• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Edinburgh Fortean Society 2022

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Here are the details of the January 2022 EdFort meeting

Fifty years of Fortean TV: the good, the bad and the preposterous

From 'In Search Of..' with the bloke who plays Spock to.. erm.. 'In Search Of' with the bloke who plays Spock and everything in between and sometimes either side, Stu Neville, the FT's resident couch potato looks at half a century of Fortean-themed television from the sublime to the ridiculous.

A recorded version will be uploaded to YouTube.

Jan 11, 2022 07:30 PM

Join Zoom Meeting https://ed-ac-uk.zoom.us/j/89251353012

Meeting ID: 892 5135 3012

Passcode: 1FsE4Y0F

Yes, that Stu Neville - a chance to see and hear him - does he really exist?

Last edited:
Will it go up on YouTube, eventually, Gordon?

Here are the details of the January 2022 EdFort meeting

Fifty years of Fortean TV: the good, the bad and the preposterous

From 'In Search Of..' with the bloke who plays Spock to.. erm.. 'In Search Of' with the bloke who plays Spock and everything in between and sometimes either side, Stu Neville, the FT's resident couch potato looks at half a century of Fortean-themed television from the sublime to the ridiculous.

Yes, that Stu Neville - a chance to see and hear him - does he really exist?
Now available on YouTube

Here are the details of the February meeting ofthe Edinburgh Fortean Society
The next meeting of the Edinburgh Fortean Society will take place live on Zoom on Tuesday the 8th of February at 8pm GMT (note slightly later than normal start time).

Gordon Rutter will be speaking on
The Complete and Mostly Accurate History of the Edinburgh Fortean Society (pt 1).
On the go since April 1999 but what were the early days like? What were the talks about and who gave them?
Available as a part work which will eventually build up to a complete history of the Edinburgh Fortean Society come along and enjoy part 1 - the beginning. Live on Zoom at 8pm, video will be subsequently uploaded to YouTube.

Topic: Ed Fort February Meeting
Time: Feb 8, 2022 08:00 PM London
Join Zoom Meeting https://ed-ac-uk.zoom.us/j/86466569662
Meeting ID: 864 6656 9662
Passcode: v30ZF56U
Join by Skype for Business
Join by Skype for Business https://ed-ac-uk.zoom.us/skype/86466569662

Dammit, missed it (I was quadruple-booked IRL). Hopefully I'll see Part 2 live next month....meantime, is Part One getting posted-up onto Youtube sometime soon?

Available as a part work
Are you going with Marshall Cavendish or De Agostini? :rofl:

And: is it too soon yet to predict any return-date for 'Beehive bedlam'??

(Meantime- I need to attach myself onto a basement water-pipe with a large leather belt, before the weather lifts our house away...)

Dammit, missed it (I was quadruple-booked IRL). Hopefully I'll see Part 2 live next month....meantime, is Part One getting posted-up onto Youtube sometime soon?

Are you going with Marshall Cavendish or De Agostini? :rofl:

And: is it too soon yet to predict any return-date for 'Beehive bedlam'??

(Meantime- I need to attach myself onto a basement water-pipe with a large leather belt, before the weather lifts our house away...)
It will indeed be appearing on YouTube and I'll post the link. Part 2 is at some point in the future rather than next month. I'll get next months details up soon I hope.

As to back to the Beehive, when we can so hopefully soon!

And I know what you mean, the wind is fair whistling down the chimney here and bins have been going for a merry wander.

The next meeting of the Edinburgh Fortean Society will take place live on Zoom on Tuesday the 8th of February at 8pm GMT (note slightly later than normal start time).

Gordon Rutter will be speaking on
The Complete and Mostly Accurate History of the Edinburgh Fortean Society (pt 1).
On the go since April 1999 but what were the early days like? What were the talks about and who gave them?
Available as a part work which will eventually build up to a complete history of the Edinburgh Fortean Society come along and enjoy part 1 - the beginning. Live on Zoom at 8pm, video will be subsequently uploaded to YouTube.

Topic: Ed Fort February Meeting
Time: Feb 8, 2022 08:00 PM London
Join Zoom Meeting https://ed-ac-uk.zoom.us/j/86466569662
Join by Skype for Business
Join by Skype for Business https://ed-ac-uk.zoom.us/skype/86466569662
Here is the Youtube link

Details fo the next, online, meeting of the Edinburgh Fortean Society

The Edinburgh Fortean Society presents
In Conversation with Matt Bille

Join Matt Bille and Gordon Rutter as they talk about crytpozoology.

Matt is an author and his first two cryptozoology books are Rumors of Existence and Shadows of Existence. His latest book, Of Books and Beasts, A Crytpozoologist's Library, was published at the end of 2021

A frequent contributor to TV programmes Matt has had a prolific blog since 2005.

The video will be available online from 7.30pm on Tuesday the 8th of March from https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX8Ez-brarHABUMKRQsT-lA

Details fo the next, online, meeting of the Edinburgh Fortean Society

The Edinburgh Fortean Society presents
In Conversation with Matt Bille

Join Matt Bille and Gordon Rutter as they talk about crytpozoology.

Matt is an author and his first two cryptozoology books are Rumors of Existence and Shadows of Existence. His latest book, Of Books and Beasts, A Crytpozoologist's Library, was published at the end of 2021

A frequent contributor to TV programmes Matt has had a prolific blog since 2005.

The video will be available online from 7.30pm on Tuesday the 8th of March from https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX8Ez-brarHABUMKRQsT-lA
Direct link to the video from 7.30pm Tuesday

Here are the details for the April meeting of the Edinburgh Fortean Society

Wednesday the 13th of April represents the return to real life meetings of the Edinburgh Fortean Society.

We will be meeting in the Comedy Room (upstairs as far as you can go) of the Beehive pub in Grassmarket from 7.30 pm, and its a social meeting - no organsied talk but a chance to chat to everyone, to be out meeting friends face to face.

Please note this meeting is a Wednesday rather than our previous Tuesday meeting, it is likely that we will be making the move to the second Wednesday of the month for the foreseeable future.

Just watching the episode with Dr Ciaran OKeeffe talking about his book - I put it on just out of interest and it's brilliant stuff.

Glad you're enjoying it plenty of others to check out too!
I've watched quite a few. I happened on this one by accident, and put it in intending to just run it in the background whilst I did other things, but I am watching with rapt attention.

I have been rummaging through a collection of old books, predominantly bought in charity shops many years ago and then, as of course happens, they end up in a box, buried under several similar boxes, in the cupboard that nobody ever ventures into...

You know the one...

So.... have come across this...

Wonderful, tactile, cover!

As we would expect, there's nothing 'Fortean', related therein....

...hang on a minute... :)

Compress_20220423_233256_6825.jpg

Compress_20220423_233256_6601.jpg

Compress_20220423_233256_6373.jpg

...hang on a minute... :)
Apologies, the poem continues onto another page, I hadn't noticed:

An' the same ship bring London folk back her,
To crack wi' Embro folks and tak' their dinner.

Afore ye dae arrive there, tho',
Mak' sure tae fill up afore, ye ken,
Fur the first thing that they'll greet ye wi',
Is, 'You'll have surely had yer tea then'.

Fur the first thing that they'll greet ye wi',
Is, 'You'll have surely had yer tea then'.
"Inverurie Jones & the Thimble of Doom" (Crier & Garden at their stereotypifying brilliant best)

(@Comfortably Numb - you'll need to take a hurl along the M8 one of these Wednesdays, to join us at the Embra Grassmarket Beehive!!)

...you'll need to take a hurl along the M8 one of these Wednesdays, to join us at the Embra Grassmarket Beehive!!)
Would be delighted.... what exactly is the situation now regarding a public gathering of like-minded souls?

Incidentally, nowhere near the M8 - Scottish Borders!

With the Borders railway link, I can now leave my house and be in the centre of Edinburgh - some 40 miles northward - in 50 minutes.

Much to the dismay of friends who live in Edinburgh and can't do that!

Would be delighted.... what exactly is the situation now regarding a public gathering of like-minded souls?

Incidentally, nowhere near the M8 - Scottish Borders!

With the Borders railway link, I can now leave my house and be in the centre of Edinburgh - some 40 miles northward - in 50 minutes.

Much to the dismay of friends who live in Edinburgh and can't do that!
Face to face meetings are no problem. Just waiting for final confirmation on a couple of things before I publicise the next meeting...

Face to face meetings are no problem. Just waiting for final confirmation on a couple of things before I publicise the next meeting...
Awesome!

I remain bewildered by the situation:

- my daughter's partner had a flu-like virus just a few weeks ago and tested COVID-19 negative each day. Fully recovered, he then tested positive.

- I had a standard, scheduled blood test check at my local clinic this week, wearing a face mask and asked the nurse if it was still mandatory. She confirmed... 'to be honest, we don't know'.

Though occurs that if I were to conclude, 'none the wiser', a certain Mr Fort might understand.

Hopefully we are good to go!

The next meeting of the Edinburgh Fortean Society is Wednesday the 11th of May at 7.30pm

This will be held in the restaurant area of the Beehive Bar in Grassmarket, this is on the floor below our normal meeting room.

Ash Pryce will be speaking on

Victorian Spiritualism: The Fox Sisters and the World they Created

In 1848, Western New York, two young sisters stumbled across the spirit world and a religion rapidly grew out of it. Stretching from the Tsars of Russia, to the court of the French Emperor, across oceans and continents, a movement spread. In 1888 the sisters revealed a startling secret - the spirit rappings that originated the movement had been faked.

Ash Pryce is a stage mentalist and founder of the Edinburgh Skeptics society. In his first traditional lecture in more than a decade, he will be looking at the world of the Victorian Occult, the big names that sold it, and the skeptics that tried to expose it, and the women that created a global phenomena.

The next meeting of the Edinburgh Fortean Society is Wednesday the 8th of June at 7.30pm

This will be held in the Comedy Room of the Beehive Bar in the Grassmarket, Edinburgh

Stuart Robbins will be speaking on

TALES OF TREES BEWITCHED Weird wanderings among Scottish trees

"To enter a wood is to pass into a different world in which we ourselves are transformed.”
Roger Deakin, Wildwood: A Journey through Trees
Our forests are haunted - places of ritual, imagination and the supernatural. Stuart Robins will take us on a highly visual journey around Scotland in search of remarkable and mysterious individual trees. Exploring their folktales, history and fortean themes including ghosts, witches, fairies and death.
Originally intended as an lockdown on-line Edinburgh Fortean event, Stuart will introduce his presentation. There’ll be a follow up Q&A session, and an opportunity to contribute with any weird tree tales you have to tell.

£1 entry
FB-Pic.jpg

Am just bumping this thread up, as I'm sitting here on a fairly dismal June Sunday afternoon and working my way through the YouTube videos again.

Best thing on TV at the moment. Although I've not started on Stranger Things yet, so...

Am just bumping this thread up, as I'm sitting here on a fairly dismal June Sunday afternoon and working my way through the YouTube videos again.

Best thing on TV at the moment. Although I've not started on Stranger Things yet, so...
Thank you, appreciated.

The talk from this week on Tales of Trees Bewitched will have an online presence, unfortunately it has not proven possible to do this with last months Fox Sisters talk.

Thank you, appreciated.

The talk from this week on Tales of Trees Bewitched will have an online presence, unfortunately it has not proven possible to do this with last months Fox Sisters talk.
That's very good news. About Trees being online, not about the Fox Sisters not being.

I just watched Stu's contribution, 50 Years of Fortean TV, which was excellent. And made me laugh rather a lot.

The next meeting of the Edinburgh Fortean Society will be Wednesday the 13th of July at 7.30pm

This will be held in the Comedy Attic of The Beehive Inn, Grassmarket.

John Tantalon will be talking on:-

Beyond North Edinburgh Nightmares

John Tantalon, author of North Edinburgh Nightmares, will treat us to some spooky tales from North Edinburgh, including new material from his latest book and some from his next book covering Hampshire aad Surrey.

There will also be an appearance from one of the witnesses to some spooky happenings from Brunstane Farm, Portobello as well as a recounting of some incidents during a recording of an episode of North Edinburgh Nightmares at The Sheep Heid Pub.

£1 entry.
beyond north edinburgh nightmares.jpg

The next meeting of the Edinburgh Fortean Society will be Wednesday the 13th of July at 7.30pm

This will be held in the Comedy Attic of The Beehive Inn, Grassmarket.

John Tantalon will be talking on:-

Beyond North Edinburgh Nightmares

John Tantalon, author of North Edinburgh Nightmares, will treat us to some spooky tales from North Edinburgh, including new material from his latest book and some from his next book covering Hampshire aad Surrey.

There will also be an appearance from one of the witnesses to some spooky happenings from Brunstane Farm, Portobello as well as a recounting of some incidents during a recording of an episode of North Edinburgh Nightmares at The Sheep Heid Pub.

£1 entry.
View attachment 56200
Are there any NYC branches?

Back