• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dying Alone & Loners' Unnoticed Deaths

Nah, it was round the corner from the cemetery and was named 'Ashlands' after the owners' son Ashley.

Someone decided that the name and vague proximity to the municipal crematorium constituted an OUTRAGE and there were at least three heated letters about it in the local rag.
The one on the corner of Broad st and Badger av is directly opposite the graveyard isn't it?

I think that everyone who is a 'Covid shut-in' must suffer from some form of poor mental health now. They seem to still be going through the early Covid rituals, sanitising their shopping etc, which have been largely shown to be unnecessary. Even in the shop we've stopped sanitising the tills and card machines, as the general advice from Above is that as Covid is mostly spread by aerosol action, cleaning surfaces is unnecessary.

Mind you, we've not had Norovirus nearly as virulently this year as we usually do, and I suspect that's down to people hand-washing more.

a) I think that everyone who is a 'Covid shut-in' must suffer from some form of poor mental health now. They seem to still be going through the early Covid rituals, sanitising their shopping etc, which have been largely shown to be unnecessary. Even in the shop we've stopped sanitising the tills and card machines, as the general advice from Above is that as Covid is mostly spread by aerosol action, cleaning surfaces is unnecessary.

b) Mind you, we've not had Norovirus nearly as virulently this year as we usually do, and I suspect that's down to people hand-washing more.

a) Amen. The system's hysterical reaction to Covid, and the endless stream of "tractor production" statistics of "cases" and deaths from the media, has indoctrinated people.

b) Possibly because Covid has done exactly what we'd expect, i.e. carry off those most at risk from infections like norovirus. Fewer potential carriers = less chance of spreading.

maximus otter

There are some advantages from living in the UK. Usually only hear about the bad stuff, presumably similar in the States.
Honestly, every time I have been to the UK, I was struck by the general happy, day-to-day living there, much slower paced than the US, shorter working hours, more time to spend with family and friends. And the village type of living with everyone having a garden, flowers everywhere, great open areas of greenery and trees. Very soothing for the mind and blood pressure. I am still amazed at googling where we lived in the UK, still huge open fields. I attended a school in the UK and had to climb over a fence to get there from our apartment - there was a cow in the field, LOL - she used to chase me to the other side of the field, I suppose she was probably playing with me!
Too much commercialization and building on every single square inch here just out of control.

I was struck by the general happy, day-to-day living there, much slower paced than the US, shorter working hours, more time to spend with family and friends. And the village type of living with everyone having a garden, flowers everywhere, great open areas of greenery and trees.

The places visitors see are not typical, in any country. The UK is a deeply-divided place. Best leave it at that.

The one on the corner of Broad st and Badger av is directly opposite the graveyard isn't it?
Nope, it's further up Broad Street. There are private houses on the actual corner.
Even if the cemetery could be overlooked from the care home there are tall trees in the way. A non-story.
The care home has long been renamed Cypress Court.

Nope, it's further up Broad Street. There are private houses on the actual corner.
Even if the cemetery could be overlooked from the care home there are tall trees in the way. A non-story.
The care home has long been renamed Cypress Court.
Is it possible those houses weren't there for a while after the care home was built? I am talking of a good while ago.

My mate once drove down Broad street and overtook all the cars thinking that they were parked up. When he got to the lights he realised they were actually waiting at the lights, and so turned to the right and pretended he was going there.

The places visitors see are not typical, in any country. The UK is a deeply-divided place. Best leave it at that.
Perhaps not, but don't forget I was visiting with family members, in different locations. And we visited London, Windsor Castle, Chalfont St Giles, Aylesbury, Beaconsfield, all the shops. Guess it goes with individual perception, and from where I come from I was struck by UK's charm.
But as you said, I didn't see everything - I really wanted to see Leece Street in Liverpool (my Grandmother was from Liverpool and her maiden name was Leece), and Ilkley Moor!

My mate once drove down Broad street and overtook all the cars thinking that they were parked up. When he got to the lights he realised they were actually waiting at the lights, and so turned to the right and pretended he was going there.
How... British. When I was still car commuting, I used to laugh my head off at people who overtook queues without realising that they were all waiting too, and then had to try and cut into the line. There was general reluctance to give way, owing to our national obsession with queueing correctly.

a) Amen. The system's hysterical reaction to Covid, and the endless stream of "tractor production" statistics of "cases" and deaths from the media, has indoctrinated people.

b) Possibly because Covid has done exactly what we'd expect, i.e. carry off those most at risk from infections like norovirus. Fewer potential carriers = less chance of spreading.

maximus otter
We've been hearing that this virus is rapidly losing its strength and fading away, at least where we are.
Is that the case in the UK?

How... British. When I was still car commuting, I used to laugh my head off at people who overtook queues without realising that they were all waiting too, and then had to try and cut into the line. There was general reluctance to give way, owing to our national obsession with queueing correctly.
I was once headed down a dual carriageway and there were warning signs for miles saying that the outside lane was closed up ahead. Of course one idiot blatantly thought the rules didn't apply to him, and overtook everyone right down to the last car. They wouldn't let him in, neither would the one behind, or the one behind, then me and after I'd gone through I looked in my mirrors and he was still left stuck waiting for someone to let him in.
Everyone had seen what he had done and it 'just wasn't cricket old boy'. He's probably still there now.

I'll never get over the Brits queuing up at bus stops, what manners!

Perhaps not, but don't forget I was visiting with family members, in different locations. And we visited London, Windsor Castle, Chalfont St Giles, Aylesbury, Beaconsfield, all the shops. Guess it goes with individual perception, and from where I come from I was struck by UK's charm.
But as you said, I didn't see everything - I really wanted to see Leece Street in Liverpool (my Grandmother was from Liverpool and her maiden name was Leece), and Ilkley Moor!
Just stay away from Hertfordshire. Trev lives there.

I was once headed down a dual carriageway and there were warning signs for miles saying that the outside lane was closed up ahead. Of course one idiot blatantly thought the rules didn't apply to him, and overtook everyone right down to the last car. They wouldn't let him in, neither would the one behind, or the one behind, then me and after I'd gone through I looked in my mirrors and he was still left stuck waiting for someone to let him in.
Everyone had seen what he had done and it 'just wasn't cricket old boy'. He's probably still there now.
Oh, over here many try to do that - we solve the situation by just letting them in, each car lets another car in all the way down the line.

I'll never get over the Brits queuing up at bus stops, what manners!
It's perhaps changing now, but it never ceases to amaze me how lots of us don't speak out more. I was in a supermarket with narrow aisles and there was a worker in the way with a cage that he was stocking the shelves from. An old couple just stood there and I could see they were annoyed, but the wouldn't say anything to him. I went past the old couple and said to the guy working there ''excuse me'' and he apologised and moved out of the way.

It's perhaps changing now, but it never ceases to amaze me how lots of us don't speak out more. I was in a supermarket with narrow aisles and there was a worker in the way with a cage that he was stocking the shelves from. An old couple just stood there and I could see they were annoyed, but the wouldn't say anything to him. I went past the old couple and said to the guy working there ''excuse me'' and he apologised and moved out of the way.
My British Mum was like that, she would never think of complaining or speaking out, she was a sweetheart.
Oh dear, I must have taken after the Polish side of the family..........

Never heard of 'zipping', but I don't believe it's required here, just too many people and the easiest and quickest way to solve it.
Well in most states you are supposed to alternate at the merge point. According to the folks who run the traffic simulations it's the most efficient method (rather than sticking your corner in front of the first car on the merge side that looks to be chicken.)

Never heard of 'zipping', but I don't believe it's required here, just too many people and the easiest and quickest way to solve it.
The guy I mentioned though had deliberately gone past everyone else who were queuing in one lane and in the proper fashion. That's why no one let him in.

Egyptian traffic is amazing. Very little aggression even though no one pays any attention to dividing lines. Or traffic lights for that matter. And three people on a motorbike - husband,wife, child or baby (and usually with a ladder for some bizzare reason) is not an uncommon site. They brought a new rule in in the mid 90s that you 'must' put your headlights on when driving at night. In true Egyptian style, the 'rule' is more of a suggestion.

Egyptian traffic is amazing. Very little aggression even though no one pays any attention to dividing lines. Or traffic lights for that matter. And three people on a motorbike - husband,wife, child or baby (and usually with a ladder for some bizzare reason) is not an uncommon site. They brought a new rule in in the mid 90s that you 'must' put your headlights on when driving at night. In true Egyptian style, the 'rule' is more of a suggestion.
I was in a minibus on a tour of Cairo, back in '92 when our driver announced that we would be going the wrong way down a one-way street, because it was quicker and "...it is only a five Egyptian pound fine, if the Police bother". Later there was the U-turn across three lanes of traffic so we could get a better look at the place, where President Sadat had been assassinated. As the traffic seems to keep flowing without the multiple collisions. The way the buses get used is amazing too, no-one bothers if bus is at an official stop. or whether or not it's moving.

I was in a minibus on a tour of Cairo, back in '92 when our driver announced that we would be going the wrong way down a one-way street, because it was quicker and "...it is only a five Egyptian pound fine, if the Police bother". Later there was the U-turn across three lanes of traffic so we could get a better look at the place, where President Sadat had been assassinated. As the traffic seems to keep flowing without the multiple collisions. The way the buses get used is amazing too, no-one bothers if bus is at an official stop. or whether or not it's moving.
I once looked out my 'hotel' window in downtown Cairo and saw two guys herding goats across a major road. In the rush hour. And no one thought it unusual. Marvelous city.

Back