Eerie East London

Yossarian

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
On the "Star of David drawn across a map" - someone once drew a Pentagram across a map of an area of the UK by connecting the location of Little Chefs. You can find "evidence" for anything if you look hard enough for it.

As for London weirdness, it's something of a passion of mine, as for years I laboured over an impossible project - attempting to write a novel tying together personal experience, and a litany of London myths, history and fiction, all based around the idea that, in a city as old as London, all of those things become one and the same; that, in the popular imagination at least, Sherlock Holmes or My Hyde is as real as Jack The Ripper (for example), and that the London of the Imagination is more "real" than the city itself.

It amounted to pages and pages of incomprehensible flowcharts, and little else, but did involve me putting together a small library of reference books on London's history, weird tales, mythology, and plenty besides. Very much down the rabbit hole.

A personal favourite was always the Black Sewer-Swine of Hampstead - enormous black pigs stalking the sewers, their prodigious size explained by their constant diet of waste.

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Reaction score
I travelled 12,000 mile from Australia, sat in one of those lovely London parks near St Pancras Station, and, at the base of a tree, not more than three feet from my feet was a Burrin, at least 6,500 years old - I don't think that I would've noticed it except for the familiarity we have with Australian Aboriginal artifacts.

Thank You London.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I travelled 12,000 mile from Australia, sat in one of those lovely London parks near St Pancras Station, and, at the base of a tree, not more than three feet from my feet was a Burrin, at least 6,500 years old - I don't think that I would've noticed it except for the familiarity we have with Australian Aboriginal artifacts.

Thank You London.
How did an Australian aboriginal artefact get there?

Dick Turpin

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
This one is definitely a candidate for the strange people thread, but seeing as this happened in a flat in Bethnal Green (East London) I’ve put it here.

I once lived in a fourth floor flat in which I had some interesting neighbours, including a middle aged lady who I’ll call Jo.

Jo was in her mid-60’s, unmarried, had no children or seemingly any family or friends, in fact in the 3 years she was a neighbour of mine I don’t think that I ever noticed anyone visit her.

One evening I bumped into her as I was coming home from work, we were chatting about this and that, when she asked if I saw them last night, I asked who, and she said why the aliens of course, and that I’d better be careful and watch out for them.

Straight away I realised there was something not quite right about her, so played along promising that I’ll watch out for the aliens in future. Unfortunately for Jo her mental health deteriorated quite rapidly, as a few days later I was leaving for work, when I noticed her standing on the landing outside her front door, striking something within with a broom.

Thinking that she may have had a rat or mouse, I walked over and asked her if she was alright. I could tell she’d been crying and she told me that it got in through the letter box last night but she couldn’t get it out. I asked what and she pointed to a spot just inside the door.

I looked and couldn’t see anything so asked her what I was supposed to be looking for, and she said can you not see the Alien crouching in the corner. There was nothing there of course, but I did walk over to where it was supposed to be, and pretended to pick it up and throw it was over the balcony. Jo was very grateful, but unfortunately that set a precedent, as she started to knock at my front door 2 or 3 times a day asking me to get rid of an alien.

I think it was the family who lived in the flat directly below Jo who contacted the authorities. The men with white coats turned up one afternoon and carted her away, god knows where, and I never saw poor Jo again.

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
Reaction score
You are a kind soul Dick Turpin.

The mother of a friend of mine starting having hallucinations of strange men crouching in her apartment. She was developing dementia, and this was complicated by the fact that she was unable to keep track of her medications. It was hard to tell what was dementia and what was an adverse medical reaction. It was very stressful and sad for both of them!