• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Earth Oddities Seen In Google Maps / Earth / Street View

Open-cast mine.

That figure looks terribly sad and lonely, somehow. I trust NASA do the right thing, and organise a rescue.

Seriously, that was a great find. unlike most of the other "lunar artefact" videos clickable from that link!

garrick92 said:
Ooh, that is odd. Good choice of eerie music, too.
What is odd is that the claimed 'shadow' lies the wrong way!

Look at the lighting of the craters before the image zooms in too much - the sunlight comes from the lower right of the picture. So the shadow of the 'man' should lie towards the top left. ;)

(This is a common sort of illusion when looking at pics of the moon, asteroids, etc, because here on earth the light normally comes from above, and we expect shadows to be 'below'.)

Apart from that, nice music! ;)

rynner2 said:
Look at the lighting of the craters before the image zooms in too much - the sunlight comes from the lower right of the picture. So the shadow of the 'man' should lie towards the top left.
But we're making assumptions on which is the "shadow", based purely on the orientation of the pictures. Maybe man is shadow, and shadow, man.

If it is a figure or artifact, I would say it would have to be HUGE.

Peripart said:
rynner2 said:
Look at the lighting of the craters before the image zooms in too much - the sunlight comes from the lower right of the picture. So the shadow of the 'man' should lie towards the top left.
But we're making assumptions on which is the "shadow", based purely on the orientation of the pictures. Maybe man is shadow, and shadow, man.
Yes, I thought of that. but does rotating the image 180 give a more impressive image? I think not!

No. 12 is amazing - the composition and everything is just perfect! I could imagine it as a Cartier-Bresson (if it were black and white and not so blurry!)

As you know I waste my time by watching Norwegian traffic webcams and writing about them :oops:
Recently they've started censoring some pictures. See the black rectangles. I suppose someone complained of privacy violations?
http://uair01.blogspot.nl/2015/11/from-strange-planet-9.html

And could it be that this person is letting him/herself be photographed by the webcam intentionally? This is the road to the North Cape so this might be a "cool" action:

696964-17-8-2015-8-43-37.jpg

As you know I waste my time by watching Norwegian traffic webcams and writing about them :oops:
Recently they've started censoring some pictures. See the black rectangles. I suppose someone complained of privacy violations?

And could it be that this person is letting him/herself be photographed by the webcam intentionally? This is the road to the North Cape so this might be a "cool" action:

View attachment 1551

I love these webcams, they're right up my street. And agree that they're quite Lynchian. Also I'm sharing the link to your brilliant site to my occult group's page over on facebook

View attachment 1551

There's a channel on Icelandic tv, I can't remember what the channel is called off the top of my head. with camera footage of roads among other things. I've found it rather serene, in a way to watch

that's very interesting uair01 - not seen anything like that before.

All kinds of things get blurred out on Google Street View. Presumably some automated software picks out something that looks like a face and then applies its blurring routine.

The cul-de-sac I live on is blurred out, you can't move the little yellow fella down it to see the houses, it stops you at the entrance to the close.

It's a private road, and the Google car obviously obeyed the little sign!

They'll pull chunks of the map on streetview if homeowners complain, one of my neighbours did just after it went live, I forget what it was with regards to... if I move the pov along my street, it doesn't tell me that anything's been pulled, it just jumps to the other side of it.

I can relate to that. I discovered a long-ago memory on You Tube; Neil Innes performing one of his parody songs on, I think, Eric Idle's post-Python show Rutland Weekend Television. An amusing skit on Stenie Wonder's Superstition, that involves a nerdy student type going to the laundrette and being totally oblivious of the girl in the laundry who is giving him some pretty definite come-on signs... I was delighted to find the video had been preserved for posterity and watched it, realising that at one point a street sign is clearly visible for a second or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjyvP1qMucY

So I googled on "Abbotsford Road", discovered it was in Bristol, and realised I could follow Neil's cycle ride to the laundrette. It was also fun to see how the place had changed since the 1970's -but the launderette is still there! (BS6 6HB, if anyone's interested). Interestingly, the higher end of Abbotsford Road appears to have gone seriously upmarket: there is a whole chunk of the local area where Street view just does not go, for some unspecified reason. Streets you cannot go down or investigate, however hard you try to drop the little man there. I wondered if an MP or other prestigious person who values their privacy lives there. Enjoy the video, anyway. Neil Innes' bike ride may still be tracked, but there appear to be ten times as many cars there these days.

I can relate to that. I discovered a long-ago memory on You Tube; Neil Innes performing one of his parody songs on, I think, Eric Idle's post-Python show Rutland Weekend Television. An amusing skit on Stenie Wonder's Superstition, that involves a nerdy student type going to the laundrette and being totally oblivious of the girl in the laundry who is giving him some pretty definite come-on signs... I was delighted to find the video had been preserved for posterity and watched it, realising that at one point a street sign is clearly visible for a second or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjyvP1qMucY
So I googled on "Abbotsford Road", discovered it was in Bristol, and realised I could follow Neil's cycle ride to the laundrette. It was also fun to see how the place had changed since the 1970's -but the launderette is still there! (BS6 6HB, if anyone's interested). Interestingly, the higher end of Abbotsford Road appears to have gone seriously upmarket: there is a whole chunk of the local area where Street view just does not go, for some unspecified reason. Streets you cannot go down or investigate, however hard you try to drop the little man there. I wondered if an MP or other prestigious person who values their privacy lives there. Enjoy the video, anyway. Neil Innes' bike ride may still be tracked, but there appear to be ten times as many cars there these days.

I watched Get Carter the other night and looked up locations. Hardly any of the places in the movie now exist but a few remain and look a lot less gritty.
The street where Micheal Caine stayed in a B&B still exists but what appeared to be wasteground in the movie is now a school.
https://goo.gl/maps/ZwH2Xpubhy52

Bigphoot2 - my MIL used to live in the house in Get Carter that the Alf Roberts character lived in. It was in Durham, but has been demolished for new houses now. I used to walk past it quite a lot and it still had the pond out front.

Back