• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Eminem: Prepare For The Downfall

Got it, AndroMan, and I mostly agree.

The bean counters are always going to want to make it safe, and play it safe for profit's sake. Pat Boone, for all we know, may have thought he was rocking his ass off. Needless to say, he wasn't!

Anyway, we were pretty much forcefully arguing the same point. I love it. :D

Very true...

Please don't let the BBC or ITV start 'Rap Academy'. I can see it now - students spend six weeks living in a specially-designed ghetto, learning to 'keep it real'.

Rap Game UK is a current BbC3 show :)

I think for the most part rap over here is full of violence and nonsense, racial slurs and disrespect, especially towards women, it's just nonsense.
Eminem did bring some class to it.
I stopped listening to rap in the late 80's exactly because of the points you've made. It was all boasting about 'bitches' 'ho's' 'money' 'gold' 'drugs' etc etc .. it had completely changed from early hip hop. I just got into early rave instead then Eminem came along, before that Buster Rhymes. They had more class I strongly agree. Plus a lot more talent in rhyme design. Pluss they weren't 'assholes'.

I stopped listening to rap in the late 80's exactly because of the points you've made. It was all boasting about 'bitches' 'ho's' 'money' 'gold' 'drugs' etc etc .. it had completely changed from early hip hop. I just got into early rave instead then Eminem came along, before that Buster Rhymes. They had more class I strongly agree. Plus a lot more talent in rhyme design. Pluss they weren't 'assholes'.
Still don't understand how back in the 90s/early-00's Radio 1 here in the UK squared its BBC leftist values of diversity, feminism and LGBT rights with also promoting rap artists that featured misogynistic and homophobic lyrics...

Still don't understand how back in the 90s/early-00's Radio 1 here in the UK squared its BBC leftist values of diversity, feminism and LGBT rights with also promoting rap artists that featured misogynistic and homophobic lyrics...
I think it was all about the 'artiste' and nobody ever really bothered to listen to the lyrics.

I remember in the mid to late 90's, driving along with my kids in the car, them all singing along to some currently-popular rap song on the radio. I, in my usual parental spirit of 'spoil their fun', said 'have you actually listened to the words of this?'

There was some embarrassed throat clearing, and the radio went off. The girls, particularly, understood what I was getting at.

Like a lot of genres, rap is not monolithic, there is a strong strong and long history of rap focused on political and social issues... that doesnt get radio airplay for some reason...

This didn't get airplay for some reason....

I would really prefer not to tell you what's going on in my head right now.

I really wanna know. I'm not going to hold it against you, I promise I'm a big boy, I can handle it, just tell me what's going on in your head...

Mr. Chambers, don't get on that ship! The rest of the book, to serve man, it's- it's a cook book!

That's not a hand, it's a claw
And this is not a song, it's an exorcism of numbness
We are not in my bedroom anymore, it's a prison camp that I've been stuck in
This isn't skin, it's a scramble suit with a thousand me's rotating
That's not your mouth, that's a boredom generator powered by irritation
We aren't a couple, we're isolationists who to try to use the buddy system
And that wasn't sex, it was a competition for power that I'm clearly winning
But that's not victory, matter of fact I think I'm better off forfeiting
You go for de gold, girl, I'm about to bounce out to Deadwoods Hills for cleaner living
And I really do

I hope it all works out like you want it to

This is not Brooklyn, it's a colony of wayward bees without a queen
And we're not people, we're like Sims controlled by childish deities
But see we're alive now and it's not time we're wasting here
Nah this is life and you're so (pretty)
Like the gleam off that blade when you slipped my ribs the shivy
This ain't a break up, I like to think of it as a stay of execution
And that's not the air I'm clearing, it's the wispy trails of our cumulus pollution
And that's not despair you're feeling, it's the petulant reaction of a wounded child
And that's not the door I'm looking at, it's an escape hatch to the zeppelin we're inside
And I really do

I hope it all works out like you want it to

You're not a woman, you're a piranha with cutlery for dentured up smile
And I'm not a man, I'm an incomplete punchline of a joke I don't understand
That's not your diary, it's a cook book and I'm your favourite chapter when you're bored
And that's not a love letter, it's a recipe for the same slop you served before
This ain't an insult, it's the clearest truth I've ever had the misery to speak
These aren't words, these are the terms of my surrender and defeat
But I'm not sorry beyond the sorry nature of existing with no plans
Please don't touch me, just wave goodbye with that claw that not's a hand
Did I mention that...

I hope it all works out like you want it to and I really do...

Back