• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Elephant On Acid

kiel_d

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Found this on Guardian Unlimited today....

A Dose Of Madness

Make of it what you will.

here's the text:-

Forty years ago, two psychiatrists adminstered history's largest dose of LSD. Johan Jensen reports on the epoch-defining experiment

Thursday August 8, 2002
The Guardian

Mystified by the new wonder drug LSD, the psychiatrist Louis Jolyon West and his colleague at the University of Oklahoma, Chester M Pierce, were looking for a new way to investigate the drug in 1962. They came up with an idea so outlandish it could only happen in the world of experimental psychology.

Male elephants are prone to bouts of madness; LSD seems to cause a temporary form of madness; perhaps if we combine the two, they reasoned, we could make an elephant go mad. Their research paper about this venture is a tragicomedy of high hopes and lessons not learnt. For only mindless optimism and blind faith can account for the events that unfolded on a hot summer day in Oklahoma City's Lincoln Park Zoo 40 years ago.

Having established that "one of the strangest things about elephants is the phenomenon of going 'on musth'," a form of madness that sees the animal "run berserk for a period of about two weeks, during which time he may attack or attempt to attack anything in his path," West and Pierce enrolled the assistance of Warren D Thomas of the local zoo.

Thomas volunteered the services of Tusko, a 3,200kg, 14-year-old male elephant. They were all set to establish what an elephant on acid would get up to. One crucial point had to be decided - how much LSD would it take to make him run amok? Research had established that lower animals are less susceptible to the mind-altering effects of LSD than humans. It would be a waste to have an elephant ready to go and then miss out on the unique opportunity by giving it an insufficient dose.

West and Pierce decided to go for it. While 297mg might not sound a lot, it is enough LSD to make nearly 3,000 people experience hours of "marked mental disturbance," to use the researchers' phrase. This was the record-breaking quantity of the most potent psychoactive substance in existence fired into one of Tusko's rumps with a rifle-powered dart at 8am on August 3. What happened next is captured with an oddly moving economy of expression in the clinical voice of the research paper:

"His mate (Judy, a 15-year-old female) approached him and appeared to attempt to support him. He began to sway, his hindquarters buckled, and it became increasingly difficult for him to maintain himself upright. Five minutes after the injection he trumpeted, collapsed, fell heavily on to his right side, defecated, and went into status epilepticus." An hour and 40 minutes later, Tusko was declared dead. Surely a more anticlimactic moment or a greater tragedy was never recorded by scientists.

The animal they had hoped would stomp around its pen in mad fury had fallen to the ground and slowly expired in the dust. But they drew something positive out of what in anyone else's view would be considered an abject failure. West and Pierce's conclusion, a staggering feat of positive thought, sums up an era's belief in the infallibility of science: "It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa."

· West, LJ, Pierce, CM, Thomas, WD (1962) Lysergic Acid Diethylamide: Its effect on a Male Asiatic Elephant. Science, 138, 1100-1102

--kiel--

Nearly did me too......

I love scientists who are so precise they measure doses on the "I dunno" scale.

I have a lot of faith in science but a lot less than i did before reading this.

--kiel--

yet another example of man's infinite reserve of stupidity and cruelty. If you really wanted to achieve something medically justifiable from such research you'd give the elephant a dose which was proportionate to it's size.

Poor tusko :(

Why the feck would you want an elephant to go mad in the first place?

ffs :(

If poetic justice had any validity, the elephant would have gone mad, broken out of its pen, and trampled the researchers into the dust.

apparently at around the same time researchers gave LSD to a spider, which proceeded to spin a perfectly symetrical web.
I don't know if this is a true story.
Maybe I had a flashback.:blah:

Aleister6666 said:
apparently at around the same time researchers gave LSD to a spider, which proceeded to spin a perfectly symetrical web.
Some piccies of druggy spiders' webs here.

Wow! Judging by the spiderweb evidence, steer clear of coffee and other caffeine products - the totally scramble your mind!

What University

What university bestowed degrees on these idiots?

Seems to me there are a whole lot of morons among psychologists, especially at that time. What gave them any idea that they could cancel madness out that way?

I'm not surprised they could be so dense. After all it was experimental psychologists who came up with the hypothesis that epilepsy and schizophrenia are mutually exclusive, therefore to induce epilepsy by electrotherapy would treat schizophrenia.
That's a bit like saying that quadraplegics never have driving accidents, therefore we can stop people from having driving accidents by cutting off their arms and legs after their first one.

I'm at work right now and can't check, but I seem to recall that when I first heard this story it was the CIA who were conducting and sponsoring the research. (I'm pretty sure this was in 'The Brotherhood of Eternal Love', a rather nifty examination of how organized crime took the street production of LSD out of the hands of hippies like Owsley. Can't recall the authors. Like I say, I'll have to look it up when I get the chance, prob. towards the weekend.)

---------------------------------
17/08/02 14:00 hrs

My bad. The reference was buried in the first chapter, which deals mainly with the discovery of LSD and subsequent CIA experiments, but the reference to the elephant experiment doesn't tie the experiment into anything that the spooks were sponsoring.

The book if anyone's interested is: "The Brotherhood of Eternal Love" by Stewart Tendler and David May, Panther Books/Granada pub. 1984, ISBN-0-586-04909-6.

"To make this mundane world sublime,
Take half a gram of Phamerothyme." -Aldous Huxley to Dr. Humphrey Osmond ca. 1956-57

"To fathom Hell or sour angelic,
Just take a pinch of psychedelic." -Dr. Osmond's reply.

(Not sure if that 'sour' shouldn't be 'soar': anyone else got any idea?)

Got a mention in the Grauniad again today:

Tusko's last trip

Mark Pilkington
Thursday February 26, 2004
The Guardian

The annals of science describe thousands of noble experiments monitoring the effects of drugs, from alcohol to Tetrahydrocannabinol (cannabis extract),

on animals including monkeys, dolphins, pigeons and spiders. But the biggest and most controversial animal drug experiment involved a three-tonne bull Asian elephant named Tusko.
Conducted by Dr Louis Jolyon "Jolly" West and two colleagues, the experiment took place in 1962 at the University of Oklahoma. West's stated intention was to see whether LSD - yet to hit the streets as a recreational drug - would induce a condition called musth in Tusko. Musth, which occurs naturally in all bull elephants, is a period of heightened testosterone production and high aggression. Why West should have been interested in this is unclear, though he has repeatedly been linked to the CIA's MK Ultra programme, which had been experimenting with LSD on unwitting subjects like Tusko since 1953.

Tusko, "the prize of Oklahoma City Zoo", was injected with 297mg of LSD, an enormous dose even for an elephant, and more than 30 times what a three-tonne human might receive. After five minutes, Tusko trumpeted, fell over, defecated and began shuddering violently; his pupils dilated, his legs became stiff, he bit his tongue and his breathing became laboured.

Twenty minutes later, in an attempt to calm him, a large (again, almost certainly too large) amount of the anti-psychotic Thorazine was injected into the elephant, probably inducing a massive drop in blood pressure and heart palpitations. It didn't help; after another hour West pumped Tusko with a tranquilliser, and a few minutes later he was dead. The whole process took one hour and 40 minutes.

A great deal of controversy surrounds the Tusko experiment. Rumours persist that West was on LSD during the experiment and the following autopsy, and that he shot Tusko up with amphetamines. While the experiment is quoted as evidence of LSD's toxicity, it seems most likely that the Thorazine or the combination of drugs killed Tusko, not the acid. Lending credence to this, in 1984 psychologist Ronald K Siegel repeated the experiment with two elephants, using LSD only. Both survived.

Tusko's trip was one great leap for elephant-kind that need never be made again.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/farout/story/0,13028,1155993,00.html

Interesting MK-Ultra link - anyone got more info?

Emps

A School Prank

Another entry into the Sick Fuck School of Pseudo-Science.

"Proof that Oreo cookies are not only toxic but fatal came when Dr. West force-fed 14,000 Oreos to a toddler named Jo and, when the child began fussing, shot him to death with a bullet to the head. Said Dr. West, --I'd never feed MY child these evil cookies."

Sort of along the same psychology as destroying the village in order to save it, y'know?

While the experiment is quoted as evidence of LSD's toxicity, it seems most likely that the Thorazine or the combination of drugs killed Tusko, not the acid. Lending credence to this, in 1984 psychologist Ronald K Siegel repeated the experiment with two elephants, using LSD only. Both survived.

What exactly was the object of this experiment?!?!?

Whilst one can hardly mourn the demise of a nasty piece of work like an elephant, I do think they should have had a slightly more controlled experiment....

Mistake

You're obviously mistaking elephants, which are noble creatures, with Republicans, which are indeed nasty pieces of work.

No, its definatley elephants....Republicans do no stomp on their keepers, instead they wait untill the man is looking away, then lob a stick or a stone at him.

(Elephants may do that too.)

Boy

Boy are YOU wrong; that's JUST what Republicans do. Look at the pulp they've stomped the Constitution into, for example.

Any idea of how much Thorazine, (Chlorpromazine), was given?

Aleister6666 said:

Don't know aboud LSD, but I know they've administered spiders amphetamines and watched them spin manic tangles of web. It seems obvious to me why this hasn't been attempted with an elephant (besides the fact that elephants don't spin webs, that is).

Back