• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Edinburgh Fortean Society 2019

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
This year is the 20th anniversary of the founding of the Edinburgh Fortean Society.

I’ll put events on this thread for anyone interested.

January Folklore of UFO’s Scott Lyall
February The Mandela Effect Adele David
March 20 Years of EdFort Gordon Rutter
April EdFort Birthday Party
May Welsh Triangle Anne Jones
June It Happenend to Me
All talks take place on the second Tuesday of the month and we are currently meeting in the Beehive Inn, Grassmarket, Edinburgh

We’ve got a few other events planned as well including some day trips, longer trips and a day conference

Details on our Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/groups/162025221364/

And our web site

http://edinburghforteansociety.org.uk/

And our Twitter feed

https://mobile.twitter.com/EdinFortSoc

I feel like if I ever visited Edinburgh, I would never leave.

It is a truly-amazing place. Please do visit.

I used to be able to spend quite a bit of time there, but nowadays it's rare for me to be able to see any more than one Fringe show, and possibly a few brief visits in passing every couple of years.

Mind you, a couple of weeks back I had the enjoyable experience of a Dome Night at Edinburgh's stunning "My Dynamic Earth", this was based around Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side of the Moon'. Incredible. www.dynamicearth.co.uk/latest/blog/dark-side-of-the-moon-fringe-dome-nights

@gordonrutter - I shan't make any extravagant promises, but I might pop my head into the Grassmarket one of those Tuesdays. Sounds very interesting.

I used to be able to spend quite a bit of time there, but nowadays it's rare for me to be able to see any more than one Fringe show, and possibly a few brief visits in passing every couple of years.

Mind you, a couple of weeks back I had the enjoyable experience of a Dome Night at Edinburgh's stunning "My Dynamic Earth", this was based around Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side of the Moon'. Incredible. www.dynamicearth.co.uk/latest/blog/dark-side-of-the-moon-fringe-dome-nights

@gordonrutter - I shan't make any extravagant promises, but I might pop my head into the Grassmarket one of those Tuesdays. Sounds very interesting.
Please do Ermintruder, lots coming up as always!

Keep Saturday 13th of July free, just in case anything happens on this day. Just saying

Dunno about going over there at that time of the year. Are ye having a Fortean Orange Parade?

ochimp.jpg

They are, in general, getting less awful over the 25 years I've been in Glasgow. I think.

Until the attack on the priest last year :(

Accidentally came across one blocking a main route in town last season. My friend and I gravitated towards an impromptu sing-a-long next to the road through Nelson Mandela Place and spent the time giving it laldy to Fields of Athenry, Grace and Come Out You Black and Tans.

I don't think I've ever sung them in anger before :( hate breeds hate.

i
They are, in general, getting less awful over the 25 years I've been in Glasgow. I think.
Lamentably, sectarianism is endemic and passed on to the next generation.

Anyway, you so reminded myself of this classic Rikki Fulton sketch, dating from around the time Rangers were perceived to have a strict policy on not signing Catholics.

Gave myself such a laugh, thought it was maybe worth a wee mention!

Classic! ALso Evening Call with the Reverend IM Jolly.....

And I mentioned to keep the 13th of July free, well http://www.gordonrutter.com/edfort-at-20/

On the 9th of April 2019 the Edinburgh Fortean celebrates its 20th birthday
As part of our celebrations we are holding a one day conference at St Johns Church at the junction of Princes Street and Lothian Road

Saturday the 13th of July from 1130 to 1800 and then reconvening in a private vault in the Banshee Labyrinth from 1900 on.
The speakers are:-

Jan Bondeson – Talking Dogs of Germany

Richard Freeman – Death by Cryptid

Alison Rutter – Earth Hounds

Innes Smith – Paranormal Investigating – what’s the F****** point!?!? (F is for Fortean)

Caroline Watt – Investigating the Impossible: The work of the Koestler Parapsychology Unit

Richard Wiseman

Tickets are £12.50 for the whole day and are available at EdFort or directly from me. Tickets will shortly be available online.

Next meeting of the Edinburgh Fortean Society is Tuesday the 14th of May
Ann Jones will be talking on
Pembrokeshire, West Wales, 1977. 15 school kids spot a space ship and run to tell Sir. A family flees in blind panic from a fiery rugby football. Housewives and hoteliers are menaced by faceless silver suited fiends. The Broadhaven Triangle. Fact, fantasy or fake news? Come along, hear the evidence and decide for yourselves.
7.30pm in the Attic Comedy Room, Beehive Inn, Grassmarket, Edinburgh
£1 entry
UFO.jpg

The next meeting of the Edinburgh Fortean Society is Tuesday the 11th of June and it’s our 200 th talk.
7.30 in the Attic Comedy Room at The Beehive, Grassmarket.

It Happened to Us a collection of talks about Fortean events that have happened to our members and what got us into Forteana in the first place.

Tickets still available for the 13th of July conference.

The next meeting of the Edinburgh Fortean Society is Tuesday the 11th of June and it’s our 200 th talk.
7.30 in the Attic Comedy Room at The Beehive, Grassmarket.

It Happened to Us a collection of talks about Fortean events that have happened to our members and what got us into Forteana in the first place.

Tickets still available for the 13th of July conference.

If one were to be able to travel to Edinburgh on the 13th of July, would one find the venue to be wheelchair / disabled accessible, perchance?

One of our favourite cities. We’ve been to Edinburgh several times, did the whole ghost thing, the vaults, Mary King Close and most of the graveyards. Big Rebus fans so we traced our way round the pubs from the books, starting and (I think) finishing in the Ox bar.
Truly delightful city. If you ever get the chance to do a ghost hunt in the castle I would love to join you.
Saying that, as a born and bred Londoner, I don’t think our little town is too bad.

Back