• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Electronic Influences By Ghosts Perhaps

I converted the video to mp3 files but did not overlap them. I was hoping the visuals of the audio files would give a clue, but I'm not sophisticated enough to magnify the jaggy lines. Volume wise they are very soft so didn't have easily visible troughs and peaks. The files are attached. Don't know if they'll help, or if someone else can take the analysis (!!!) further than I could.

On first and subsequent listenings it's evident that the second sequence (at 1:36) is louder than the first. What it reminds me of is the noise of breath over the opening of an aluminum tube. In the olden days I used to play with the cat by making noises with the vacuum cleaner tube, and it made a sound like that (the tube, not the cat).
Thank you IbisNibs

The jacket I was wearing could create that sound in theory, yes .. it's something I've been trying to recreate but as OWB has joked, it sounds more like someone having a wank .. I was holding the camera at shoulder level which could have created the sound of my elbow rubbing against my waist due to the synthetic nature of the puffa jacket I was wearing ... I really need to now find the same sound recorded but by Eddie Mallet at the other end of the church .. except he was (and always is) wearing a leather jacket. The problem is, he just lets his camera roll continuously .. a more sensible approach to ghost invests except now I'm going to struggle to find the exact moment again. I'll pester him to re find the stuff he filmed including that sound so I can hopefully include it in this thread. His camera is a different make to mine.

A different make of camera doesn’t necessarily mean a different set of components. A lot of companies use shared technology like lens glass, sensors and microphones. Camera mics are among the least reliable recording devices imo. Far better to have a good, tried and tested separate audio recorder and set it up independently and don’t touch it. A decent stereo one would give you a better indication of the source of any noises it picks up.

I’m not really sure what I’m listening to. It sounds like a microphone inside a cheap anorak that’s constantly brushing on the fabric or a zip is going up and down.
Even as a B Camera, I would use a 4k camera suited to low light (for still image screengrabs) and I have a Tascam DR-05 audio recorder on a hotshoe mount which, although not as good as a Zoom mic, at least gives decent stereo recording with the option of cutting out low or high noise frequencies.

Going into the situations with mediocre kit produces mediocre results that causes more issues than it resolves.

+1 on the Tascam Dr-05, have one myself that i've seriously underused the last few years.

The jacket I was wearing could create that sound in theory, yes .. it's something I've been trying to recreate but as OWB has joked, it sounds more like someone having a wank .. I was holding the camera at shoulder level which could have created the sound of my elbow rubbing against my waist due to the synthetic nature of the puffa jacket I was wearing ... I really need to now find the same sound recorded but by Eddie Mallet at the other end of the church .. except he was (and always is) wearing a leather jacket. The problem is, he just lets his camera roll continuously .. a more sensible approach to ghost invests except now I'm going to struggle to find the exact moment again. I'll pester him to re find the stuff he filmed including that sound so I can hopefully include it in this thread. His camera is a different make to mine.

Maybe it's the ghost of someone who died by autoerotic asphyxiation?

Maybe it's the ghost of someone who died by autoerotic asphyxiation?
LOL .. joking aside, the history of this tiny church (more accurately, the tiny church that was originally on the same spot) involves women being killed for being witches by hanging and in one known instance, garrotting ('which' .. geddit? .. was why I was pointing a laser thermometer at a tree in one of our vids because a woman is reported to have been killed on a tree in that area .. probably not the same tree .. our female team leader had a feeling of a tight throat in that area before we were aware of these details) .. so with a leap of the imagination, gasping for breath could be interpreted that way if I'm looking for a paranormal explanation .. that or our mate just needs a Strepsil cough sweet ..

they're designed to be used for the restaurant chef kitchen areas so they are industry respected/legal standard in this other non paranormal area.

fascinating!

The thread name got me thinking. Those of us who work in radio and electronics don't really have any clear evidence of 'ghostly influences' - unless someone can show me otherwise. Decades ago I thought research into EVP and transcommunication would reveal something useful. But it never did. New researchers repeat old work and try to develop new EVP techniques, but get nowhere and drift away, only to be replaced by other hopeful researchers who also get nowhere, and the process repeats. Neither do I think the unconvincing EVP recordings 'enhanced' using programs like Audacity lend the subject any credibility. What's the latest trend? Oh yes, K2 meters, the Parascope and the Ghost Box (AKA Frank's Box) - is this really the best 21st paranormal research can do?

Radio communications can now detect coherent signals 30dB below the noise. We have all manner of extremely sensitive measuring equipment, and I would have thought someone, somewhere would have picked up repeatable anomalous unexplainable signals. But no, not a sausage.

Yep. I regularly look for and detect stuff at the uV level. I've spent decades working at tiny signal levels in all manner of electronics design and have yet to see any of said electronics influenced by anything more strange than a hard to spot 'zero' or a lead whisker...

(You can do better than -30dB SNR if you know what you're looking for and use multiple tone QAM)

It seems we're still relying on sensitives and mediums...
Creative use of the word 'relying'. ;)

Back