• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Endurance In Extremity (Tales Of Stubborn Survival Or Persistence)

Seven weeks at sea in a hut.
. . .
He had been working as a keeper on a floating fish trap called a rompong, anchored to the seabed around 75 miles off the Indonesian coast, when unusually strong winds broke his mooring ropes on 19 July, sending the wooden hut adrift.
And I bet he didn't get paid overtime either.

But did she get overtime pay?

Reminds me that when Titanic sank its crew were paid up to the minute the icy Atlantic waters closed over it forever.
After that, no ship: no pay. Manning lifeboats and rescuing survivors didn't count.

So no, I bet she didn't, and she was also probably expected to clean up any mess she made.

Scary stuff this quicksand.

An Arizona man visiting Zion National Park over President's Day weekend got caught in quicksand and spent the better part of 2 days in extreme winter conditions before he was freed by rescue crews.

34-year-old Ryan Osmun was hiking with his companion in the left fork trail of the North Creek, also known as The Subway route, Saturday afternoon. His leg was buried up to his knee, according to a news release. Though he and his companion tried several times to free his leg, they were unsuccessful.

"At that point, I started to panic a little bit and got scared," Osmun said in an interview with Good Morning Arizona. Osmund's story and interview have become national news, and he described in-depth how it felt to be trapped.

"The best way to describe it would be standing in a huge puddle of concrete that basically just dries instantly," Osmun said. "Just a quick as you could move it, the sand would refill. There's no chance of it moving at all."

https://eu.thespectrum.com/story/ne...pped-quicksand-zion-national-park/2905187002/

Reminds me that when Titanic sank its crew were paid up to the minute the icy Atlantic waters closed over it forever.
After that, no ship: no pay. Manning lifeboats and rescuing survivors didn't count.

From the message board Encyclopedia Titanica:

“The story of the pay that stopped when the ship sank is only half true.

It was the usual rule that pay stopped when a ship sank. It was not something peculiar to White Star. In fact, after some discussions with the unions, White Star agreed to pay the surviving crew for the entire time they spent away from England. It appears on the Account of Wages forms as a bonus of so many days' pay. Most of the survivors got a bonus of 13 days, as they returned to England on Lapland on April 28th. Those who stayed in the US for the Senate inquiry got a good deal more. You'll find the documents on this in Titanic Voices.

It's a little-known fact that the dependents of the deceased crew received payments of up to £300 under the Workmen's Compensation Act. These payments were made quite promptly. White Star also retrieved as many bodies from the sea as possible, thought it was under no obligation to do so. The company also provided headstones and paid for the maintainance of the graves.

White Star was not run by angels, but it was not the heartless corporate monster that it's often made out to be.”

rmaximus otter

Fortunately he didn't put the sauce on the dog.

An Oregon man may have a good argument for not cleaning out your car.

Jeremy Taylor told authorities that he and his dog survived by eating packets of taco sauce as they were trapped by snow in his vehicle for five days. The 36-year-old, who goes offroading in the area, said he drove up west of the resort community of Sunriver with his dog, Ally, when his SUV became stuck in snow last Sunday, the Deschutes County Sheriff’s Office said. He spent the night in his vehicle and attempted to walk for help on Monday, but had difficulty because of the amount of snow that had fallen, authorities said.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/man-...cid=newsltushpmgnews__TheMorningEmail__030419

Text across the Atlantic saves pilot but his friend dies.

A British pilot has described how he regained consciousness after a crash in the northern Canadian wilderness and then texted his wife in Europe to alert rescuers.

Sam Rutherford, 47, was trapped in the aircraft as it teetered on a mountainside in a blizzard, with his flying companion fatally injured beside him. A nine-man team climbed from Makkovik on the north coast of Labrador to search for the men after their single-engine Piper Malibu struck the mountain. Alan Simpson, 73, a Shropshire farmer who owned the aircraft, survived the initial impact but died during the rescue attempt.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...a-wilderness-after-texting-his-wife-6kqf80nt6

Hardly an uplifting experience.

A cleaner trapped in a lift for two days was only found after she was reported missing.

The woman in her 50s, who has not been named, got trapped at Margate Adult Education Centre in Kent after the building closed last Friday. She was reported missing at 12:45 BST on Sunday and police found her at the council building. Officers were able to open the lift and free her. She was taken to a local hospital as a precaution. Kent County Council (KCC) said it was contacted on Tuesday by Kier Facilities Management, which is cleans and maintains the building, with a report that a member of its staff had been trapped in the lift.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-kent-48212853

Hardly an uplifting experience.

A cleaner trapped in a lift for two days was only found after she was reported missing.

The woman in her 50s, who has not been named, got trapped at Margate Adult Education Centre in Kent after the building closed last Friday. She was reported missing at 12:45 BST on Sunday and police found her at the council building. Officers were able to open the lift and free her. She was taken to a local hospital as a precaution. Kent County Council (KCC) said it was contacted on Tuesday by Kier Facilities Management, which is cleans and maintains the building, with a report that a member of its staff had been trapped in the lift.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-kent-48212853

When I read this I'd collapsed on the sofa after work and watched my very favourite Tales of the Unexpected episode. With the lift.

Where the woman is alway kept waiting by her ignorant husband because he knows she's obsessed with being on time, and she finds a way to trap him in the lift and starve him to death.

Nebraska farmer cuts off trapped leg using pocket knife

A farmer says he had to cut off his own mangled leg with a pocket knife after it became trapped in a grain hopper in northeastern Nebraska.

KETV reports that 63-year-old Kurt Kaser, of Pender, was unloading corn last month when he accidentally stepped on the opening of the hopper and his leg was sucked inside by a device designed to deposit grain in a bin.

Kaser said he couldn’t free his leg, he was alone and he didn’t have his cellphone. So he took out his pocket knife and sawed off his leg below the knee.

He then crawled 150 feet (45 meters) to a phone and was flown to a hospital. He never lost consciousness.

Kaser will get a prosthetic limb once his leg has fully healed.

SOURCE: https://www.apnews.com/d192180916d04a4b91b905c218f160f7

Where the woman is alway kept waiting by her ignorant husband because he knows she's obsessed with being on time, and she finds a way to trap him in the lift and starve him to death.
Based on one of my favorite Roald Dahl short stories, “The Way Up to Heaven”.

I have been watching a Netflix series 'Dark Tourist'. The episode i just watched, he visited McKamey Manor. There is a you Tube video, which frankly terrifying.

I just wonder if this is real or whether some in videos are actors and the whole thing is a further psychological technique to terrify people further.

If this is real and stories relayed are real experiences why is this place allowed to operate? The use of the word 'haunted' is totally bullshit too, it's just torture.

I can't decide between thinking it's real with no exaggeration or overstated for publicity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McKamey_Manor

A Tour de France tale

There's unlucky ... and then there's Christophe

Eugene Christophe finished 2nd in 1912 & was overwhelming favourite in 1913.

halfway up the 4,100ft Tourmalet, the reigning champion and race leader, Belgium's Odile Defraye, abandoned the race in exhaustion, Christophe, who had broken away with another Belgian, Philippe Thys, was well positioned to seize an unassailable lead.

Then a careless driver clipped him with a race vehicle, throwing Christophe across the road. He was unhurt, but his front fork had been snapped in two. As Christophe stood over his ruined machine, Thys sped away alone towards the stage win and overall victory.

Another man would have given up there and then. Not Christophe. He wept, but as he did so he picked up the pieces and set off on foot. Eight-and-a-half miles away, at Sainte-Marie-de-Campan, he found a forge. The race rules forbade outside assistance, but Christophe was a skilled mechanic and forged a new fork from 22mm steel. As Christophe gripped the frame in one hand and a hammer in the other, he allowed a seven-year-old boy to work the bellows that supplied air to the fire. For this assistance, the race marshal who policed the operation imposed a 10-minute time penalty. Then Christophe filled his pockets with bread and set off over two more mountains for the stage finish. He arrived three hours and 50 minutes after Thys. Remarkably little, all things considered, but the Tour had gone.

So in 1919 there could have been no worthier winner than this resolute adventurer. Since taking the lead at the end of stage four, he had showed no weakness. Confidently he pounded through the town of Valenciennes, near the Belgian border, two thirds of the way through the penultimate stage of the race. Then, on the only cobbled section of the stage, Christophe's fork snapped once more.

This time, there was a forge within half a mile, but the repairs cost him two hours, all the same. Again, a Belgian profited from Christophe's misfortune. The new leader, Firmin Lambot, sportingly refused to accept the jersey at the start of the following stage, but Christophe insisted. Despite his bad luck, Christophe finished the 1919 Tour third.

While this was the second time that Christophe had lost the Tour de France with a broken fork, it wouldn't be the last. A cycling Sisyphus, he appeared condemned not to roll rocks up mountains but to carry broken bikes down them. In 1922, he was in the top three, contending for overall victory, when, on the descent from the Galibier in the Alps, his fork broke yet again. He never did win the Tour.

Luckily it rained.

A Belgian woman who spent six days trapped in her overturned car during one of the country’s hottest periods on record has said thoughts of her children helped her to focus on staying alive.

Corine Bastide ran off the road into woods last week near the southeast city of Liege. It was only when relatives were putting up missing posters this week that they spotted the vehicle. Ms Bastide, aged 46, told state broadcaster RTBF that during the first night entombed in her car her mobile phone rang constantly as her family searched desperately for her but she was in such pain she could not reach it. Temperatures in Belgium rose to over 40C (104F) last week, but Ms Bastide survived on rain water she collected during a weekend storm.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/break...in-overturned-car-during-heatwave-941511.html

One could joke that this story concerns endurance dealing with an extremity, but I'll not go there ... She didn't have to endure for days on end, but having to carry one's own severed limb to the ambulance counts for a lot.

Woman forced to carry her severed arm to ambulance after dirt buggy crash in Mexico

A badly injured British woman could have used a helping hand after crashing her rented dirt buggy while vacationing in Mexico.

Instead, prison officer Chelsea Vella says she was forced to carry her severed right arm to an ambulance after wrecking her vehicle last month during an excursion in Puerto Vallarta, according to the U.K. Sun.

Vella, 26, and a friend were riding in the dirt buggy when they lost control on a wet road and the vehicle flipped, throwing them both.

“My instinct told me to put my hand out to stop myself from hitting my head, but the vehicle landed on my arm and the force ripped it off,” Vella told the Sun. “I remember looking down and my elbow was snapped the other way and my right arm was hanging on by a chunk of skin.

“At first, I had an adrenaline rush and the pain wasn’t that bad. Then I realized that my arm was literally hanging off, I could see inside it.”

Doctors also credited her friend for saving Vella’s life during the ambulance ride to a local hospital. As paramedics watched, she friend ripped Vella’s T-shirt off and made a tourniquet to slow her blood loss, a move that proved critical.

“When we arrived at the hospital, the doctor said that whoever tourniquet my arm saved my life,” Vella said to the Sun. “I would have bled to death before we got there otherwise. On way to hospital, I could feel myself dying. It was a really weird feeling and then the ambulance staff gave me a shot of something and I woke back up.”

After receiving news of the crash from the British Foreign Office, Vella’s family was horrified to hear some of the grisly details. They were also told Vella died and was revived during surgery to amputate the arm.

“She told us she had to literally carry her right arm to the ambulance using her left,” her sister, Georgia Vella, 22, told the Sun. “Doctors tried to save her arm but she was missing parts of her bone and there were so many complications with blood loss that they ended up saying the only way to save her was to take the arm off.” ...

SOURCE: https://torontosun.com/news/weird/w...xico/wcm/d2a98ff8-4d88-416a-9597-12e6b0c117fa

This fellow was shot 16 times, but still managed to make his way to a hospital 2 miles away and check himself in for emergency treatment.
A man was shot 16 times and walked into a hospital two miles away

Philadelphia police say it's "miraculous" that a man shot 16 times was able to walk into the hospital two miles away.

Early Friday morning, the 27-year-old was wounded in Philadelphia's Kensington neighborhood. Police say it's unclear why he was shot so many times. They haven't been able to interview him yet.
Investigators found large caliber shell casings at the scene.

Philadelphia Police Department spokesman Sgt. Eric Gripp told CNN the man was shot:

five times on his right side;
two times in his left hip;
three times in his upper chest;
once in his right shoulder;
once in the right side of his neck;
three times on his left forearm;
and once on his right forearm.

Police are not identifying the man who somehow made it to Temple University Hospital and admitted himself.

"For him to be hit that many times throughout his body ... even though he's critical, he's expected to survive," Chief Inspector Scott Small said. "That's pretty miraculous." ...
FULL STORY: https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/25/us/philadelphia-shot-16-times-trnd/index.html

Sounds as if they had some idea of how to live off the land.

A Colombian mother and her three children aged 14, 12 and 10 have been found by indigenous Peruvians 34 days after they were reported missing, authorities say.

They said they had managed to survive by eating seeds, plants and berries. The four had been on their way back from visiting relatives in a remote area near the Peru-Colombia border when they became disorientated and got lost. They are being treated in hospital for malnutrition and dehydration.

Colombian broadcaster Caracol said the woman, who has not been named, had arranged to meet her husband to travel back with him across the border to Colombia where they live. Her husband reported his family's disappearance in Puerto Leguízamo after they did not turn up at the agreed location.The woman said she had become disoriented half way through the journey and got lost in the area near the Putumayo river.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-51265036

A tale of co-operation.

The real Lord of the Flies: what happened when six boys were shipwrecked for 15 months

I began to wonder: had anyone ever studied what real children would do if they found themselves alone on a deserted island? I wrote an article on the subject, in which I compared Lord of the Flies to modern scientific insights and concluded that, in all probability, kids would act very differently. Readers responded sceptically. All my examples concerned kids at home, at school, or at summer camp. Thus began my quest for a real-life Lord of the Flies. After trawling the web for a while, I came across an obscure blog that told an arresting story: “One day, in 1977, six boys set out from Tonga on a fishing trip ... Caught in a huge storm, the boys were shipwrecked on a deserted island. What do they do, this little tribe? They made a pact never to quarrel.”

The article did not provide any sources. But sometimes all it takes is a stroke of luck. Sifting through a newspaper archive one day, I typed a year incorrectly and there it was. The reference to 1977 turned out to have been a typo. In the 6 October 1966 edition of Australian newspaper The Age, a headline jumped out at me: “Sunday showing for Tongan castaways”. The story concerned six boys who had been found three weeks earlier on a rocky islet south of Tonga, an island group in the Pacific Ocean. The boys had been rescued by an Australian sea captain after being marooned on the island of ‘Ata for more than a year. According to the article, the captain had even got a television station to film a re-enactment of the boys’ adventure.

I was bursting with questions. Were the boys still alive? And could I find the television footage? Most importantly, though, I had a lead: the captain’s name was Peter Warner. When I searched for him, I had another stroke of luck. In a recent issue of a tiny local paper from Mackay, Australia, I came across the headline: “Mates share 50-year bond”. Printed alongside was a small photograph of two men, smiling, one with his arm slung around the other. The article began: “Deep in a banana plantation at Tullera, near Lismore, sit an unlikely pair of mates ... The elder is 83 years old, the son of a wealthy industrialist. The younger, 67, was, literally, a child of nature.” Their names? Peter Warner and Mano Totau. And where had they met? On a deserted island. ...

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...-when-six-boys-were-shipwrecked-for-15-months

Only three days but still Fortean and interesting given the SOS.

Three men have been rescued from a Pacific island after writing SOS in the sand, authorities say.
TUESDAY, AUGUST 04, 2020 - 08:10 AM
ASSOCIATED PRESS REPORTER

The men had been missing in the Micronesia archipelago for nearly three days when their distress signal was spotted on Sunday on uninhabited Pikelot Island by searchers on Australian and US aircraft. The trio had set out from Pulawat atoll in a boat on July 30 and had intended to travel about 25 miles to Pulap atoll when they sailed off course and ran out of fuel, the Australian Defence Force said.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40026698.html

Man On Surfboard!

This is the moment a British man who claims to have spent three days at sea on a surfboard after falling off a cruise ship, was plucked from the water.

Coastguards who rescued him released the picture today, showing him with a lifejacket on over a white shirt with his sleeves rolled up his arms. A spokesman for Spanish Coastguards said in a tweet, naming the vessel the tourist was pictured alongside as it approached him to pull him from the sea: 'Salvamar Vega yesterday rescued and took to Estepona a man discovered by a yacht 10 miles south-west of Marbella. He was adrift on a surfboard. The man who was rescued said he had been at sea for three days after falling from a ship.'

The 55-year-old was picked up by the coastguard near Marbella on Monday afternoon. ...

The rescue has fuelled a wave of speculation about how the mystery man ended up on a surfboard.

One social media user said: 'I'm intrigued about this story, because finding a surfboard while you're lost at sea would be even stranger than falling off a boat with the surfboard.'

Another added: 'What's the story, that they threw the surfboard to him when he fell instead of rescuing him?'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ea-fully-dressed-surfboard-near-Marbella.html

Man On Surfboard!

This is the moment a British man who claims to have spent three days at sea on a surfboard after falling off a cruise ship, was plucked from the water.

Coastguards who rescued him released the picture today, showing him with a lifejacket on over a white shirt with his sleeves rolled up his arms. A spokesman for Spanish Coastguards said in a tweet, naming the vessel the tourist was pictured alongside as it approached him to pull him from the sea: 'Salvamar Vega yesterday rescued and took to Estepona a man discovered by a yacht 10 miles south-west of Marbella. He was adrift on a surfboard. The man who was rescued said he had been at sea for three days after falling from a ship.'

The 55-year-old was picked up by the coastguard near Marbella on Monday afternoon. ...

The rescue has fuelled a wave of speculation about how the mystery man ended up on a surfboard.

One social media user said: 'I'm intrigued about this story, because finding a surfboard while you're lost at sea would be even stranger than falling off a boat with the surfboard.'

Another added: 'What's the story, that they threw the surfboard to him when he fell instead of rescuing him?'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ea-fully-dressed-surfboard-near-Marbella.html
Absolutely NOBODY believes a WORD of this! :rollingw:

Back