• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Emergency contact

sjwk0

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I've been sent the following by email. On the face of it, it could be a good idea. However, I don't know whether it is genuine or a chain letter. It fits the methodology of the latter: asking you to forward it to everyone in your addressbook and so on. I don't think it really comes from the Ambulance Service, but it still has potential for being a good idea - certainly more use than collecting bottle tops to put a child into space or whatever.

>  Following the disaster in London . .. .
>
> East Anglian Ambulance Service have launched a national "In case of
> Emergency ( ICE ) " campaign with the support of Falklands war hero
> Simon Weston.
>
> The idea is that you store the word " I C E " in your mobile phone
> address book, and against it enter the number of the person you would
> want to be contacted "In Case of Emergency".
>
> In an emergency situation ambulance and hospital staff will then be
> able to quickly find out who your next of kin are and be able to
> contact them. It's so simple that everyone can do it. Please do.
>
> Please will you also email this to everybody in your address book, it
> won't take too many 'forwards' before everybody will know about this.
> It really could save your life, or put a loved one's mind at rest.
>
> For more than one contact name ICE1, ICE2, ICE3 etc.

They were talking about it on Virgin radio. I don't know if it truly is from the Ambulance Services, but they also said that whether it was or not, it's a bloody good idea.

Who cares where it came from? By the time it's done the rounds everyone will know about ICE so it HAS to be a good thing. My line manager at work sent it round so at least everyone I work with will know who to contact!!!

er... i don't know, but i stored my most important numbers as a, aa, aaa, so they're easier for me to find and everybody opening my cellphone will see them first. i think it's more immediate than looking for ICE ar any other meaningless acronyms.

so what happens to us poor souls who obstinately continue to resist acquiring a mobile phone? Tattoo on the chest perhaps?

So how is ICE easier to find than "Mum", say?

And what if you just happen to have Vanilla Ice's number in your phone, but don't count him as your next of kin?

I was sure I'd seen a similar UL circulated a while back but it seems above board:

18 April 2005
Vodafone UK

VODAFONE LAUNCH ANNUAL LIFE SAVERS AWARDS WITH NATIONAL ‘ICE’ AWARENESS CAMPAIGN

The Vodafone Life Savers Awards – which honour men and women who have saved a life in extraordinary circumstances - are launched today with a campaign to urge everyone in Britain to store next of kin details in their mobile phones.

By entering the letters ICE – ‘In Case of Emergency’ – into the mobile’s phone book, users can log the name and number of someone who should be contacted in an emergency.

The idea, developed by the East Anglian Ambulance Trust, and backed by Vodafone, follows research that shows a staggering eight out of 10 of us fail to carry any details of who we would like telephoned following a serious accident.

Vodafone spokesperson, Ally Stevens, said : “The Life Savers Awards already demonstrate, through practical example, the important role a mobile phone can play when minutes matter in an emergency.

“By adopting the ICE advice, your mobile will now also help the rescue services quickly contact a friend or relative – which could be vital in a life or death situation.”

Paramedic Bob Brotchie approached his bosses at the East Anglian Ambulance Trust with the simple idea after discovering most accident victims carried no next of kin contact number.

“In an emergency, where the patient is shocked or unconscious, we need to find out as quickly as possible who we’re dealing with”, he said.

“The majority of people now carry mobile phones - so the ICE number would give emergency services immediate access to someone who knows the casualty – perhaps even their medical record - making everyone’s job easier.”

The campaign is also asking people to think carefully about who will be their ICE partner - with helpful advice on who to choose - particularly if that person has to give consent for emergency medical treatment.

Vodafone is now inviting all emergency services to promote ICE in their area as part of a national awareness campaign to highlight the importance of carrying next of kin details at all times.

“Nothing is worse than discovering a loved one has been in a serious accident – but you didn’t know about it at the time”, added Ms Stevens.

“With nine out of 10 people telling us they carry their mobile phone at all times, and a further half admitting one of the reasons for originally purchasing it was in case of an emergency, ICE is just another way in which a mobile phone can play a vital role in your life – and perhaps even save it.”

This year’s Vodafone Life Savers Awards, endorsed by the Royal Humane Society, will be inviting nominations from the emergency services as well as members of the public who have saved a life.

Celebrity judges include Falklands war hero Simon Weston, This Morning TV presenters Fern Britton and Philip Schofield, Claire Sweeney, Martin Kemp, Nell McAndrew, Jane Asher and Michael Buerk.

Last year’s winners included Bruce Hosie from Aberdeen who defied experts by lifting the weight of a car with his bare hands to rescue a trapped child and Corporal Darren Swift who single-handedly rescued an injured climber from the summit of Mount Everest.

Commenting on the ICE campaign, judge Simon Weston said: “The whole idea is brilliant, purely and simply because of modern lifestyles. People find themselves in all different circumstances and if you’re in an accident, unable to communicate.

“So ICE is just so sensible a project and campaign. I wholly endorse it and I also feel privileged to be involved in the Vodafone Life Savers Awards again this year.”

The 2005 Life Savers will be honoured by the Prime Minister at a special reception at Number 10 this Autumn before receiving their awards at a star-studded luncheon at London’s famous Savoy hotel.

Helping launch the awards Prime Minister Tony Blair said : “I am delighted to support the fourth year of the Life Savers Awards. The prospect of risking one's own life to save another requires a huge strength of will.

“The brave people who have been previously nominated for these Awards have shown themselves to be true heroes, who do not need to think twice when faced with a life or death situation. They are fantastic examples of courage and fortitude and must never be undervalued - they are a true asset to this proud nation.”

Nominations can be made by contacting the awards hotline on 0870 902 3333 or visiting www.lifesavers.co.uk/lifesavers.

***HOW TO ACTIVATE ICE***

Simply go to ‘Contacts’, select ‘Add New Contact’, enter the letters ‘ICE’ under the name followed by the telephone number of your next of kin (ensure both daytime and evening numbers are included if possible)

ICE ADVICE

Make sure the person whose name and number you are giving has agreed to be your ICE partner

Make sure your ICE partner has a list of people they should contact on your behalf – including your place of work

Make sure your ICE partner’s number is one that’s easy to contact, for example a home number could be useless in an emergency if the person works full time

Make sure your ICE partner knows about any medical conditions that could affect your emergency treatment – for example allergies or current medication

Make sure if you are Under 18, your ICE partner is either your mother or father or an immediate member of your family authorised to make decisions on your behalf – for example if you need a life or death operation

Source

101 said:

And what if you just happen to have Vanilla Ice's number in your phone, but don't count him as your next of kin?
What if you don't want your mother to be contacted - if she might over-react, for example?

Besides, surely if you had Vanilla Ice on your phone, you'd list him as "Ice Ice Baby!"?

I'm a bit of a neanderthal & have resisted the urge to get a mobile phone.
I could be wrong but don't mobiles have a code lock on them to stop unauthorised use ? How would the emergency services get past this?

The locks can be over-ridden. And if it's on, the main lock is usually just a keypad lock which doesn't have a code.

Maybe it won't work in all circumstances, but it can't hurt.

anome said:
101 said:

What if you don't want your mother to be contacted - if she might over-react, for example?

I suppose thats the beauty of it - usually they would have to ring Mum, Dad or Home but you can use this to specify someone who would be able to deal with it.

davidYowie said:
I'm a bit of a neanderthal & have resisted the urge to get a mobile phone.
I could be wrong but don't mobiles have a code lock on them to stop unauthorised use ? How would the emergency services get past this?

The lock is just to stop you phoning your mother during sex or something and is only designed to stop accidental key presses and has instructions on the screen so most people could use your phone in an emergency.

I got this email, went to the East Anglian Ambulance Service website and couldn't confirm it, and so 'returned to sender' saying 'nice idea are you sure it's not spam?'

So I subsequently researched further, DID find it (eventually) on the East Anglian Ambulance Service website and even found a poster for it.

So I had to sheepishly go back and apologise to the sender.

I think it's a decent idea if enough people do it and know about it. For it to sound like a real thing and not like spam though I think it needs some proper ownership (East Anglian Ambulance Service???) and preferably its own website. Otherwise cynics like me risk embarrassment!

light said:
so what happens to us poor souls who obstinately continue to resist acquiring a mobile phone? Tattoo on the chest perhaps?

How about putting something in your wallet/purse, im diabetic and have a card stating such in my wallet, have for years.

Thanks PaZZa, why on earth didn't I think of that? :oops:

But I guess really I was just objecting to the assumption that everyone owns a mobile phone. I get abuse from friends for being so inconsiderate as to not have a mobile, so I tend to get a little defensive.

It seems to be catching on

Mobiles 999 contact idea spreads
A campaign encouraging people to store personal details on their mobile phones to help identify victims of accidents and disasters has taken off since the bomb attacks in London.
Users are being urged to enter a number in their phone's memory under the heading ICE - In Case of Emergency.

Paramedics or police would then be able to use it to contact a relative.

The idea is the brainchild of East Anglian Ambulance Service paramedic Bob Brotchie and was launched in May.

Idea spreads

Mr Brotchie told Radio 4's Today programme: "I was reflecting on some difficult calls I've attended, where people were unable to speak to me through injury or illness and we were unable to find out who they were.

"I discovered that many people, obviously, carry mobile phones and we were using them to discover who they were.

"It occurred to me that if we had a uniform approach to searching inside a mobile phone for an emergency contact then that would make it easier for everyone."

Mr Brotchie said his idea had spread as far as the USA and Australia and had gathered pace since the 7 July attacks.

He has urged mobile manufacturers to take it on board by adding ICE headings to phones before they are sold.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4674331.stm

I'll bet you penny to a pound that some poor soul won't quite get it and will store:

ICE: 999

Just received this email:

Subject: Virus ICE Warning URGENT!!!!

Blimey!!! Just passing on in case it is true.

Subject: Virus ICE Warning

Well we thought it was a good idea....

Hello All,

You know the email that's gone round saying put ICE then a contact
number in case of emergency? Well don't do it cos....

Be very careful with this one - although the intention is great it is unfortunately phase one of a phone based virus that is laying a path
for propagating very quickly. Passing it on is part of the virus interestingly, such is the deviousness of the people who write these things.

We have already seen the "second phase" where a program is sent as
part of a ring-tone download that goes into your address book and looks for something it recognises - you've guessed it, an address book entry marked "ICE or I.C.E." or whatever. It then sends itself to the "ICE list", charging you for the privilege.

Edited for readability

Heard that at work too...

Sounds like absolute guff to me - but does anyone have any proof that I can use to lord it around the office making out that I know everything about everything?

Can't see how it would make sense, but then, tucking your trackie bottoms into your socks doesn't make sense either, and plenty of people round here do that....

It's malicious bollocks, there was an item on Radio 4 a few of days back, with the person who originated the idea. Also reported the hoax email that M_P333 quoted

Sorry, can't give you an exact reference.

What's malicious bollocks--the ICE idea itself or the phone virus? I know Global News did a story on this past week but *you* try looking up "ice" in Canadian news sources the same week as the hockey draft. :p

Sorry, the phone virus story is.

The ICE idea actually came from a paramedic.

Back