• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Elon Musk's Starman Conspiracy

Unless the matte black panels are part of the projection?

No, I don't believe that either. There is no reason to fake this.
Still strange the stream changed from universe view to inside capsule view in an instant.

Still strange the stream changed from universe view to inside capsule view in an instant.
Can you point to the bit you're talking about? Thanks.

I meant that landing the boosters in general is part of the core of SpaceX. They have done it but it doesn't quite seem routine yet.

Can you point to the bit you're talking about? Thanks.
SpaceX has shortened the video to 34 minutes, so I had to find another video showing it.

I do understand they want to protect the car from the enviroment. It will probably be hit with a lot of small meteorites/stones during the travel.

Hmmm, oddly out of sequence.

DON'T PANIC ! Things Look Fake In Space

DON'T PANIC ! Things Look Fake In Space

Why did they ask a chemist to talk about the sciencey bit? Why not a physicist?

Edit: Oh yeah, any video that mentions 'scientism' is not worth watching.

Last edited:
That is weird.

Not as weird as assuming a physicist necessarily knows any more about it than any other hard science professional.

This one's better. Go to 2:52.

Once more ... If you're referring to the bright flare that settles into the 'space view', it's the burst of sunlight exposure from the payload fairing (shroud) being jettisoned to expose the car to the space environment.

Someone at the scene did a video of the 2 boosters landing:
So that bit happened.

There should be some jokes about all of this online by now but I haven't found any yet (apart from that crack I did about him not wanting his ex wife to get his car) ... a prize of this cookie:

acookie.jpg

... goes to the best joke, possibly something to do with getting it up, red ends or tax evasion or something ..

Not as weird as assuming a physicist necessarily knows any more about it than any other hard science professional.
If I wanted to know more about 'space' and 'light', I don't think asking a chemist would be my first thought.
I know that a chemist probably would know the answer, but for consultancy purposes, they'd be further down on the list of reference sources.

If I wanted to know more about 'space' and 'light', I don't think asking a chemist would be my first thought.
I know that a chemist probably would know the answer, but for consultancy purposes, they'd be further down on the list of reference sources.

I'm surprised they asked any kind of scientist. Normally, today, the font of all knowledge on any subject is usually some reality TV star.

Elon Musk to be launched into space to retrieve sunglasses left in Tesla

tesla-in-spacex-small.jpg

American entrepreneur and future Bond villain Elon Musk will later today be shot into space to collect the Ray-Bans he left in his red Tesla roadster.

The car was launched with the Falcon Heavy on 6 February for no apparent reason whatsoever.

The madman billionaire didn’t realise he’d left his favourite sunglasses in the glove compartment until he went to put them on to watch the launch.

“It’s a double kick in the teeth for me,” said Musk. “Not only have I lost my favourite glasses, I also couldn’t watch the launch because the sun and thrust flames were too bright.”

It is also reported that Musk left a U2 album in the car, but does not plan on retrieving it when he gets there.

etc

http://newsthump.com/2018/02/08/elo...o-space-to-retrieve-sunglasses-left-in-tesla/

So that bit happened.
I've seen a few of those now. It looks so cool and just absolutely mental. Like something from Star Wars. This is what an alien ship arriving would look like. Here's a compilation of views.

So that bit happened.
Assuming that video's real. Because of course, a piece of "amateur footage" like that would be the perfect corroborating evidence. And the Youtube account in question only has two other videos on it, which are also footage of SpaceX booster landings.

Also presuming that the person who runs the account has led a very normal life and has never had the opportunity to film a historically defining moment at close quarters before. I think if I had been there, I would post it on Youtube too. Partly to share it and partly to annoy people who claim it's all a hoax.

One thing I did notice from the live feed, and you can see it in the above image from Bigphoot, is that the car freezes and then thaws with every rotation. As it turns away from the sun, the bodywork gets a coating of ice which then melts again when the sunlight hits it. It's quite beautiful really.

Back