• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Egyptian Ruins In The Grand Canyon

A

Anonymous

I heard about this story a while back and a quick search on Google came up with quite a few links.

The gist of the story is that in 1909, a Professor S.A. Jordan of the Smithsonian found rock-cut vaults in the Grand Canyon containing Egyptian artefacts. There was a front page story in the Phoenix Gazette of 5 April 1909. However, the Smithsonian denies any knowledge or records of the discovery or its discoverers.

This link seems the most sensible and reproduces the Phoenix Gazette article.
Rense also mentions the story - I take it he's not held in high regard, and it does read a bit like the rantings of a loony, but here you go.
I don't what you lot think of Jack Andrews, but he claims to have found the caves. I have my doubts.
Another link has pics of an expedition in the Canyon, and the article again.

There's lots more, but I just wondered what your thoughts were.

There was an article on these in FT and it was quite interesting, it was only a few months ago. ill have a look threw them and let you know, which issue it was. but rynner is the man to see he wrote in and his letter published which was about the article, i think he was commenting on the silly place names or something.

Thanks, Mr C! If the FT's not too old, I might have it too. Maybe that's what reminded me of the story.

Sorry but i cant find it, because my copy's of FT, sit by the side of the toilet till they get binned by the missus lol.

But from what i remember it was only a single page article nearer the back, and only within the last 6 months or so. i also think they came to the conclusion the claims were made up, thats also what i think after reading through the above links. it wouldnt be too hard to have something very big like tombs hidden away in the grand canyon, but history doesnt put any ancient civilisation near the canyon at the time they were claimed to have been built, it could of been aliens or something, but yet again its highly unlikey, which is a shame. because i love this kind of thing.

mrchopper said:
Sorry but i cant find it, because my copy's of FT, sit by the side of the toilet till they get binned by the missus lol.
Ah, now we know why you've split up. ;)

I was sure I'd posted something about this before (in parallel with my FT letter), but I just tried Search and found....

...this thread! LOL!

I'll look again.

(In the meantime, my message was that there are clusters of names relating to all sorts of mythologies in the GC, which I assume was due to the imaginative nature of the early map-makers.)

PS: Found it. The letter was in FT 156 (Mar 02) under the heading "Fun with Names"

Well, I did search for other posts on the subject before starting this thread...

The article is on page 46 of FT 154 (Jan 02). I'll re-read it and type out a summary.

It sounds like an interesting mystery but in reality it dosent make much sense. If I remember rightly Mr Jordan claims he found Egyptian/native indian artifacts in a tomb in the GC. I think it most likley that these arftifacts mearly held a resemblance to Egyptian styles. If the Egyptians had been to the Grand Canyon to build tombs, where are their cities, pyramids etc? They certainly didnt travel 5000(?) miles just to die and get buried. I guess if they were real there is a chance the artifacts could have ended up there by Phoenicians trading across the Atlantic.

It seems a mixed bag of relics. The statues and artefacts are described as Oriental:
[the] image, of the people's god, sitting cross-legged, with lotus flower or lily in each hand. The cast of the face is oriental [and] almost resembles Buddha. [...] it is possible that this worship most resembles the ancient people of Tibet.
[...] The pottery work includes enameled ware and glazed vessels. Another passageway leads to granaries such as are found in the oriental temples.
[...] Strewn promiscuously over the floor everywhere are what people call 'cats eyes,' a yellow stone of no great value. Each one is engraved with the head of the Malay type
But the article also mentions hieroglyphs, although I suppose the term could be used loosely to describe pictographic writing.

And finally, the mummies don't strike me as typically Egyptian:
The tomb or crypt in which the mummies were found is one of the largest of the chambers, the walls slanting back at an angle of about 35 degrees. On these are tiers of mummies, each one occupying a separate hewn shelf. At the bead of each is a small bench, on which is found copper cups and pieces of broken swords. Some of the mummies are covered with clay, and all are wrapped in a bark fabric.
It sounds more like those open-air catacombs that can be found in Asia - can't remember where exactly now, but I'll look it up.

Wasn't there a long thread in this forum recently on the subject?

I checked before posting and nothing came up on the search engine. But since rynner also thought there was another thread on the subject, you might be right. Either the words 'grand canyon' were not mentionned in that thread, or it disappeared. Maybe when the servers were switched?

People were argueing on the logistics of bringing everything from Egypt and the thread was long. I actually looked for it but it had vanished. You are probably right about why it has gone. Either that or a moderator is a shapeshifting 12 foot lizard and the thread exposed them in some way. Think I will go with the new servers explanation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sally said:
I heard about this story a while back and a quick search on Google came up with quite a few links.

The gist of the story is that in 1909, a Professor S.A. Jordan of the Smithsonian found rock-cut vaults in the Grand Canyon containing Egyptian artefacts. There was a front page story in the Phoenix Gazette of 5 April 1909. However, the Smithsonian denies any knowledge or records of the discovery or its discoverers.

This link seems the most sensible and reproduces the Phoenix Gazette article.
Rense also mentions the story - I take it he's not held in high regard, and it does read a bit like the rantings of a loony, but here you go.
I don't what you lot think of Jack Andrews, but he claims to have found the caves. I have my doubts.
Another link has pics of an expedition in the Canyon, and the article again.

There's lots more, but I just wondered what your thoughts were.

I've heard of this too, but everything I've read about the caves seems to have been taken from the same source, being the newspaper report.

You have to take any reports from American newspapers during that time with a grain of salt. They were known to print exaggerations and, in some cases, downright lies.

No credible evidence of the caves have been found since then, smells like a hoax or a newspaper man's idea of a joke.

Re: Re: Egyptian ruins in the Grand Canyon

sobriquet said:
You have to take any reports from American newspapers during that time with a grain of salt. They were known to print exaggerations and, in some cases, downright lies.
Yes, I read today (was it on this MB?) about an American paper that claimed discoveries of life on the Moon by Sir John Herschel (son of the the famous William, who discovered Uranus)....

But Sir John was conveniently out-of-touch in the southern hemisphere at the time, so could not refute the stories.

Yeah, that's really the best source of info on the Grand Canyon cave. The thing is, though, he acts like he knows where it is, but he's just not telling, when in reality I'm fairly certain he has no more idea than any of us. I'd really like to do a survey of the canyon walls someday, though. I imagine it would be possible to pinpoint the general area of the cave (as this guy has done) and then simply go through and photograph every portion of the canyon walls up and down a certain length of the river.

The thing, I know this should be fake, but there are certain details of it that haunt me. For one thing, there was actually a previous article printed in advance that mentioned the explorer GE Kincaid coming down the Colorado. Now why would they have gone to such lengths to make their hoax seem credible? Also, an early Anthropologist charted a similar course down the river prior to Kincaid and also reported seeing an odd door cut into the rock face, along with stairs. Finally, I've talked to Native Americans in Oklahoma who had stories of similar types of places, which I found a bit jarring.

you might have heard of this type of story before,
but i think you will find this link rather interesting.

geocities.com/TheTropics/Lag ... anyon.html
Link is dead. The MIA webpage can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/2005040...cities.com/TheTropics/Lagoon/1345/Canyon.html

excerpt from Archeological Coverups by David Hatcher Childress

Perhaps the most amazing suppression of all is the excavation of an Egyptian tomb by the Smithsonian itself in Arizona. A lengthy front page story of the PHOENIX GAZETTE on 5 April 1909 (follows this article), gave a highly detailed report of the discovery and excavation of a rock-cut vault by an expedition led by a Professor S.A. Jordan of the Smithsonian. The Smithsonian, however, claims to have absolutely no knowledge of the discovery or its discoverers. ...

Is the idea that ancient Egyptians came to the Arizona area in the ancient past so objectionable and preposterous that it must be covered up? Perhaps the Smithsonian Institution is more interested in maintaining the status quo than rocking the boat with astonishing new discoveries that overturn previously accepted academic teachings. ...

Interesting. Wonder if the Mormons are aware of it? They'd have a field day with it if true.

horik said:
Interesting. Wonder if the Mormons are aware of it? They'd have a field day with it if true.

Theyll just say their usual "God put them there", so no explanation is needed.

what I mean is, the Mormons believe that a group of Hebrews emigrated to the Americas around 600BC (if memory serves correctly) who used a form of "Reformed Egyptian" writing - all this despite no supposed archaeological evidence. This would give their a claims a bit of a boost - albeit a rather tenuous one.

okay horik thank for that,
but why is my first post on page 2 of a thread with same name?.

zed9 said:
okay horik thank for that,
but why is my first post on page 2 of a thread with same name?.

Mods must have moved it to an existing thread mate.

Zed9, you started a new thread, and one of the mods noticed there was already a thread on Egyptian ruins in the Grand Canyon (hands up everyone else who glances at it and reads "Egyptians ruin Grand Canyon") and thus...mergey mergey!

zed9 said:
i thought i was the first.

Nope sorry - its always worth doing a search first: the terms grand and canyon brought it up.

But if you have and still can't find anything then feel free to post it and if someone spots its proper home we can sort it out.

"Hill said the discoverer is Dr. F. Bruce Russell, retired Cincincatti physician, who stumbled on the first of several tunnels in 1931, soon after coming West and deciding to try mining for his health. Not until this year, however, did Dr. Russell go into the situation thoroughly, Hill told the luncheon. With Dr. Daniel S. Bovee, of Los Angeles - who with his father helped open up New Mexico's cliff dwellings - Dr. Russell has found mummified remains, together with implements of the civilization, which Dr. Bovee had tentatively placed at about 80,000 years old."

To date I've never been able to verify the existence of a Dr. F. Bruce Russell of Cincinnati. (Other sources have identified him as a psychiatrist and also as a faculty member of the University of Cincinnati.) His obituary doesn't seem to have appeared in the local newspapers, which are usually really excellent about reporting the deaths of former residents out-of-town, especially of professional people.

I confess that I originally got hooked by the Grand Canyon story.

Butt that was before I eventually came to realize that the totality of the evidence in the story's favor was one or two 1909 newspaper articles, written at a time when making such yarns up out of whole cloth was the ACCEPTED way of filling newspaper blank space.

In addition, Professor S. A. Jordan seems to have most likely never existed. Yes, I've read the claims that the Smithsonian "disappeared" him from history, but that's more difficult than it sounds, ESPECIALLY in pre-compurter days. Remember that the ancient Egyptians, in much simpler times, failed miserably in their attempts to erase all memory of Pharaoh Akhnaton.

And Professor Jordan's partner claimed that he had been "the first White child born in idaho." HE WAS NOT, since that had been a GIRL. So if this fellow couldn't be trusted on a matter as simple as this, how could ANYTHING he said be trusted? And that's assuming that he ever existed in the first place.

Just finished reading The Anomaly by Michael Rutger.
A thoroughly enjoyable Fortean-themed thriller, based around a modern expedition to prove the truth behind the G E Kincaid claimed archaeological discoveries in the Grand Canyon.
The novel suggests that Kincaid may have sexed-up his findings somewhat but also mentions the old chestnut of The Smithsonian suppressing anomalous evidence.
Would love to get to the bottom of this one!

Back