• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Endurance In Extremity (Tales Of Stubborn Survival Or Persistence)

Indeed, though you're more than welcome to start a thread on self oralonanism on chat but I'm not sure if it'll be allowed :p

Time to resurrect this one. A miner in NSW got pinned under a truck in a mine, and cut his own arm off with a Stanley Knife.
Details here.
ABC Online
Miner cuts off own arm rather than wait

A miner has cut off his own arm, after becoming trapped under a tractor on the New South Wales central coast.

Police say the 44-year-old man was operating a tractor three kilometres underground when the vehicle rolled, trapping him by the forearm.

The accident happened last night at the West Wallsend Colliery at Killingworth.

Another worker discovered the injured man and raised the alarm but the trapped miner insisted on severing his arm below the elbow, rather than waiting to be rescued.

The Department of Mineral Resources is investigating the incident.

The circumstances are somewhat different to the hiker, but the willingness to lop his own arm off is the same. There was apparently some threat of fire in the mine at the time.

Doctors were unable to reattach it, unfortunately.

Teenager jacks off

Teenager pinned under vehicle uses jack to free himself

Thursday, October 9, 2003 Posted: 11:37 AM EDT (1537 GMT)

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (AP) -- An 18-year-old former wrestler whose leg became pinned under his overturned Jeep managed to reach a car jack, ratchet up the vehicle and free himself.

As college freshman Clancy Wright lay trapped last week, he said he thought of the climber whose arm had been pinned by a boulder last spring.

"I didn't want to cut my leg off like the guy who cut off his arm," Wright said.

Wright was driving alone October 2 at a popular off-road area near Minersville, about 200 miles south of Salt Lake City, when his Jeep rolled, pinning his left leg under a corner of the windshield and part of a roll bar.

He was able to reach a jack in the vehicle.

He said he tried three times to find the right placement for it under the roll bar. Wright, who wrestled as a heavyweight last year in high school and took fifth place in his division, eventually was able to lift the Jeep.

"As the pressure released, I could feel the blood rush out of the leg," he told The Salt Lake Tribune in Thursday's editions.

The skin, muscle and tissue in his left calf, from the knee to the ankle, was torn from his leg bones, which were completely exposed but not broken, he said.

Wright said he wrapped the leg with his T-shirt, and a passing rider found him shortly afterward and summoned an ambulance. He underwent surgery and was sent home the next day.

"They told me to go home, lay on the couch, put your foot up and pray," Wright said.

Wright said he has feeling in his leg and can wiggle his toes.

"Maybe this will slow him down a little," his father, Chris Wright, said.

Climber Aron Ralston of Aspen, Colorado, was hiking alone in southeastern Utah on April 26 when his right arm became pinned beneath an 800-pound boulder. He freed himself on the fifth day by snapping his bones and using a knife to cut through his arm.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/West/10/09/trapped.driver.ap/index.html

I seem to remember a tale about a (Native American?) wrestler who broke his neck in a car crash and held his head in place and climbed out of the wreck.

[edit: I am really cursed I can remember just about anything I have read, seen, heard, etc. but not in enough detail to make it possible to recall all the details in one go (although they do tend to drop out over time).

Anyway the wrestler story: It was back when Jesse Ventura used to do commentary for the wrestling (I suspect this might be WCW or slightly later when he moved to WWF - pos. after the incident where Big Van Vader nearly broke a guys back in a one man vs two tag match. My brother and I got into a routine where we used to go to the pub and get back and watch the wrestling so it is around then) and he told some story a story to explain why a Native American wrestler (or at least someone with that character) was able to beat up his opponents despite not being built like a brick outhouse (i.e. he clearly hadn't taken as many steroids as a lot of other people) and the story was to demonstrate the difference between muscular strength and tendon strength. All BS but the story stuck with me (as does just about everything) but I don't know if it was true or not but a wresteler with great tendon strength was in a car crash and broke his neck and was able to hold his head steady on his shoulders and get himself out of the wreck and wait for the paramedics.

I can't find anything on Google but it is still pretty vague (although I doubt i'll get anymore details out thn that) and some of the details might be just wrong enough to thrwo the search off). Ah well it might help remind someone of the tale.]

Emps

The Yithian: If I understand you right then well sort of.

I'm going by the discussion in the sticky post here:

Philo T:

I'm thinking of things like "human folly" , "strange deaths", or "natural oddities" that may be unusual but don't have a unexplained factor to them.

to which stu neville:

basically, if you'd expect to see a story in the pages of FT magazine, then it'd be appropriate in this forum, too.

What we're getting at is stories that are just straightforward news: "Fireman's Strike", "Budget Shock" and "Bristol City win FA Cup" don't belong here, but in Chat. Actually, the last one would belong here on second thoughts...

I wouldn't be suprised to see such a story in the mag and it falls into the category of lucky escapes, extreme human endeavour, etc. If not then someone in power can move it.

----------------

One point related to the story - if mothers are capable of picking up cars to rescue their children why couldn't a heavyweight wrestler gt himself out of that fix?

Emps

Furry Muff

I'm probably just being a bit crabby with the red wine lurking in my body. :)

The Yithian:

I'm probably just being a bit crabby with the red wine lurking in my body.

That'll do it ;)

There is no clear dividing line on what is Fortean News and I do um and ah about various news stories - I do try and err on the side of caution but in the end if the mods think it doesn't fit then they are welcome to (re)move it.

I was also hoping to spark a lucky escape from car crash kind of thing so............

Emps

This laddie was lucky not to lose not just his leg but his life after being trapped. Crush victims often die after being freed, eg after earthquakes, because the toxins which build up in blood vessels are then free to circulate back around the body with fatal results.

I think this a perfectly Fortean story- the chap survived against awesome odds and escaped through his own ingenuity. :)

Not the Japanese gameshow which is mentioned here:

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3707

But people surviving under extreme conditions like:

Farmer survives 51-hour tractor ordeal

GRETEL SNEATH
25jan04

A FARMER has survived 51 hours lying injured in a cow paddock after being run over by his tractor.

A sunburnt and dehydrated John "Bart" Stratford, 78, was found yesterday morning by his nephew Stephen Lynch, who returned after three days in Adelaide.

"It was the only time in my life I've really appreciated seeing him, and while I didn't ever think I'd live to say it, it was the prettiest face I've ever seen," a happy Bart said yesterday from his Mt Gambier hospital bed, where he is being treated for dehydration and multiple fractures to his pelvis.

His ordeal began at 8.45am on Thursday morning when he was spreading hay to cattle on his property, 15km southeast of Mt Gambier.

He discovered his tractor was rolling slowly down the hill and when he tried to climb back on, the toe of one of his boots clipped the large wheel, dragging him under.

The tractor rolled over his stomach and pelvis before coming to rest about 100m away, where it idled until it ran out of fuel.

Lying in his hospital bed, Bart said he wasn't sure how much longer he would have been able to last without food and water.

"I thought I'd be in a very bad way if I had to wait another day – I really didn't think I'd see tonight," he said.

Paramedics described their patient as "an extremely lucky and tough old bugger", who had coped remarkably well given his age and the length of his exposure to the sun.

http://www.thesundaymail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,8490742%5E903,00.html

There is an awful lot of news around on this one but I'll just throw in the Beeb's:

Toddler safe after crash trauma

A US toddler is recovering in hospital after surviving five days in freezing conditions, following a car crash which killed her mother.

Three-year-old Angel Emery was found in the car wreckage off an Arizona road after relatives notified police that the pair were missing.

She had survived despite the cold by eating crackers and cuddling her dead mother for warmth.

Angel was dubbed a "miracle child" by rescuers after her astonishing escape.

Accident investigators say Angel's mother, Patti Emery-Wade, is thought to have veered off a local road in snowy weather conditions and spun before crashing into a tree.

She suffered severe injuries to her back and head and may have survived for some time - perhaps providing her daughter with valuable warmth and comfort - before succumbing to her injuries.

Five days later, a passer-by spotted the car and alerted authorities.

'Amazed' rescuers

Rescuer Sergeant Dave Wander told the Arizona Republic newspaper that after finding the car, he felt there was no chance either had survived the crash.

As a result, he was stunned to see Angel alive inside.

"It kind of blew me away," he told the newspaper

"I could see that the mother was [dead].. and then all of a sudden Angel popped up... it amazes me that she was able to survive that long out there."

Sgt Wander said when he lifted the girl out of the car she "chattered away" and asked for water.

Angel was then flown to hospital where she was treated for dehydration and frostbite on her feet.

It is thought that family members will look after her until custody arrangements can be agreed.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/americas/3438163.stm

Published: 2004/01/28 16:13:48 GMT

© BBC MMIV

Man accidentally skinned alive

Man skinned alive at slaughterhouse

Av Øyvind Ludt og Carin Pettersson 29.01.04 10:28

A 27-year-old custodian was sucked into a large machine used to skin animals at a Danish slaughterhouse.

The 27-year-old was cleaning the machines at the Danish Crown Slaughterhouse in Sæby when he was caught by one of the rollers and mowed into the so-called deskinning machine. According to the paper Extra Bladet, he was pulled through the massive machines a couple of times before a colleague heard the noise and managed to turn off the machines.

He was serious injured, and he was immediately taken to the hospital in Aalborg.

“It’s not life threatening, but he has been seriously injured,” said Otto Jystrup at the Directorate of Labor Inspection in Aalborg. “There are a lot to patch together.”

“The machine resembles a carwash, where brushes moves back and forth over the surface while rotating, but there the brushes consists of small metal plates which scrape off the bristle of the pigs,” Jystrup said.

The 27-year-old, who is of Afghani descent, has an open cranium fracture, pelvis fracture, and several bone fractures, in addition to many large wounds.

http://pub.tv2.no/nettavisen/english/article179334.ece

and it ISN'T life threateneing???? now that /is/ odd.

Very lucky that this wouldn't fit on the hoist by own petard death thread.

Why is his descent mentioned? A suggestion that some of us are genetically encouraged to fall into flaying machines?

Kath

I can't believe he survived it! I would have thought he'd have bled to death or something. What a nasty image it conjures up. And shouldn't the machine have been switched off before he started to clean it?!

What about Joe Simpson of "Touching the Void" fame?

"The human body is wonderful because if it doesn't die, it lives." - Bill, the Galactic Hero.

Shark sinks its teeth in for the long haul

February 12, 2004

A man attacked by a shark swam 300 metres, walked to his car and drove to a local surf club with the shark still attached to his leg.

The wobbegong attacked Luke Tresoglavic, 22, yesterday as he was snorkelling on a reef off Caves Beach, south of Newcastle.

When the 60-centimetre shark attacked, " instantly grabbed hold of it with both hands as hard as I could to stop it shaking", Mr Tresoglavic told ABC radio.

"I just realised I had to swim in like that, hanging on to it. Once I got on to shore, a couple of people tried to help me but I could not remove it, it was stuck there. So I got up into my car and then drove to the clubhouse and luckily the guys down there had a clue what to do."

Senior lifeguard Michael Jones said: "The first we knew of it was a bloke lobbed up here at the lifeguard tower with a shark attached to his leg . . . It latched on and wouldn't let go. He's lucky he didn't get into difficulties in the water trying to swim with that thing thrashing around."

With the help of another lifeguard, all three men took hold of the shark and attempted to flush its gills with fresh water to make it loosen its grip.

"I grabbed the tail and one jaw, Luke grabbed the other jaw and my partner, the other beach inspector, flushed it with water and we were able to get it off without creating too much more tissue damage," Mr Jones said.

Bleeding from 70 needle-like punctures, Mr Tresoglavic then drove to hospital, taking the dead shark with him.

Mr Jones said Mr Tresoglavic was in good spirits throughout the ordeal.

"There was a side of humour to it," he said.

The last shark sighting at the beach was seven years ago.

Wobbegongs can grow up to three metres, have razor-like teeth and are said to be moody and short-tempered.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/02/11/1076388440368.html

See also:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3478747.stm

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=2518286

reminds me a bit of the story of people whos arms are ripped off and they have to go and find help.

Emps

a) the shark's called a wobblegong (sorry but it just ought to have an L in there)

b) it's moody. Like with PMT?

Nobody should have to endure a moody wobblegong.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh but we all have from time to time ;)

Anyway new report:

February 19, 2004

CALIFORNIA

Man Safe After Week in Snow

Rescuers found the L.A. snowboarder who got lost in a remote area near Mammoth Lakes.

By Eric Malnic, Times Staff Writer

A 34-year-old snowboarder from Los Angeles was found alive after wandering for a week in the near-zero temperatures and 15-foot-deep snow of the High Sierra, officials said Wednesday.

"It was amazing that he survived in that cold," said Joe Rousek, a veteran member of one of the mountain search-and-rescue teams that found Eric Lemarque. "We knew he was a hockey player, in good shape. But I don't think he'd have lasted another night."

Rousek said Lemarque had struggled more than nine miles across remote, snow-covered mountain terrain after straying from the approved ski and snowboard runs at the Mammoth Mountain resort Feb. 6.

Lacking food and overnight gear, Lemarque survived by eating pine needles and pine nuts and by building a crude igloo for shelter, his mother said.

"He kept his wits," said Susan Lemarque of Sherman Oaks.

Searchers picked up his trail Feb. 12, and a helicopter spotted him the next morning, sprawled in the snow.

"He wasn't moving," Rousek said. "But he was still conscious."

Lemarque was flown out by helicopter and taken to Mammoth Hospital in Mammoth Lakes, where he underwent several days of treatment for dehydration, mild hypothermia and severe frostbite to his left foot.

He was later transferred to the Grossman Burn Center at Sherman Oaks Hospital.

His mother said the frostbite he suffered required treatment similar to that used for severe burns.

"He's in better physical condition than anyone ever thought he could be," she said.

Susan Lemarque said her son, who is single, was born in Paris and played hockey for the French national team in the 1994 Olympics. She said he had made a career as a hockey teacher in the Los Angeles area.

"He loves the outdoors," she said.

She said her son went to Mammoth Lakes on a trip with friends Feb. 2.

Officials said that after his friends left the resort to return home, Lemarque went snowboarding alone Feb. 6.

"He said he went off the track," Susan Lemarque said. "When it got dark, he couldn't tell quite where he was. He continued on down the mountain, thinking he'd find his way out."

Officials said Lemarque had wandered into a vast, empty area that stretches for miles down the western slopes of California's tallest mountains.

Susan Lemarque said he had been gone for several days before anyone realized he was missing. When she couldn't reach him by phone, she told Lemarque's father, Philip Lemarque, who headed to the resort, about 300 miles north of Los Angeles.

"They checked the condo" at the resort, she said. "The only thing missing was him and his board."

The search began Feb. 11, five days after he disappeared. The effort included the Mammoth Mountain resort's ski patrol, the Inyo County search and rescue team and the Mono County search and rescue team, of which Rousek, 49, is a member.

"There were about 14 of us on skis, plus a couple of dogs," Rousek said. "We were looking for signs of where he might have gone. The ski patrol found his tracks. Then they found a place where he had stopped and tried to light a fire. That's a sign a person is in trouble."

Rousek said the tracks continued downhill, deeper and deeper into the back country. Then, unaccountably, they veered left, up the steep slopes of a peak called Pumice Mountain.

"He climbed a couple of thousand feet up that mountain," Rousek said. "When you're hypothermic, you're not thinking so good."

The search was halted temporarily by darkness on the night of Feb. 12.

That same night, Susan Lemarque said, her son began to worry for the first time.

"He said it had been so long," she said. "And it was so cold."

The search resumed at dawn. At about 11 a.m., a helicopter that had joined the effort spotted a still figure in the snow.

Rescuers reached Lemarque within a few minutes.

"He's in good spirits," his mother said. "He's so happy to be alive."

http://www.latimes.com/news/custom/showcase/la-me-snowboarder19feb19.story

Doginson Crusoe

And its not just people who manage this (wasn't there soemthing recently in FT about a dog off te Isle of Wight?):

Dog found after owner presumed dead

Associated Press — Feb. 26, 2004

ANCHORAGE, Alaska — A Labrador retriever has been found alive on an isolated cove of a Southeast Alaska island more than a month after its owner was given up for dead when his boat sank in rough seas.

Two local fishermen found the dog named Brick on Heceta Island several miles from the accident. The men had known the dog's owner, Greg Clark, who went down with his boat in late January.

Brick swam to the men's boat and was hauled aboard--underweight, with an injured leg, fur matted with tree sap, but wiggling with joy, according to friends of the fishermen.

The discovery of the 8-year-old dog last week sent a shock through the close-knit rain forest community of mariners and loggers, who had given up hope of finding Clark, 48.

"I was blown away," said John Pugh, a friend of Clark who has custody of the animal.

The dog was starting to rebound, Pugh told the Anchorage Daily News.

"He's hungry as hell and a little skinny, but he's doing all right," he said.

Clark was lost after his 32-foot boat Katrina broke apart Jan. 22 on rocks near Cape Lynch on the west side of the island, among a cluster of islands within the 17-million-acre Tongass National Forest.

Clark, a longtime beach logger who lived alone with half a dozen Labs and their pups, had been making a supply run into Craig from his home on Kosciusko Island when he radioed his boat had lost power.

With him was Brick, his constant companion, and a 2-month-old puppy Clark had planned to deliver to new owners in town.

A three-day search by local residents and Coast Guard crews found a rolled-up survival suit, part of the boat's stern and other debris, but no sign of Clark or his dogs.

Over the past month, people had resigned themselves that Clark and his dogs were gone, Pugh said. The animals left at home were adopted by Clark's brother in Oregon and friends in Alaska.

Then last Thursday, Kevin Dau — Pugh's partner in an oyster operation — was fishing for winter king salmon with his father off the northwestern coast of Heceta near the accident site. When the two men motored into Port Alice to anchor for the night, Dau saw a black animal on the beach.

"His father said, 'That's a wolf.' But Kevin said, 'No, that's Brick,'" Pugh said. "And he got out on the bow and started calling, 'Brick! Brick!'"

Brick's survival alone on the thick, jungly island during harsh winter weather has amazed and moved local people, Pugh said.

"It's such a rural area, your friends are really your family out here, and Greg was family to all of us," he said.

http://espn.go.com/outdoors/sportingdogs/news/2004/0226/1745123.html

Shipwrecked dog swims to safety

Updated 26 February 2004, 21.09

A doggy version of Robinson Crusoe has been found alive on a remote island - one month after being shipwrecked.

The labrador, called Brick, was a passenger on his owner's boat. It sank in rough seas in late January. Both man and dog were given up for dead.

Two fishermen were stunned to see Brick swimming towards them off the shore of Heceta Island in south-east Alaska.

The search continues for the dog's owner, Greg Clark. Meanwhile, Brick is making a good recovery.

Click here for our dog quiz

He was in a pretty poor state when he was hauled on board the fishermen's boat.

'Blown away'

He was underweight, had a bad leg and his fur was matted with tree sap.

"I was blown away," said one of the fishermen who rescued Brick.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/animals/newsid_3491000/3491402.stm

He also looks like one of my dogs :)

Emps

Woman to be tried in bizarre kidnap of Campbell woman

BUFFALO -- A Fayetteville, Ark., woman was ordered to stand trial Thursday for her alleged role in the assault of a Campbell woman who was left for dead beside a Dallas County road in December.

Misty Nicole Driskill, 21, appeared before Associate Circuit Judge James Anderton of Hickory County for a preliminary hearing Thursday afternoon on the Class A felony of first-degree assault -- serious injury.

After hearing from various witnesses, Anderton found probable cause to bind Driskill over to stand trial.

Anderton ordered Driskill to appear at 1:30 p.m. Thursday before Presiding Circuit Judge John Sims for arraignment.

Driskill is charged in connection with a Dec. 21 incident involving Carmen Joann Tibbs, 67.

Tibbs was allegedly abducted from her home by her neighbors, Gregory and Toni Allen, and taken to southwest Missouri. There the Allens contacted Driskill and her brother.

"The Allens then advised Jesse and Misty Driskill that they had abducted a woman and that she was outside in the trunk of the car," Dallas County Sheriff Billie Blair said at the time. "They also stated that the woman could identify them and they would need to kill her to prevent the identification."

Tibbs reportedly was taken to a location in rural Dallas County where she was allegedly beaten and her throat slit before she was left for dead.

Subsequently, Tibbs made her way to a house near Buffalo. There she was reportedly able to summon help and identify her alleged attackers as the Allens.

The Allens were arrested and charged with the Class B felonies of kidnapping and first-degree burglary and the Class A felony of first-degree robbery in Dunklin County and with the Class A felony of first-degree assault charge in Dallas County. They were bound over to stand trial on the Dunklin County charges earlier this week.

Driskill's 23-year-old brother, Jesse D. Driskill, of Buffalo was charged with the Class B felony of conspiracy for his alleged role in Tibbs' assault. He was to appear at 9 a.m. Thursday before Associate Circuit Judge Cody Hanna for a preliminary hearing in his case.

Calls to the Dallas County court about his case were referred to Prosecuting Attorney Barbara Viets.

Viets was not available for comment by press time.

http://www.darnews.com/articles/2004/03/05/news/news7.txt

Plucky Monkey

Another animal tale:

Monkey survives 70km under car

From correspondents in Bangalore
March 11, 2004

AN endangered monkey clung to the underside of a car on a 70-kilometre journey and survived with little more than sooty limbs, an animal rights group said Wednesday.

The three-year-old monkey, which belongs to the Slender Loris family found in southern India and Sri Lanka, latched onto the chassis after the driver had braked to avoid running it over over near Shetgere village west of Bangalore.

"The driver assumed that the animal had been run over and checked underneath the car but found nothing," said Alpana Bhartia, founder trustee of People for Animals.

"So he continued his journey to Bangalore on Saturday. The next day a huge crowd had gathered in front of his house as they had found a Loris amid the small plants in the car parking area," Bhartia told AFP.

The car owner informed Bhartia's group, which took the monkey to a wildlife centre and plans to release it into the jungle on Thursday.

"It is a miracle that she survived," Bhartia said. "She is absolutely fine except for the black soot on the fore and hind limbs and excessive stress."

The Slender Loris is considered endangered by the World Wildlife Fund. Its eyes are eaten by some Indians who believe they are aphrodisiacs.

The monkey survives on insects, shoots, leaves, fruits with hard skin and birds'

http://news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,8934001%5E13762,00.html

Some Frozen Lobsters Return to Life

2 hours, 28 minutes ago

By JAY LINDSAY, Associated Press Writer

BOSTON - Call it cryonics for crustaceans. A Connecticut company says its frozen lobsters sometimes come back to life when thawed.

Trufresh began freezing lobsters with a technique it used for years on salmon after an offhand suggestion by some workers. It found that some lobsters revived after their subzero sojourns.

Now, Trufresh is looking for partners to begin selling the lobsters commercially. The company was scheduled to attend the International Boston Seafood Show, which began Sunday, armed with video showing two undead lobsters squirming around after being frozen stiff in a minus-40 degree chemical brine for several minutes.

Company chairman Barnet L. Liberman acknowledged that its lobster testing is limited and only about 12 of roughly 200 healthy, hard shell lobsters survived the freezing. In addition, the company hasn't researched how long a frozen lobster can survive — overnight is the longest period so far.

Liberman emphasized the company's goal isn't to provide customers with lobsters that always come back to life. He just wants to supply tasty lobsters.

But frozen lobster can't be much fresher than "still alive" and Trufresh hasn't hesitated to tout their lobsters' restorative qualities. For instance, the company plans to ship the lobsters with rubber bands on the claws, as a consumer protection measure.

"I wouldn't remove the rubber bands," Liberman said. "It's not worth the risk."

Bonnie Spinazzola of the Offshore Lobstermen's Association in Candia, N.H, had her doubts about Lazarus-like lobsters entering the existing frozen lobster market.

"I've never heard of it and I don't know if I believe it," she said. "It might be a robo-lobster."

Trufresh is based in Suffield, Conn., but has salmon operations in Lubec, Maine, a community on the Bay of Fundy that's the easternmost town in the United States. A few years ago, some workers with lobstering experience suggested freezing lobsters the same way they froze their salmon, which are far too dead (and filleted) to ever be revived.

First, the lobster's metabolism is slowed in below-freezing sea water and then it's immersed in the minus-40 degree brine. Liberman said the lobster freezes so quickly that damage to muscle tissue cells from the formation of ice crystals is minimized.

The lobsters are then thawed in 28-degree sea water. A marketing video from the company shows the lobsters freely wriggling around after about two and a half hours.

The first time they tried it, Trufresh froze about 30 lobsters and two came back to life, Liberman said. But the company wasn't in the lobster business and never pursued it.

Now, Trufresh is trying to expand its product line as it launches a retail business on the Internet. If it can find partners to catch the lobster and process it, Liberman said Trufresh can be selling them within months.

Robert Bayer of the University of Maine's Lobster Institute said he was intrigued about the Trufresh process, but dubious. Seafood freezing methods similar to Trufresh's have existed for years, but there have been no reports of undead lobsters, he said.

"I'm guess I am skeptical about a lobster being brought back to life," Bayer said. "But I'm willing to be shown."

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...3&e=1&u=/ap/20040314/ap_on_sc/undead_lobsters

oh dear what can the matter be? A little old lady stuck in t

Woman meets her waterloo

March 16, 2004

An 83-year-old Canadian woman has been rescued after spending two days wedged behind her toilet.

A caretaker raised the alarm after noticing a pile of newspapers piled outside her apartment, The Winnipeg Sun reported.

The slightly built woman told paramedics she wasn't sure how she had managed to get stuck.

Winnipeg's fire chief told the newspaper: "Her whole body somehow became jammed behind her toilet. It was one of those strange occurrences and you wouldn't have believed it even if you had a camera and had taken a picture."

The woman had sore ribs, but didn't appear to have any broken bones. She is expected to make a full recovery.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/03/15/1079199163349.html

March 30, 2004, 11:21AM

Motorist lay paralyzed for 36 hours on Gulf Freeway

Passer-by on freeway spots him as traffic keeps whizzing past

By ROMA KHANNA
Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

FRIENDSWOOD -- Paralyzed when he collapsed after a car crash, Ed Theisen lay alongside the Gulf Freeway with a broken neck, hidden among traffic barricades, for 36 hours before his rescue.

Night, and its sharp chill, came and went. So did the whizzing traffic of four Houston rush hours.

Theisen's wife, worried he had been carjacked, drove past twice as her husband prayed for small things such as the ability to grab a plastic bag fluttering nearby to warm his arm.

As the sun went down on day two, Theisen, 46, had begun to brace for another night when he was rescued March 23.

"Someone riding in the back of a pickup truck spotted him and called police," Debora Rodeffer-Theisen said Monday after her husband emerged from surgery. "The officer poked him with a nightstick thinking he was a dead body, but he was there and he was very much alive. It was a miracle."

Theisen's mother, Mary Ellen Theisen, told The Associated Press today that her son was resting after his surgery and doctors weren't certain if his paralysis would be permanent.

"There will be a lot of rehab," she said. `"He was paralyzed when they found him, so there's a lot of work to be done. But our spirits are good."

Theisen, a chemical engineer from Friendswood, began March 22 like most other days. He said goodbye to his 16-year-old stepson at about 6 a.m. before he set out for work in the Galleria area.

He was driving up the Gulf Freeway just outside of downtown when traffic slowed and he was rear-ended. Theisen pulled his white Ford Taurus to the shoulder, as did the other driver, and got out to exchange insurance information.

Rather than walk into the heavy oncoming traffic, Theisen stepped between the concrete barriers near the HOV lane. Suddenly, he felt weak.

"He thought he was having a heart attack or a stroke," Rodeffer-Theisen said. "He grabbed the concrete barrier and just went down."

Theisen was instantly paralyzed, unable to move anything except his right hand 4 or 5 inches.

The other driver did not see where Theisen went and told police, who made an accident report, that he had just walked off, his wife said. The tow truck driver who hauled off Theisen's car about 7 a.m., and who likely was his last hope, did not see him, Rodeffer-Theisen said.

"He passed the time thinking about his life and talking to God," Rodeffer-Theisen said.

As Theisen lay on his side, staring at a concrete wall, his shouts inaudible to passing traffic, his family began to think the worst.

"I came home that night at 6 and he was not there. He is always home or has left a message, so I checked the machine," Rodeffer-Theisen said. "There was a message from his office saying, `Ed where are you?' And then I began to worry."

She filed a missing person report with the Harris County Sheriff's Department and, in the process, learned that Theisen's car had been in a crash and was at an impound lot.

"But that just fit the carjacking theory," she said, "that someone had stolen the car, crashed it and ran off."

As the hours wore on with no explanation, friends began to call area morgues.

Rodeffer-Theisen, friends and family were plastering their Friendswood neighborhood with missing-person fliers with Theisen's photograph, when the Houston Fire Department called to say that he was alive. Rodeffer-Theisen immediately called Memorial Hermann Hospital.

"They said, `We have him here and he is alive and he is saying he loves you,' " Rodeffer-Theisen said. "He was covered in Houston pollution -- it was coming out of every pore -- but he was alive."

Doctors determined that Theisen had broken his neck and suffered a spinal cord injury. He underwent surgery on his neck Monday. He will remain in traction for some time and will have to undergo physical therapy to regain movement.

"He told me he thought he had a new vocation -- to be in a wheelchair," she said through tears.

His family is eager to watch him recover, but they also are searching for the person who spotted him and called police.

"That person, whoever it was, saved his life," Rodeffer-Theisen said. "And I just want to find them and say `Thank you. Thank you for giving me my husband back.' "

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/topstory2/2474373

Girl, 6, recovering from 10-day crash ordeal

She suffered only minor injuries in accident that killed her mother

KNBC TV
The Associated Press
Updated: 06:18 AM PT April15, 2004

MORENO VALLEY, Calif. - A 6-year-old girl who survived 10 days in a crashed car, nourished only by dry noodles and Gatorade, was recovering from dehydration as her family marveled at her resilience and mourned the death of her mother.

Ruby Bustamante was sitting up in bed, smiling, asking for ice cream and watching TV at Riverside Regional Medical Center, Dr. Webster Wong told reporters at a news conference Wednesday.

“She has sustained some very minor, non-life-threatening injuries,” he said.

Ruby’s great-grandfather Bill Cooney said she didn’t appear to remember much about the crash that killed her 26-year-old mother, Norma Bustamante.

‘A strong little girl’
“She’s a strong little girl, strong, real strong,” Juan Morin, the girl’s uncle, said as he fought back tears.

Relatives said they last saw Ruby before she left her Indio home with her mother on April 4 to visit her mother’s boyfriend. They reported both missing the next day, but authorities could find no trace of them until state Department of Transportation workers spotted their crashed Ford Taurus at the bottom of a ravine on Tuesday.

The Riverside County coroner’s office said Wednesday that Bustamante likely was killed within minutes of the crash by multiple blunt force trauma. She was ejected from the car and suffered severe liver damage and broken ribs, officials said.

The needle of the car’s speedometer was stuck at 83 mph; tests will determine whether the crash was caused by mechanical failure, California Highway Patrol Officer Chris Blondon said.

Caltrans workers gave Ruby water and a cup of lime Jell-O before she was taken to the hospital.

Kin critical of authorities' response
Relatives criticized authorities for not moving quickly with the search. The CHP had searched the area after a woman reported seeing a car go off the highway on April 4.

One of Ruby’s aunts, Rose Lopez, said the Indio Police Department didn’t seem to take the family’s missing persons report seriously.

“They took the report and kind of dismissed it,” she said, adding that officers told Ruby’s grandmother her daughter “probably had to just get away.”

Indio police Sgt. Richard Banasiak said authorities entered the names of the mother and daughter in a national computer database for missing persons while the family posted fliers throughout the area. He said the search was hampered by the rugged terrain.

“We have so much sympathy for the family, and because of that, naturally, you have this human instinct that maybe we didn’t do enough,” said CHP Capt. Bob Clark.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4738475/

How long can you survive in a freezer?

Ian Sample
Thursday April 15, 2004
The Guardian

A question that Richard Carter must have asked himself when some kids locked him in his ice cream freezer, according to the Sun this week.

Carter, who was trapped in the -28C chamber for 15 minutes, told the newspaper: "Another 15 minutes and I'd have been a goner."

The first sign of trouble is frostbite, says Bill Keatinge, physiologist at Queen Mary, University of London. In extreme cold, our bodies shut down the blood supply to our skin, and because our fingers are so small, they can freeze quickly if not covered up.

"In experiments, I've frozen my little finger repeatedly, and it only takes about 70 to 80 seconds," says Keatinge.

Frozen fingers are a big issue in Yakutsk in eastern Siberia, the coldest town in the world. Drunks who collapse outside often have frozen fingers by the time they are found. "The local doctors do between one and three finger amputations a day, and it's a small town," says Keatinge. "It's a problem all over Russia."

While shivering keeps you warm, boosting your body's heat production tenfold, it uses a lot of energy, so can be exhausting.

When shivering stops, it's time to worry. Even if you are fat, you will begin to lose heat quickly, falling into a state of hypothermia once your core body temperature drops below 35C.

As the body cools further, breathing becomes laboured and it becomes hard to think straight. Ultimately, the heart muscles begin to seize up, and because blood is then pumped around the body so inefficiently, tissues and organs fail through lack of oxygen. "You'd be in real trouble within hours at -28C," said Keatinge. "I'd be amazed if anyone survived as long as a day at that temperature."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/thisweek/story/0,12977,1191588,00.html

Main (if scanty) reports:

Now I scream for help

AN ice cream seller feared he would freeze to death after children locked him in his van.

Richard Carter, 61, was checking stock when five boys aged 12 and 13 slammed the door shut.

He was stuck in the -28°C freezer for 15 minutes until a passer-by noticed the van rocking by a shop in Wincobank, Sheffield, South Yorks.

Furious Mr Carter said: “Another 15 minutes and I’d have been a goner.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2004171147,00.html

I could have died in 'tomb'

A GRANDFATHER with heart problems today blasted police for refusing to arrest youths who locked him in the back of a refrigerated lorry for 15 terrifying minutes.

Richard Carter was trapped in perishing temperatures of –28 degrees Centigrade by yobs as young as 12, who shut the door on him as he worked in the back of the vehicle in Foxglove Road, Wincobank, Sheffield.

Mr Carter, aged 61, who has suffered two heart attacks, was rescued by a workman after spending 15 minutes banging on the door for help.

He claims the prank could have killed him, and wants the youngsters arrested and brought to court for their antics.

Mr Carter said they also snatched his mobile phone from the front of the vehicle while he was trapped, but later returned it after he seized one of their bikes that was left at the roadside.
But today he said his ordeal was made worse by police, who say no court action will be taken – despite Mr Carter providing the youths' names.

Police confirmed they visited the homes of all five youths involved and reprimanded the ring leader in front of his mother for closing the door on Mr Carter. But Mr Carter, of Main Street, Grenoside, is convinced officers should be treating the incident as more than a prank.

He said: "How would you feel if you were locked in a freezing cold, airtight box without any light, and did not know if you were going to be let out?

"It was scary, and could have killed me if I had been in there for a long time. I'm thankful the builders nearby were able to let me free.

"But I'm more annoyed at the way the police handled things. They said there was no evidence that a crime had taken place and they acted like they didn't want to know.

"They should be locking the little beggars up for what they did to me. It could have been a lot worse. I even gave them the names of the lads involved."

A police spokeswoman said: "Officers obtained a list of five youths' names and they visited their homes and reprimanded them.

"The boy who shut the door was given very strong advice in front of his mother regarding his conduct and its repercussions.

"The boys were aged around 12 and 13 years old, and officers decided this was the most appropriate action to take.

"The complainant was unhurt and seemed satisfied with this action at the time."

10 April 2004

http://www.sheffieldtoday.net/ViewArticle.aspx?SectionID=58&ArticleID=772466

Emps

Another story where a child survives a long time after a crasj that killed their parnt/guardian (I believe gien their size and dimensions that children survive crashes better than adults):

Toddler found alive 30 hours after crash killed father

Wednesday, April 28, 2004 Posted: 1558 GMT (2358 HKT)

CHEYENNE, Wyoming (AP) -- An 18-month-old girl survived a near-freezing night beside her father's dead body after their car cartwheeled off a road and into a creek.

Raylynn Miller was found alive Monday by a police officer who was out jogging and came across the crash site about a mile west of Thermopolis in northwest Wyoming.

"She was quiet, just sitting there," said Sgt. Mark Nelson, who found Raylynn at 5:40 p.m.

Raylynn remained hospitalized Tuesday for dehydration and possible broken bones. The girl survived 30 hours in the open and temperatures that dropped into the low 30s overnight.

Authorities said Raylynn was saved by her car seat and later may have been released by her dying father, Shye Miller, 22, of Thermopolis. He survived up to 15 hours after the crash, according to Coroner Clark Mortimore.

"If the coroner's correct on how long he was alive, there was some time that he could have crawled out and released her arm restraints, or she could have possibly released them herself, but she was sitting there at the scene," Highway Patrol Lt. Dave Gluyas said Tuesday.

The crash occurred when Miller lost control of his car on a curve on Wyoming Highway 120, possibly around 11 a.m. Sunday, the investigation showed. The car was traveling at about 70 mph, according to trooper Dan Smith.

The car went over an embankment south of the roadway and cartwheeled, with the front or back end of the vehicle striking the ground four times. It then went off a cement culvert and came to rest about 150 feet from the roadway in a creek bed. The wreck could not be seen from the road.

Smith said broken beer bottles were found and authorities are investigating whether alcohol played a role in the crash. Miller was on probation for an assault conviction and was not supposed to consume alcohol.

Miller had dropped his wife off at the Thermopolis hospital about 10:30 a.m. so she could fill out a job application. She later reported the two missing, but police were unable to find the car.

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/US/Central/04/28/toddler.survivor.ap/index.html

A freezing night and a town named Thermopolis?

They also link to a follwo up on a previous story:

Girl 'doing well' after surviving crash that killed mom

Thursday, April 15, 2004 Posted: 1231 GMT (2031 HKT)

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- A 5-year-old girl who was found with her dead mother after a car crash that may have happened as many as 10 days ago was "doing extraordinarily well" at a hospital Wednesday, the girl's doctor said.

Ruby Bustamante survived by drinking Gatorade and eating dried noodles found in the car, according to family members.

"She's smiling, watching TV, and is happy to be surrounded by her family again," said Dr. Webster Wong of Riverside Medical Center.

Wong said Ruby had some bumps, bruises and scratches, but nothing more serious.

"When she came to us, she was in miraculous shape," Wong said.

Ruby was found Tuesday by highway workers near Banning, California, about 70 miles east of downtown Los Angeles and about 40 miles from where she lived in Indio.

Police believe Norma Bustamante, 26, drove off a highway and plunged 400 feet over the guardrail to her death, according to Capt. Bob Clark, commander of the California Highway Patrol's station in Banning.

The car came to rest under a large tree, which mostly obscured it from view.

The California Highway Patrol received a call early April 4 from a motorist who said a car on State Route 60 may have gone over the side of the road. Authorities searched the area at the time but found nothing.

Bustamante's family reported the mother and daughter missing April 5.

California transportation workers repairing the guardrail on Freeway 60 "noticed movement approximately 150 feet down a steep embankment," according to a highway patrol report.

The workers found Ruby, who "appeared to be uninjured but was hungry and thirsty," near the site of the crash, the report said.

An autopsy report from the Riverside County Sheriff's Department said Bustamante likely died within minutes of the accident. The cause of death was listed as multiple blunt force trauma, the report said.

Results of toxicology tests were pending.

Rose Lopez, Ruby's aunt, told reporters Wednesday the Indio Police Department "dismissed" the family's worries.

"They said she [Norma] probably just wanted to be alone," Lopez said, adding the family was told there weren't enough officers to conduct a search and that the family would have to do it.

She said she believes if the search had begun immediately, Norma Bustamante might still be alive.

"This is an outrage. Someone needs to be held accountable for this. There is no excuse for this young mother to be left out there to die, and a child have to go through such a horrific ordeal," Lopez said.

Indio Police Cmdr. Mark Miller called the whole ordeal a "tragedy." He said he understood the family's reaction, but he felt the department did everything it could.

"We took it seriously and followed up local leads," Miller said.

He said descriptions of the car and mother and daughter were sent to all local law enforcement agencies and were entered into the state's missing person database. Officers also checked local hospitals and morgues.

"We feel we honestly did everything in our power," Miller said.

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/US/West/04/15/girl.found/index.html

Emps

Posted: May 05, 2004 - 10:04:02 PDT

Dog survives the deep freeze

By Gail Kimberling

Of the News-Times

"Brandon," a 5-year-old terrier mix, is lucky to be alive after spending several hours in a household freezer on Sunday.

Washakie William Schneider, 21, the person allegedly responsible for putting Brandon in the deep freeze, is currently lodged in the Lincoln County Jail on charges of aggravated animal abuse and Animal Neglect II. Schneider's bail is set at ,000.

Brandon's owner, Michael Tyron, who employs Schneider as a caregiver, discovered the dog was missing shortly before 5 p.m. Sunday. "I had gone to Corvallis and when I returned home at 4:45 noticed Brandon was missing," Tyron said. "I searched the entire house and every time I came in and out of the kitchen I heard a faint bark. I thought he was under the house chasing cats.

After 45 minutes, Tyron noticed the dog's cries were getting fainter. He said he went back to the kitchen and stood in front of the refrigerator, then realized the cries were coming from the upper freezer portion of the appliance.

Brandon was barely conscious, and his long fur was covered in ice when he was discovered by his owner. Tyron immediately called Newport Police, and Officer Mike Iverson responded to the residence and placed Schneider under arrest. According to the police report, Schneider told the officer he had "mopped the hallway floor and wanted to keep the dog off of the floor so he put the dog in the freezer." There were, also according to the report, two hall closets large enough to hold the dog nearby.

Tyron said Brandon was successfully treated for hypothermia by a local veterinarian but left "traumatized" by the experience. Tyron, meanwhile, is incensed by the incident.

Because he suffers from mental health issues, Tyron, 33, considers his pets "my lifeline." When it became apparent Schneider did not share Tyron's fondness for animals, Tyron attempted to end their private business relationship and gave Schneider a month to move on. Shortly thereafter, Tyron happened to find Brandon in the closet on an upper shelf but he "didn't think anything of it" at the time.

On Sunday, however, "He (Schneider) went crazy. I had animals and he sabotaged them," Tyron said, alleging Schneider abused his tropical fish and birds, as well. Newport Police, however, found no evidence to substantiate that claim.

"My pets are my family, my children," Tyron continued. "They mean more to me than any human being. People who harm animals need to be prosecuted to the fullest extent and be committed somewhere to get help for lots and lots of years. They need to pay the price."

A preliminary hearing for Schneider is scheduled for 3 p.m. on May 10.

http://www.newportnewstimes.com/articles/2004/05/05/news/news10.txt

I'll be dropping the court aline to see if they can have his punishment as being locke in a cupboard with me, a ream of A4 paper and a broom handle.

Emps

Episodic analgesia

Just had this mentioned on World of Pain and although I couldn't find much on it (it possibly has a other names) I did find this:

Another puzzle - losing a limb or a finger or toe, for instance, could result in a state known as episodic analgesia. Here the victim is perfectly aware of what has happened, but feels no pain at the site where injury has occurred. The absence of pain is instant but only lasts for a limited time. The upshot of this could very well be a victim complaining about being given an injection but unaffected by a much more severe injury - at least for a time.

http://healthyliving.allinfo-about.com/pain.html

Emps

Back