• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Earth's Moon & Earthquakes: A Causal Connection?

jimv1 said:
..I've been going on about this thing about major earthquakes happening around 6 days after a full moon...
And now you're switching to a New Moon:
7th April - Japan hit by a 7.1m - 4 days after the New Moon of the 3rd.
Would you care to restate your theory clearly, saying when you expect earthquakes and why?

In NZ at the mo. Shockingly bad quake, the worst I've ever felt on Monday, granted I was not far from the epicenter. Terrifying really, it was like being on a boat at sea. Old house though with solid old Rimu bones - thank god.

Do more natural disasters happen on mondays than the rest of the week?

There looks to be a lot of damage in the south island.
Hope they are able to repair the damage but my daughter and I might delay booking to go there for our next holiday awhile now.

There looks to be a lot of damage in the south island.
Hope they are able to repair the damage but my daughter and I might delay booking to go there for our next holiday awhile now.

don't. It's fine, you don't get that many big quakes, unlikely you'd even feel one if you are holidaying.

Monday (Moonday) was the day of the Super Moon, and although 'experts' claim the moon does not affect earthquakes, I'm not convinced...

Monday (Moonday) was the day of the Super Moon, and although 'experts' claim the moon does not affect earthquakes, I'm not convinced...

Yes. I believe we discussed this on the earthquakes thread. Statistically, earthquakes happen all the time but not at great magnitudes. I'm not entirely convinced they don't contribute either.

Yes. I believe we discussed this on the earthquakes thread. Statistically, earthquakes happen all the time but not at great magnitudes. I'm not entirely convinced they don't contribute either.
It must be easy enough to plot earthquake frequency against the moon's orbit/distance from earth surely?

The weight of water in a tidal bulge does press down on the seabed - possibly this can trigger a fault-line into seismic activity...

It's a wonder as the quake was about 14 hours before the king tide. Don't quote me. Peeps have gone back to work in Wellington and yet buildings that have been given "ok to work in status" are now being listed as condemned. Its a mess. Very scary for those working in Wellington.

They should have just closed down Welly CBD for a week. It's going to be an eye opener for Japan and San Fran as even quake-proof tall buildings are simply not quake-proof.

Steve McQueen was right in the Towering Inferno...

The weight of water in a tidal bulge does press down on the seabed - possibly this can trigger a fault-line into seismic activity...

Also the quakes/after shocks have been all over the place. Geonet is a good place to keep an eye on things. At the mo I'm drinking beer in the garden and it's lovely and warm. We are all expecting another biggy though.

It's a wonder as the quake was about 14 hours before the king tide.
That means the quake was about 2 hours before the previous high tide - which would have been almost as big as the 'King' tide! :twisted:

Tidal stresses and strains don't just switch on and off - they rise and fall gradually, in a sinusoidal cycle. (And further modified over a lunar month by the Neap/Spring cycle.)

... According to the data, you'd have to get very bloody local to discount that the majority of the 16 biggest earthquakes occured within a week of a new and full moon.

And don't forget we are talking geological scale here so this is pretty much instant coffee. ...

This new study - spanning 4 centuries' worth of data on earthquakes of magnitude 8 or higher, disputes any correlation between large earthquakes and particular moon phases ...

Are Earthquakes More Likely During Full Moons? That’s a Myth, Study Finds

On Dec. 26, 2004, a magnitude 9.1 earthquake ruptured the ocean floor off the west coast of Sumatra. The resulting tsunami killed nearly 230,000 people in 14 countries, making it one of the deadliest natural disasters in history. And it occurred during a full moon.

The Sumatra earthquake isn’t the only large earthquake to have occurred beneath the moon’s bright glare. Both the earthquake that devastated Chile in 2010 and the Great Alaskan Earthquake in 1964 also happened on a conspicuous lunar date — making it tempting to argue that more large earthquakes occur during the full moon.

But a new study published in Seismological Research Letters finds that the connection is nothing but folklore.

To analyze the supposed link, Susan Hough, a seismologist at the United States Geological Survey, scrutinized 204 earthquakes of magnitude 8 or greater over the past four centuries. She then matched those earthquakes to the lunar calendar and found that no more occurred during a full or new moon than on any other day of the lunar cycle.

“The lore that the big earthquakes happen during the full moon — there’s no support for that in the catalog,” Dr. Hough said. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/18/science/earthquakes-moon-cycles.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

Massive Earthquakes to hit this week!

Self-styled Dutch earthquake predictor Frank Hoogerbeets issued the warning in video uploaded to his YouTube channel and website Ditrianum.

He warned that around next week's Supermoon event, from January 30 to February 2, there will be planetary “amplifications” which he described as critical.

He said: “From January 30 to February 2 will be more critical with the possibility of a seven pointer because of an amplification here on the 30th.

“Also on the 31st with the full Moon there is also lunar eclipse and also called Blue Moon, because it is the second full Moon of the month.

“But a Blue Moon or a lunar eclipse or a full Moon does not necessarily cause a seismic increase, it requires obvious amplifications like we see here to cause a seismic increase on our planet and this is a significant amplification and as you can read on the website a high six to seven magnitude earthquake may occur between the 30th and February 2.”

His system has been ridiculed by mainstream scientists, but he continues to gain followers on his YouTube channel and website.

He told Express.co.uk: "Full Moons and thus Supermoons can greatly affect seismic activity.

"In fact, some of the largest quakes occurred around the Full Moon, like the magnitude 9.3 on December 26, 2004 and the magnitude 9.2 on March 28, 1964 in Alaska.

"But it also greatly depends on the planetary positions that coincide with the Full Moon.”

He claims to have previously predicted a string of major earthquakes across the globe, but is ridiculed by mainstream scientists who say the position of the planets has no impact on seismic activity.

But, Mr Hoogerbeets has made several predictions with distinctly mixed results.

There have been significant quakes after some of his warnings, but he is no longer specific about where they will strike or the exact day.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/weir...permoon-Blood-Moon-mystic-magnitude-7-Tuesday

There was a scare running around on social media a couple of days ago about a massive earthquake predicted by a "UN expert" to hit Guatemala today, I forgot to post here about it. INSIVUMEH, the Guatemalan volcanology institute, rubbished it as fake, which should have been obvious to, well, everyone really. I'll see if I can dig up a screenshot (although it will be in Spanish).

Back