• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Egg Mysteries

A

Anonymous

Hollow Eggs!?

Yesterday my mom was in the kitchen just cleaning and she remembered about the eggs that we had had in the basket for several weeks and not used. She decided to throw them away, as you do. She picked one up and cracked it open to stop them messing up the inside of the bin (trash can). On doing this she found them ALL to be completely hollow, no yoke!?

(sorry about the punn at the end there):D

if you get a pin and poke a hole in the top and one on the bottom of the egg then blow on the top hole the contents of the egg slowly come out of the bottom hole

i used to do this to my mothers eggs as a prank but ive never heard of it occuring naturally i think even if the contents rotted away there would still be some residue left inside the shell

maybe someone in your family is playing a joke on your mum and u just dont know about it yet

Strange eggs are laid every once in a while. But was the eggs all hollow, or just missing a yolk. Was the white stuff there?

I was going to suggest that perhaps there had been tiny cracks in the eggshells, allowing the contents to seep out, but then the shells and surrounding areas would have been covered with gunge, wouldn't they?

Carole

It's impossible to have an empty egg, what happens is the egg travels down the oviduct getting coated with albumen, then the membranes get produced, then in the uterus, calcium is deposited on the egg, left for about a day until the shell hardens, and then voila - you get an egg.

I reacon it was some sort of prank, as you simply cannot have a hen producing just a shell, as you have to have an egg there in the first place :)

Perhaps they were not so much empty as dried out? with out knowing how they were stored it is difficult to say.

Wm

If the eggs had been empty when your mum bought them she would surly have noticed their lightness, so I also susspect trickery.;)

Come on, Oracle, we need more facts before we can speculate sensibly. How acquired, how old, how stored, etc.

(This isn't another poxy UL is it?)

Okay so you guys don't believe in the Egg Fairy. Just remember when you were young you all believed in the Tooth Fairy just cos you got 5p per tooth. How big a bribe do you need to accept an Egg Fairy?

Tony

I've had eggs dry up in the fridge , if they are left . They don't always rot . They must be 99% water ,
Marion

So how does the egg maintain it's shape while the coating is put on?

the mass of yolk etc squeezes the uterus out to that shape, then the calcium is just deposited on the inside of the uterus walls, presumably?

Very carefully, you have to be careful the chicken isn't too cramped otherwise you get odd shaped eggs. The process by which the egg travels is similar in nature to paristalsis (sp?), and if anythings squashed the egg is distorted before the outer membrance is produced, the shell is then deposited and if the eggs an odd shape, you're stuck with it.

Similarly, stress makes eggs runny, as when chickens are stressed, the muscle ripples quicker and doesn't deposit the albumen properly.

As for why the eggs are egg shaped, its because of the way theyre pushed through the oviduct, a sort of torpedo shape, but I think evolution plays it's part, because cliff dwelling birds lay pointy eggs so they can't roll off cliffs.

schnor said:
Very carefully, you have to be careful the chicken isn't too cramped otherwise you get odd shaped eggs. The process by which the egg travels is similar in nature to paristalsis (sp?), and if anythings squashed the egg is distorted before the outer membrance is produced, the shell is then deposited and if the eggs an odd shape, you're stuck with it.

Similarly, stress makes eggs runny, as when chickens are stressed, the muscle ripples quicker and doesn't deposit the albumen properly.

As for why the eggs are egg shaped, its because of the way theyre pushed through the oviduct, a sort of torpedo shape, but I think evolution plays it's part, because cliff dwelling birds lay pointy eggs so they can't roll off cliffs.

hey man

you know FAR too much about chickens if u ask me

rofl :eek:

I was brought up on a farm, went to agric college, and now have about 20 or so chickens.

Least I'm never short of eggs..... always with the eggs :rolleyes:

so tll me thins... does a female chicken have to be impregnated in order to lay an egg or does it lay an egg that just wont hatch if it hasnt been ridden by the big red rooster???

its just i was in a fight with a guy in a pub once cos he reakons that chickens dont lay em unless they had sex.... it turned nasty and lets just say he spent that night in the royal infirmary.. :blah: :cross eye :eek!!!!:

Nope, just in the same way women ovulate once a month (if your lucky ;)) chickens ovulate (lay eggs) once a day.

If a chicken lays an egg after havin' it off, it'll have a little yellow feathery thing in it...eventually...

Many thanks for the anatomical lecture on chickens, folks. Sadly I learned nothing new because my father was once a poultry farmer, so I was fairly well versed. When I was about ten years old , a middle aged neighbour kept chickens and taught me how to kill them when she wanted to eat one ( mostly I think because she did not like plucking them herself and I didn't mind doing it) But the question is: how could I happily do that at ten years old when I could not do it now?
Second question: We know why an egg is egg shaped ( we would not recognise them if they were cubes) but why is a chicken chicken-shaped?

Tony:rolleyes:

I opened up a chicken yesterday and, Lo! It was hollow, too! Could these be connected?

NO! It certainly isn't all right - it's chicken shaped and there's got to be a reason.

BTW I am trapped inside this hollow egg, I do not have a beak,
how do I get out?

Tony:eek!!!!:

RichardSimmons said:
so tll me thins... does a female chicken have to be impregnated in order to lay an egg or does it lay an egg that just wont hatch if it hasnt been ridden by the big red rooster???

its just i was in a fight with a guy in a pub once cos he reakons that chickens dont lay em unless they had sex.... it turned nasty and lets just say he spent that night in the royal infirmary.. :blah: :cross eye :eek!!!!:
Why, did he have to take you there?

p.younger said:
Why, did he have to take you there?

get your specs on and read my post again old timer.. i said he had to spend the night in the royal.. i had a lovely night in a cell :p

schnor said:
Nope, just in the same way women ovulate once a month (if your lucky ;)) chickens ovulate (lay eggs) once a day.

so i was right after all... i wonder if we could develope some sort of chicken tampon

have you ever chocked your chicken schnor?

No, I never Chock my chicken, but I choke my chicken regularly thanks ;)

Sadly, only when the G/F aint aboot :hmph:

oops i made a mistake let me fix it.. have you ever chalked your chicken?

mmmm chalk :p

Someone well and truly throttled miine on Saturday night...naughty girl...;)

RichardSimmons said:
get your specs on and read my post again old timer.. i said he had to spend the night in the royal.. i had a lovely night in a cell :p
Padded I presume.:blah:

Back