• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Elvis Presley

T.C.B., baby.
Taking care of brambles...

I can't seem to get the other Youtube videos working .. conspiracy! conspiracy! ;)

The 40th Anniversary of the passing of Elvis approaches (16 August 1977) - and there' a couple of things worth mentioning.
a) The book Elvis was reading on the toilet when <s>it</s> he died was "A Scientific Search for the Face of Jesus" - about the Shroud of Turin. How very Fortean.

b) Here's an alternative version of how Elvis was "discovered" - as related to Lux Interior of The Cramps by one of Sam Phillips' sons (allegedly...):

Elvis did have this one piece of luck. His mother, right, had a really bad weight problem and the doctor prescribed her this enormous supply of diet pills which just happened to be… these pills were just pure benzedrine, right, which is a very potent form of speed. And all those Sun guys just lived on speed, man. So when Phillips found out that Elvis could get bottles of these things, he let him hang around.

Source: http://dangerousminds.net/comments/that_one_time_elvis_died

Last edited:
The 40th Anniversary of the passing of Elvis approaches (16 August 1977) - and there' a couple of things worth mentioning.

a) The book Elvis was reading on the toilet when it died was "A Scientific Search for the Face of Jesus" - about the Shroud of Turin. How very Fortean.

I didn't realise the toilet died as well ! :p

Elvis was not on the toilet when he died, that's an urban myth. He was in his (large) bathroom, however, on a chair reading the aforementioned book.

Well, it's 40 years tomorrow - and the 10 year Anniversary of this thread! :party:

Here's something about Elvis that at least I didn't know:

Elvis Presley’s adventures in yoga and Eastern mysticism

In the spring of 1964, Elvis’ hairdresser, Larry Geller, introduced him to the teachings of Paramahansa Yogananda. The founder of the Self-Realization Fellowship had a lasting impact on Elvis, who often visited the SRF’s Mt. Washington headquarters and Pacific Palisades retreat during his Hollywood years, and developed a close relationship with Yogananda’s successor, Sri Daya Mata.

Priscilla did not welcome the arrival of cosmic consciousness in her life with the King.

You can read the whole story here: http://dangerousminds.net/comments/elvis_presleys_adventures_in_yoga_and_eastern_mysticism

Nice to see there are others looking forward to Bubba Nosferatu as much as me!

... And 10 years later, 'looking forward' is all you have to look forward to ...

According to IMDb:

As part of his question and answer session after screening My Name Is Bruce (2007), Bruce Campbell said that he will not be returning as Elvis for this film as he and director Don Coscarelli "couldn't agree on what the movie should be about".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0457295/

... Elvis is pretty unique in having so many people not only obsessed with him, but that impersonate him, in many cases eerily well (and in many others entertainingly hopeless :).)
He's almost his own bardic tradition, his memory handed down by word of mouth.

I was in the twilight phase of my professional music side-career when Elvis died. The group I was gigging with (fronted by an older musician whose hero was Elvis) was approached by multiple Elvis impersonators, who suddenly seemed to emerge sequin-covered from the very woodwork.

We ended up agreeing to be the backing band for one of these impersonators. He was a fast-talking businessman who was on a mission to emulate Elvis. He was a bit too tall, but that only helped the mythic aspect. He did have a good singing voice in the right range, so he wasn't a totally ludicrous candidate.

He had Elvis costuming custom made for himself. There were tales of personal visions and consultations with seers / psychics / fortune tellers, all of whom had convinced him this was his mystic mission. He was utterly convinced it was his God-given duty to be the standard bearer for all things Elvis.

When he first auditioned with us (essentially at his own pressing request ... ) we (the band members) had an extended discussion / debate about whether to work with him (or, for that matter, the whole Elvis tribute craze in general). I was the odd man out, in that I opined he was a 'jerk' and it wouldn't end well.

Mere months later, the pseudo-Elvis went nova and imploded at a big concert show he / we were headlining. He'd been getting increasingly, well, weird as time went on and performing went to his already swollen head. An entourage had developed around him, and he was increasingly 'living the Elvis myth' to a degree that insinuated emotional instability.

That last night he was extremely off-putting to both the band and the audience. He repeatedly deviated from the sometimes elaborate song / medley arrangements and got increasingly heated that we weren't following suit at every unexpected turn, as if we were supposed to be psychic. The breaking point came when someone in the audience called out the name of an Elvis ballad (I forget which one, but it wasn't in our rehearsed repertoire). The Elvis wannabe told the audience he'd do it, then launched into counting down and beginning a song we didn't know and had never rehearsed.

I got up from my keyboard and walked off stage - the only time I'd ever done so in 2 decades of gigging - and retired to our band's bus. After a few minutes all the other band members climbed aboard, one by one, glum and / or angry. They unanimously assured me (a) the extemporaneous song had indeed been a total disaster; (b) the show had basically brought down the show itself (as opposed to 'the house'); and (c) I'd been right from the beginning - he was a certified jerk.

There were a lot of these guys surfacing in the wake of Elvis' death. My / our band's experience wasn't unique. It seemed the impersonators who were most committed ended up being the ones most in need of being committed.

:doh::roll:

How very weird. The Elvis impersonators I've heard of or seen are exponents of the Vegas Elvis style and are fully aware of the enormously kitsch value of the image. They're normally also comedians.

There's a brilliant local one who does the karate and the costume changes, has women up on stage to serenade and so on, all while doing a brilliant patter that changes from Deep South to South Manchester. I'm sure he really does respect the King but he keeps it light. Looks and sounds a lot like him. In his later years Elvis knew he'd become a parody of himself so it's probably quite close to one of his real shows.

Anyway, tomorrow it'll be FORTY years since Elvis' death.

How very weird. The Elvis impersonators I've heard of or seen are exponents of the Vegas Elvis style and are fully aware of the enormously kitsch value of the image. They're normally also comedians. ...

Yep ... These more recent and / or longer-term impersonators have been the relatively benign norm for a long time now. In the immediate wake of Elvis' death, though, there were mondo weird versions that were nothing short of creepy.

I was a lot younger then.

So was the age-progressed Elvis! :evillaugh:

Ten or more years ago:

65751fc655a57c01949dcfc4c96f62e9--age-progression-kurt-cobain.jpg

Nowadays:

Old Elvis 1 .jpg

That second photo - Feck! :zom:

Those age-progressions're all very well but they don't take into account how much plastic surgery well-off Americans have. He'd look like a Ken doll.

... Those age-progressions're all very well but they don't take into account how much plastic surgery well-off Americans have. He'd look like a Ken doll.

I think your expectations are still stuck a decade ago, when you started this thread. IMHO either of these might have been achievable back then in the very best case (so long as he didn't move much) ...

images900.jpg
Elvis aos 80 anos.jpg

Side Note: Would an aging Elvis have reverted to his natural childhood blond or teen medium brown hair color?

Anyway ... If this anniversary has dragged you down into the pits of Elvis deprivation, you can always go here:

... and get a supercharged dose of Mojo Nixon and Skid Roper doing Elvis is Everywhere (1987).

(It even has a Fortean-themed section ... )

Never understood all the fuss about him as a singer and musician.....mediocre talent imho.
I hope I didn't step on any toes of Elvis fans.

:)

btw...it's been 40 years../..

Elvis died shortly before my birth (no connection), and I certainly didn't 'get' the appeal until my mid-20s when a friend of mine revealed a hitherto unknown fascination for the man--the lore as much as anything else. I started to listen to his music--live performances predominantly--and what started as a rather arch and ironic enjoyment blossomed into honest respect for his talent and his magnetism.

Last edited:
I think your expectations are still stuck a decade ago, when you started this thread. IMHO either of these might have been achievable back then in the very best case (so long as he didn't move much) ...

View attachment 5697 View attachment 5698

Side Note: Would an aging Elvis have reverted to his natural childhood blond or teen medium brown hair color?
800px-Jon_Voight_2012.jpg

Yeah. I know it's John Voight.

... I certainly didn't 'get' the appeal until my mid-20s when a friend of mine revealed a hitherto unknown fascination for the man--the lore as much as anything else. I started to listen to his music--live performances predominantly--and what started as a rather arch and ironic enjoyment blossomed into honest respect for his talent and his magnetism.
Ditto. And I found he got better the further back you went.

Johnny Cash, heh, can't imagine him having the vanity to need enhancement! He is in a very small minority though.
I've read that doing the lighting for fillums mainly involves trying one's best not to show how 'hideous' the actors look with their faces full of silicone.

I found this a fascinating article in the light of today's disconnect between the media and, well, a lot of people:

Elvis’s death was a perfect example: The media doesn’t understand Middle America

In 1977, before cable news or the Internet, the nightly news broadcasts of CBS, NBC and ABC were at their zenith. Newspapers were enjoying their most prosperous years. But in newsrooms across America, and particularly in the media mecca of New York, Presley was barely on the radar. If they regarded him at all, it was as a 1950s icon.

Elvis was only 42, so his passing was unexpected. But what really surprised journalists was the national reaction to Presley’s death. To them, his influence had ended when the Beatles hit the scene. But as the afternoon of Aug. 16, 1977, progressed, they couldn’t ignore the grass-roots rumblings. Tens of thousands began trekking to Memphis, some walking off their jobs. Newsroom phone lines were burning up with people seeking more information.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...l?tid=a_classic-iphone&utm_term=.5bd45218d025

Back