Egg Mysteries

A

Anonymous

Guest
#1
Hollow Eggs!?

Yesterday my mom was in the kitchen just cleaning and she remembered about the eggs that we had had in the basket for several weeks and not used. She decided to throw them away, as you do. She picked one up and cracked it open to stop them messing up the inside of the bin (trash can). On doing this she found them ALL to be completely hollow, no yoke!?

(sorry about the punn at the end there):D
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
#2
if you get a pin and poke a hole in the top and one on the bottom of the egg then blow on the top hole the contents of the egg slowly come out of the bottom hole

i used to do this to my mothers eggs as a prank but ive never heard of it occuring naturally i think even if the contents rotted away there would still be some residue left inside the shell

maybe someone in your family is playing a joke on your mum and u just dont know about it yet
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
#3
Strange eggs are laid every once in a while. But was the eggs all hollow, or just missing a yolk. Was the white stuff there?
 

carole

Justified & Ancient
Joined
Aug 1, 2001
Messages
2,309
Likes
51
Points
79
#4
I was going to suggest that perhaps there had been tiny cracks in the eggshells, allowing the contents to seep out, but then the shells and surrounding areas would have been covered with gunge, wouldn't they?

Carole
 

_schnor

Abominable Snowman
Joined
Aug 14, 2001
Messages
995
Likes
7
Points
49
#5
It's impossible to have an empty egg, what happens is the egg travels down the oviduct getting coated with albumen, then the membranes get produced, then in the uterus, calcium is deposited on the egg, left for about a day until the shell hardens, and then voila - you get an egg.

I reacon it was some sort of prank, as you simply cannot have a hen producing just a shell, as you have to have an egg there in the first place :)
 

bagins_X

Devoted Cultist
Joined
Aug 6, 2001
Messages
170
Likes
53
Points
59
#6
Perhaps they were not so much empty as dried out? with out knowing how they were stored it is difficult to say.

Wm
 

The late Pete Younger

Venerable and Missed
Joined
Jul 31, 2001
Messages
5,891
Likes
130
Points
129
#7
If the eggs had been empty when your mum bought them she would surly have noticed their lightness, so I also susspect trickery.;)
 

rynner2

Great Old One
Joined
Aug 7, 2001
Messages
55,252
Likes
8,933
Points
284
Location
Under the moon
#8
Come on, Oracle, we need more facts before we can speculate sensibly. How acquired, how old, how stored, etc.

(This isn't another poxy UL is it?)
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
#9
Okay so you guys don't believe in the Egg Fairy. Just remember when you were young you all believed in the Tooth Fairy just cos you got 5p per tooth. How big a bribe do you need to accept an Egg Fairy?

Tony
 

marion

Ungnoing.
Joined
Nov 3, 2001
Messages
1,574
Likes
172
Points
94
#10
I've had eggs dry up in the fridge , if they are left . They don't always rot . They must be 99% water ,
Marion
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
#12
the mass of yolk etc squeezes the uterus out to that shape, then the calcium is just deposited on the inside of the uterus walls, presumably?
 

_schnor

Abominable Snowman
Joined
Aug 14, 2001
Messages
995
Likes
7
Points
49
#13
Very carefully, you have to be careful the chicken isn't too cramped otherwise you get odd shaped eggs. The process by which the egg travels is similar in nature to paristalsis (sp?), and if anythings squashed the egg is distorted before the outer membrance is produced, the shell is then deposited and if the eggs an odd shape, you're stuck with it.

Similarly, stress makes eggs runny, as when chickens are stressed, the muscle ripples quicker and doesn't deposit the albumen properly.

As for why the eggs are egg shaped, its because of the way theyre pushed through the oviduct, a sort of torpedo shape, but I think evolution plays it's part, because cliff dwelling birds lay pointy eggs so they can't roll off cliffs.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
#14
schnor said:
Very carefully, you have to be careful the chicken isn't too cramped otherwise you get odd shaped eggs. The process by which the egg travels is similar in nature to paristalsis (sp?), and if anythings squashed the egg is distorted before the outer membrance is produced, the shell is then deposited and if the eggs an odd shape, you're stuck with it.

Similarly, stress makes eggs runny, as when chickens are stressed, the muscle ripples quicker and doesn't deposit the albumen properly.

As for why the eggs are egg shaped, its because of the way theyre pushed through the oviduct, a sort of torpedo shape, but I think evolution plays it's part, because cliff dwelling birds lay pointy eggs so they can't roll off cliffs.
hey man

you know FAR too much about chickens if u ask me
 

_schnor

Abominable Snowman
Joined
Aug 14, 2001
Messages
995
Likes
7
Points
49
#15
rofl :eek:

I was brought up on a farm, went to agric college, and now have about 20 or so chickens.

Least I'm never short of eggs..... always with the eggs :rolleyes:
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
#16
so tll me thins... does a female chicken have to be impregnated in order to lay an egg or does it lay an egg that just wont hatch if it hasnt been ridden by the big red rooster???

its just i was in a fight with a guy in a pub once cos he reakons that chickens dont lay em unless they had sex.... it turned nasty and lets just say he spent that night in the royal infirmary.. :blah: :cross eye :eek!!!!:
 

_schnor

Abominable Snowman
Joined
Aug 14, 2001
Messages
995
Likes
7
Points
49
#17
Nope, just in the same way women ovulate once a month (if your lucky ;)) chickens ovulate (lay eggs) once a day.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
#18
If a chicken lays an egg after havin' it off, it'll have a little yellow feathery thing in it...eventually...
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
#19
Many thanks for the anatomical lecture on chickens, folks. Sadly I learned nothing new because my father was once a poultry farmer, so I was fairly well versed. When I was about ten years old , a middle aged neighbour kept chickens and taught me how to kill them when she wanted to eat one ( mostly I think because she did not like plucking them herself and I didn't mind doing it) But the question is: how could I happily do that at ten years old when I could not do it now?
Second question: We know why an egg is egg shaped ( we would not recognise them if they were cubes) but why is a chicken chicken-shaped?

Tony:rolleyes:
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
#22
NO! It certainly isn't all right - it's chicken shaped and there's got to be a reason.

BTW I am trapped inside this hollow egg, I do not have a beak,
how do I get out?

Tony:eek!!!!:
 

The late Pete Younger

Venerable and Missed
Joined
Jul 31, 2001
Messages
5,891
Likes
130
Points
129
#23
RichardSimmons said:
so tll me thins... does a female chicken have to be impregnated in order to lay an egg or does it lay an egg that just wont hatch if it hasnt been ridden by the big red rooster???

its just i was in a fight with a guy in a pub once cos he reakons that chickens dont lay em unless they had sex.... it turned nasty and lets just say he spent that night in the royal infirmary.. :blah: :cross eye :eek!!!!:
Why, did he have to take you there?
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
#25
p.younger said:
Why, did he have to take you there?
get your specs on and read my post again old timer.. i said he had to spend the night in the royal.. i had a lovely night in a cell :p
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
#26
schnor said:
Nope, just in the same way women ovulate once a month (if your lucky ;)) chickens ovulate (lay eggs) once a day.
so i was right after all... i wonder if we could develope some sort of chicken tampon

have you ever chocked your chicken schnor?
 

_schnor

Abominable Snowman
Joined
Aug 14, 2001
Messages
995
Likes
7
Points
49
#27
No, I never Chock my chicken, but I choke my chicken regularly thanks ;)

Sadly, only when the G/F aint aboot :hmph:
 
Top