• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Earth Oddities Seen In Google Maps / Earth / Street View

A Dutch blogger explored Norilsk and saw coloured people. He wanted to buy such a monochrome suit.
Then he found someone already had researched the mystery. See the Youtube video at the bottom:
https://drabkikker.com/2019/07/12/kleur-in-norilsk/

Is there any explanation for who the people are or what they are doing? It seems very mysterious.

The man narrating the video has a very sexy accent, by the way. :oops: :shy:

Is there any explanation for who the people are or what they are doing? It seems very mysterious.

The man narrating the video has a very sexy accent, by the way. :oops: :shy:

They are referred to as the "Google Men" but it's not clear whether their Street View colour-spotting game was an official Google promotion or some sort of students' lark.

Last edited:
WTF! How did it jump so high?
Kit Williams is back to his old tricks, I'll bet!

OK... here's an earlier view. The car must have knocked the hare flying:
https://www.google.com/maps/@49.917...4!1sYm6CkuPdOEB3eux-w0AWFA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
It get weirder, if you click farther along the roads you can see it in other frames. Also the frame you showed has it jumping in the opposite direction from my initial post.
https://www.google.com/maps/@49.918...4!1s1vXZbyDYwWmKtSFGtL1okA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.917...4!1sQAxkd6rLTcm174XPhadZCQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Remains of missing man found on Google Earth after 20 years after submerged car spotted in lake

TELEMMGLPICT000209298879_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqNwJyN5aFH1f8m-UGCq32YESXDVobHLbZZp-A_Kknc4M.jpeg

The remains of a man who went missing more than two decades ago have been found after his car was spotted on Google Earth submerged in a lake.

William Earl Moldt, 40, disappeared after he set out to drive home from a nightclub on Nov 7, 1997 in Lantana, Florida.

A property surveyor looking at Google Earth spotted the car on August 28 this year. Palm Beach County sheriff's deputies went to look at the vehicle, finding it was heavily calcified and had been there for a long time.

When they pulled it out they found skeletal remains inside. A coroner has now confirmed that they belonged to Mr Moldt.

The car had been driven into a man-made lake on a housing estate, which was under construction at the time he vanished.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/09/12/remains-missing-man-found-google-earth-20-years/

maximus otter

Kind of fits here, maybe. How to hoax google maps.

Artist Simon Weckert walked the streets of Berlin tugging a red wagon behind him. Wherever he went, Google Maps showed a congested traffic jam. People using Google Maps would see a thick red line indicating congestion on the road, even when there was no traffic at all. Each and every one of those 99 phones had Google Maps open, giving the virtual illusion that the roads were jam packed.

“By transporting the smartphones in the street I’m able to generate virtual traffic which will navigate cars on another route,” Weckert told Motherboard in a Twitter DM. “Ironically that can generate a real traffic jam somewhere else in the city.”

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...-google-maps-using-a-red-wagon-full-of-phones

Kind of fits here, maybe. How to hoax google maps.

Artist Simon Weckert walked the streets of Berlin tugging a red wagon behind him. Wherever he went, Google Maps showed a congested traffic jam. People using Google Maps would see a thick red line indicating congestion on the road, even when there was no traffic at all. Each and every one of those 99 phones had Google Maps open, giving the virtual illusion that the roads were jam packed.

“By transporting the smartphones in the street I’m able to generate virtual traffic which will navigate cars on another route,” Weckert told Motherboard in a Twitter DM. “Ironically that can generate a real traffic jam somewhere else in the city.”

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...-google-maps-using-a-red-wagon-full-of-phones
Some writer will make this a plot point in a movie by next week.

819 McKean Avenue, Baltimore, MD

It is one of the bad neighbourhoods of Baltimore and if you look at 819 it is boarded up and through the upstairs windows you see the roof has caved in.

However, you also see something on the roof is blurred out and something in the window like a person just walking into shot. Also blurred out.

It is odd as other open windows are not blurred out. Could it be a crime scene that had not been reported/found and was spotted on Google Maps? or is this blurring a regular occurrence on Google Maps for another reason.

Close up of the blurred area attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-21 at 16.15.11.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-21 at 16.15.11.png
    437.7 KB · Views: 57
819 McKean Avenue, Baltimore, MD

It is one of the bad neighbourhoods of Baltimore and if you look at 819 it is boarded up and through the upstairs windows you see the roof has caved in.

However, you also see something on the roof is blurred out and something in the window like a person just walking into shot. Also blurred out.

It is odd as other open windows are not blurred out. Could it be a crime scene that had not been reported/found and was spotted on Google Maps? or is this blurring a regular occurrence on Google Maps for another reason.

Close up of the blurred area attached.
Google Maps has an algorithm that blurs out faces or things that look like faces. Also, some signs.

Guess it could have just been something that looked like a face, I guess I've watched too many episodes of The Wire...

In the early hours this morning, on BBC Radio Five Live's phone in, one guy swore blind that Skull Island, the legendary domain of King Kong, is a real place. He elaborated that it is home to some degenerate and retarded (his word not mine) descendants of shipwrecked sailors and natives, along with real prehistoric creatures. The radio presenter did, unsurprisingly, scoff a bit (albeit politely) and said that surely it is just fiction.
Before being cut off, the man was adamant that apparently the British military know about the place and there's a big conspiracy to prevent wider knowledge.

A quick Google reveals this oddity in the Pacific, just south of the equator!

kong.JPG

In the early hours this morning, on BBC Radio Five Live's phone in, one guy swore blind that Skull Island, the legendary domain of King Kong, is a real place. He elaborated that it is home to some degenerate and retarded (his word not mine) descendants of shipwrecked sailors and natives, along with real prehistoric creatures. The radio presenter did, unsurprisingly, scoff a bit (albeit politely) and said that surely it is just fiction.
Before being cut off, the man was adamant that apparently the British military know about the place and there's a big conspiracy to prevent wider knowledge.

A quick Google reveals this oddity in the Pacific, just south of the equator!

View attachment 30336
Pitcairn Islands?

I'm sure things like this are common in Streetview, but I was still tickled to come across one myself. :D

I was looking up a pub (the Buxted Inn, in er.. Buxted) in a village that was mentioned in another thread ("What Do Road Ghosts Do When There's No Traffic?") and came across an oddity that had me totally confused for a few moments. It's apparently where different dated surveys have been 'stitched' together. But it's not just two surveys but three!

In the first (survey date July 2009) you have a nice English village pub, with a beer garden
1627035819245.png

I moved forward a couple of feet in Streetview - and jumped forward temporally to August 2011!:
1627035961351.png

Going up the street a few yards took me to March 2021 and made things yet worse:
1627036556370.png

I'm going back to Summer 2009, and going for a beer in the beer garden (if any of you would like to join me). :beer:

They knocked down that lovely pub! :(
I know, it was a gorgeous solid building with a supportive clientele.
The stables at the back were apparently Grade 2 listed. Didn't stop the whole lot from being flattened.

Wouldn't be so bad except the redeveloped roundabout is rubbish.

Back