• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Electronic Voice Phenomena ('EVP')

That's the problem with EVP - apparently the dead are just the recently dead, may sometimes be polyglots, but in general say nothing of any insight. Having listened to 'The Ghost Orchid' CD many times, it all does sound like radio interference from channels cutting each other, and/or sound simulacra seized upon be willing researchers.

You're bloody lucky if you find a living human with anything interesting to say; stands to reason the dead will be even worse...I mean, they're dead, aren't they?

Meanings

Then there is the very meaningful communication from many different sources eventually pieced together to offer real-time information, as reported in The Airmen Who Would Not Die by John G. Fuller. He characterizes this as perhaps the single most convincing evidence of survival beyond bodily death and of communication with entitites we'd call dead.

Recommended highly.

Watch Your Step

Inverurie Jones said:
You're bloody lucky if you find a living human with anything interesting to say; stands to reason the dead will be even worse...I mean, they're dead, aren't they?

Good point, but I'd still expect some practical, basic advice like Watch That First Step, It's a Killer or Don't Die Angry or what ever. I mean, even people acting like cattle being herded as they queue and file in or out a theater will warn you about the wet spot on the floor. Well, some.

Seems with spirit communictions and EVP and so on we get the empty-headed ones, the insane ones, and the irrelevatnt ones wanting to be chatty.

Of course, as SIGNS tried to make clear, sometimes what seems irrelevant or elliptical is actually quite meaningful if one can find the proper context. This could explain some of this, although not really why it's so hard to be simple, direct, and clear. Why must they always talk at odd angles to everything, in hints and winks and nudges.

The implications of that question can get frightening if you let them.

Re: Meanings

FraterLibre said:
Then there is the very meaningful communication from many different sources eventually pieced together to offer real-time information, as reported in The Airmen Who Would Not Die by John G. Fuller. He characterizes this as perhaps the single most convincing evidence of survival beyond bodily death and of communication with entitites we'd call dead.

Recommended highly.

I know that book. I like the expression on the face of the chap on the cover. Reminds me of myself when I was...er...will be his age...

JerryB said:
That's the problem with EVP - apparently the dead are just the recently dead, may sometimes be polyglots, but in general say nothing of any insight. Having listened to 'The Ghost Orchid' CD many times, it all does sound like radio interference from channels cutting each other, and/or sound simulacra seized upon be willing researchers.

The Evp voices hav a singing mode to.The polyglot confuses me if Evp voices can come through from where ever, why do they gibber shite?Never the less I do find the EVP phenomena interesting.Who knows?Check out http://www.voicesfromparadise.co.uk
for EVP samples.

Re: Misinterpreting

FraterLibre said:
I think it may be a real phenomenon we are misinterpreting.

Good post.I have often felt that mediums some how pick up the thoughts or feelings of the person they are doing a reading for rather than speaking to the dead.So maybe the EVp could be
coming from the mind of the experimenter.Just a thought.

Absence

But EVP is often made in the absence of any experimenter. Yes, some ask questions and then record for a few seconds, but many leave their recorders set up in lonely places and come back later.

Further, if our thoughts were accessible by magnetic tape or digital recordings, we'd have noticed long since, given the number of decades we've been recording sounds.

It seems to be an EM phenomenon associated for some reason with hauntings, haunted spots, or ghosts, which also seem to be linked with electromagnetism.

By misinterpreting, I meant that we may be too hooked on the idea that these snatches of what might be voices are somehow intended as communication. Perhaps they're just bleed through we don't understand from our decades of broadcasting or something like that.

Further investigation and probably new recording methods are needed before we solve this.

I subscribe to the EVP&TS.Chap called Bob reckons he is sending BBC radio " to his wife in heaven.I swear I want it to be true.What do you think?

I still tend to view EVP in the same way I view the orbs phenomenon - that is, it's misidentification of something more mundane, given more depth by those who want to believe because of the context in which the data is sometimes collected (i.e. 'haunted' locales).

As to what the 'dead' are saying or not saying - I think that's the main problem I have with EVP. They're not saying anything that would lead one to conclude outright that life exists after death. They give no insight into what life is like 'on the other side' - in fact, they even have less depth that your common or garden info given out by 'spirits' at seances.

Timeline

JerryB - What is the interesting but seemingly random Fortean Timeline one links to in your signature?

It's something I've been working on for a while. It's not supposed to be random, hence the fact that I've sorted things into a year-by-year basis. The years 1926 to 1950 are currently in progress.

It's been mentioned that none of the voices heard are clear or say anything useful/about "the other side".
This website: http://www.worlditc.org/ has some clear EVPs which do reveal a lot. Especially the Raudive recordings.

However, the clarity of this is likely to cause people to doubt it's veracity even further.
It's like most paranormal things - if the phenomena are vague, they're doubted, if they're crystal clear, they're doubted even more.
Can't win!

By the way, I'm undecided so direct your cynicism at the site, not me.
pinkle

Criteria

JerryB said:
It's something I've been working on for a while. It's not supposed to be random, hence the fact that I've sorted things into a year-by-year basis. The years 1926 to 1950 are currently in progress.

I meant, simply, by what criteria are these items being chosen, as they seemed somewhat randomly assembled, not that they aren't chronological. Just curious; it's a good list of interesting things and I rather like it.

Clarity's Shame

Originally posted by Pinklefish

However, the clarity of this is likely to cause people to doubt it's veracity even further.
It's like most paranormal things - if the phenomena are vague, they're doubted, if they're crystal clear, they're doubted even more.
Can't win!

By the way, I'm undecided so direct your cynicism at the site, not me.
pinkle

No cynicism, although you're quite right about the really clear ones being instantly suspect. Trouble being that one cannot tell the difference between a clearly recorded EVP and someone speaking clearly into a microphone.

Must give us pause.

I'm reminded of Billy Meier's clear UFO pictures, which have always seemed simply too good to be true and, by gum, so it was proven.

In any case, if there is no substantive difference between a regular living person recording and EVP we wouldn't be having this discussion, right? So keep those unclear and muffled EVP recordings coming in.

Re: Criteria

FraterLibre said:
I meant, simply, by what criteria are these items being chosen, as they seemed somewhat randomly assembled, not that they aren't chronological. Just curious; it's a good list of interesting things and I rather like it.

The only sorting is year by year, but within each year there is not meant to be any structure, just what I've tracked down. I like an easy life and wouldn't like to have subsets/catagories for each year.

Re: Re: Presumption of Idiocy Pending

TVgeek said:
There is the one (I think its on the Shadowlands EVP page
-- I'll add the URL if anyone is interested)
where the police show up at the cemetary during
someone's EVP recording session, and a woman's voice says, "Busted!"

Obviously aware of what is happening --
and with a sense of humor, besides!

TVgeek

Actually, I saw that one on telly. It was a American/Spanish voice saying bastard, IIRC.

Just a suggestion, I think it may just be due to random noise (both audio and video) that has been misinterpretted by the observer as a voice or a face.
The human brain does have the inclination to attempt to order the world around us into recognisable forms, especially when it comes to human faces, and it was a vital part of our evolution that we did so. This property has a slight side effect of also intepretting things such as 2 dots and a line as a face :) and a slight breeze as a whisper, and this could have a part in this sort of occurance.
Also if the researcher is spending an extended length of time either listening/watching the sort of random input required then this might amount to a form of low-level sensory deprivation, in which the researcher may have mild audio/visual hallucinations.

This might not be the case for all such recordings but it might be helpful to take these effects into account.

sorry about my spelling by the way.

I tend to agree - it seems to be a case of sound simulacra to me.

EVP?

hey, i made the mistake of purchasing that CD that had a whle bunch of recordings of Electronic Voice Phenomena....i can't remember the details of the cd, other than it was made by some scandinavian bloke, and it was crap :)

it sounds like this guy was just picking up radio transmissions.

i'm about the check out this site though....

http://photos2.ghostweb.com/evp.html

i've tried to do it myself....but got nothing. has anyone else given it a go?

Re: EVP?

guttersnipe said:
hey, i made the mistake of purchasing that CD that had a whle bunch of recordings of Electronic Voice Phenomena....i can't remember the details of the cd, other than it was made by some scandinavian bloke, and it was crap :)

You want to get rid of it I'll buy it off you if you want or if you could give me the website url so I can buy one from there

Thanks

Gordon

Oh great! Guttersnipe's provided me with a website full of ghost voices to scare myself sh1tless with!:eek:

Cheers!:p

(Takes me back to the time I listened to the EVP flexi-disc, that came with the first 'Unexplained' mag:eek!!!!: I thought I was safe... until now!)

What was the CD? Ghost Orchid?

EVP is one of those forten phenomena that scare the crap out of me - and so, of course, I love it! I'd never do it myself though. A strictly hands off approach.

It's a little similar to the Numbers Station phenomenon - there's weird things floating in those radio waves..

I once made a recording myself when I was 16/17. After several minutes we got what sounded like 'Hello'...'can you hear me'?

You shoulda seen us move! We turned it off so fast!

Still, what should we expect? We made the recording in an old pub that was haunted.

Whenever I find a EVP site I always sh*t myself thinking how scary the recordings will be, then when I listen it turns out to be a odd noise going bwwbg.

Just to be on the safe side, I'm going to try this page tomorrow when there's daylight...

hey, yeah, that's the one! Ghost Orchid.

It's in australia now...but i regularly make requests hoem to get cd's sent over (i've got tons of the buggers at home waiting to come over!), so i could ask for it, and then you can have it.

it's not really all that scary....i found it a bit lame! :)

but, if i can get it here, then it's yours.

Well some of it sounds weird but 1753 Cemetery 2 ".RM" sounds like it was recorded in a pub.

There's some more EVPs here and no I haven't tried listening to them its late :D

A lot of IHTM ghost stories on this site too, it used to be a favourite haunt (hohoho) of mine before the FTMB was born.

I enjoyed the EVP recordings on Shadowlands, particularly 'Please, you don't have to worry about me' which is spoken in estuary English a New Jersey cemetery!:confused:

I read a book about EVPas a teenager and tried several times to record ghosts- no results at all.

More recently, I tried leaving a tape recorder running in the kitchen when I went to work. Recorded highlights include the dogs barking at the postman and a cat barfing on the appliance.:(

Back