• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
A friend of mine swears by the Ramones “I wanna be sedated” as an ear worm antidote. It works for me insofar as I lose the original ear worm, but then get stuck with
Twenty-twenty-twenty-four hours to go
I wanna be sedated
Nothing to do, nowhere to go home
I wanna be sedated

Could be worse?
I catch myself humming to "I don't wanna be buried in a pet sematary..." and then it gets stuck for a few hours.

I saw Floella Benjamin on TV this morning. I spent the rest of the day humming the tune to Play School.

Today I've been stuck with There Are Hundreds of Sparrows, the old Sunday school/school assembly song which I have not thought about in decades. Can't explain it.

Not stuck in my head but I just spontaneously started singing Stars from Les Miserables. I have no idea why other than the songs of Les Mis aren’t often to far from my mind :chuckle:

A friend of mine swears by the Ramones “I wanna be sedated” as an ear worm antidote. It works for me insofar as I lose the original ear worm, but then get stuck with
I wanna be sedated
I wanna be sedated

Could be worse?
Not an earworm for me, but definitely a Mondegreen:
"I wanna piece o' bacon."

I'm more of a broadsword and the beast woman....

The song Jack in the Green is one I get asked about in reference to the gree man thing.

As far as memes go - I had one on Pavanne for ages. But it's got no words... so the freight is contained in the music?

Has anyone got a Guide To Memes for Idiots reference?

Kath
I've got Cheerio in my head now

The absolute BEST antidote to stuck tune syndrome for me is....

the 'gee up, horsie' song from Play School.

'Gee up horsie, don't you stop,
Just let your feet go clippety clop,
Your tail go swish and the wheels go round -
Giddy-up, we're homeward bound!'

It's such a very plain little song, more like a chant than a song and something about the rhythm just seems to knock anything else out of my head. It makes you look like a complete idiot to be going round singing it, mind.

If this didn't induce stuck tune syndrome I don't know what would ... Disney World visitors on the "It's a Small World" ride had to endure more than an hour of being stranded in place while animatronic children sang the theme song over and over and over ...
Riders stranded on Disney’s ‘It’s a Small World’ for over an hour

Walt Disney World was a little less magical for guests on the park’s “It’s a Small World” ride last weekend.

People took to social media to talk about being stuck for over an hour on the popular and longtime Magic Kingdom attraction.

A video posted on TikTok by user @hazeysmom22 showed what appeared to be one of the boats sinking at the Florida theme park, captioning with, “This boat said it was not a small world.”

The TikToker called the experience “torture.”

The song “It’s a Small World (After All),” written by the Sherman brothers, was released in 1963, and the ride has been a part of the park since it opened in 1971.

The boat ride travels around a facsimile of the world while animatronic children sing the titular song on a loop.

Commenters on the TikTok post expressed their disdain for the ride, with one asking if “they at least turned the song off.” ...

“They didn’t realize for like 45 mins, everyone was on a boat so we sat there for about an hour stuck with the song on repeat!! TORTURE lol,” the original poster responded.

“So the song will forever be stuck in your head now?? I rode it for 2 minutes and it took two weeks to get it out of my brain,” another person commented. ...
FULL STORY: https://nypost.com/2022/08/03/riders-stuck-on-disneys-its-a-small-world-for-over-an-hour/

Bloody - 'The Long and Winding Road bah bah bah that takes me, to your..............'

What's the tune they play on Bogyman during the breaks?

This is from

222 QI Answers to Your Quite Ingenious Questions: More of Your Questions Answered by the QI Elves​

‘Why do songs get stuck in my head?

These are commonly called 'earworms. In a recent study. Journey's 'Don't Stop Believin", Lady Gaga's Bad Romance and, appropriately, Kylie Minogue's 'I Just Can't Get You Out of My Head' were noted as some of the tunes most likely to get stuck on repeat.

A 2011 survey carried out in Finland found that earworms affect around 90% of people at least once a week, so it's actually more unusual if you don't get the occasional song stuck in your head. It happens more often with songs that are upbeat and have more predictable elements. And songs are more likely to stay with you if you're feeling stressed. The idea is that if your brain already has a lot to process, it might grab hold of a repetitive idea - or tune - and stick with it.
Studies have suggested a few ways of dealing with earworms: chewing gum or trying to solve anagrams can help, as they give your brain another repetitive thing to think about. Or you could try a palate cleanser song: Happy Birthday, 'God Save the Queen' and Karma Chameleon' have been found to be particularly effective at wiping stuck songs from your mind.’

I wanna be sedated
I wanna be sedated

Could be worse?
Yep. Definite earworm for me. Though I don't mind it. I have worse ones.

Hands up,
Baby hands up,
Gimme your heart,
Gimme gimme your heart

Yep a really bad and stupid song.

Btw I try to avoid this thread:doh:

It's funny how electronic beeps can do that. If we leave our fridge door open, it gives out a two-note ping which sounds exactly like the start of one of the themes from Jackson's LOTR.
We have a brand spanking new fancy-pants washer/dryer which plays a chirpy tone when we switch it on. Sounds like the guitar intro for Guns'n'Roses' Sweet Child of Mine.

Guess I'm stuck with that as an earworm if I want clean pants! :chuckle:

We have a blackbird that imitates our phone GRrrrrr going to strangle the little
feathered bugger if it doesn't find a new tune.
:omr:
When Trimphones were all the go a bird in my area used to imitate one. As the ex and I weren't on the phone back then it wasn't a distraction for us. We'd say 'There goes the Telephone Bird!' and laugh. :)

When Trimphones were all the go a bird in my area used to imitate one. As the ex and I weren't on the phone back then it wasn't a distraction for us. We'd say 'There goes the Telephone Bird!' and laugh. :)
I could do a passable imitation of a Trimphone when I was a kid.
Confused the heck out of a few people.

I have always loved music and sing along merrily when I have music on (much to the annoyance of the missus). However, I often wake up and find myself singing an obscure song I haven't heard or thought about in years. I only have the radio tuned to Radio 4 and only play music via my Ipod. I often wonder if we can pick up radio broadcasts and I am unconsciously tuning in to some obscure radio station!

I have always loved music and sing along merrily when I have music on (much to the annoyance of the missus). However, I often wake up and find myself singing an obscure song I haven't heard or thought about in years. I only have the radio tuned to Radio 4 and only play music via my Ipod. I often wonder if we can pick up radio broadcasts and I am unconsciously tuning in to some obscure radio station!
Picking up radio broadcasts via tooth fillings was a thing years ago. It featured in the FT magazine some years ago and the entertainer Lucille Ball spoke on TV about hearing spy broadcasts through her teeth!

So, have you seen a dentist lately? :thought:

I've had a weekend with several earworms at once. Everything I try to replace Cootes Boyes and Simpson's record with gets stuck in turn. Right now it's Squeeze's Black Coffee in Bed, simply because I'm drinking black coffee, I'm not even in bed FFS. I think it must be a tension thing.
Who the chuffing heck were Cootes Boyes and Simpson?

Back