• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
LOL, heffalump sounds like something out of a Winnie the pooh book. But I suspect the little mammoth would still mash a toe if he stepped on it.

No mammoth at the 1951 Explorers Club dinner

Founded in 1904 by a group of explorers, naturalists and journalists including Adolphus Greely and Frank Chapman, The Explorers Club held annual black tie banquets in New York where members supped on exotic foods while speakers regaled them with tales of that year’s adventures. The 47th Explorers Club Annual Dinner (ECAD) held on January 13th, 1951, at the Hotel Roosevelt was a particularly epic event which featured a buffet of woolly mammoth, thawed from the Alaskan permafrost and served to the exploring elite alongside bison steaks, cheese straws and ice cream cake roll Buche Roosevelt.

Here’s how one attendee, Herbert B. Nichols, described the evening’s fare in an article for the January 17th, 1951, issue of the Christian Science Monitor:....

http://www.thehistoryblog.com/archives/40595

The Mammoth has been found to be genetically closest to the Asian Elephant. So I guess if you want to know what a Mammoth tasted like you need a slab of fresh Asian elephant. But before you sink your ivories into that juicy slab of elephant you might want to know a few facts our forefathers never gave any thought to. (1) Elephants are becoming an endangered species (2) Elephants are now known to be sentient (Being aware of self like humans) Like dogs, certain parrots, chimpanzees, apes , and probably others. Kinda makes you feel like a murderer or cannibal. Just mentioning these facts to louse up your appetite. I was really surprised at the canine finding even though I always felt my dogs were more human than some people I know.

Doesn't lose mine up. I'll eat any non endangered wild game. Please bring on the grouse, rabbit, venison, moose meat, etc.

Was it John Wayne who said ,"There's always room for venison, right next to the mashed potatos and beans", or words to the effect.

Some Japanese scientists made quite an ado about cloning a Mammoth from a rater well frozen Mammoth. Has anyone gotten wind of any further developments?

Makes no difference how rare an animal is there is always some selfish moron more than happy to hunt it down and kill it. Any cloned Mammoth would have to be guarded like Obama in order to survive. To me it is a crime to hunt any animal that is endangered or on the brink of extinction.

Makes no difference how rare an animal is there is always some selfish moron more than happy to hunt it down and kill it. Any cloned Mammoth would have to be guarded like Obama in order to survive. To me it is a crime to hunt any animal that is endangered or on the brink of extinction.

Yup, a mammoth will have tusks, which makes it very appealing to those unscrupulous ivory poachers. It would be ironic if they made it extinct twice.

It's unlikely that ivory poachers caused the Mammoth's first extinction. I realize Mammoth carving has been aroud a long time, but such poachers would have lots of product laying around. If humans had anything to do with te extinction of the Mammoth it was simply overhunted for the meat.

I didn't mean the poachers made it extinct twice, I meant it would be ironic if the mammoth was made extinct again.

Ironic and tragic. BTW did you know the Russians have established a huge preserve in Siberia that is ideally suited to the Mammoth, if and when, science does resurrect a mammoth?

At the moment, the only ivory that can be legally obtained is mammoth tusk ivory.
That might have to change if they bring them back.
I suspect, however, that resurrecting them won't happen.

Unfortunately, You are probably right. However, we can always hope; can we not? I Also I would like to see the Tasmanian wolf (tiger) brought back. Humans were absolutely at fault on its demise. I guess there are a few in Tasmania who think possibly the "wolf" may still exist in the remote wild areas of the country. I really hope they are right.

This isn't about eating Mammoths ... I come across fossils occasionally on the Cromer beach line (a lump of petrified wood a couple of days ago :)) .. this area is famous for having a stash of Mammoths in the cliffs and the Eastern Daily Press is reporting that people are getting annoyed with amateurs digging into the cliffs to try and find them ..

http://www.edp24.co.uk/features/mam..._hacking_into_cliffs_at_west_runton_1_4527068

This isn't about eating Mammoths ... I come across fossils occasionally on the Cromer beach line (a lump of petrified wood a couple of days ago :)) .. this area is famous for having a stash of Mammoths in the cliffs and the Eastern Daily Press is reporting that people are getting annoyed with amateurs digging into the cliffs to try and find them ..

http://www.edp24.co.uk/features/mam..._hacking_into_cliffs_at_west_runton_1_4527068

We visited Lulworth (Jurassic coast) last year. Saw a dad demonstrating to a young kid how to find fossils. Sadly, his method involved slamming large chunks of rock against each other, sending loads of potentially eye-injuring shards of chalk flying everywhere. Daft bugger.

Daft bugger.

Agreed strongly Tribble, I don't smash rocks together and only ever pick up stuff I find ... I've been politely told off for only doing that by a few friends because apparently taking stones off of a beach is illegal .. one said it was bad luck and also that it contributed to erosion (until I walked back to his house with him and asked him why in that case was his front garden covered in beach stones and shells ... he found them more in land he said). The sea has mountains of stones to spit onto the beach every day so I'm not convinced that even if everyone did what I do (and hardly anyone else does), I or we would even make a dent on the environmental threat being imagined .. the fence in our back yard has loads of weird stones displayed on it, either by shape, simulacra, odd colours, fossils etc ... the thing that I desperately want to do is hand over the rusted iron parts of The SS Fernebo that exploded in 1917 .. as far as I know, nobody else has any parts of this famous ship. I've tried to gift them to local museums but they're just not interested even though the drama is an important part of local history .. they don't belong to me, they're a physical reminder of the heroism of the locals on that day.

http://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?147175

I'm diversifying from eating Mammoths sorry ..

Last edited:
I can see the fascination such an area would hold for amateurs. Unfortunately these amateurs do not reaiise they cold cause far more damage to the environment and to the fossil record than they could ever come up with. But that's ok Swifty. Fossils are really hard on the teeth and digestive tract anyway.

Beachcombing is an income stream for many people.
I suppose the authorities have to punish people who take the piss - for example, if they cart away sackfuls of stuff.

It's more the damage they do than what they get. Back in the olden days when I and my cousins hunted fossils in the streams of backwoods West Virginia, we found a lot fossil trees, seashells and that very common critter the Trilobite. It was a lot of fun. We even found what looked like a fossil peach, broken in half showing the seed. But the Smithsonian said peaches hadn't been around long enough to fossilize. But they could not identify what it was.

Wow, My father would love it. He always said it looked too much like a peach to be otherwise. But in all fairness to the Smithsonian this was about 70 years ago. But this peach fossil was found in a mountain stream in the mountains of West Virginia. A loooooooong ways from India. Thanks for the tip-off. Dad has been gone since 1985, but he would have loved the article.

We've been fossil hunting in West Runton (Norfolk) recently .. not a lot of luck so far but that's only because we don't really know what we're doing yet, apparently they're abundant there. This forum looks like a handy help place so far ..

http://www.discussfossils.com/

This beach was the one the Mammoth was found at, experts are expecting more significant finds ..

https://ukfossils.co.uk/2004/09/18/west-runton/

I haven't fossil hunted in years. Back when I taught school, the school board had a load of gravel brought in and dumped in a section of the school yard that was perpetually wet. That load of gravel was full of petrified wood, leaf imprints and even insect parts. The kids were bringing them to me for identification. It was great fun and quite educational until the Administration had a fit because the kids were taking their gravel away from the area. What a bunch of smucks.
If there are any streams in your area, the ground around those streams are usually good places to fossil hunt. Also rocky cliff sides. Good luck.

We've been fossil hunting in West Runton (Norfolk) recently .. not a lot of luck so far but that's only because we don't really know what we're doing yet, apparently they're abundant there. This forum looks like a handy help place so far ..

http://www.discussfossils.com/

This beach was the one the Mammoth was found at, experts are expecting more significant finds ..

https://ukfossils.co.uk/2004/09/18/west-runton/
Fresh good news on West Runton beach ! ... a huge bone has been found by amateurs that's provisionally being called a Mammoth's fibular bone (or tibula depending on current sources) ... I'm well jell ...

bone.jpg

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/environ...h-discovery-on-beach-at-west-runton-1-4996064

Back