• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Unfortunately I'm still in no-money land, although with the amount of job agencies I'm signed up to it can't last long. Apparently there are 370 employment agencies in Edinburgh, one of the highest levels per capita in the world.

Phadrox

phadrox said:
Unfortunately I'm still in no-money land, although with the amount of job agencies I'm signed up to it can't last long. Apparently there are 370 employment agencies in Edinburgh, one of the highest levels per capita in the world.

Phadrox

But EdFort tonight is free entry a talk on ID vs Evolution from 8.30 at the Canon's Gait pub on the Royal Mile

Well worth it.

Gordon

Has anyone tried reading Ian Rankin's Rebus books?

He's quite an enjoyable author when I'm looking for something 'easy' to read.

A lot of his novels have lots of in-depth information about Edinburgh's murkier past with all of the locations and people being historically acurate (as far as I can tell).

There's one book in particular which deals with Burke and Hare in a lot of detail, including what happened to their bodies once they were caught and hanged (I can't remember which one it is at the moment but I'll try to dig it out and post it here later).

Another book, 'Fleshmarket Close', talks about Mag Lennox who was reputed to be a witch. Once the citizens of the town killed her, they didn't want her buried as they had fears she would climb out of her coffin and exact her revenge on the town which put her to death. They allowed her to rot and then put her skeleton on display for the townsfolk to look at. Alexander Monro, the Professor of Anatomy and Surgery at the University of Edinburgh came into possession of the bones and bequeathed them to the University, where they still reside today. I know this one to be true because I remember being taught something to do with this at school.

Princess Street Gardens also used to be the Nor' Loch, where many suspected witches were drowned. It is also the place where Sawney Been and his Clan, the cave-dwelling cannibals from Ballantrae on the West Coast of Scotland, were drowned.

Lord Pineapple~ said:
The name Leith was supposed to be based on Lethe, the Hades river where you washed to forget everything.

I live in Leith and that really does make sense!

Nichol edwards is a supposedly haunted pub. Ask one of the staff to let you see the old rehersal rooms. I know someone who says they often had their equipment turn off for no reason in there.

Its a great city to live in for haunted corners.

The Canons' Gait Bar on the Royal Mile (where the Edinburgh Fortean Society meets on the 2nd Tuesday of every month) is reputedly haunted. I have been in there with someone who was having a conversation with me and someone who was walking out of the wall at the same time. It is also supposedly one of the pubs where Burke and Hare met up with some of their victims.

Gordon

I live near Edinburgh , so I'll need to pop along some time . The Canons Gait is a great pub - I used to drink there all the time when I was a student at Moray House.

I stayed in edinburgh recently and went on the Aul Reekie walk - a 'quiet' walk as my youngest son wanted to go on it - and didn't experience anything but a creepy atmosphere, really. One interesting thing was the pub landlord saw Yvette Fielding crying in a hall on her own when Mot Haunted was being filmed there. He said she didn't know she was being watched and she seemed really scared. Hmm...
But Edinburgh, like Glastonbury and the battle site of Culloden, is just such an oppressive place. Every inch of it felt 'haunted' and unsettling to me. I seriously don't think I'd live in either Glastonbury or Edinburgh (and I'm sure I wouldn't live in Culloden even if I could).

More spooky activities in Edinburgh

Alarmed Edinburgh man catches a glimpse 'fisherman ghost' at top of stairs​

The TikTok video appears to show shadowy figures standing at the top of a set of stairs.

An Edinburgh man has appeared to catch a glimpse of a 'fisherman ghost' while out on a tour of the city.
The capital is known for its fair share of the paranormal, with tours frequently taking visitors down to the likes of Mary Kings Close or deep into the underground vaults.
Many have recalled tales of feeling strange sensations, hearing odd noises or even spotting shadowed figures in the darkness.
It seems one man was one of the latest to have an encounter with a 'ghost' from the city's past, and even managed to take a quick snap of the moment.
https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/alarmed-edinburgh-man-catches-glimpse-20818070

The Wild West-style ghost town hidden in an alley

Hidden down an alley in one of Edinburgh's most upmarket suburbs lies a Wild West-style ghost town.

The secretive street is so hard to find that most Morningside residents are unaware of its existence.
It was created more than 30 years ago by a cowboy enthusiast to advertise his furniture company, but was abandoned a decade later after the firm went bust.

The facades for a jail, a general store, ticket office and a cantina still survive, although the old railway station did not.

Now the tiny units are home to a small community of tradespeople.
1678544973682.png

1678545001609.png

Back