Edinburgh Fortean Society 2020

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score
Is that an original Uschuya or a fake fake?
Fake fakes are churned out as a cottage industry in the area now so it may be one of those, alternatively I did write to the current owner of the museum several years ago and they do have 10 000 of these, so it may be one of those. Or it may be something else entirely! All of the above is true but it is actually the latter, something else entirely. Its a resin cast.

gordonrutter

Staff member
Reaction score
Fake fakes are churned out as a cottage industry in the area now so it may be one of those, alternatively I did write to the current owner of the museum several years ago and they do have 10 000 of these, so it may be one of those. Or it may be something else entirely! All of the above is true but it is actually the latter, something else entirely. Its a resin cast.
I see ebay currently has two "original" stones listed, one for £900 and the other for £2100. There's also some nice bed linen for sale as well...

gordonrutter

Staff member
Reaction score
The next meeting of the Edinburgh Fortean Society is Tuesday the 12th of May and its an online Fortean quiz! Try your hand

gordonrutter

Staff member
Reaction score
A reminder that the quiz is on tonight and there is a special offer on subscription to Fortean Times for Edinburgh Fortean Society people!

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Ooh I did well then. :cool: Reminds me to go and look at my atlas to see what the place I thought was Sumatra is.

Edit -Java.

gordonrutter

Staff member
Reaction score
And the next online Edinburgh Fortean Society event is
Stew Smith will be talking online from 7.30pm on Tuesday the 9th of June about Da Music o’ Da Trows.
The Shetland Islands are the most northerly in the British Isles and have a rich folklore tradition descending from their Norse roots. The local version of the little people or faerie folk there are the Trows, small humanoids who live under the hills, emerging to cause mischief. They are famous for their love of music and many traditional Shetland folk songs are considered to be “Trowie Tunes”, directly inspired by interactions with the Trows. In this talk I’ll introduce you to the Trows and their music, as well as talking through a few other Shetland myths and monsters
The video channel is https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX8Ez-brarHABUMKRQsT-lA/
Please check out our other videos there.