• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Earliest Memories

My earliest memory is of the day my sister was born, I was 2 and a half. In the evening my dad took me to the hospital and I waited with a nurse while he popped in first. I just remember sitting on a chair in the corridor swinging my legs, I don't remember actually seeing and holding her.

What a dull first memory!

After that I don't remember much until my brother was born 16 months later.

I can recall almost drowning when I was three. I remember that was the first time I had my eyes open underwater and that the water looked surprisingly cloudy. I suppose I remember it because it was traumatic. I was afraid of deep water until I was in my early twenties, although I did learn to swim in spite of the fear.

Fallen Angel, reading your post about almost drowning reminded me of a stupid thing I did when I was about 6.

I was at the swimming baths with my older cousin, I think she would have been about 11. She was in the big pool and I was in the "baby pool".

I must mention that I attended a Catholic Junior School, so I was well versed in biblical stories and suchlike.

Anyway, whilst swimming around with my orange water wings on my arms, I thought to myself, hey, if these things keep my arms above the water and I put them on my feet I'll be able to walk on the water like Jesus!

So one by one, I took them off my arms and put them around my ankles, ready to perform my "miracle".

As soon as I tried to "stand on the water" I flipped upside down, my legs in the air and my head under the water. I struggled to right myself but the buoyancy on my feet made it impossible.

Despite all this thrashing around and kicking my feet not one of the lifeguards sitting by the pool noticed my distress.

I was at the point of almost drowning when by some uncanny coincidence my cousin came and rescued me. For some strange reason she had been drawn to leave the big pool and come and see how I was. Whatever it was that made her get out of that big pool resulted in her saving my life.

WARNING
Miracles are performed my Sons of God utilizing divine intervention and should under no circumstances be attempted in your own home (or pool)!!

I have 2 very early memories, but one may be the memory of a memory

The first, doubtful one, is being in a pram and noticing the shaddows on a wall. The hood of the pram is up. Then I close my eye and I must have slept because I recall opening my eyes again and the shaddows had moved further across the wall.

The second is from before I can walk. I am under the kitchen table and my Mother calls the dog and puts a bowl down for it. This is in the 50's and I remmber finding the smell of the dog food so enticing.

Vivid cot/ baby memories

Hey, this is my first proper post here so be kind to a long-time lurker 8)

I have very vivid memories from being in my cot. Apart from being fascinated by the car headlights that used to light up my room, when someone would drive up the road, I remember lying there looking at the wallpaper, owls, frogs, hedgehogs and ducks as little cartoon characters ( Peter Rabbit stylee). I remember looking at them and thinking in my head "duck" , "frog" etc. and found it amusing the frog had a little fisherman's rod and was fishing in a pond. :?

Anyway, I also have very vivid memories of my breathing, this is going to sound so crazy, but I remember being soooo aware of my breathing that I would amuse myself by holding my breath :? and breathing in and out at different speeds, don't ask, I have no idea why. :p

Well, I thought I must have been alot older, mixing up memories and I was just imagining being in my cot when actually it was a bed and I was about 2!!! But when I told this to my mum, apart from laughing at her crazy child, she said that that animal wallpaper was painted over when I was about 9 mths, to a nice baby blue with rainbow. Something I remember being my brothers room (he had that room after me)

Is that odd? I mean, a 9 mth baby thinking about its breathing and knowing animal names without being told them??

Also, I have a vivid memory of being in a cornflower blue living room. All I see of the room is blue walls, a mahogany coffee table and a grandfather clock by the door, also some forget-me-not fabric somewhere, like on a cushion. When I think of the room I think of a jolly rounded person in their 60s with dyed dark blonde fluffy hair and I never thought anything about this until I mentionned it to my Nan and she said that my Great Aunty (so her sister) had a living room just like and she fits the description that but she died before I was born. :shock: :?

I seem to attract alot of Fortean events, which I will post another time, could this be why???

Wow, um...well, did your great aunt die while your mom was pregnant with you by any chance? Babies who are not born yet are aware of their surroundings to some extent, although I don't know how they could see a room.

Also, as far as knowing the names of the animals is concerned, are you sure no one ever mentioned them in your presense? People learn language partially just from hearing it used, and I have heard that babies can actually understand words before they are able to talk, it's just that their vocal cords arn't developed enought at that age to speak.

Firstly :hello: apocolypse cow and welcome. I am glad you bumped this thread.

My first memory is of sitting in my pushchair (apparently I was about a year old) and watching someone fall down a cliff.

A youth fell down a cliff face at Dovedale in Derbyshire opposite to where my family were pushing me. I vaguely recall the fuss and someone dipping a hanky in the river to mop up blood. I don't think he was seriously hurt though. But a strange memory all the same :shock:

I don't remember anything before I was about 3. I feel deprived. Although a friend of mine can't remember anything before she was about 8!

My first memory is of lying in a cot and my mother coming to feed me. She said to me: I hope you don't bite me like you did yesterday" and I thought " Did I do that"?

I remember being in my crib when i couldnt even stand. My parents had friends over and i was put to bed early. I remember holding onto the bars so i could stand, and crying a ton.

So this was before i could stand which babies do that at 9 months or something? No clue.

i can remember the babysitter taking me out of my cot because i was crying - can't remember why though
so i must have been quite small

Also have some really odd vague memories of place that no one else seems to remember, including a butchers shop with a really friendly butcher in some sort of 60's looking housing estate, which i just can't pin down,

a while ago i asked my dad about it but he couldn't think what i could be remembering

i also have a memory of the hallway in a house that according to all my relatives i couldn't possibly remember, don't know if they meant i shouldn't be able to remember it cos i was little or cos i'd never been there

but this butchers shop.. it's driving me mad!

Memories....
I remember when I was really little being in an elevator with monsters and pink balloons. (must have been a dream :D )

Also remember losing a stuffed animal when I was 2. My mom was pushing me in the stroller and I dropped it. We went back for it but it was gone.

Tim Bucknall said:
but this butchers shop.. it's driving me mad!

I'm thinking past life, small possibility. Especially since your parents have no clue, and they obviously would have been the ones to take you there. Maybe you worked at the barber shop in the 60's at a past life? How old are you. You become incredibly familiar with a palce I've heard that you can recall it in your next life faintly. Its not out of the question.

yeah its so wierd, i wondered the same thing myself a few times, pity i can't remember anything else as clear as this memory
i "think" i was a small child when i visited this butchers shop cos the man behind the counter was making a fuss of me like you do with kids,

i think I remember it well enough that i could draw small map of the immediate area surrounding the shop,
you know those wierd (60's?) developments where you have a few shops in with a residential area it was like that

i think i used to remember more detail of it when i was younger

edit- nearly forgot yes i'm 26

I have some vague memories of being 2 yrs old: having a cast on my leg, and some memories of my family's trip to Germany later that year. Then there's a bit of a gap until just before I started school. (Oddly, there are very few pictures of me as a young'un; maybe I just disappeared. ;) ) Also I have no memory of not being able to read.

Being attacked by wasps while eating an orange ice-lolly on the beach at Lytham St Annes when I was two.

My first memory was of being taken into the kitchen which had dark blue tiles on the floor and a bird cage on a stand in the corner. Next to the stand was my red toy box.

One day the stand dissapeared and I found my toybox replacing it.

This was of the budgie who died when I was six months.

I also recall being bathed in the kitchen sink so i must have been very small at the time, to use a sink as a bathtub.

Tim Bucknall said:
yeah its so wierd, i wondered the same thing myself a few times, pity i can't remember anything else as clear as this memory
i "think" i was a small child when i visited this butchers shop cos the man behind the counter was making a fuss of me like you do with kids,

i think I remember it well enough that i could draw small map of the immediate area surrounding the shop,
you know those wierd (60's?) developments where you have a few shops in with a residential area it was like that

i think i used to remember more detail of it when i was younger

edit- nearly forgot yes i'm 26

Your memory is very interesting. 2 more possibilities i know could be true....

You'd seen this on a TV show. I've got memories i later found out were from a TV show. But if you regard them as a real memory for such a period of time, then it sort of becomes one.

Another one is that your description is not similar to how your mother would of described it. Example being, if you said that the building was green and she remembers the building being a teal or blue, then she may completely disagree with you, leaving you thinking she has no recollection of it. Also, may have not been a barber but something similar, you remember a barber but your mom knows it was actually a nail place, etc etc.. And when your memories dont match up perfectly, then you each disregard the others storey without considering it may be the same thing. See? I kinda explained it weird.

I remember being at a family picnic by a creek in eastern Kentucky when I was about two. Some of the older kids were throwing rocks in the water and I wanted to too. I picked up a rock (needed both hands). Unfortunately, when I drew back to throw, I popped my mom on the nose (She was sitting behind me). There was some blood and a good bit of crying on both our parts. :oops:

Dib

Where has my post gone???

I posted something in the "it happened to me" section and it been apparently moved here but I can't see it ???

:oops:

thats sooo odd, I thought I read every post on this thread :lol: thanks again Quixote. 8)

:hello: elffriend

Rainyforest.... :) No, I think she died almost a year before I was born. Re animals, I guess I must have heard my mum or dad talking about them, I can't remember it but it seems the only explanation :D

Early memories -- I can remember watching the "Thriller" video debut on television late one night (I'd been allowed to stay up to see it) with my parents. I would've been two years old then. More than the video, I remember needing the dulcet, soothing sounds of Kenny Rogers (!) to get to sleep, as the video had scared me so much. :shock: I had a tape player near my bed that I played every night to get to sleep, but this night sticks out because I actually made it to side two.

I can also remember waking in the middle of the night and calling for my daddy to bring me a glass of water, but my nana came instead and told me dad was at the hospital with mom, and they would bring my baby brother or sister when they came home. I remember being quite put out that noone had thought to take me along. I would've been three at this point.

I remember lots from my 3-5 years, mostly playing with other kids that lived near my nana, but also other things. I can remember "fighting" her vaccuum cleaner after seeing "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" (the vaccuum was the giant squid, obviously). Most of my memories are play-related, although I vividly remember the hallucinations I had while under anaesthesia for surgery to repair a broken arm when I was just 4. All kaleidoscope-y and weird... it was very confusing because I thought I was watching my surgery at the time it was happening, and I was scared the doctors and nurses wouldn't be able to work while they were swirling around like that.

Just been reading a bit on oxytocin, birth and memory, when I came across this in respect of pre-natal memory.

Why is it, however, that adults almost universally have no memory of these formative experiences without the aid of hypnosis, certain drugs, or various psychoanalytical techniques -- memories retrieved from the sixth, and particularly the eighth month, showing that the brain is operating near adult levels? One of the hormones which induce labor, oxytocin, has been found to wipe out memory. Animals given oxytocin, for instance, were unable to remember tasks they had been trained to perform perfectly before........
Quite interesting and makes me wonder how chemical and hormone levels affect recall post-natally for the child.

The article also notes:

Interestingly, psychiatrists who regularly regress patients to birth and prebirth often report on experiences that appear to go as far back as conception. Dr. Verny hypothesizes another, intuitive form of memory which can be stored on a cellular level, allowing even an ovum or sperm to record and retain memories.

regularly regress sets off alarm bells somewhere in my head, but interesting point on cellular memory that feeds into the notion of phantom limbs.

i think my earliest really clear memory is my third birthday - i got a big dark red rabbit cuddly toy which i named burgundy (what a stuck-up little bitch i must have been), and a vague recollection of buying a kitten a few days later. i remember i wanted a girl cat, and i remember naming her "crackerplonds" (we still have her, she lives with my parents because when i moved out she was too old to be moved, and landlords don't like cats. we call her crackers nowadays).

another early memory is sitting at the kitchen table, my mother coughing with a mouthful of tea. it came out of her nose. i was very, very surprised by this.

i think my earliest memory of all is probably going on the top deck of a london bus, but it's a very vague memory. when i came to live in birmingham, with its amazing big buses, at the age of 18, i had a feeling that i had been on the top deck of a london bus once, when i was very small, but thought i could have been imagining it. my mother confirmed that i had though, and thinks i was probably one at the time.

My memory goes back to about two years old, I recall my sister being fed a rusk and being lucky enough to get one too, which was great as I loved rusks. I wonder if they still taste as good?

I can remember my earliest TV memory which is watching a Sontaran's head deflating on Doctor Who - this was on the first of March 1975, about five to six.

Then there's the memory of seeing a lunar landscape out of the bathroom window, which I think I've mentioned here before.

Aged about two in my parent's old place in Surrey. I remember diggers as they were building across the fields to the rear of our house. Apparently, I was utterly transfixed by them and would watch for hours, so my parents let me eat at the window.

They bought me a toy digger, too. 8)

I actually seem to remember something from being an infant. I was lying in my crib while a bunch of adults stood around smiling at me and fussing over me. The memory has been with me as long as I can remember - it's a very brief memory, just a couple of seconds.

Of course, I'm over 40 now so who knows how accurate that memory is? :?

Back