that due to the date on the piles of mail Mr Walsby could have died eight months earlier, in April last year.
PC Miell told the inquest: “It also appeared in the last stages of his life that he had created a small nest for himself.
“It was where he had basically done everything.”

A post-mortem found that Mr Walsby had died from a head injury although it is uncertain how he sustained it.
Delivering a verdict of accidental death, Central Hampshire coroner Grahame Short said: “Because of the period of time which has elapsed it’s not possible to ascertain whether he had been drinking, for example, and then fallen, or if he had a fall because he tripped.”

He added: “He was clearly a very reclusive man who preferred his own company.”
Mr Walsby had not had contact with any family for years.
His ex-wife Joyce, 69, who lives in Rownhams, was a witness at the inquest but the last contact she had with him was 30 years ago.
She said they had moved to the then new-build home in Ashford Way in 1970 when they were both working for Ordnance Survey.

With no children, the couple divorced in 1982 after his wife claimed she was the victim of “mental cruelty”, the inquest heard.
Her ex-husband retired in 1984 and she never spoke to him again.

It was only after Mr Walsby died that she met his cousin, Robert Lucas, who it appears is his last surviving relative.
Mr Walsby would holiday in Germany and would visit Robert at his home in Camberley, Surrey, on his way home.
He was last seen at a family funeral in 2001.
Mr Lucas said: “He had turned up in quite sloppy dress for a funeral and was drinking quite heavily at that time.”
The last time he spoke to Mr Walsby was in 2006.
He said: “I just phoned him to say, ‘How are you?’. He was quite short, quite curt on the phone.”

Little is known about the last ten years of Mr Walsby’s life.
A taxi driver with Hampshire firm Samtax, Richard Heather, remembers taking him on weekly shopping trips.
He said: “He never used to complain about his health.”

Mr Walsby’s neighbour, Karen Stewart, said she had knocked on his front door several times each year.
She said [she] would only see him once every few months and could have been the last person to have spoken to him.
She said: “I felt so awful [when I heard that he’d died], I was in tears.”

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/1133140 ... _his_nest/

Littlemore daughter kept dead mother's body in bathroom

A daughter found dead in a home in Oxfordshire had kept the body of her mother in her bathroom for months, an inquest has heard.
Pauline and Caroline Jessett were discovered at the home they shared in Cowley Road, Littlemore, in November.

The inquest heard it was likely the mother, Pauline, had died in March 2012 and her daughter was unable to cope.
Miss Jessett, 50, had carried on living in the house but it is thought she died some time in 2013.
The inquest heard Miss Jessett placed the body of her 78-year-old mother in the downstairs bath and covered her with blankets and sheets.

The mother and daughter's bodies were found after environmental health officers were called to the house by neighbours because of concerns about the safety of the property.

Police discovered the body of Miss Jessett lying on the floor of a bedroom on 21 November.
That day, the house was declared structurally unsound, with holes in the floors and walls and had to be made safe before investigations could continue
A week later, Mrs Jessett's body was discovered in the bathroom.
At the time, next door neighbour Raymond Bailey described the women as reclusive.

Post-mortem examinations carried out on both bodies were unable to determine a cause of death.
Miss Jessett's body was described as "mummified" by police and could only be identified by forensic techniques.
Her mother was identified from the unique serial number on an artificial hip.

Describing the case as "sad and unusual", coroner Darren Salter recorded a verdict of death by natural causes for Caroline Jessett, most likely from a brain tumour.

He recorded an open verdict for Pauline Jessett, as said it was impossible to determine a cause of death.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ox ... e-28778115

I first posted (on the finding of the body) on June 27th, on this thread.

Undiscovered woman Anne Leitrim 'was mummified', inquest hears

A woman who lay undiscovered in her house for seven years was found in a mummified state, an inquest has heard.
A post-mortem examination failed to find a cause of death for Anne Leitrim, who was found underneath her bed in her flat in Bournemouth on 24 June.

She was discovered when a bailiff, who had been instructed to repossess her home, entered through a bedroom window.
The inquest at Bournemouth Coroner's Court heard police found a calendar in her home which dated from 2007.

It is believed Ms Leitrim would have been 58 at the time of her death, the inquest heard.
No mention of her family was made during the brief hearing.

Neighbours in Tolpuddle Gardens, who thought she had left the flat, believed she had been dead for six years.

But the inquest heard the authorities were confident she had died in 2007.
The body of the nurse, who had previously worked for a hospital in London, was not identified until 5 August.
The inquest was adjourned until a provisional date of 23 October.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-28785487

More on Anne Leitrim, from a local paper:

"A CHILDREN’S nurse was found dead in her Bournemouth flat seven years after she is believed to have died, an inquest has heard.

The mummified body of Anne Gabrielle Leitrim, who worked at Homerton University Hospital in London, was discovered after bailiffs came to repossess her home after she failed to make mortgage repayments.
Ms Leitrim had worked at the hospital for seven years.
A spokesman from the hospital said “several attempts” were made to contact her after she did not attend work and it was “not unusual” for staff to leave without giving notice.

He added: “At the time there was a very high turnover of nursing staff particularly in the area where she worked.”

She is believed to have been 58-years-old when she died.

Coroner’s officer Allan Young said the nurse, who was originally from Scotland, was found lying on her back underneath her bed.

Coroner for East Dorset, Sheriff Payne, was told Ms Leitrim’s body was identified by DNA profiling.
... "

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/1 ... ?ref=var_0

Wouldn't DNA profiling require comparisons with relatives' DNA? But no family are mentioned.

I'm sure there was a thread about "missing' FTMB posters, but I can't find it.

Not sure if many of us will die lonely but as this board is very long lived we are surely going to get current posters die off more often.

There are a couple of regular posters who are gone that I wonder if they are still in the land of the living.

Just found it tucked away in the Website issues, funny place to have it. :?

I just stumbled upon the thread about Ronson8 & the next post I read is Naughty_Felid's post above. What a sad little coincidence :(

cherrybomb said:
I just stumbled upon the thread about Ronson8 & the next post I read is Naughty_Felid's post above. What a sad little coincidence :(

Thread about Ronson8?

Don't worry, I don't go in Website Issues often either.

Realised when James brought it up on another thread.

OneWingedBird said:
I don't go in Website Issues often either.
If more people ckecked 'posts since last visit' (one of the top-right options if you click 'Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index') we'd all know better what's going on!

(But half the time nobody listens to me - and the other half, they just get argumentative!)

I'm guessing that there are plenty of people -including myself -who only look at the areas they think will be of interest to themselves, never mind whether or not there are new posts.
I never bother with any of the conspiracy /cryptozoology /earth mysteries threads. I may be missing staggeringly interesting stuff, but that's just the way it is! :lol:

edit :- or Science or UFO's, come to that!

As soon as I open my first email update I do the check for new posts thing - mainly because (still) any thread that goes over 100 pages never emails updates so you miss everything!

'Things that make you go WTF!' - I'm looking at you.

That issue's been ignored every time I mention it too.....

rynner2 said:
OneWingedBird said:
If more people ckecked 'posts since last visit' (one of the top-right options if you click 'Fortean Times Message Board Forum Index') we'd all know better what's going on!

(But half the time nobody listens to me - and the other half, they just get argumentative!)

Of course we listen, you're the forum's mad old uncle.

Naughty_Felid said:
rynner2 said:
OneWingedBird said:

Of course we listen, you're the forum's mad old uncle.

The sort you keep locked in the attic.

Here's a very sad case. I feel I knew him because I'd sometimes seen him around, and he was always appearing in local news stories. He may have come to the local astronomical society too when I was still a member (see end of story).

Ex-mayor of Falmouth found dead in filthy home after years of self neglect and alcohol abuse
Updated 2:57pm Wednesday 9th July 2014

FORMER Falmouth mayor David Breacker died alone in his “filthy” home only days after his 72nd birthday, following years of self neglect and alcohol abuse despite numerous attempts to help him, an inquest heard last week.

Mr Breacker, who had been mayor between 1998 and 2000, had been living at Tregaer Flats in Melvill Road, having moved there after his previous home had become “unfit for human habitation” because of his self-neglect and refusal to clean around him.
When discovered on February 3 he was lying on his side in his bedroom, naked from the waist down and wearing stereo headphones with the stereo still plugged in. There were faeces on the floor and on the bedspread and the flat was littered with alcohol bottles.

His GP Dr Nick Rogers said in a statement that Mr Breacker had suffered from self neglect, poor nutrition and from chronic alcohol intake. He had been seen several times, most recently for leg ulcers which were being dressed by nurses.

As well as seeing his GP and nurses, Mr Breacker was under the care of the education, health and social care team at Cornwall Council who would make weekly deliveries of shopping to his home and continually tried to help him further.

Manager Sarah Williams said they got involved in 2011 because of Mr Breacker’s self and environmental neglect, his poor personal care and his alcohol intake. “We were concerned for the reasons of his alcohol intake and the impact that was having on his daily living,” she said. “Throughout the three years he was known to us there were numerous attempts made.

“It appears that Mr Breacker when intoxicated was difficult to engage with. When he was sober he was very amenable, charming and very articulate and would accept assistance. He did on occasion agree to respite (where he could have a shower/bath and hot meal), but when the time came for that he would refuse to go.
“He did have a lot of intervention and he built up such a good rapport with the worker in Falmouth that she would visit him ad hoc to make sure he was OK.”

The inquest heard that a post mortem had revealed that Mr Breacker had had pre-existing heart disease, lung disease with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and a fatty liver which was consistent with chronic alcohol abuse. There was also evidence of pneumonia.

etc...

http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/news/fp ... hol_abuse/

I kind of feel a lot of detail in that article was unnecessary. Sign of the times I suppose, pages to fill, sensational scandal to spread...

A good friend of mine recently told me that an elderly acquaintance of hers was found dead at home about two weeks ago. Apparently this elderly woman used to make a daily trip to the corner shop. When the shop employees realised they hadn't seen her for a few days they contacted a neighbour, who went into the home and found her. The concern shown by the employees is laudable, but at the same time it's very sad that the people who seemed to care the most about her were the staff at the corner shop rather than family or friends.

Man's body 'lay in Edinburgh flat for three years'

The body of an elderly man who died in an Edinburgh flat is thought to have lain undiscovered for more than three years.
Henry Summers was found in his top floor flat in Easter Road on Wednesday by police after concerns were raised.
It is understood that police officers had to break down the door of the flat to gain entry.
A post-mortem examination is taking place and a report will be sent to the procurator fiscal.

A 41-year-old neighbour told the BBC Scotland news website that he had known Mr Summers for 10 years.
He said he last saw Mr Summers being stretchered out of his flat in February 2012. He never saw him return, and had assumed that he had died in hospital.
"When it's someone you know you feel shocked. I'm very sad," he said.

The neighbour added: "He would whistle when he went up and down the stairwell on his way to get his morning rolls and newspaper.
"I would speak to him on the stairs, but he never speak about his personal life.
"He was a very nice man. He was always clean shaven and always wore a flat cap and a light blue jacket.
"He used to get a number 35 bus in the morning and return in the afternoon, but we never knew where he went and we never saw any family."

Postman Michael Laidlaw, 41, who has been delivering letters to the flat for almost five years, said he had noticed a smell coming from the property.
He said: "Every time I lifted his letterbox I thought something wasn't right, so I asked my colleague who used to live opposite the man's flat if he had seen him. He said no."

It is believed that the alarm was raised when Mr Summers' GP contacted police because he had not been seen for some time.
A Police Scotland spokeswoman said: "Police were called to a property on Easter Road following reports of concern for the safety of the male occupant.
"The body of a man was found inside. The death is not being treated as suspicious and a report will be sent to the procurator fiscal."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-33285980

Stories like this make me wonder how long my body might lie here if I died in my flat. My pension is paid directly to my bank account, and most of my bills are on direct debit, etc. My credit card bill is the only one that needs any action from me, but if I timed my death carefully, I might only owe a little or nothing at all, so it might be some time before the CC company initiated any action! My GPs might notice my absence, then again they might not. If I miss a dental appointment I just get struck off the list!!

Stories like this make me wonder how long my body might lie here if I died in my flat. My pension is paid directly to my bank account, and most of my bills are on direct debit, etc. My credit card bill is the only one that needs any action from me, but if I timed my death carefully, I might only owe a little or nothing at all, so it might be some time before the CC company initiated any action! My GPs might notice my absence, then again they might not. If I miss a dental appointment I just get struck off the list!!
I'm sure the other people in your sheltered housing would notice.

I'm sure the other people in your sheltered housing would notice.
A few might notice I'd not been around. But residents pop their clogs here quite regularly, so most people might assume I'd died and been dealt with in the normal run of things. A smell might alert some people, but if I had windows open, as I often do, would the smell be detectable inside the building?

A few might notice I'd not been around. But residents pop their clogs here quite regularly, so most people might assume I'd died and been dealt with in the normal run of things. A smell might alert some people, but if I had windows open, as I often do, would the smell be detectable inside the building?
Or you could get an alarm *nag nag nag* .. X

Or you could get an alarm *nag nag nag* .. X
I've got a fecking alarm, as I told you before.
It may surprise you to know it doesn't prevent death!

And some aneurysms can kill you before you hit the floor, leaving no time to press the button anyway.

Back