• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Elvis Presley

A

Anonymous

Elvis as religious, cultural, social, media Icon. In a thousand years will Las Vegas be the new Mecca/Vatican? Will " In Elvis we trust" appear on the new world order banknote? Are we now watching the slow growth of a new Messiah. Is it my imagination or is the instance of recurrence of the use of Elvis symbolism and urban mythology in advertising and the media already out of control, elevating iconic figures to near Angel or Devil status, Elvis being the biggest cahoona of them all. Anyone interested in discussing?

Are you talkin' about the King?!? The King of Rock-nRoll!
He is the Messiah!

Well, it's...
1 4 the $...
2 4 the show...
3 2 get ready... let's go cat go! let's rock!
c'mon everybody, let's rock!

Well, there already seems to be a church of Elvis. So i´d say he´s pretty much turned into a religion in the same way as other humans have before him.

Yes he has become a religion, but have you been watching the amount of presley references that are prevalent in every form of the media, the amount of manufactured idols that are following Col.Tom`s dancing chickens scenario, the use of presley or presley references in advertising, the amount of times his face still appears on TV, I suppose what I am trying to get at is that if a new Messiah type Myth was evolving from the life of Elvis the modern media have given this person more airtime or print space than any other modern individual and thus are actually unwittingly contributing to the creation of the Elvis/Messiah Myth.

The media will do anything that gets them money. A lot of people like Elvis - and why not? he was a great entertainer - but the media can make more money if they use his popularity in other ways. I mean, like him and say he was a great singer and wrote great songs, sure, but worship him? Why? By all accounts he wasn't a pleasant person, certainly not someone to idolise. It's a bit like all the hysteria and hero worship that hangs around Princess Diana and John Lennon and Ronnie Kray (although I'm loathe to mention Princess Diana in the same sentence as that psychotic scumbag Ronnie Kray) but it does make you wonder what's missing in people's lives that they need to latch onto figures like this and make them out to be something they never were.

Mr. Bingo said:
The media will do anything that gets them money. A lot of people like Elvis - and why not? he was a great entertainer - but the media can make more money if they use his popularity in other ways. I mean, like him and say he was a great singer and wrote great songs, sure, but worship him? Why? By all accounts he wasn't a pleasant person, certainly not someone to idolise. It's a bit like all the hysteria and hero worship that hangs around Princess Diana and John Lennon and Ronnie Kray (although I'm loathe to mention Princess Diana in the same sentence as that psychotic scumbag Ronnie Kray) but it does make you wonder what's missing in people's lives that they need to latch onto figures like this and make them out to be something they never were.
Makes you wonder about religious icons of the past.:confused:

given the issue is "elvis as a supernatural icon", i would like to gather some infomation about the "elvis is alive" thing. does anybody remember a good episode in the news? like a particular sighting or sthg like that??
i'm also very interested in the tabloidish legend of "elivis abducted by aliens". does anybody remember some article, tv show etc?
thank you

The SF author Tom Womack wrote a series of books set in the future (and partially in an alternate world) where Elvis worship is a serious faith..its worth a look

Strange thing from about 20'ish years ago.
A fire broke out in the flat above the one I was living in. Me and my brother heard the flames and my Dad rescued our neighbours.
The entire living room was gutted except for two things....Can you guess ??
A plastic crucifix was melted into the wall but was not damaged in any other way. The figure of Christ and the "grain" on the wood of the cross were as if new.
The other object not damaged was......wait for it....... a cheap print of Elvis. The frame had completely burned away.
I remember everyone being baffled and my Mum saying that neither of them were cremated and thats how they had been saved.
The cause of the fire was put down to a match being dropped down the side of a sofa.
This really happened. You can ask my Mum :) .

Views so far:
Elvis: 70
Medical Extreme Yuckiness: 170.

Must try harder! Elvis was much more horrible than a Teratoma.

Now where did I leave my deep fried banana and peanut butter
sandwich . . .

There are a couple of videos out called 'The E-Files'.
Whilst they are a bit schmaltzy, they are quite entertaining.
I believe they were 2 TV special made for American TV, and were hosted by Bill Bixby who played Bruce Banner in the Hulk, as he was apparentely a good friend of Elvis.
They show some photographs taken at Graceland during his funeral in which he appears at a window, and other stuff along these lines.
They also have some hilarious re-enactments of 'large American ladies' who apparentely have either served him in a diner or 'had relations' with the 'king'.
As far as I remember they also had Elvis' hairdresser on saying it was a dummy they buried, or something.

As for religion, he ain't no God, he's just Elvis.

Elvis: The Orion Mystery

I read on a website about Elvis' supposed survival and continued performances as a masked singer called Orion, who mysterious disappeared a short while afterward. I thing the survival idea is rubbish, but the Orion character is intriguing. However, a search on the web returns almost nothing. Has anyone heard of such a performer in the late 1970s, and if so, who was he - huh? huh? huh?

Check out the source of this info at:

http://www.instantmag.com/features/elvis.htm

I think the survival idea is rubbish, but the Orion character is intriguing. However, a search on the web returns almost nothing. Has anyone heard of such a performer in the late 1970s,

Orion's CDs are freely available - check out CDNow.com, you can even listen to a few of his songs if you are brave enough (lots and lots of Elvis covers). I think he was just playing on being the dead Elvis. "Orion" was Jimmy (Bell) Ellis. Check out this website about him:

http://orionmusic.tripod.com/

For more information, use google search:

"who was that masked man" +orion

Hey, don't be talking no smack about Elvis.

I've been Elvis fan for a long time. He was just a man who, well, created rock and roll.

As far as being a deity is concerned, I doubt that anyone seriously thinks that he is a God. I think that people milk his kitsch value for all its worth.

I remember in the early 80s as a child, the legend "Elvis lives" painted in white on a tree somewhere between Sheffield and Barnsley. I did appreaciate from that very early period in my life, the fact that "Elvis" and "Lives" were in fact anagrams of each other. Coincidence? As a child, I presumed so...

The name Elvis, however, does mean "all-wise" or "sage". Was there some great wisdom in his teachings of rock and roll? Is there a possible connection between the 12 bar blues and nashville numbers chord progressions used in much rock and roll and country music, and greater patterns? Maybe, in similar style to the film Pi, the true name of God exists within Elvis: the Definitive Singles Collection.

I do know of the weeping Elvis icons, but has the man actually appeared to anyone since his demise 24 years ago?

I remember having a book from the 80s called Is Elvis Alive? which came with a casette tape of an alleged telephone conversation with Elvis after his "death". Of course no one could imitate Elvis' voice.........;)

sureshot

Elvis's later songs, played backwards underwater, were revealed to contain a number of recipes relating to the preparation of burgers, chili 'dogs, golden spicy fries, popcorn and cake.

Actually, I made that up. I couldn't think of anything else interesting to say about Elvis. Sorry.

Peter Guralnick's CARELESS LOVE - a chunky biog of the the man provides plenty to discuss about Elvis, including his interest in mysticism and his juvenile attention-demanding personality and insecurities. A worthwhile read.

...he certainly has not left the building !!

Check out the ghostly encounter the man 'Slater' has with the King in True Romance.....

...in YOUR time of need the King will be there, much like a Jesus figure ! Controversial ? Well, turning water into wine is controversial....but, well, enough, enough.......!

...either that or Slater is mad !!??

Considering the first scene has him explain that if he had to , you know what, a man...it would be the King.

Discuss......

"...rockin' and rollin', livin' fast, dyin' young, and leaving a good-looking corpse."

But you're right, I'd be pretty disturbed if Val Kilmer appeared in my bathroom and told me to kill a drug-dealer.

Okay. Whilst perhaps this may be better suited going on one of the other threads where Elvis is brought up I think I can justify starting this thread. Here goes...

25th anniversary of Elvis' death (or not if you want to believe the conspiracy). Anyway, either way there is going to be a plethora of wierdos and wierdness in white jumpsuits and rhinestones hip-gyrating its way from some ethereal Vegas into the news headlines. I thought I would start this thread as a repository for all the mania. Any relevant news reports (including sightings, if you must) can be compiled within for edification or easy avoidance depending on how fond of cheeseburgers you are...

Thagyewverymuch...Elvis has left the building!

I suppose this should really go in the 'Favourite Quotes' thread, but I tend to agree with John Lennon. When he was told that Elvis had died, he is reported to have said

"Elvis died when he joined the army"

Starting the ball (rock n') rolling

As posted in Ananova

17m Americans 'have impersonated Elvis'

A new online poll shows over 17 million Americans have impersonated Elvis Presley.

The Harris Interactive poll also shows nearly 72 million have seen an impersonator of the King.

The survey of 2,000 adults found male impersonators outnumber females by a ratio of two to one.

It also found nearly a third of Americans have bought Elvis records, CDs or videos and 10% have visited Graceland.

The poll also shows 5% saw him perform live.

He died on August 16 1977.

Story filed: 10:23 Tuesday 13th August 2002

A toast to elvis

As posted in Ananova

Artist makes giant Elvis portrait from toast

A New Zealand artist has made a giant portrait of Elvis Presley from over 4,000 small slices of toast.

Maurice Bennett's previous toast portraits include da Vinci's Mona Lisa and rugby player Jonah Lomu.

He spent two months making the Presley piece to mark the 25th anniversary of his death.

On his website he says he produces the effect by toasting bread "to different tones to create skin highlights and shadow."

The portrait will go on show at the Walrus Gallery in Wellington in September.

Story filed: 10:15 Tuesday 13th August 2002

Maybe cheeseburgers would have been better (too easy!):D

If he ain't dead he sure is rich!

As posted in Ananova

Elvis is leading dead money-maker

Elvis Presley sales totalled million in the last year.

He leads the list of the top-earning dead celebrities for the second year running.

According to Forbes Magazine, Peanuts creator Charles Schulz is number two with million in earnings.

The JXL remix of Elvis's A Little Less Conversation made million.

John Lennon and racing driver Dale Earnhardt, who's new to the list this year, both made million in the year to June 2002.

Also new on the list are former Beatle George Harrison with million in earnings, rapper Tupac Shakur with million, and author Robert Ludlum with million.

Forbes reporters determined the top dead earners by looking at estates, interviewing lawyers and surviving family members, and calculating pretax earnings to the estates from licensing agreements and book and record sales.

Story filed: 09:52 Tuesday 13th August 2002

Britain doesn't escape Elvis Plague...

As posted in Ananova

Elvis: King of the tribute acts

Elvis Presley has been named king of the tribute acts with a survey finding him the most imitated star in the UK.

He is the number one most copied act on the club and concert circuit, ahead of the Beatles and Abba.

All over the UK fans will be paying tribute to the star who died at the age of 42 at his Memphis home in 1977, but still commands huge loyalty.

The charismatic singer's allure still draws vast numbers to watch a vast army of impersonators in pubs, bars and even Chinese restaurants across Britain.

The findings come from research by the Performing Rights Society - which monitors live performances to collect royalty payments.

John Cooter, who commissioned the survey, said: "The less famous names who wrote songs for Elvis continue to benefit from their songs being introduced to new audiences."

The most popular Presley classic performed by any live act in the UK was Wonder Of You, with Can't Help Falling In Love the runner-up.

Hundreds of his fans are gathering in Blackpool for a major three-day convention in his honour.

Dozens of lookalikes are expected and a prize-winning couple are to be married with a number of impersonators performing including singer Johnny Earle.

The interest in Presley comes just weeks after he topped the charts with A Little Less Conversation. It put him ahead of The Beatles with the highest number of UK chart-toppers after tying with them for a quarter of a century on 17 each.

Story filed: 00:03 Friday 16th August 2002

I need to find a smiley with a raised lip and a quiff.

Wedding Photos

As posted in Ananova

Elvis-mad couple tie the knot Las Vegas style

An Elvis-mad couple have married in an Elvis-themed wedding after winning a national competition.

Dani Leighton and Juliette Massey's Elvis Wedding of the Century took place at the Winter Gardens in Blackpool, on the 25th anniversary of Presley's death.

The Manchester couple had Elvis impersonators as the best men, and bridesmaids included lookalikes of Priscilla Presley and Marilyn Monroe.

The ceremony was performed by Emerald Elvis Mark Leen and the couple said the vows: "I promise that I am going to love you tender. I'll never put you through heartbreak hotel.

"So if you treat me nice and don't give me any suspicious minds I will love you from rags to riches. So love me forever my darling whether it's midnight or in the early morning rain. I want you, I need you, I love you because I just cannot help falling in love with you."

Speaking after the ceremony the couple, who have been together 10 years and have a five-year-old daughter Holly-Mai, said it was "absolutely fantastic."

Dani, 31, said: "It's been pretty amazing. When he rolled off all the Elvis songs in the vows it was superb." Juliette, 34, added: "It's been fantastic and we have had so much fun. The whole thing has taken our breath away."

The newlyweds were then driven to the airport to fly to Las Vegas for a second wedding ceremony at the Viva Las Vegas Wedding Chapel.

Today's wedding kick-started the Elvis Experience weekend in Blackpool, where thousands of fans will descend on the seaside town to pay tribute to Presley.

Special guest at the wedding was Elvis's step-brother David Stanley, who had flown in from the US. Mr Stanley's mother Bee married Presley's widowed father Vernon, in July 1960.

Story filed: 10:47 Friday 16th August 2002

Disturbingly from the accompanying photo of the article, you can't tell which of the jumpsuited impersonators is the groom...not that it makes any difference.

You can tell who would win the burger eating contest though

:cross eye

Back