Emoticons

jefflovestone

Justified & Ancient
Whatever happened to the idea of this site having it's own set of emoticons/Forticons? Wasn't someone designing some at some point?

I really dislike the set provided on this board. Common ones such as 'smile' actually look more like 'sinister paedophile'. Some are just confusing. The surprised one doesn't look that surprised, more slack-jawed. The 'kiss' one looks like shes trying to say something without actually saying and is merely mouthing the words like older people do with the word 'cancer' or anything vaguely gynaecological.

Stylistically, it's a real mish-mash and it's obvious that emoticons have originated from different places. Frankly, it's like having a great colouring book but a shit selection of felt-tip pens.

I know some people will undoubtedly frown upon the use of emoticons, however not only are they here to stay, they are a staple and a convention of not just the internet and how people communicate in general these days. They're not necessarily a symptom of lazy-itis as they can actually add clarity to written communication.

mindalai

Abominable Snowman
A smiley used properly can be worth a thousand words.

By the way, I love this one: :eek:

jefflovestone

Justified & Ancient
mindalai said:
A smiley used properly can be worth a thousand words.
Yes, I agree. Telly Savalas was onto something when he said 'if an emoticon is worth a 1000 words, then why can't I type you?' Or something.

I disagree entirely and with a decent emoticon I'd emphasise the point! At an iconic level I can't really tell what it is: a semiotic 'Arthur or Martha' situation.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
On another board, there is a choice of two 'mooning' smileys. I use them a lot. :D

mindalai

Abominable Snowman
jefflovestone said:
mindalai said:
I disagree entirely and with a decent emoticon I'd emphasise the point! At an iconic level I can't really tell what it is: a semiotic 'Arthur or Martha' situation.
That's why I love it! You can't tell if it's horrified because its mother's walked in on it in a compromising situation with a gerbil or if it's just realised it left the gas on at home.

jefflovestone

Justified & Ancient
mindalai said:
jefflovestone said:
mindalai said:
That's why I love it! You can't tell if it's horrified because its mother's walked in on it in a compromising situation with a gerbil or if it's just realised it left the gas on at home.
But the mouth is just wrong for anything like surprise or concern, it's like it's ready to bite a big pie or something.

I don't think the plan was to replace the existing smilies but to add a few extra ones.

I have to say the current ones are OK (I've seen far worse) although I prefered the old ones. However, it is technically possible to replace the current set. I don't have the ability to do it but if there was a lot of call for it then I suspect we could try and twist Al's arm.

It'd need to be another set on a free to use license that we could agree to or someone with talent could give making a new set a shot (but it is trickier than it looks and a lot of attempts don't turn out so well.

OldTimeRadio

Antediluvian
I've never used (or even liked) emoticons or anything else of that ilk, with the exception of the old standard <g>, which I think IS neccessary.

However, if there WERE genuinely FORTEAN emoticons I'm fairly certain that I WOULD use them regularly.

A

Anonymous

OldTimeRadio said:
...the old standard <g>, which I think IS necessary.
I can't find a reference to <g> anywhere, although (g) stands for 'gift'.

What does it mean?

Leaferne

Justified & Ancient
I rarely use <g> or *g* after being on a newsgroup with a prolific poster who seemed to use it after every second sentence. ;)

oll_lewis

Justified & Ancient
I recall back in the mists of time I hunted out a load of extra ones that could be used for the board such as one that depicted the flogging of a dead horse, which would have come in handy for a few threads ;)

Why not ask the powers that be very nicely if they could get Hunt Emerson to draw up a few small pics, not necessarily limited to the traditional "I am a big yellow head" style of emoticons?
They need not even be animated, in fact IMO emoticons look better static if they are used in forum posts, and if he drew them on paper it'd only be the work of a few minutes for someone to scan them in.

Leaferne

Justified & Ancient
I absolutely hate those MSN style smilies; there's something dreadfully lame and overstated about them.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector

Ah success! Thanks to Wintermoon for those. Lots of new things to annoy those who hate emoticons. I quite like them. But you knew that. :D

escargot

Beloved of Ra
*browses 'Taunting Smileys' aisle*

Ah yes, one of those, and one of those, and... two of those!

fiktishus

Devoted Cultist
:)

hey! i haven't been around for a while (well, i have, but in stealth mode)...i did make a few fortean-type smilies a while back (2003).

here are a few:

i also came across a set of smilies the other day with loch ness monster, cthulu, m.i.b etc, i'll look for the link later.

feel free to use those smilies, but please upload them elsewhere. if you'd like me to make a few more, i can. just let me know.

akaWiintermoon

Abominable Snowman
fiktishus said:
:)

hey! i haven't been around for a while (well, i have, but in stealth mode)...i did make a few fortean-type smilies a while back (2003).

here are a few:

i also came across a set of smilies the other day with loch ness monster, cthulu, m.i.b etc, i'll look for the link later.

feel free to use those smilies, but please upload them elsewhere. if you'd like me to make a few more, i can. just let me know.
Ha, they're cute! :D Thanks. :yeay: Oh, and welcome back. :)

Gemaki

Ephemeral Spectre
People who post here have mastered 'copy and paste?!' Wow, what next? :roll:

Oh, nice site, Wintermoon!