• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Earth Oddities Seen In Google Maps / Earth / Street View

Over christmas I was talking to my broth in law about a near by pub with it's own brewery. In fact it's a brewery with pub attached. The pub bit is members only and you have a swipe card to unlock the door and get in.
I wanted to show him what it looks like on the outside, as you can't really tell it's a pub, so I brought it up on street view. Only to find that street view goes inside.

Inside the pub

liveinabin1 said:
Over christmas I was talking to my broth in law about...

I, too, have relatives who resemble soups... :lol:

liveinabin1 said:
Over christmas I was talking to my broth in law about a near by pub with it's own brewery. In fact it's a brewery with pub attached. The pub bit is members only and you have a swipe card to unlock the door and get in.
I wanted to show him what it looks like on the outside, as you can't really tell it's a pub, so I brought it up on street view. Only to find that street view goes inside.
Amazing place, I don't think I've ever seen a bar so sparklingly clean.

Amazing place, I don't think I've ever seen a bar so sparklingly clean.

I was expecting something more like The Grove in Leeds, great folk pub, great ales but perhaps last redecorated cira 1967. :lol:

It looks too new to have good beer!

It is spanking new, I think the pictures were taken when it had just opened. It's certainly not been open a year yet.

All the beer is brewed on site and is very very good.
If you go downstairs you can see where they brew it.
Used to be a Lloyds Bank you know.

I, too, have relatives who resemble soups...
And now you come to mention it, he is not unlike soup.

Ooh look, you can see where they keep their safe...

The safe is of course a left over from when it was a bank. No idea if they use it or not.

While satisfying my temporary Scandinavian webcam obsession I noticed this strange occurrence. Taking one "step" along this bridge moves you from summer to winter:

* Forum URL codes do not seem to work with these links ...

https://www.google.nl/maps/preview#!dat ... !1e4&fid=5

https://www.google.nl/maps/preview#!dat ... !1e4&fid=5

I find it strange, because this is a road to nowhere (just see the map) and driving the Google car along it twice must be expensive. Why should they have done that?

I agree. I've been obsessively hunting for webcams and I've tried to find the on Google streetview. But while doing that (and spending several hours clicking) I feel like I've been on a real journey. I really have a holiday feeling from looking at the pictures :D

More here: This could be landscapes from the MYST computer geme:

https://www.google.nl/maps/preview#!dat ... !2e0&fid=5

I assume we have all played geo guesser?
We actually sat round as a family and played it at Christmas.

If you've not played it then the idea is that street view drops you in a random location and you have to work out where you are.

liveinabin1 said:
I assume we have all played geo guesser?
We actually sat round as a family and played it at Christmas.

If you've not played it then the idea is that street view drops you in a random location and you have to work out where you are.
I've played. I'm really bad at it unless there's at least a sign or something visible to I can see the local language. :D

Google Maps at present if you search 'Russell Square, London' you get a nice shot of an airplane right over the square. Surprised how low it seems, probably a smaller jet headed to London City but it does look pretty big for flying over the city centre.

McAvennie_ said:
Google Maps at present if you search 'Russell Square, London' you get a nice shot of an airplane right over the square. Surprised how low it seems, probably a smaller jet headed to London City but it does look pretty big for flying over the city centre.

:shock: I just had a look at that - amazing! It looks like a plane the size of a 737 to me, larger that those that go in and out of City airport as far as I know.
Also it is flying North to South, Which is really unusual as in my experience nearly all low planes over London go East to West, generally following the river to land at Heathrow.
Maybe it is not really that low and was flying South form another airport - but I thought they avoided central London.
Well spotted though :)

Except it's not done by satellite, it's done with planes.

My mistake. There was a lot of publicity for flyovers by the planes a while back, and I thought they were coin that everywhere.

Back