• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Breaking news:

Japan to scrap stricken nuclear reactors

Japan is to decommission four stricken reactors at the quake-hit Fukushima nuclear plant, the operator says.
Tokyo Electric Power (Tepco) made the announcement three weeks after failing to bring reactors 1 - 4 under control. Locals would be consulted on reactors 5 and 6 which were shut down safely.
Harmful levels of radioactivity have been detected in the area.

More than 11,000 people are known to have been killed by the devastating 11 March earthquake and tsunami.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12903725

But how do you decommission out-of-control reactors?

Presumably it takes more paperwork than simply letting them loose?

Pietro_Mercurios said:
Could always rename them.

Yeah, that worked for Windscale. Adding a visitors' centre would also help to remove the radioactivity... ;)

Do they still have such things? I was told most had shut down due to security risks

A sure way to educate the public, methinks

From the horrors of Japan to the slightly bothersome in England:

Small earthquake hits Blackpool

There has been a small earthquake on the Lancashire coast, the British Geological Survey (BGS) has confirmed.
A small earth tremor was felt in the Blackpool area at about 0330 BST, they said.
Lancashire Police said calls had been received from several people saying their property was shaking.

A BGS spokesman said that the 2.2 magnitude tremor was thought to have centred on Poulton-le-Fylde.

No damage or injuries have been reported.
A police spokesman said that they confirmed the reports when the force's control room on Bonny Street, Blackpool, began to shake.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-12930915

Slightly more bothersome than the beeb thought:

Earthquake shakes Blackpool
Tremor of 2.2 magnitude topples traffic lights, cracks railway bridge and prompts fears of burglary
Helen Carter guardian.co.uk, Friday 1 April 2011 10.03 BST

A small earthquake has shaken Blackpool and the Fylde coast – toppling traffic lights, cracking a railway bridge and making some residents think they were being burgled as they woke in the early hours to loud noises.

Several householders called police at around 3.30am to report they had felt the ground shaking. Some thought it was an April Fools' Day prank.

The British Geological Survey recorded a tremor with a magnitude of 2.2 – rated as a minor earthquake. The epicentre was located between Carelton and Poulton industrial estate.

Residents reported wardrobe doors being flung open while staff at Blackpool's Bonny Street police station felt the building shake.

Officers were sent to Lytham Road in South Shore after reports that cracks had started to appear in the railway bridge.
A spokesman for Blackpool police said: "We started to get calls at around 3.35am. Some may have thought it was an April fool prank, but staff here felt the building move.

"We had a number of calls from residents. A woman in Grange Park rang up as she had been woken and thought her house was being broken into. Temporary traffic lights in Thornton Gate fell over while a man reported his motorbike had been knocked down.

"CCTV cameras on Lytham Road picked up superficial cracks on the road surface of the railway bridge near to the zebra crossing.
"We sent out officers to check it out. It's known as a weak bridge anyway. It was deemed to be safe. A surveyor will be looking at it today."
The bridge was closed to buses in February because its condition had begun to deteriorate.

In 2008 Blackpool was one of several centres to feel the strongest tremors in the UK in 25 years.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/ap ... -blackpool

I believe Nessie was shaken, but hasn't stirred.

Small earthquake hits the Highlands

A 2.4-magnitude earthquake has been felt in the Highlands, the British Geological Survey has confirmed.

It happened at about midday and was felt in Abriachan, near the northern end of Loch Ness.

The last earthquake in the area was in January, when a 3.5-magnitude quake shook Glen Uig in Moidart.

Suzanne Sergeant from the BGS said the latest tremor was very minor and she did not expect it to have caused any damage.

"We've received one report from Abriachan, which is approximately 3km south-west of the epicentre," she said.

"Here they felt the tremor and heard a rumble. It would've been very slight in terms of the intensity of the shaking that they experienced.

"We wouldn't expect an earthquake of this size to cause damage.

"If we put it in perspective, this earthquake today released about six billion times less energy than the Japan earthquake."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-12894684

Hooray! A great sea dog!

And amid the litany of depressing tales from the disaster zone, there was at least some cheer from the remarkable tale of a dog that survived after floating on a house for three weeks. A coastguard rescue team spotted the resilient canine trotting on the roof and lowered one of the team from a helicopter to transport the animal to safety by boat.
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/bre ... king6.html

Images at:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/bre ... 1301676478

http://www.irishtimes.com/homepage/imag ... 1301676126

Three weeks at sea is a long time for a dog with no fresh water. Sea water is no good for the innards of land mammals - I hope the little fellah is OK.

Kondoru said:
Do they still have such things? I was told most had shut down due to security risks

A sure way to educate the public, methinks

I went to the Sellafield Visitors' Centre in 1993. It is some distance away from any reactors, so no real danger there.
You're right though - because of falling numbers of visitors, they have turned it into a kind of business and conference centre. Shame, really.

Didn't Ready Brek stop doing the adverts where the kids glowed after someone did a skit on it for Windscale Flakes, or soething like that.

Might have been Not The Nine O'clock News.

BlackRiverFalls said:
Didn't Ready Brek stop doing the adverts where the kids glowed after someone did a skit on it for Windscale Flakes, or soething like that.

Don't think so, they were running newer and improved versions of the ad up until the 1990s, well after NTNON ended. One I do remember from one of the Spitting Image books was a spoof ad for the Sellafield Visitor Centre where the cartoon of the welcoming guide had two heads.

The name Windscale does of course live on in the minds of anyone who has seen the final minutes of The Medusa Touch with Richard Burton.

And the first few minutes are eerily prescient of 9:11.

200px-Medusatouchcover.jpg

BlackRiverFalls said:

I think you're right. Although my favourite take on the Ready Brek adverts was from Viz, who adapted the 'central heating for kids' line for Carlsberg Special Brew: Central heating for tramps.

(I never much liked Viz, but some of the spoof Ads were inspired.)

Edit: Yes, it was Not The Nine O'clock News. See here.

Timble2 said:

Is that the movie that ends with someone writing "Windscale" on a piece of paper while in hospital bed or something?

Seeing that scene is one of my earliest memories, I'm sure I didn't know what any of it meant but I remember being absolutely terrified, in fact I've got a shiver down my spine right now.....

Japan tsunami dog reunited with owner
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12957838

Click to play

Coast guards rescued the dog from a house washed out to sea by the tsunami

Japan quake

Viewpoint: Who is in charge?
Reactor leaks: Aerial view
Aid worker's diary
Inside the evacuation zone
A dog rescued from a roof drifting off Japan's north-east coast more than three weeks after a quake and tsunami has been reunited with her owner.

The owner recognised the dog from a TV news report on the rescue on Friday.

The female owner and the two-year-old dog called Ban had an emotional reunion at an animal care centre where she was being looked after.

"We'll never let go of her," the owner, who wished to remain anonymous, was quoted as saying by a centre official.

The dog was found by a Japan Coast Guard crew on a drifting roof some 1.8km (1.1 miles) off Kesennuma, Miyagi prefecture, one of the worst-hit areas along Japan's north-east coast.

The roof is believed to have been detached and washed out to see by the retreating waters of the devastating tsunami, which hit the country on 11 March.

Ban immediately jumped up and wagged her tail when her owner appeared, local media reported.

"I'm happy for the reunion, after they were separated by the disaster," Toshiro Suzuki, head of the animal shelter was quoted as saying by Kyodo news agency.

He said the shelter is caring for 19 dogs and several cats separated from their owners after the tsunami.

CarlosTheDJ said:
Is that the movie that ends with someone writing "Windscale" on a piece of paper while in hospital bed or something?

Seeing that scene is one of my earliest memories, I'm sure I didn't know what any of it meant but I remember being absolutely terrified, in fact I've got a shiver down my spine right now.....

That's the one, Burton's character is a powerful psychic who uses his talents to demolish things and Windscale is his final target (or so it's implied - we never see it go up).

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/04/07/japan.quake/?hpt=T1

Fresh quake triggers tsunami warning in Japan

Tokyo (CNN) -- A powerful earthquake struck Japan on Thursday, triggering a tsunami warning for one prefecture and advisories in other prefectures.

The Japan Meteorological Agency said the quake was a magnitude of 7.4. The U.S. Geological Survey said it was 7.1.

There were no reports of casualties from anywhere in the earthquake zone, the National Police Agency said.

Workers evacuated the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant following the quake, the Tokyo Electric Power Company said. Tokyo Electric said it has communication with the plant and the power is still on there. There were no immediate reports of damage, it said.

The quake's epicenter was off the coast of Miyagi in northeastern Japan, the Japan Meteorological Agency said.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the quake was centered 41 miles (66 kilometers) from Sendai -- one of the areas worst hit by last month's 9.0-magnitude quake -- and 73 miles (118 kilometers) from Fukushima, where a crisis has been under way at the nuclear plant since last month's tsunami.

continues...

CarlosTheDJ said:
Timble2 said:

Indeed it is Richard Burton himself, his Almost brain dead body still ticking away to fulfil his last threat, after someones last ditch effort to but a stop to his destructive mind. Fantastic stuff, one of the few horror disaster movies I was allowed to watch as a kid. Damn I am gonna have to see if I can find a copy somewhere. Wonder was it remastered to DVD.

Lovefilm have it on their site, but seems to be streaming only, no DVD available to rent.

I can stream it through my PS3 though and watch it big screen!

Meanwhile, the earthquake storm continues:

Japan: Powerful earthquake hits north-east

A powerful earthquake has hit north-east Japan, exactly one month after the devastating earthquake and tsunami.
The 7.1-magnitude tremor triggered a brief tsunami warning, and forced workers to evacuate the crippled Fukushima nuclear plant.
The epicentre of the quake was in Fukushima prefecture, and struck at a depth of just 10km (six miles).

It came as Japan said it was extending the evacuation zone around the nuclear plant because of radiation concerns.
The cooling systems at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant were damaged in last month's disaster. Workers have been struggling to prevent several reactors from overheating, and avert a large-scale release of radiation.

The plant's operator, Tepco, said power used to pump water to cool three damaged reactors had been cut briefly but early indications suggested the plant had not sustained any further damage.
The zone around it will be widened to encompass five communities beyond the existing 20-km (12-mile) radius, following new data about accumulated radiation levels, officials said.

Top government spokesman Yukio Edano said the new evacuations would take place over the coming month, from areas including Iitate village, which lies 40km from the power station, and part of the city of Kawamata.
"There is no need to evacuate immediately," he told a news conference, but added that there were concerns about long-term health risks.

The latest tremor struck shortly after the country stopped to observe a minute's silence to remember the nearly 28,000 dead or missing in the 11 March disaster.
Survivors in shelters marked the moment the quake and tsunami hit at 1446 (0546 GMT) with bowed heads.

Prime Minister Naoto Kan thanked people around the world for their support.
In an open letter carried in seven newspapers around the world, he said that the support had brought hope and inspired courage at a desperate time.
"Through our own efforts and with the help of the global community, Japan will recover and come back even stronger. We will then repay you for your generous aid," he wrote.
"With this in our hearts, we now stand together dedicated to rebuilding the nation."

The official death toll from the disaster is 13,127, while 14,348 remain unaccounted for. More than 150,000 people have been made homeless.

The prime minister has also tried to reassure survivors that the fishing industry - which many in the area rely on for their livelihoods - would resume as soon as possible.
The tsunami wrecked boats and piers, closing down large-scale fishing operations.
But the damage to the nuclear plant has also hit the fishing industry, as public and international buyers ditch Japanese food products over fears of contamination.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13032122

Hospital ransacked in riots over planned Indian nuclear plant
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/wor ... 66406.html
RAHUL BEDI in New Delhi

Wed, Apr 20, 2011

RIOTING CONTINUED yesterday at a small town in western India as protesters opposing government plans to build a nuclear complex ransacked a hospital and burnt buses.

Police had shot dead one protester on Monday at Jaitapur, 420km south of India’s financial capital, Mumbai. Locals and anti-nuclear activists have been protesting at Jaitapur against construction of a proposed 9,900 megawatt six-reactor facility by French energy giant Areva.

Locals shouted slogans as the protest gained momentum against what is billed as the world’s largest nuclear power complex, costing an estimated $10 billion (€6.97 billion).

Vociferous opposition to the complex has grown in the wake of the ongoing crisis at Japan’s Fukushima nuclear plant, with activists and experts claiming Jaitapur is located in a seismic zone.

Posters at Jaitapur yesterday portrayed horrifying scenes from Fukushima, and anti-nuclear activists warned of what could be in store for the region if the plant were to be built and a Japanese-type disaster were to occur.

Environmentalists maintain the Konkan belt, in which Jaitapur lies, is one of the world’s most bio-diverse regions and would be destroyed by a nuclear complex.

In response to the growing opposition, India’s environment minister Jairam Ramesh last week reiterated his government’s intention to proceed with the plant’s construction but maintained that extra safeguards would be undertaken in view of the Fukushima disaster.

The minister termed Fukushima a “wake-up call”, adding that India could not abandon its quest for “clean” nuclear energy to fuel its high economic growth rate.

Construction of the Jaitapur complex is slated to begin later this year and the first unit is expected to start generating power by 2018. Officials claim the Jaitapur nuclear plant, one of around 30 planned across the country over 10 to 15 years, would augment nuclear power generation to about 13 per cent of the total, from the current 3 per cent.

India currently runs 20 small nuclear reactors with a capacity of 4,780 megawatts (MW), and through the new plants hopes to boost nuclear power generation to 7,280 MW by 2012 and to 63,000 MW two decades later, but at tremendous cost.

Critics claim the Jaitapur reactors, based on European pressurised reactor technology, had not yet been commissioned anywhere in the world. India’s powerful Marxists also raised “questions about the reliability and safety of these reactors”, and said their construction had run into difficulties in France and Finland. They were also “much more expensive” than other reactors on offer, the Marxists said.

India was permitted to trade in civil nuclear fuel and equipment after the 2008 nuclear energy pact with the US – without it having to adhere to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty or forgo its nuclear weapons programme.

In return for international inspection of 14 of its reactors and related facilities, India was granted global access to foreign civil nuclear technology, which was endorsed by the 45-member Nuclear Suppliers’ Group.

Christchurch earthquake: Diary from
By Pam Vickers, Sumner, Christchurch, New Zealand

Surfers, weekend trippers, the elderly and young children - many have left Christchurch in the two months since the quake, leaving it feeling a little too quiet and empty.
And the aftershocks are continuing.

The latest tremor plonked me from my swivel chair on to the coffee table, threw my casserole dish and plates across the kitchen and splayed CDs from their rack as if they were clay pigeons.
This was last Saturday.

Then we discovered the pipes on the hot water cylinder had broken again and water cascaded from upstairs through the wardrobe below and across the bedroom.
Anyone like to buy a house with an indoor water feature?
[Oddly enough, I dreamed last night of an indoor flood - but I think that stemmed from recent problems with my hot water tank.]

Water and sewage pipes fracture on a regular basis and the 5.3-magnitude quake on Saturday caused the water main in our next-door suburb, Redcliffs, to fracture and send a column of water streaking 30m (98ft) into the air.
It reminded me of the fountains of Dubai. However, there was nothing Arabian about the biting cold rain, or the road as it began to resemble a lake, with the orange road cones floating off.

But even that was not too bad. The people of Brighton suffered more liquefaction (a phenomenon that afflicts loose sediments in a quake and is akin to a lateral landslide).
The heavy rain gave the area the appearance of a wet cement lake. The stress of cleaning it all up again is becoming very wearing.
I heard that a couple of dozen water mains burst across the city of Christchurch.

We must all be grateful for water, however. We got our water restored just before April Fool's day but are told to use it sparingly as the system is still very fragile.

The real problem is the sewage which is discharged into the Heathcote river estuary near us and into the sea. The treatment plant is only just coping and in danger of turning anaerobic and creating an almighty stink.

Sumner has always been a weekend destination being a beautiful seaside bay with its village ambience, sandy beaches and a plethora of cafes.
Every morning I go out on to my balcony and look down on the beach hoping to see surfers. They always used to be there, but not any more. Many have gone away and those who haven't know the sea is polluted with sewage. I miss them.

So I take the dog for a walk on the esplanade. I meet just one person and one dog. Most of the others have gone or don't walk their dogs any more. I miss them too.
The medical centre is still open but a little quiet; older people have been moved out of town and young families have decided to go. Numbers at school are well down and the children miss their friends.

People have mostly moved to other parts of New Zealand. Wanaka, Timaru and Ashburton are popular. Some have gone to the North Island as well, if that is where they have family.

We miss the weekend trippers who brought colour and money to our little community.
Now they come with binoculars and cameras and stand and stare with disbelief, uttering "Oh my goodness".
They have seen it on TV but now they are seeing for real the houses perched over the edge of the cliffs that have broken away, the gigantic boulders that have landed on and near houses.
They usually come to enjoy the rhythm of the sea, now they feel seasick just travelling along our broken, bumpy roads.

After two months most of us have come to terms with our lives and know repair and renewal is a long haul.
But we live in an area of very capable and very community-minded people, who have done great work already and have the spirit and tenacity to take on the challenges of the future. It is going to be very interesting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13141491

Back