• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Electronic Voice Phenomena ('EVP')

We have threads on this. I have tried it with my digital voice recorder. :shock:

gordonrutter said:
Can you give us links to some of the messages you mention?

Gordon
try parascience.org, evp voices.com also howstuffworks"how evp works" then look up southern wisconsin paranormal research group

There was a segment on EVP last night, on a tabloid TV program here called A Current Affair.
Was a bit brief- a former Uniting Church minister has discovered he can attract voices to a tape recorder. His set-up looked very much like what you see in that movie.
They had someone in from the Skeptics Society to provide a counterpoint, and did a short (badly set up and explained) test in the studio.
No conclusions reached...I checked their website to see of they had posted details but it mainly seems to be stories about new diets and bras, for some reason.

I remember watching a program a few years ago where two american people were recording evp and they tresspassed onto someones land and the police were called out, the camera was pointed at the ground but still running, and when they analysed the footage, all they heard was this voice saying "busted, busted, busted" (it appears the dead have a sense of humour) just as the police arrived. They also went to an old victorian era house that had burnt down and you could here the sounds of a childrens party, childrens laughter and stuff aswell as the sounds of people screaming. which sort of freaked me out. I wouldn't mind trying it out for my self, alot of people have died in our house.

Try it! Try it! :D

We have tried it and scared ourselves half to death. Top entertainment. 8)

Here is a summary of our most interesting findings - (in reverse order)

3. Coming home to a tape recorder covered in ectoplasm. Played tape, little of note heard except sound of cat barfing on device.

2. Long tape of muffled bangs and scrapes, like furniture being dragged up bare stairs. Decision made to sleep henceforth in car averted only by realisation that the sounds were made by the dog trying to bite a hole in the gate.

1. An actual, apparently spontaneous utterance on an experimental recording - a female American saying 'Jamie called!' :shock:

EV bloody P!?

Crikey, I just listen to my malfunctioning answering machine. There's usually three or fours messages all recorded one on top of the other. It's usually, 'sorry I missed-call back-ring terry-blackened soul-hello?-paul is dead-pick up'

I swear I hit the play button after comming home yesterday and it said 'the devil-call back before 5-submissions close-I'm watching you'

my cat doesn't like the sounds it makes, but hasn't thrown up on it -yet!

I love EVP. It has just the right balance, between eerie and ridiculous. :D

I watched White Noise the other night and there was a bit in it which implied that by recording EVP you were dabbling in uncontollable stuff like you would with an Ouija board. I'd never heard this. Is it true? I'm too lazy to google it all but I just wondered if it was opening up a channel (no pun intended) you might not be able to close again.

Tyger_Lily said:
I watched White Noise the other night and there was a bit in it which implied that by recording EVP you were dabbling in uncontollable stuff like you would with an Ouija board. I'd never heard this. Is it true? I'm too lazy to google it all but I just wondered if it was opening up a channel (no pun intended) you might not be able to close again.

I think the filmmakers were just desperate for something exciting to happen in the story and made with the usual "some things we were not meant to know" horror movie clichés. I doubt it's based on a real case.

Does anyone have the book and record Breakthrough: An Amazing Experiment In Electronic Communication with the Dead? I was reminded of the Smiths song "Rubber Ring" which includes a sample from it (according to a quick Google), you know, the "You are sleeping, you do not want to believe" bit. Supposedly a ghost said that on tape and we're all aware how much Morrissey loves his ouija boards.

Amyone heard the whole thing? Breakthrough, not the Smiths song.

A friend of mine recently heard a show on EVP. During it they played a tape, and he could swear he heard his own voice saying 'Simone'. Simone was a girl he used to fancy at school. It totally freaked him out.

gncxx said:
Does anyone have the book and record Breakthrough: An Amazing Experiment In Electronic Communication with the Dead? I was reminded of the Smiths song "Rubber Ring" which includes a sample from it (according to a quick Google), you know, the "You are sleeping, you do not want to believe" bit. Supposedly a ghost said that on tape and we're all aware how much Morrissey loves his ouija boards.

Amyone heard the whole thing? Breakthrough, not the Smiths song.

Breakthrough is now up over at WFMU ;)

I have recently met an EVP researcher who has literally thousands of recordings which scare the bejesus out of me. We did some recordings together here in Stockholm.

My own (semi-accidental) EVP capture from a ghost investigation years ago is Here

*Edited because the post (accidentally) plugged a product. And because James is bigger than me and might beat me up.*

Announcements is the place for this kind of promotion, surely.

Thousands of recordings which scare the bejesus out of you . . . loadsa copies . . .

Ringo, you have been around here long enough to know what starts alarm bells ringing, surely! :shock:

Yes, you're right there. Apologies for the previous post, consider it edited.

Just so you are all aware, I am in no way financially connected to the product nor do I care if it sells at all - I was just pointing out that it seems to offer some good examples of what we are talking about and the links were to back up my claims.

Sorry again if if came over the wrong way.

Supposed "Scariest EVP"

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere. I did a quick search, and didn't find anything here on it, so here goes. The other day I did a search on "scariest EVP" and came across this:

http://www.gotghosts.org/news.php

It's an over ten-minute EVP clip caught by CNY Ghost Hunters. The story behind it is interesting, and listening to thing reveals some pretty strange stuff going on (scroll to the middle of that page to hear the clip). There's even another page that offers a full translation of what is going on, but for the life of me I couldn't make most of that out when trying to read it and keep up with the clip itself. More story of the clip here:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... f_the.html

And then the translation is here:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... tml?page=2

Of course, the people who made the recording have come under fire from skeptics who claim the whole thing was faked. Even if this is the case, this has got to be one of the most bizarre recordings offered up just given the translation itself, which seems to follow both a linear and stream-of-consciousness dialogue. Any thoughts?

While browsing a very strange old records blog last night, I came across the Ghost Orchid CD, which might be otherwise hard to locate. It seems to date from 1999 but mainly documents the EVP messages of Raymond Cass from the 1970s. It also contains the complete Breakthrough EP, which came with Raudive's book. I'm sure this was missing from the library copy I perused with fascination as a kid.

Making sense of this stuff requires more context than given here but the voices are played over three times in most cases for your further joy or bafflement. Cass sounds to be a true believer in the power of this phenomemon to bring about world peace through the agency of certain alien installations which relay their messages from afar to our troubled society. He cites the cover-up at Roswell as an example of the way governments suppress evidence of other worlds. His sessions with the radio tuned to airline communications seem to have been conducted in the style of a seänce.

Anyway here is the link.

The first of the two small links marked [1] should lead to a full download.

The rest of that blog is also well worth exploring, though some of the links are dead. If your tastes tend to the avant-garde, there is plenty of music along with waterfall tapes, Christian rants and "Drunken neighbour reciting Also Sprach Zarathustra" !

I don't think this has been posted before but the search suggests Ghost Orchid has been mentiioned at least once in the EVP threads.

I'm a proud owner of the Ghost Orchid CD, haven't listened to it in years, though. If you like hearing distorted, croaky, German phrases, it's a must.

A part of the Breakthrough recordings is sampled at the beginning of the Smiths' Asleep. For years I was impressed by its startling clarity, until I finally got to hear Breakthrough and realised that it was the voice of the narrator which had been used :oops:

I was sleeping, and I *did* want to believe...

PS: Thanks for the link to that blog, James ;)

This sounds rather too much like publicity for Heartlands, just ahead of Halloween, for my liking. But having said that, it's often claimed that ghostly behaviour increases when building work disturbs 'the spirits', and there's been plenty of renovation at Heartlands, which only opened in April this year...

Haunted Heartlands captured on YouTube audio
2:20pm Sunday 7th October 2012 in News

Strange audio recordings taken at Heartlands during a private paranormal investigation in the former tin mine have been released to the public in time for Halloween later this month.

Investigators G.H.O.S.T. UK uncovered a number of ‘electronic voice phenomena’ (EVP) and other strange noises after leaving recording equipment running in Robinson’s Shaft engine house, visitor centre, mining exhibitions and the Red River Cafe (once the carpenter’s workshop) at the 19 acre attraction in Pool.

Voices include a male stating “Go and ask them... where the keys?” in a strong Cornish accent, a male and female voice saying “Alright? Bobbin’ Big Head!” in the Red River Cafe and a male voice saying “Ghost is in there” in the visitor centre.
Other noises included bangs, knocks, the sound of a horn in the engine house and the mentioning of names.

Heartlands contacted the investigators after staff and visitors had reported feeling uneasy in various areas of the heritage buildings, but were shocked at just how many EVPs were recorded.

Heartlands and G.H.O.S.T. UK have now released a YouTube clip of the original investigation and are inviting members of the public to take part in new paranormal explorations on two exclusive evenings – Saturday, October 27 and Saturday, November 3.
Visitors will discover more about techniques used by paranormal experts and mediums while taking part in their own investigation. Spaces are limited to 30 people each night.

The paranormal evenings are part of a week of events at Heartlands Ghost Haunted, which runs from October 27 to November 4.
Other activities include a spooky disco for kids, a film screening of Scream the movie, pumpkin carving, eerie archery and scary mask making.

Kate Turnbull, marketing manager of Heartlands, said: “After comments from visitors and staff about strange encounters in the heritage buildings, we decided to get a team in to check things out with some surprising results.

“There is something for everyone within our week of spooky activities, whether it’s attending a paranormal investigation, dressing up in a Scream mask and coming to our cinema night or bringing the children along for a bit of scary dancing at the spooky disco.”

http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/news/99 ... io/?ref=mr

Why would a ghost say "Bobbing Big Head"? :?:

Zilch5 said:
Why would a ghost say "Bobbing Big Head"? :?:
I thought that might be a reference to part of the engine-house works:
A beam engine is a type of steam engine where a pivoted overhead beam is used to apply the force from a vertical piston to a vertical connecting rod. This configuration, with the engine directly driving a pump, was first used by Thomas Newcomen around 1705 to remove water from mines in Cornwall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beam_engine
The 'nodding' beam could also drive winding engines. (The Nodding Jennies seen on oilfields also use overhead beams.)

The picture here of Michells Shaft engine house at East Pool mine shows the beam protruding from the engine house and driving a big winding wheel.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:East_ ... _house.jpg

Not too big a jump of the imagination to call the beam end a "Bobbing Big Head"! 8)

That particular engine is right alongside the main road between Redruth and Camborne, and can be seen working several days a week. (And a little further on you pass Heartlands itself.)

I sometimes catch sight of a "Bobbing Big Head" out of the corner of my eye: it's actually a 'mophead' of hydrangea flowers outside my window, bobbing in the wind! 8)

It's especially spooky in the dusk... :shock:

If it's a replaying of something which happened in the past then "Throbbin big head." would make more sense as an answer to the question "(are you)Alright?".

This is great, a documentary from this morning about EVP:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01rg1gh

Jolyon Jenkins reports on the world of electronic voice phenomena (EVP) - the community of people who believe that the dead can speak to us through radio transmissions and white noise. The technique was introduced to the English speaking world by a mysterious Latvian, Dr Konstantin Raudive, who travelled to Britain in 1969 with recordings of Hitler, Churchill and Stalin speaking from beyond the grave. The method is now a mainstay of paranormal investigators. Jolyon unearths tapes from 40 years ago made at a key séance held by Dr Raudive in Gerrards Cross. Raudive eventually came to believe that a budgerigar called Putzi was passing on messages from a dead 14 year old girl. Jolyon speaks to EVP current practitioners, and to a man who believes that his recordings of animal noises also contain messages.

The claims are improbable, but they tell us interesting things about human perception: about our ability to construct meaning from meaningless sound, and about how our brains naturally fill in the gaps where information is incomplete. Optical illusions are well known, but we are equally prone to being fooled by audio illusions. Sound artist Joe Banks suggests that, while EVP researchers may be carrying out parapsychology experiments, they are unwittingly doing conventional psychology experiments.

It's sceptical but fair minded. Worth hearing for the clips!

I heard it too. Absolutely great! :D

Back