• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
If you really want to know what a Mammoth tasted like all you would need do is find African Elephant steaks. The African elephant was the Mammoths nearest living relative. In fact the cloning community plans to use the African elephant as the foster mother if they actually try to clone the Mammoth.

If you really want to know what a Mammoth tasted like all you would need do is find African Elephant steaks. The African elephant was the Mammoths nearest living relative. In fact the cloning community plans to use the African elephant as the foster mother if they actually try to clone the Mammoth.

Brig, it's the Asian elephant.

You, sir, are absolutely RIGHT. I can only proclaim I had a senior moment in my defense. When I went to the sight and saw my blunder I couldn't believe it. I was even imagining elephants with small ears when I wrote that. Getting old is not for the weak hearted. Weak minded, perhaps, but not the weal hearted.

Brig it's a minor point, and you're talking to someone who is no stranger to cognitive blips, believe me.

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong part of the forum?. I've been trying to find an old (1890's?)photograph supposedly showing a load of aristocrat looking types sat inside a large dinosaur's rib cage and dining on thawed out Wooly Mammoth steaks. This is the most credible sounding link I've found so far. I first saw the specific picture in a book that I remember was said to have been taken in a London museum? .. thanks.

http://msgboard.snopes.com/cgi-bin/ulti ... 000708;p=0
I know this thread has been in suspended animation for a few years but only the otjer day i came across this snippet whilst looking up info on Darwin and the glutton club (i share a birthday with Darwin)

One of the best stories comes from a geologist in the late 1970’s named Robert Thorson. He was on an expedition in Alaska studying rock layers in a bank of permafrost that had slowly begun to melt. No-one could have predicted what they would find in the melting permafrost. There, wedged into the bank was the frozen carcass of a 30 000 year old giant steppe bison that had been extinct for millenia. He and his colleague pulled on one of the bones and it broke away with a chunk of meat still attached to it. They looked knowingly at one another and immediately set about starting a fire. Thorson took the meat down to the nearest river and made sure to wash it properly, rinsing all of the silt and sediment away from the meat. He brought it back up to the fire and they set about roasting it as best they could. Once it was done they broke some meat off and together took their first tentative bites. It was certainly edible, but was by no means tasty. The meat was both stringy and leathery and had an strong pungent flavour of mild decay. I think it’s safe to say that neither man went back for seconds.

SOURCE: https://www.foodhistorypodcast.com/post/charles-darwin-and-the-glutton-club

Last edited by a moderator:
This is bizarre...

Australian company creates giant meatball from mammoth cells​

An Australian company has unveiled a meatball made of lab-grown cultured meat using the genetic sequence from the long-extinct mammoth, saying it was meant to fire up public debate about the hi-tech treat.
The launch in an Amsterdam science museum came just days before April 1 so there was an elephant in the room: is this for real?
"This is not an April Fools' joke," Tim Noakesmith, founder of startup Vow, said.

"This is a real innovation."

We have an interesting development that has made me think of some implications that might result.

Basically an Australian company which has been working on cultured meat has created a meatball from mammoth DNA. While it's not available for consumers right now, and they do admit it's a bit of a publicity stunt, it does mean that it may some day be possible to eat meat from any animal whose DNA is readily available. So we could in fact wind up eating dodo, mammoth, moa, thylacine, etc, all without the actual animals being around in paddocks.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...l-was-made-with-woolly-mammoth-dna-180981908/

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/03/28/world/mammoth-meatballs-cultured-meat-climate-scn/index.html

The company, called 'Vow', argue that cultured meat is environmentally friendlier than using pasture to grow animals, and that it's more ethical to eat cultured meat than to slaughter living creatures. Both arguments probably have some truth to them, but there's still resistance to eating lab-grown meat - Italy, for example, has just banned it altogether.

Okay, now for the implication that immediately occurred to me. If eating lab grown meat is ethical because it doesn't involve killing a living creature, how ethical would it be to eat lab grown meat developed from human DNA ? There's a lot of arguments against cannibalism, the main one being the obvious issue that it's not nice to go around killing people so you can eat them. That would not be an issue if you ate lab grown human meat.

I'm sure that the immediate emotional response to this idea is 'no way!' - but how do you justify that logically ?

mammoth_ball.jpg

OMG. It looks like a lump of poo.
I would not go anywhere near such a thing.

Its probably something that in areas will be very handy. (Moon dwellers will love it).

I doubt it will ever be mainstream; even if we dont breed them for food, there will always be conservation grazers and wild game.

(And is it ethical if its beyond the pocket of the ordinary consumer?)

Its probably something that in areas will be very handy. (Moon dwellers will love it).

I doubt it will ever be mainstream; even if we dont breed them for food, there will always be conservation grazers and wild game.

(And is it ethical if its beyond the pocket of the ordinary consumer?)

IKEA are probably rubbing their hands together!

Back