• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The End Of The World '92/'93

sdoig

Junior Acolyte
Hello,

I remember turning up at school in either '92 or '93 and all anybody wanted to talk about was how the world was about to end that day.

The timing was very precise - half two or thereabouts

anyway, during French, we had all set our digital watches to go off during the moment of the end of the world. Of course we did, and I remember ending up with a detention for causing a disruption after shouting out "I'm alive!" or something like it.

Anyway, was this a 'global' event, or just a rumour from my school (Forfar Academy, angus, Scotland)

Hello,

I remember turning up at school in either '92 or '93 and all anybody wanted to talk about was how the world was about to end that day.

anyway, during French, we had all set our digital watches to go off during the moment of the end of the world. Of course we did, and I remember ending up with a detention for causing a disruption after shouting out "I'm alive!" or something like it.

Anyway, was this a 'global' event, or just a rumour from my school (Forfar Academy, angus, Scotland)

Do you recall the season?

There's this:

The Dami Mission (Korean: 다미선교회) was a Christian religious movement founded in South Korea by Lee Jang Rim (Korean: 이장림; Hanja: 李長林). It received worldwide attention after Lee predicted that the rapture and end of the world would occur on 28 October 1992. After the prediction failed Lee was convicted of defrauding his followers out of millions of dollars.
Source:​

But I can't begin to imagine how it could have filtered through to Scotland.

Nope , I cant recall what the season was unfortunately.

The Dami Mission doesn't ring a bell. Thanks though!

There were multiple millenial / Rapture events predicted for the period 1992 / 1993.

In addition, there was this ...

1993-NOV-11:
The 1993-JUL-20 issue of the Weekly World News contained an article titled "Doomsday Asteroids." Top scientists allegedly wrote a top-secret document which revealed that M-167, a known asteroid, would hit the earth on NOV-11 and perhaps end all life on earth. The M series of astronomical objects were catalogued by Messier: M-1 is the crab nebula; M-31 is the Andromeda galaxy; M-45 are the Pleiades. There is no M object with a number higher than M-110.

SOURCE: http://www.religioustolerance.org/end_wrl12.htm

We had a religious nut at my last place of work that predicted the end of the World on 2 or 3 occasions now long passed.
I do remember being sent home early from school one afternoon this would e in the late 50's early 60's as it had gone
as dark as night for no apparent reason, we lived in Bury north of Manchester at the time, a mate reminded me of this
a few years back and he lived in Chester so it must have been wide spread or maybe it happened there at different times,
Though it was unexpected at the time It was later referred to as a Dark Day though I have never seen mention of it since.

Cant remember the rain but it does sound like the same sort of thing.

Will have a read through that thread ta.

Hello,

Hi sdoig, this rings a bell with me. I can't pin down if it was '92 or '93 either but I'd gone around to a friends house in one of those two years, we used to hang around a lot at his house and his younger sister was very upset one day because she'd heard somewhere that earth was going to be hit by a comet soon and we were unkindly laughing about it .. '92 was the year me and her brother went to our first Glastonbury festival so I'm trying to remember now if this comet rumour was before or after that. This was in Staffordshire.

Spaceweather are today reporting a major collision between asteroids in the asteroid belt (where else ?). So maybe some bits will be coming our way.

INT21.

Wasn't the 93 one about Mother Shipton's prophecies?

Then there was the eclipse in 97 (why an eclipse being visible from the UK should be more ominous than the ones seen elsewhere in the world every day of the year never quite made sense...but there was a very articulate and sober man on This Morning explaining his absolute conviction that it marked the end times.)

Then it was July '99 because of Nostradamus (ignoring the fact his "prophecies" included specified years centuries into the future from now)

Then there was the year 2000...that seemed to be more about the second coming, presumably because Jesus is fond of big round numbers (why 2000 is more round than 1000 or 3000 was again not quite clear)

Then there was the Mayan thing ....

My guess is that 2033 will be the next Christian themed one on the basis that Jesus is imagined to have been 33 when he died, making THAT 2000 years.

Argentinian goalkeeper Carlos Roa turned down a move to Manchester United after the 1998 World Cup as he believed the world would end the following year...

I was a kid in the early 90s, and I'm sure I remember hearing in summer 1994 that the world was very soon coming to an end, to the point that BBC 1 would occasionally show a countdown among the trailers it showed between programmes. I remember wondering why nobody seemed scared or even interested that this was happening.
The nature of the impending doom as I remember it was that a huge meteor had hit Jupiter already, and a large piece had broken off of the gas giant and was heading our way.

My, what a multitude of ways to go!
Hello,

Maybe if you'd shouted, "je vive, vous vivez, nous vivons!" instead, the teacher wouldn't have been annoyed.

I was a kid in the early 90s, and I'm sure I remember hearing in summer 1994 that the world was very soon coming to an end, to the point that BBC 1 would occasionally show a countdown among the trailers it showed between programmes. I remember wondering why nobody seemed scared or even interested that this was happening.
The nature of the impending doom as I remember it was that a huge meteor had hit Jupiter already, and a large piece had broken off of the gas giant and was heading our way.

How very curious! I don't recall anything of the sort myself but I'd be interested to know more about this countdown etc shown on BBC1 (not least because I love anything to do with telly broadcasts, idents and the like).

I'm not quite clear from your post, did you see the countdown yourself or did you just hear others talking about it?

I'm also wondering - as clearly the disaster didn't happen in this reality (otherwise we wouldn't be discussing it now) - whether or not it was a real thing in a reality you were in, and you switched timelines. Yeah that's how my mind works. :)

Being an avid read of all things 'glitch in the matrix' I have to say it's not one I've come across re: other people having the same experience.

But my interest is definitely piqued.

Only other explanation I can think of is some sort of TV show that was on at the time. I know That Mitchell and Webb Look did their wonderful 'Quiz Broadcast' skit which included variations on Test Card F, but it was several years later than 1994, but I wonder if there was some other telly programme at the time, which did something with the BBC1 ident in a similar way to your countdown?

1555226042207.png

The Shoemaker-Levy comet crashing into Jupiter in July 1994 was met with great excitement as I remember, rather than impending doom.
But I did carve the date 2126 into a desk in 1992, as this was the predicted date (by many Tabloid papers) that the Swift Tuttle comet (source of the Perseid Shower) would wipe out life on Earth.

Plenty of sites on the Web with a roster of (failed) Apocalyptic Events in mark in your calendar. 1991-92 seemed quite quiet though.

http://www.abhota.info/end3.htm

I've personally been waiting for fashion designer Paco Rabanne to re-surface after he urged everyone to evacuate Paris, to avoid its obliteration by a falling MIR Space Station on August 11th 2000

Hello,

I was at school then. I definitely don’t remember this.

How very curious! I don't recall anything of the sort myself but I'd be interested to know more about this countdown etc shown on BBC1 (not least because I love anything to do with telly broadcasts, idents and the like).

I'm not quite clear from your post, did you see the countdown yourself or did you just hear others talking about it?
From what I remember (bearing in mind i was a child and it was a quarter of a century ago), the ident would show a CG animation of jupiter spinning, similar to how the regular bbc1 ident at the time would show a stylised globe of earth, though this wasn't stylised, it was a more realistic animation of jupiter floating in space with stars in the background, as if it were real), with text saying something like "jupiter countdown", in an all-lowercase, slightly futuristic font, and then underneath a digital clock with numbers in the same font, ticking down the weeks, days, hours, minutes and seconds. It was only shown for a few seconds at a time, and describing it now, it does sound like they were promoting an upcoming sci-fi show or movie premiere. But I was a pretty nerdy kid, so I think I'd have been aware of something like that coming in the near future.

Mr Zebra, upon me reading this thread out to him, immediately said to me "that was that comet in the 90s, they said it might have hit Earth if it didn't hit Jupiter". I pressed him on this and he wasn't sure whether they mentioned Earth being in danger before it hit Jupiter; but he thinks it was afterwards (as in: "good job it hit Jupiter otherwise it might have got us" sort of thing.

This does now make me feel even more strongly that there could be an alternate timeline where the Earth was in danger from this event, which could have led up to...

From what I remember (bearing in mind i was a child and it was a quarter of a century ago), the ident would show a CG animation of jupiter spinning, similar to how the regular bbc1 ident at the time would show a stylised globe of earth, though this wasn't stylised, it was a more realistic animation of jupiter floating in space with stars in the background, as if it were real), with text saying something like "jupiter countdown", in an all-lowercase, slightly futuristic font, and then underneath a digital clock with numbers in the same font, ticking down the weeks, days, hours, minutes and seconds. It was only shown for a few seconds at a time, and describing it now, it does sound like they were promoting an upcoming sci-fi show or movie premiere. But I was a pretty nerdy kid, so I think I'd have been aware of something like that coming in the near future.

... this. How utterly fascinating and thank you for the excellent description. I would have loved to see it.

Well, not... loved to see it, given what it would have signified. But you know what I mean.

Mr Zebra, upon me reading this thread out to him, immediately said to me "that was that comet in the 90s, they said it might have hit Earth if it didn't hit Jupiter". I pressed him on this and he wasn't sure whether they mentioned Earth being in danger before it hit Jupiter; but he thinks it was afterwards (as in: "good job it hit Jupiter otherwise it might have got us" sort of thing. ....

That was Shoemaker-Levy 9, it was was ripped by tidal force during a pass of Jupiter in 1992, then the fragments hit Jupiter around 16 July '94. The Hubble Telescope and other telescopes got some pretty good images - it was the first direct observation of a comet striking a planet. There was a shop on Farringdon Road, just up from Farringdon Station, that sold scientific instruments, and had a display of telescopes in its window, and were running promotion about viewing the event for yourself, I passed it a few times on the way to rehearsals. The shop's long gone, probably a coffee bar these days.
I think the only way Shoemaker-Levy would have come near us is if Jupiter hadn't been there at all.
The internet was pretty embryonic at that stage so the predictions of TEOTW, weren't out there so much (though they were around).

Was this the Annie Mason?

EDIT: Sorry Bad Bungle I've just realised that I've more or less repeated what you said. My Bad!

Last edited:
That was Shoemaker-Levy 9, it was was ripped by tidal force during a pass of Jupiter in 1992, then the fragments hit Jupiter around 16 July '94. The Hubble Telescope and other telescopes got some pretty good images - it was the first direct observation of a comet striking a planet. There was a shop on Farringdon Road, just up from Farringdon Station, that sold scientific instruments, and had a display of telescopes in its window, and were running promotion about viewing the event for yourself, I passed it a few times on the way to rehearsals. The shop's long gone, probably a coffee bar these days.
I think the only way Shoemaker-Levy would have come near us is if Jupiter hadn't been there at all.
The internet was pretty embryonic at that stage so the predictions of TEOTW, weren't out there so much (though they were around).

Was this the Annie Mason?

EDIT: Sorry Bad Bungle I've just realised that I've more or less repeated what you said. My Bad!

Well done for finding that - I vaguely remember the event but not that there was the BBC animation like that.

:clap:

Apophis again? Stargate SG-1 always had problems with Apophis!

19,000 miles is scarily close.

Back