• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Earth Oddities Seen In Google Maps / Earth / Street View

just to say that the site above is really good and worth a look. There is even a whole section on weirdness at the very bottom! Brilliant!

What about a hovering car?

Perth's 'hovering car'

By Stephen Hutcheon
January 30, 2006 - 12:08PM

Eagle eyed users of the satellite imaging service Google Earth have spotted what appears to be a car hovering above the ground in a suburban Perth car park.

The photo is of a car park just off Honour Avenue at Point Walter in the affluent south western suburb of Bicton. The spot is a popular picnic location on the banks of the Swan River.

A number of cars are shown in parking bays and the vehicle in question appears to hovering above the ground nearby, its shadow clearly visible beneath.

Google Earth images are mostly taken by satellites - and sometimes by aircraft - within the past three years and there are no "live" images on the site.

The intriguing image was reported last week by the British IT news website, The Register.

One the the website's readers subsequently visited the very spot and sent in photos showing that there were no unusual structures there that could explain the phenomenon.

Other sceptical readers wrote in insisting the image was an optical illusion and was either a bus shelter, a pergola, a hole in the ground. One said it was obviously "Harry Potter and his friends on vacation".

Google Earth, launched last year, allows users to zoom across the planet and drill down to a height of about 300 metres. The program also has "tilt" function to give a side or angled view of an area or object.

Cars and boats are clearly visible at this level and in some areas, where even higher definition images are available, people can be seen.

The Google service has spawned a group of devoted followers who scour the satellite images for strange sightings. Users in the past have spotted a Stealth bomber parked on a runway in California, commercial planes in mid-flight and an image of what appears to be a ship on its side in a river estuary in Scotland.

The service has been critcised for giving terrorists a bird's eye view of sensitive areas, such as the Lucas Heights reactor in Sydney and Parliament House in Canberra.

It has also given stickybeaks an opportunity to peer into neighbourhood backyards and the home of the rich and famous.

(The hovering car can also been seen in this image on the Google Local service. People who have downloaded the free Google Earth software can see the car image here.)

www.smh.com.au/articles/2006/01/30/1138469638185.html

Google earth does have some fascinating things on it, if you click the google earth community tab in the earth program it will show every single thing that people have found and marked on Google earth.

Area 51 is interesting to look at, not so much the site itself but things that are around the site, some very interesting pictures on the ground, and more runways surrounding Groom lake than you think!

So far ive seen the flying car, the several UFO's in florida, Americas Nuclear subs, some very strange parts of land covered up by big black squares and triangles (some of these blocked out by Google themselves!).

I would suggest for anyone who has Google earth, to pay some close attention to Moscow, Florida, India, Siberia, South Dakota and Nevada.

If you cant find the anomolies sign up to Google earth community and search their forums.

Google Earth Craziness..

Try putting the following co-ordinates into Google Earth:

52°20'10.62" N 0°11'44.23" W

Not exactly Fortean, just strange, but Mother of Pearl, what are the chances of seeing *that* over your house?! :shock:

Human_84 said:
I found this by searching the area around my old home for no specific reason. Possibly a 747. Its in flight, note the double exposure. Very cool. Imagine how high-speed the camera must have been!!!!

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=44.611745,-86.007586&spn=0.001620,0.003380&t=k&hl=en

That will be where they overlay different image types, to form a composite. Or, all US planes now have a secret 'angel flight' following their every move - disguised as a commercial plane. The first ever image of a cloaking device in opperation! :idea:

How come all the interesting places I try to look at are low res? Rendlesham Forest. Point Pleasant. Loch Ness. Nazca. Roswell. The Big Brother House. Pah!

hey evilsprout :D I wondered the same thing!! thats where I went first! ( when they started this fang-dangled -thing)

evilsprout said:
How come all the interesting places I try to look at are low res? Rendlesham Forest. Point Pleasant. Loch Ness. Nazca. Roswell. The Big Brother House. Pah!

Yeah same with Glastonbury tor.

-

I'm just messing around. I went to C2C web site just a while ago to see what was on the program tonight and its Bill Hamilton he's going to talk about underground facilities (wooooo cool) anyway here's some pictures of one of them there underground facilities (This image shows the details of the underground silo used at the California Helendale facility. The Helendale RCS facility is owned and operated by Lockheed-Martin. ) here

neat right! ..well I had to see if I could find it on google map and I think this is da place. Notice the weird looking aircraft. Helendale, CA 92342 oh, crap!! the map I'm looking at did not come up here but if you type in
Helendale, California ...it will come up ..and its right at the top and in the middle...WAIT I GOT IT !!! http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q ... 065918&t=k
that's all folks !

Something just occurred to me. How come you can see cars and buses on the Google maps but as yet, unless I'm missing something. and small though they may be,

I can't see any people?

-

It will be very hard to see people because you can only see the top of their heads and their shoulders. If someone is lying down you will be more likely to see them. Look at the link below and you can see the specks of people all around when it is zoomed in completely.

giant frog google map

UsedtobChrisFord said:
It will be very hard to see people because you can only see the top of their heads and their shoulders. If someone is lying down you will be more likely to see them. Look at the link below and you can see the specks of people all around when it is zoomed in completely.

giant frog google map
Never mind the people, what is that green thing on the street corner, apparently spilling out over the road?

UsedtobChrisFord said:

giant frog google map

Nope still can't see anyone. Zooming in is too blurred but there are higher res pics for London and they look deserted apart from the traffic.
As I said I know they will be hard to see but were there not any large groups or crowds of people on Earth when the pictures were taken?

-

rynner said:
UsedtobChrisFord said:
Look at the link below and you can see the specks of people all around when it is zoomed in completely.

giant frog google map
Never mind the people, what is that green thing on the street corner, apparently spilling out over the road?
I think the clue is in the name of the link : "giant frog google map". Pretty much does what it says on the tin, I'd say. Clearly, it's a giant frog. Not a toad, mind. A frog.

As for people, there are plenty of specks on the pavement which couldn't really be much else. Bear in mind that we're only talking about a satellite "footprint" of about 1 square foot for a standing person, whereas a car would appear 70-80 times bigger.

What worries me more is that the buildings in central Chicago all seem to be leaning in different directions.

think the clue is in the name of the link : "giant frog google map". Pretty much does what it says on the tin, I'd say. Clearly, it's a giant frog. Not a toad, mind. A frog.

Well I must be going blind, because I honestly can't see anything that resembles a frog or even a toad?

-

Rrose, go to the top row of buildings and 5 in from the left. There's a tall white building on that block, an oblong red outline on the block next to it. On the bottom left corner of that block there is what appears to be a giant frog.
To see the detail, zoom in twice and scroll up three times, the frog will be about centre screen then.

filcee said:
Rrose, go to the top row of buildings and 5 in from the left. There's a tall white building on that block, an oblong red outline on the block next to it. On the bottom left corner of that block there is what appears to be a giant frog.
To see the detail, zoom in twice and scroll up three times, the frog will be about centre screen then.

Oh I see it now thanks - or a green roast chicken, see them iin the street all the time. what's weirder , as mentioned is the way the buildings lean in different directions.
-

-

ok, how about this. zoom in and look at the crowd at the gates. each dot is a person. this is why you can't notice them in a busy picture.

buckingham palace

or to give you a more size relationship model how about this

beached whale

Google Earth is very stressful for the eyes. I can surf text for a few hours without too much irritation, but looking for unmapped things on Earth is hard. I tried to find Mecca in Saudi Arabia, and it took about 1/2 an hour. My eyes were shot for hours afterwards. Tried finding Tenoctitlan for an hour without success. The hybrid map is great in the US and Europe, but has virtually nothing beyond the country's name anywhere else in the world. Google Earth is incredible, but these difficulties are sucktastic. *sighhhh* Such are the perils of the cyber-explorationist.

I also had low-rez trouble with Stonhenge. Found Salisbury and even Avebury, but alas, no stones.

skinny46 said:
...I also had low-rez trouble with Stonhenge. Found Salisbury and even Avebury, but alas, no stones.

Wow, I know the henge is smaller than expected when peeps see it for the first time, but it is just not there. You can see the car park, but no stones. Odd

skinny46 said:
Google Earth is very stressful for the eyes. I can surf text for a few hours without too much irritation, but looking for unmapped things on Earth is hard. I tried to find Mecca in Saudi Arabia, and it took about 1/2 an hour. My eyes were shot for hours afterwards. Tried finding Tenoctitlan for an hour without success. The hybrid map is great in the US and Europe, but has virtually nothing beyond the country's name anywhere else in the world. Google Earth is incredible, but these difficulties are sucktastic. *sighhhh* Such are the perils of the cyber-explorationist.

What is confusing is there are no real place names until you turn on Google Community - then then you also get meaningless rubbish that seems to have been put in by some Tom Dick or Harry- Isn't there a way to superimpose more appropriate information like a proper map without all the "community" crap??

-

Soong2 said:
skinny46 said:
...I also had low-rez trouble with Stonhenge. Found Salisbury and even Avebury, but alas, no stones.

Wow, I know the henge is smaller than expected when peeps see it for the first time, but it is just not there. You can see the car park, but no stones. Odd

This is all a bit wierd. I had just typed a post saying how easy to find and how clear the stones were when I looked at them months ago. Then I thought I would double check to make sure I remembered correctly and lo and behold, the stones aren't there.

Either the image has changed or I am sinking further into madness. Out of the two, I know which is more likely. :madeyes:

What is confusing is there are no real place names until you turn on Google Community - then then you also get meaningless rubbish that seems to have been put in by some Tom Dick or Harry- Isn't there a way to superimpose more appropriate information like a proper map without all the "community" crap??

Yes... in the bottom left of the screen you can check and uncheck boxes as you require. eg - roads, railways, etc. Choose ur map details.

Also if anyone hasnt discovered the 3d imaging yet - try it. It's awesome. (Control to the right of the zoom)

Ringo_ said:
This is all a bit wierd. I had just typed a post saying how easy to find and how clear the stones were when I looked at them months ago. Then I thought I would double check to make sure I remembered correctly and lo and behold, the stones aren't there.
It's not just you, Ringo! A few weeks ago, I found that my house was visible in much higher resolution than had previously been the case. I could even make out the point where our hedge changes from green to yellow. But now, our whole area is just a blur, with the road layout only just discernable if you squint. Any detail has just gone.

I can only assume that as google update their database, they occasionally overlay old, good images with newer, bad ones. No doubt in time, the whole of the UK will be covered in decent resolution pictures. I note with a tinge of jealousy that in certain parts of the USA, great swathes of land are mapped in detail (virtually every square inch of Indiana, for example).

Back