• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Edinburgh Fortean Society 2019

And here is the article along with some dodgy looking people...
Perhaps I do recognise a few faces, as the mists begin to clear....

I also definitely think the venue looks familiar....the 'mystic portal' behind you all appears to be successfully-operating on that night (all hail the patron saint of AV and Tech, St John Lewis of Argos & Currys)

Saying that, as a born and bred Londoner, I don’t think our little town is too bad.
Indeed. But for sheer edgy urban compact cosmopolitan variety, Edinburgh truly is the Athens of the north

Here are details of the talks on the 13th of July

Jan Bondeson

Talking Dogs of Germany

In the early 20th century, the 'New Animal Psychology' movement in Germany thought that dogs possessed near-human intelligence, if trained to communicate. Rolf, the most famous of these super-intelligent dogs, tapped out messages on a board, solved complicated mathematical problems, and speculated about philosophy. The Nazi regime was proud of the country's educated dogs and tried to find ways to make use of them in the war effort.

Richard Freeman

Death By Cryptid

I have hunted cryptids in the four corners of the earth but have never feared them. I've been stalked by tigers, attacked by cobras, caught in a tornado and fallen off a cliff but i've never felt threatened by the creatures i was pursuing. However there are rare cases were humans have allegedly been killed, sometimes eaten and i one case perhaps something worse by monsters. Giant snakes, aquatic dragons, mystery maulers, monster squid and relic hominins have all had humans on the menu.

Alison Rutter

Unearthing the Earth Hounds

A mysterious creature is said to haunt the graveyards of Banffshire. Is it really possible that an undiscovered animal lives there and does it really dig into coffins and eat the bodies? Alison Rutter investigates.

Innes Smith

Paranormal Investigating: What's the F****** Point?

Paranormal Investigating is not Parapsychology - and is rarely held to the same high standards of scrutiny and peer review. But it doesn't mean that there shouldn't be an effort to gather the best evidence in the most scientific manner. Innes Smith, an investigator with the Scottish Society for Psychical Research, talks about the challenges he has faced over the past two decades and when considering the evidence ~ What's the Fortean point?

Caroline Watt

From Seance to Science: The Work of the Koestler Parapsychology Unit

Join Professor Caroline Watt, holder of the UK’s only Chair for parapsychological research, for a whistlestop tour of the highs and lows of more than three decades of research into paranormal claims. From the Indian Rope Trick, to seemingly prophetic dreams, to controlled laboratory research examining whether people have telepathic ability, discover the challenges and unexpected scientific rewards of investigating the impossible.

Richard Wiseman

Magic, mystery and mayhem

Psychologist Professor Richard Wiseman has dedicated his life to investigating matters paranormal. In this vaguely interesting talk he will reflect on some of his most memorable moments and explore how they have furthered our understanding of the seemingly impossible. Free packet of peanuts for the best question.

Tickets available from https://www.wegottickets.com/event/469789

I've been posting pics from the Con on our @EdinFortSoc Twitter (live tweeting, isn't technology wonderful nowadays). PotatoPhone quality, but I've been taking (hopefully) better quality ones with a proper camera. Will upload sometime...

Is Richard Freeman trying to make that jug of water levitate?
Screen Shot 2019-07-14 at 10.17.22jpeg.jpg

I had a really great day.
Ditto-snap! A massive vote of thanks to MC @gordonrutter and, of course, to the excellent presenters.

Lovely venue, interesting talks and great chat.
Exactly so! Just ideal.

Not water. He said it was neat gin.
I do think that's a distinct possibility.

However, Richard did manage to stay sober long-enough (thank the lord!) to kindly personalise his autograph in my newly-bought copy of "Adventures in Cryptozoology" (which will, for now, become my avatar).

Ditto-snap! A massive vote of thanks to MC @gordonrutter and, of course, to the excellent presenters.

Exactly so! Just ideal.

I do think that's a distinct possibility.

However, Richard did manage to stay sober long-enough (thank the lord!) to kindly personalise his autograph in my newly-bought copy of "Adventures in Cryptozoology" (which will, for now, become my avatar).
Thanks, glad you enjoyed it, thanks for coming.

Photos are now up on the website! http://edinburghforteansociety.org.uk/

One gallery from the conference, another from Ash's act at the Banshee Labyrinth. All those involved can (upon payment of a small administrative fee) have the worst, most embarrassing photos removed. Larger versions of pics also available on request.
Hang on that will bankrupt me!

Next meeting of the Edinburgh Fortean Society is tonight , the 10th of September
Bone Idol: The Ossuaries of Europe
Practical storage solution, morbid curiosity, or an important way to interact with the dead and contemplate our own mortality? Bones are the most enduring parts of our mortal remains, and ideas about what to do with them have ranged from the simple to the astoundingly elaborate. Human Remains Conservator Cat Irving will take you on a journey across Europe that will encompass painted skulls and bling skeletons, bone chandeliers and the six million people who lie beneath the streets of Paris.
Tuesday 10th of September
7.30pm
The Attic Comedy Room
The Beehive,
Grassmarket,
Edinburgh
Entry £1.

Next meeting of the Edinburgh Fortean Society is Tuesday the 14th of May
Ann Jones will be talking on
Pembrokeshire, West Wales, 1977. 15 school kids spot a space ship and run to tell Sir. A family flees in blind panic from a fiery rugby football. Housewives and hoteliers are menaced by faceless silver suited fiends. The Broadhaven Triangle. Fact, fantasy or fake news? Come along, hear the evidence and decide for yourselves.
7.30pm in the Attic Comedy Room, Beehive Inn, Grassmarket, Edinburgh
£1 entry
View attachment 16439
Was there any further information made available on this UFO case in Broadhaven, Wales?
Interesting, are they still having meetings on this?
I was just reading up on this today, most puzzling.

Back