• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Electrolyte Liquid Powered Cars

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Last edited:
That looks very interesting.

I wouldn't be surprised if (like a lot of technologies of the past that have threatened the power of big corporations) as soon as the prototypes are developed to a stage where they can be manufactured, a big company will come along and buy it out (e.g. Ford or Shell etc.) and just shelve it.

That looks very interesting.

I wouldn't be surprised if (like a lot of technologies of the past that have threatened the power of big corporations) as soon as the prototypes are developed to a stage where they can be manufactured, a big company will come along and buy it out (e.g. Ford or Shell etc.) and just shelve it.
That what I'm expecting to happen as well. There's too many oil rich nations that won't want this, too many wars making people rich, contracts to rebuild countries, all dependant on oil.

That what I'm expecting to happen as well. There's too many oil rich nations that won't want this, too many wars making people rich, contracts to rebuild countries, all dependant on oil.
It's not just oil now - it'd seriously upset the electric car industry as well - batteries, energy providers etc.

The only technology I know for certain was suppressed by the big car companies was the steam car, much less polluting, though not zero carbon. Can be run off alcohol, so a renewable energy source.

Edit: Was thinking to make all the alcohol would take up too much land needed for other things, but you can make alcohol from seaweed - could envisage vast seaweed farms for the purpose of transportation alcohol.

Last edited:
I'm not sure whether it's apocryphal, but I remember the 'everlasting light bulb' that got developed and then the patents were bought out by a big manufacturer (Phillips?) and shelved, as otherwise their business would tank once everybody had bought their everlasting bulbs.

I'm not sure whether it's apocryphal, but I remember the 'everlasting light bulb' that got developed and then the patents were bought out by a big manufacturer (Phillips?) and shelved, as otherwise their business would tank once everybody had bought their everlasting bulbs.
A bit like the fictional Willy Wonka's everlasting gob stopper I suppose. Bad for business.

electrolytes-its-what-plants-crave.jpg

Well, if it's like the 'energy saver' bulbs I've used in my house, they cost 10 times as much as a conventional bulb and last twice as long.
If you watch that video, you'll see that there is something special about those - Dubai's ruler had them specially commissioned by Philips so they'd last for a super-long time (15 years, IIRC) and also the light colour is dead white (rather than the slightly yellowy colour we get here in the rest of the world). I would really like one of those lamps.

I remember when the 'energy saver' lightbulbs first came out and I got some to put in at home - it was like walking around with a dimmer switch set at half-mast all the time. Useless. Maybe that's how they saved energy - only let you have half as much light.

I remember when the 'energy saver' lightbulbs first came out and I got some to put in at home - it was like walking around with a dimmer switch set at half-mast all the time. Useless. Maybe that's how they saved energy - only let you have half as much light.
I still have one of those in a drawer, unused for years. The new LED bulbs that are now available are so much better.

I think that a trick is possibly being missed though with the Quant 48Volt.
Surely the technology could be scaled up just a little bit to be used as a viable power source for homes.

Last edited:
The newer ones have have improved, but I still have a stash of "old fashioned " 100 watt bulbs - they are massively brighter than anything else.
I tend to live in the dark most of the time with no, or subdued lighting (I loathe bright light), but when I do need a light on to, say find something dropped on the floor I want it to be bright and damn the amount of electricty supposedly used.
I see this weird logic a lot in my job (and hobby) of IT - folk spending over £1000 on a video card to game with and then buying a lower power version of a processor because it will save them £1 a year on power consumption. Also, to create longer battery life crippling the performance on high end gaming or CAD laptops - where the only point of the battery is to let you move between power sockets.

If you watch that video, you'll see that there is something special about those - Dubai's ruler had them specially commissioned by Philips so they'd last for a super-long time (15 years, IIRC) and also the light colour is dead white (rather than the slightly yellowy colour we get here in the rest of the world). I would really like one of those lamps.
I accidentally bought a couple of the dead white ones. Didn't like them, OK for workspaces though.

Back