• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Eggstraordinary Easter

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Just somewhere for random eatser tales (or tails):

Posted on Sun, Apr. 04, 2004

Bunny-dumping wave acute

BY BOB SHAW

Pioneer Press

By Bob shaw • Pioneer Press

Who says there's no crime in the suburbs? Consider the recent outbreak of bunny-dumping.

A growing number of the adorable leporine fuzz balls has been dropped off at the Minnesota Valley Humane Society in Burnsville or abandoned by the front door. Or left outdoors, where they become snacks for neighborhood dogs and cats.

And the most dreaded time of year — Easter — is just around the corner. That means another wave of bunny-dumping is coming, as hundreds of families dazzled by the cuteness of bunnies acquire the critters without realizing what difficult house guests they can be.

"It's a big problem," said Kris Best, spokeswoman for the Humane Society.

There were 133 rabbits dropped off at the animal shelter in 2003, up a whopping 45 percent. And the dumping is raging this year, Best said.

Rabbits are now the third most common animal to be given up after dogs and cats, said Ingrid Harding, the education director of the Minnesota House Rabbit Society, a group that educates people about rabbits as pets.

To remedy the situation, the Humane Society declared February "Some Bunny Loves You" month, offering special deals to adopt rabbits, and classes for prospective owners.

But it hasn't stemmed the tide of cottontails.

Rabbit experts blame the bunny-dumping on a sad scenario played repeatedly.

Initially, and often at Easter, families assume that anything so cute must make a good pet. "They think it's a little cuddly animal; they think it will be a starter pet," Harding said.

But rabbits are not naturally cuddly. They have a self-image problem. Rabbits are prey animals — eaten by coyotes and other carnivores — so they survive by hiding from other mammals.

"They are used to being chased, so they are not as cuddly as a cat or dog," Best said. Rabbits often don't like cuddling, which they interpret as being captured.

Self-confident cats and dogs will investigate unknown noises, while rabbits will avoid them.

Bunnies start out cute, but at about 4 months they become obnoxious teenagers. "They are lunging, spraying (urine) and chewing on things," Harding said. They must be spayed or neutered.

Rabbits require meals of fresh vegetables and hay. They must have their nails clipped monthly and coats brushed.

And they can live a long time, often 10 years — unlike equally cute but short-lived low-maintenance pets, such as gerbils or guinea pigs.

When families become sick of their flop-eared guests, they drop them off at animal shelters. Or they put them outside, under the Disney-esque impression they will spend their days cavorting with the wild rabbits.

In fact, domestic rabbits are a different breed, defenseless against predators. If placed outdoors, they are either eaten or starve to death.

Harding hopes to prevent that. Her group, the House Rabbit Society, teaches people about rabbits and tries to find new homes for the orphans.

It even operates a kind of hot line, for those on the teetering on the edge of bunny-dumping.

"Maybe we can counsel people about keeping the rabbits," Harding said.

Harding and Best said that with proper care, rabbits can become affectionate and even polite house guests, but owners need to know what they are doing.

Neither of them was sure about the reasons for the increase in rabbit abandonment. One reason, Harding said, might be that families realize that shelters will take them in, so fewer are dumping them outdoors.

But regardless, it's a problem for rabbit-lovers.

"So far, we have been able to just stay ahead of the curve," Best said.

As a last resort, they take them in themselves. "I have a foster rabbit myself," Harding said.

A guide to bunnies

http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/news/local/8343705.htm

The Easter Bunny Must Die!

http://www.post-gazette.com/breaking/20040407bunnyp4.asp
Easter Bunny whipped at church show; some families upset

Wednesday, April 07, 2004

Associated Press

A church trying to teach about the crucifixion of Jesus performed an Easter show with actors whipping the Easter bunny and breaking eggs, upsetting several parents and young children.

People who attended Saturday’s performance at Glassport’s memorial stadium quoted performers as saying, “There is no Easter bunny,” and described the show as being a demonstration of how Jesus was crucified.

Melissa Salzmann, who took her 4-year-old son J.T., said the program was inappropriate for young children. “He was crying and asking me why the bunny was being whipped,” Salzmann said.

Patty Bickerton, the youth minister at Glassport Assembly of God, said the performance wasn’t meant to be offensive. Bickerton portrayed the Easter rabbit and said she tried to act with a tone of irreverence.

“The program was for all ages, not just the kids. We wanted to convey that Easter is not just about the Easter Bunny, it is about Jesus Christ,” Bickerton said.

Performers broke eggs meant for an Easter egg hunt and also portrayed a drunken man and a self-mutilating woman, said Jennifer Norelli-Burke, another parent who saw the show in Glassport, southeast of Pittsburgh.

“It was very disturbing,” Norelli-Burke said. “I could not believe what I saw. It wasn’t anything I was expecting.”

Traditionally, I think it should be the Hare, but I suppose bunnies are more cuddly.

Easter Bunny whipped at church show

http://www.post-gazette.com/breaking/20040407bunnyp4.asp

Easter Bunny whipped at church show; some families upset

Wednesday, April 07, 2004

Associated Press

A church trying to teach about the crucifixion of Jesus performed an Easter show with actors whipping the Easter bunny and breaking eggs, upsetting several parents and young children.

People who attended Saturday’s performance at Glassport’s memorial stadium quoted performers as saying, “There is no Easter bunny,” and described the show as being a demonstration of how Jesus was crucified.

Melissa Salzmann, who took her 4-year-old son J.T., said the program was inappropriate for young children. “He was crying and asking me why the bunny was being whipped,” Salzmann said.

Patty Bickerton, the youth minister at Glassport Assembly of God, said the performance wasn’t meant to be offensive. Bickerton portrayed the Easter rabbit and said she tried to act with a tone of irreverence.

“The program was for all ages, not just the kids. We wanted to convey that Easter is not just about the Easter Bunny, it is about Jesus Christ,” Bickerton said.

Performers broke eggs meant for an Easter egg hunt and also portrayed a drunken man and a self-mutilating woman, said Jennifer Norelli-Burke, another parent who saw the show in Glassport, southeast of Pittsburgh.

“It was very disturbing,” Norelli-Burke said. “I could not believe what I saw. It wasn’t anything I was expecting.”

Time To Get Out Of The Jacuzzi! Let's Play Whip The Bunny!

Sounds like those "Bible Thumpers" have been unduly influenced by 'Playboy' magazine!

:blah:

Looks like Christianity's, more unsavoury, pagan roots are showing, though!

:eek!!!!:

Well, I think someone should point out to her that it's not just about Jesus Christ either... :rolleyes:

Sheesh, definitly not something to show children. Wonder what they got lined up for christmas. Santa being put in front of a firing squad?

And of course the easter bunny got more right to be there than jesus. It is an old fertility festival, older than Jesus. The reason why Jesus came to the temple in the first place was because of the easter celebrations.

Wonder what they got lined up for christmas. Santa being put in front of a firing squad?
:laughing:
Bravo, exactly what I was going to say!

.......... hmmmm, not a bad idea...........

HAHAHAHAHAHH!!!!

this is _great_!!!

even better than those dick heads who nail themselves to a cross every easter.

I wonder what these so-called Christians think that their saviour Jesus Christ would say about innocent children being upset by violent demonstrations committed in his name? IIRC Jesus regarded children, their hopes and wonderment to be the most blessed on Earth.

Just another psychopath-pretending-to-be-holy minister getting off on fear and power!

Is it any wonder he refuses to come back yet? Things done in his name must make him despair. In the words of The The (Armageddon Days) ...

"If Jesus came back, he'd be gunned down by the CIA."

I think the easter bunny is lucky to get off so lightly as to just receive a whipping, all things considered : afterall they positively love that Jesus guy and they are forever nailing him to a plank of wood til he dies. ;)

I reminds me of the possibly apocryphal story of the minister who goes into a primary school during the 'festive season' and does a talk on the 'real meaning of christmas' and tells all the kids there's no father christmas ......

Still, upsetting little kids isn't a crime just yet, although I expect it to be shortly.

Yeah, I would think a priest telling little children that santa isn't real happens a lot. But there is a difference between that, and then letting them see santa, who they think is real, get shot or beaten up.

I grew up with Pentacostal Holiness people. I remember at a young age one of them telling me Santa wasn't real. Well Santa left me a letter that year and I showed it to them as proof of Santa. They stopped saying Santa wasn't real. I don't think the letter had anything to do with that though. I think their mom told them off for spoiling my fun. Because even though they didn't celebrate Christmas that way, she didn't think that other children's beliefs should be imposed upon.

Wonder what they got lined up for christmas. Santa being put in front of a firing squad?

Naw, they're going to crucify him on the outside of a Japanese department store like in the U/L :D

Local egg hunt yields guns

FLINT

THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION

Sunday, April 11, 2004

JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

FLINT -- A group of children hunting for Easter eggs Saturday during a church event found two loaded handguns in an elementary school park.

Flint police said officers were called to the scene and also recovered a BB gun and a broken toy gun on the property of Gundry Elementary School, 6031 Dupont St. No one was injured, Sgt. Michael Coote said.

The pastor of Ruth Street Baptist Church told Channel 12 (WJRT) that one of the handguns had a bullet in the chamber, and the other handgun's clip had bullets in it.

"It's terrible that something like this has happened," Pastor Namon Marshall told the station.

A news release stated that Flint police were told one of the guns fired when it was dropped.

Coote said he did not know how long the guns had been in the park.

Police opened an investigation after confiscating the weapons.

http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-20/1081691457200810.xml

Multi-coloured chicks for Easter

A farm in the northern US state of Alaska has given Easter egg decoration a whole new meaning.

Triple D Farm and Hatchery, in Palmer, injects the eggs with dye to produce multi-coloured baby chicks.

Children visiting the farm in the run-up to Easter were met with more than 400 orange, red, green, purple, pink and blue chickens and ducks.

Farm owners insist the non-toxic dye is harmless and temporary, disappearing as the animals grow their new feathers.

"It's something we've done at Easter time for the last few years," Phyllis Burney, fiancee of owner Anthony Schmidt, told BBC News Online.

"It's mainly for the children. They are quite in awe when they come to the farm and see the multi-coloured chicks.

'Blue mother'

"One little boy came with his kindergarten last week and when he was asked how the chick became blue, said it was because it had a blue mother," said Ms Burney.

The dye, which the farm insists does not contain chemicals, is injected into ordinary chicken eggs a few weeks before Easter.

The baby chicks are not hurt, but provide a psychedelic spectacle when they hatch.

"The dye doesn't last much more than a couple of weeks, once the chicks' new feathers come through," said Ms Burney.

The farm, near the capital, Anchorage, annually colours around 200 baby chickens and 200 baby ducks.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/world/americas/3615191.stm

Published: 2004/04/09 21:12:27 GMT

© BBC MMIV

Easter rocket war hits Greek isle

Every Easter Sunday on the small Greek island of Chios a fireworks war breaks out between two rival parishes.
In a bizarre but long-cherished local tradition, two Orthodox churches in the town of Vrodandos fire rockets at each other's churches - while mass is held.

The objective is to hit the other church's bell, but many rockets go astray, causing locals to rush frantically for cover.

And some say they are sick of having to repair their damaged homes.

Dangerous work

So-called "gangs" from the two rival parishes - Saint Mark and Panagia Erithiani - spend months preparing more than 25,000 rockets, Reuters news agency reported.

We live as hostages to this tradition... we have to be on standby in case a fire breaks out, because if you are not careful you can even lose your house
Chios local

About 150 people are involved in their production, using bronze tools to prevent sparks igniting the volatile gunpowder mixture.
"A good rocket has to fly fast, go far and stay lit until the end," explains rocket maker Vassilis Barkoulis.

"You have to be careful in the details and process of its construction for a rocket to be good. If you do that carefully, you can have yourself a good rocket."

The work is carried out in derelict buildings with the doors left open - should an extremely speedy exit be required following an explosion.

There is also the danger the police may pay an unwelcome visit - technically making the rockets is illegal, although police largely turn a blind eye to the proceedings.

Mysterious origins

Several days before the event, residents carefully board up both churches' windows and doors and wrap wire sheeting around the buildings to protect worshippers.

On Easter Sunday evening, as mass is said in both churches, the rival parish "gangs" set to work, lighting fireworks and aiming them haphazardly at each other's church bells.
Amid the melee, priests in both churches attempt to continue with mass, although the deafening sounds of fireworks and cheers as the rockets hit their targets often drown out the proceedings entirely.

Locals are not sure of the tradition's origins, although it is possibly linked to stories of the island's sailors, who used to battle pirates with cannons installed on their ships and began a custom of firing them at Easter.

In the late 19th Century, when Ottoman occupiers confiscated the cannons over fears they would be used in an uprising, locals resorted to firing rockets instead.

Residents also admit it is not the most safety conscious of ceremonies, with several fires in recent years sparked by rockets and even a few deaths.

"We live as hostages to this tradition," one local lamented.

"We can't breathe when it takes place, we have to be on standby in case a fire breaks out, because if you are not careful you can even lose your house."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/world/europe/3619425.stm

Published: 2004/04/12 12:07:41 GMT

© BBC MMIV

Not sure if this is easter or Passion-related:

Last modified Saturday, April 10, 2004 11:18 PM PDT

Parking lot 'Jesus' causes stir in Albany

ALBANY -- Someone dressed as Jesus Christ made a brief appearance Saturday in the parking lot of an Albany shopping center.

According to a police dispatch report, Albany officers received a call at about

3:25 p.m. from someone complaining about a man dressed as Jesus, covered with fake blood, being scourged by another man with a rope in a 14th Avenue parking lot near Safeway and G.I. Joes.

The caller said his children were upset by the display and that shopping plaza employees were trying to get "Jesus" to leave. The dressed-up man kept walking, the caller said.

The dispatch report stated that police checked the area and did not locate anyone matching the description, nor did they receive any other calls.

However, one officer wrote, "I am confident that (Jesus) will be back some day soon."

http://www.gtconnect.com/articles/2004/04/11/news/community/local03.txt

With the start of Holy Week 2005, time for this thread to emerge fom its slumber. :D

Easter Bunny Removed From Mall In Handcuffs

POSTED: 6:44 pm CST March 20, 2005
UPDATED: 5:38 pm CST March 21, 2005

COUNCIL BLUFFS, Iowa -- Council Bluffs police had to remove the Easter bunny from the Mall of the Bluffs Saturday afternoon.

Michael DeSantiago Sr. was wearing the bunny suit to pose for pictures with children in the mall. Police said he got upset when someone threw water on his costume.

DeSantiago left to take the bunny suit off and when he returned, an employee told him his shift wasn’t over. That employee told police DeSantiago then threatened her. Witnesses told police DeSantiago told that employee and another man that if they didn’t get out of his way, he would kill them.

DeSantiago was arrested on two charges of harassment.

Copyright 2005 by TheOmahaChannel.com. All rights reserved.

http://www.theomahachannel.com/news/430 ... &qs=1;bp=t

Easter Bunny Gets Pummeled by Boy at Mall

BAY CITY, Mich. (AP) - The Easter Bunny is hopping mad. Bryan Johnson, who portrays the furry character at the Bay City Mall, says he was pummeled in an unprovoked attack on the job. Police say the attacker was a 12-year-old boy who sat on Johnson's lap the day before the March 18 incident.

Johnson, 18, suffered a bloody nose. He kept his cool during the attack, deeming it inappropriate for the Easter Bunny to fight back. But he's not willing to forgive and forget.

``They (the sheriff's deputies) told me it was up to me, and I feel that the boy should be prosecuted,'' Johnson told The Bay City Times.

Johnson told Bay County Sheriff's deputies that the boy hit him in the face at least six times before running away.

Bay County Sheriff John E. Miller said the youth has been in trouble in the past. The case will be forwarded to the Bay County prosecutor's office next week for action, he said.

Johnson, meanwhile, is back on the job at the mall, where he had been working as the Easter Bunny for about a week before the attack.

``I just like getting the kids to laugh and have fun,'' he said. His job is to get his picture taken with children and make them laugh. That can be difficult because he is not allowed to speak while in costume.

Johnson said his 12-year-old attacker seemed perfectly happy the day before the incident. ``Yeah, he came up and said, 'Hi,' and was sitting on my lap and talking,'' Johnson said. ``He seemed OK.''

But when he saw Johnson the next day, the boy didn't want to talk.

``He just started hitting,'' Johnson said.

Information from: The Bay City Times, http://www.bc-times.com/

Information from: The Bay City Times, http://www.bc-times.com

03/25/05 17:12

© Copyright The Associated Press.

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/story. ... 113458.htm

What a weird (commercial) holiday crossover, having kids sit on the Easter Bunny's lap! Are they supposed to tell him what kind of candy they want? And isn't 12 a little old for that sort of thing? I think the little sod was looking for trouble.

And on that note...

Don't bear your cross -- eat it

By AP

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- A symbol of Christianity is being worshipped in a new way -- in the mouths of the faithful. A milk chocolate cross is being sold this Easter by Russell Stover Candies in about 5,000 stores nationwide and appears to be the first by a major American company.

The cross is about 15 centimetres high, adorned with a floral bouquet and filled with caramel made of goat's milk.

MOLDED JESUS NIXED

Russell Stover President Tom Ward said they considered making other traditional images out of chocolate but eventually opted not to.

"A molded Jesus, for example, would not be a good call, and a cross with Jesus on it wouldn't be a good idea either," Ward said.

But even chomping on a plain chocolate cross is offensive to Joseph McAleer, a spokesman for the Roman Catholic diocese in Bridgeport, Conn.

"The cross should be venerated, not eaten, nor tossed casually in an Easter basket beside the jelly beans and marshmallow Peeps," he said. "It's insulting."

Source

Filipinos mark Good Friday with nails, blood

Penitents retrace Jesus' last steps, relive his crucifixion

Updated: 7:51 a.m. ET March 25, 2005

CUTUD, Philippines - Filipinos marked Good Friday by retracing Jesus Christ’s last steps and reliving his crucifixion with nails, whips and blood.

The gory rituals in several parts of the heavily Roman Catholic country are not sanctioned by the Church as part of Easter but have become a magnet for the curious and devout during a week of prayer, shopping, visiting and little work.

With millions on the move and churches packed, security forces were on full alert after Muslim rebels vowed to avenge the killing of 22 comrades during a recent jail siege.

Abu Sayyaf, linked to al-Qaida and regional militants from Jemaah Islamiah, is a small but deadly group that claimed three bombings in mid-February and a blast on a ferry in early 2004.

The threat did nothing to deter thousands of Filipinos and foreigners from flocking to the farming village of Cutud, 90 minutes north of Manila, to see dozens of black-hooded penitents trudging along a road whipping their own backs raw.

Nailed to crosses

On a dusty hill, with the crowd pressing round, 11 men had themselves nailed to crosses in imitation of Christ’s suffering. The nails hammered into their hands and feet were as thick as pencils.

“I feel lighter after I have been nailed to the cross. But my cross was really heavy,” said Ruben Enage, who started 19 years ago after his mother was cured of tuberculosis.

“It takes a lot of courage to get up there,” said Matthew James, an American in the Philippines on business. “A lot of faith there.”

In the nearby town of San Simon, about 100 men -- old and young -- whipped their backs with bundles of sticks as relatives helped keep the blood flowing with razor blades and water.

“This is just a little pain compared to my sins,” said Ruben Arriola, a house painter.

Elsewhere, Filipinos marked Good Friday more quietly with prayers and pilgrimages.

Most local television and radio stations were off the air, while others broadcast religious shows. Major newspapers did not publish on Thursday or Friday.

-----------------------
Copyright 2005 Reuters Limited.

Source

There weren't that many weird Easter stories but this just about makes up for it:

Latest News - Posted 7:40 P.m.

Easter Bunny mall brawl shocks bystanders

By Grant Boxleitner

[email protected]
Originally posted on April 17, 2006

Some young children who saw the Easter Bunny this weekend at Edison Mall no longer see him as the lovable cuddly rabbit that delivers eggs and candy.

This 6-foot-2-inch, 280-pound bunny — also known as Fort Myers resident Arthur J. McClure, 22 — is facing battery charges after he allegedly punched a woman in the back of the neck and head during a fight near a photography set.

In boxing circles, that’s considered a rabbit punch.

McClure denied he punched the woman when he was contacted by a reporter from news-press.com Monday. He said he was trying to split up two women who were fighting, including his wife, exhibit manager Crystal Frechette. There was no way, McClure said, to satisfy the long line of people who wanted their children’s picture taken as the exhibit was preparing close. McClure said he was hot and couldn’t stand being in the bunny costume any longer.

“My shirt was soaked with sweat,” McClure said. “I almost threw up.”

The melee shocked customers, mall employees and the company who hired McClure and Frechette. Mall management issued an apology to parents and children.

Golden, Colo.-based Noerr Programs Corp., which contracted with the mall to run the Easter bunny photo set, fired McClure and Frechette on Monday.

“(The terminations) were a result of the incident that was embarrassing and uncomfortable for the mall patrons,” Noerr spokesman Charlie Russell said.

The incident began shortly before 8 p.m. Saturday when victim Erin Johansson of Cape Coral was waiting in line with her family and several others at a public Easter Bunny photo set near entrance G.

When the exhibit closed about 10 minutes early, some of the customers in line, including Johansson, got upset and questioned Frechette, 25, police said. The two women got into an argument before Frechette allegedly punched Johansson in the right side of her face, according to police reports. Before the punch, Johansson said she told Frechette it wasn’t 8 p.m. yet, but she and McClure started walking away with people still in line.

“At that point she sucker punched me in the jaw,” Johansson said. “She had the worst attitude, and I don’t think she wanted to be confronted.”

After the punch, Frechette pulled Johansson’s hair, and they both fell to the ground, according to arrest reports. That’s when McClure, who was still in the Easter Bunny costume, came to his wife’s aid. McClure took off the head part of the costume and then punched Johansson in the back of the head, police said.

Dozens of people watched the brawl, including about 15 children who were still in line, witnesses said. Johansson said many children had the look of “shock” on their faces. She said she doesn’t know how to explain what happened with the Easter Bunny to her 3-year-old niece.

Johansson was holding an ice pack on her face when officers arrived, police reports show. She said she underwent a CAT scan at Lee Memorial Hospital, which showed no internal injuries.

“It was horrible,” said Robert Johansson, whose son Victor, 8, also witnessed the fight. “They were trying to shield the kids from it. Now my son thinks the Easter Bunny is bad and went to jail.”

But McClure and Frechette tell a different story. They said the customers began yelling at them when they started to close down, then followed them as they walked toward a nearby mall office.

Frechette accused Johansson of poking her in the chest and said she was in front of a group of angry people. Frechette, who acknowledged she punched Johansson, said she got scared when customers started “calling me names and swearing at me.”

By the time the fight began, McClure said he had worn the bunny costume for nine hours, sweat through his shirt and nearly passed out.

“I just tried to break it up,” McClure said. “That’s when two guys grabbed me. I wish people were more understanding.”

McClure and Frechette — both of 3840 Central Ave., No. 208 — were charged with misdemeanor battery and disturbing the peace, police said. McClure’s occupation listed on the arrest report reads “Easter Bunny,” but the two said they used to work at Silver Spoon/The American Cafe in the mall.

Frechette said officers didn’t listen to their side of the story, saying she suffered a bruise on the back of her leg during the scuffle and were threatened by the group. They plan to retain a lawyer.

The couple were released from jail Sunday and have a May 2 county court hearing

www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl ... 17009/1075

A cracking good breakfast as Waitrose stocks ostrich eggs for Easter
Home Staff

Ostrich eggs — each big enough to make an omelette for 15 people — are to appear in supermarkets in time for Easter. But you will have to get up early to make breakfast if you want to eat them in their shell as they need boiling for up to an hour and a half.

Waitrose will stock the eggs, which are now in season, in 31 branches from next week, after sales increased by 573 per cent between 2008 and 2009. Each mild-flavoured egg, costing £18.99, is equivalent to 24 hen eggs. They are laid by South African black ostriches on a farm in Lincolnshire.

Demand for pheasant, quail, duck and goose eggs has also increased, with sales of goose eggs increasing by 101 per cent, Waitrose said. The retailer will sell ostrich eggs in an extra 11 stores this year and goose eggs in an additional 21 branches.

High-profile restaurants includiing Scott's, Maze and Marcus Wareing at The Berkeley have all offered unusual eggs on their menus.

Waitrose's egg buyer, Frances Westerman, said: “Britons have proved they are game enough to try something other than the humble hen egg. Customers have been seeking out something a bit different and the ostrich egg is a real trump card when it comes to cooking over the long weekend.

“What better way to surprise guests this Easter Sunday than boiling one egg for all your guests’ breakfasts?”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_a ... 067815.ece

16 April 2014 Last updated at 14:04

Children's Easter eggs broken in Bristol Airport search

Children were left "devastated" after staff at Bristol Airport destroyed their Easter eggs in a security check.
The youngsters were returning home to Italy after visiting their grandfather Tom Marsland in Cornwall when a security officer searched the bags of the children.
Bristol Airport has apologised and said a full internal investigation is due to take place.
They said replacement Easter eggs are also due to be sent to the children.

Mr Marsland's daughter, Natalie Marsland-Coniglione, had returned to Coverack in Cornwall with her daughters Maya, aged five, and Ocean, aged two, for a visit.
After an Easter egg hunt with their grandfather the children collected six Easter eggs which they planned to take home.

But during a search the eggs were pierced by the fingers and thumbs of a security officer.
Mr Marsland said the search was "completely over the top" and his granddaughters had been left feeling "picked on" and "really upset".
"They were pretty stunned and Maya was devastated the man had broken up her Easter eggs," he said.
He said his family regularly visit so only carry hand luggage and the eggs were in the children's rucksacks.

Jacqui Mills, from Bristol Airport, said: "Our teams are highly trained and they should not deal with children or any passenger in an aggressive way.
"This is the first time I've heard of eggs being broken during a search.
"We do apologise. We will send Easter eggs for the children."
Mr Marsland said it was a "wonderful response".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-27050121

Back