• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Earth Oddities Seen In Google Maps / Earth / Street View

TheMiddleman said:
What is confusing is there are no real place names until you turn on Google Community - then then you also get meaningless rubbish that seems to have been put in by some Tom Dick or Harry- Isn't there a way to superimpose more appropriate information like a proper map without all the "community" crap??

Yes... in the bottom left of the screen you can check and uncheck boxes as you require. eg - roads, railways, etc. Choose ur map details.

I do use that. but you often either get too much information or too little. Also often to find landmarks you have to turn on Community and you get all that crap.
-

Peripart said:
Ringo_ said:
This is all a bit wierd. I had just typed a post saying how easy to find and how clear the stones were when I looked at them months ago. Then I thought I would double check to make sure I remembered correctly and lo and behold, the stones aren't there.
It's not just you, Ringo! A few weeks ago, I found that my house was visible in much higher resolution than had previously been the case. I could even make out the point where our hedge changes from green to yellow. But now, our whole area is just a blur, with the road layout only just discernable if you squint. Any detail has just gone.

I can only assume that as google update their database, they occasionally overlay old, good images with newer, bad ones. No doubt in time, the whole of the UK will be covered in decent resolution pictures. I note with a tinge of jealousy that in certain parts of the USA, great swathes of land are mapped in detail (virtually every square inch of Indiana, for example).

Well, that's a relief. I was sure that I would be dribbling down my straightjacket in a few days. That might still happen but at least stonehenge won't be to blame. Now, where is stonehinge, though? ;)

Most of the images of Britain are a few years out of date at least. I've also noticed resolutions changing. I fist noticed it when my pin-markers were all out of skew.

I found next doors swimming pool.

and my car.

(so far has avoided the allure of this...I love maps too)

Before Christmas last year the Spanish oppostion leader Mariano Rajoy and the president of the community of Madrid, arch-bitch Esperanza Aguirre were almost killed as there helicopter crashed in a bullring in the western Madrid borough of Mostoles. By coincidence the images on Google earth captured the helicopter in the bullring just before the accident. The story is here (in Spanish I'm afraid, couldn't find it in English)
http://www.20minutos.es/noticia/112687/4/

The coordinates for the image in Google earth are 40º20'26.92 N, 3º51'58.36" W.

Well here's something fortean. Pic wouldn't load for me and the page won't close. Weird. :p

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but try typing the following co-ordinates into Google Earth:

42°29'08.21" N
76°45'15.22" E

What the bloomin' heck is that??! :shock:

I'm prepared to believe it's just a Google Earth glitch, but if it's not.. Well it's too big to be a sattelite, so - any suggestions??

Buggered if i know, it's odd though, some sort of double artefact with a long contrail type effect coming from it eastwards...

TonyLaMesmer said:
Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but try typing the following co-ordinates into Google Earth:

42°29'08.21" N
76°45'15.22" E

What the bloomin' heck is that??! :shock:

I'm prepared to believe it's just a Google Earth glitch, but if it's not.. Well it's too big to be a satellite, so - any suggestions??
BlackRiverFalls said:
Buggered if i know, it's odd though, some sort of double artefact with a long contrail type effect coming from it eastwards...
It's weird, all right, but it must be some sort of photographic glitch - the two waffle-like objects are like shadows of each other, and the "contrail" extends for a hundred miles or so in a perfect straight line. Of, course, we may have been invaded by giant potato-based snacks which came to Earth over Asia some time ago...

Curious now...

You can see the artefact on the normal Google Map too, though you can't zoom in as close... but that's probably just them both being sourced from the same data...

Mmmn, getting somewhere now. It occured to me that we're unlikely to be the only finders of this artifact, took a bit of googling but i found some threads discussing it, though more speculation than conclusion:

Google Earth Hacks Forum entry

What´s this? A satelite?

I think its a mirror picture of the keyhole sattelite

It´s too big for a mirror image on the lake, or?
Do you have a picture of the keyhole satelite?

Maybe some space-junk, passing rapidly under the keyhole-satellite? The long line indicates the speed, nothing on earth is so fast and ist not the shape of any airplane. Maybe its a lose solar-panel of some defunct satellite in low orbit.

Something similar in this thread:

Link: http://www.googleearthhacks.com/for...hread.php?t=471

It must be an image anomaly, 'cause the line to the east of it goes on for 120 km (75 miles), straight trough cities and so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf
Something similar in this thread:

Link: http://www.googleearthhacks.com/for...hread.php?t=471

Yes, it looks the same what we have above Baikal lake? It flights in the same direction and the small lines it contains are in the same direction to. The object was mowing very high so it was moving for the camera faster than any plain. We could see only surfaces which was reflecting sun light like mirrors. The repeating pattern of that mark and Baikal tape could be explain for example by rotating metal surfaces of few propellers placed in one line. With every turn all propellers gives one flash of light reflected from sun. Different satellites are making different photos. That satellite have longer time of irradiate of the film and its not prepared to made mowing object photos because they are to small in that resolution. But if we have object like flying wings which are mowing on such high level of the border of space it could be cathead by the satellite.

The single mark contains eight repeating flashes which I could assign to Pathfinder which has eight propellers. The Baikal tape contains a line of above 44 flashes and I don’t know such big flying wing. The bigger cousin of Pathfinder – Helios contains only 14 propellers.

There's a 2nd entry which comes up with a different theory:

It has to be an image error. In a web search engine use the "image-option" and search for STS045-96-000N. You'll find a picture taken by NASA in 1992. It's very small, but you can guess the same strange "tape".

The NASA picture he refers to is below, he's not explicit about what he's trying to say, but i think he's implying it's some sort of artifact arising at the boundry lines of several image scans:

10064753.jpg

[/quote]

Another small Lake Baikal image with a different anomoly, looks more like the traditional 'scotch tape' composite thing than the contrail in the current images...

I think i'm googled out on this now, and tbh, aren't totally convinced by any of the above explanations... my friend thinks it might be part of the satellite mapping grid that's somehow got left in the image, but who knows, it's as good a theory as any...

According to the local rag, Crewe in Cheshire, UK is the centre of the world, on Google maps anyway.

Apparently if you log onto www.google.co.uk and click the 'more' link, go to the Maps page and zoom in to the maximum you find Charles Street, Crewe. :lol:

Let me be among the first to pledge my loyalty to our new insect overlords.

Two legs good - six legs better!

Eh? So does that mean there is a squashed insect in a satelite up there?

Either that or those fifties B movies were right.

I seem to remember some conspiracy theory that Saddam was creating giant man-eating scorpions to defend his desert palaces. Perhaps this could be related. ;)

It would be interesting if anyone who had studied entomology could identify the little beastie.

It looks like the images of thrips given in the link. Other than that it reminds me of those insects that are supposed to crawl into your ear.

Xanatico said:
I seem to remember some conspiracy theory that Saddam was creating giant man-eating scorpions to defend his desert palaces. Perhaps this could be related.
It could be one of his Weevils of Mass Destruction.

Back