• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Energy Drinks (Red Bull, Etc.): ULs & Folklore

UKjelly=USjello, UKjam=USjelly

The substance you mean Rainy is Rennet

Cheese is made by coagulating milk to give curds which are then separated from the liquid, whey, after which they can be processed and matured to produce a wide variety of cheeses. Milk is coagulated by the addition of rennet. The active ingredient of rennet is the enzyme, chymosin (also known as rennin). The usual source of rennet is the stomach of slaughtered newly-born calves. Vegetarian cheeses are manufactured using rennet from either fungal or bacterial sources. Advances in genetic engineering processes means they may now also be made using chymosin produced by genetically altered micro-organisms.
Manufacture

source

The Chinese, Japanese, Arabics, Hitler,Turks etc...
I don't think it would be possible to create any creature that would want to be eaten as no sentient being has 'free will' anyway. The primary instinct which leads any species to exist is the will to survive. As soon as we are born, we are in competition with everything else.
I think a lot of people get the wrong idea about vegetarians/vegans/fruitarians and their reasonings. As Gandhi once said, "If anyone can prove under laboritory conditions, that they have any superhuman powers then they can collect $1 million!" Oops. That was Rhandi. :lol:

Sorry lol. I haven't got used to this board yet and this is the second time I have posted a reply before reading the rest of the pages.
Most beers now do not use isinglass based fining agents. Most glues are synthetic petrolium based, (The gum on stamps is animal freee by the way).
Mejane, that is like saying it is unethical for a veggie to wear man made fabric footwear because originally shoes were leather. Everything, including gravity, has been tested on animals at some time or other. Some of my friends who are both veggy and vegan prefer to smoke smuggled tobacco rather than pay for the manufacturers' product cigs which are funded by animal research. The tobacco industry has its hand forced into it.
If you look at the Animal Free Shopper, a book laced with animal friendly products which are available widely throughout the country and from well known supermarkets and manufacturers, it needen't be difficult to know which products to use or not.
Also, the Vegan society has a website which has details and updates on products. I know that the crisp flavours are the worst to use unecessarry flavourings derived from dairy or animal. Haribo are disgusting as they use pig and cow geletine in their "Kiddy Sweets" and all products, even through the CJD scare.
Times have changed and consumer preferences have moulded the new frontier in acceptable shopping.

Mythopoeika said:
aussiehippy said:
fluffle said:
I find it interesting that the urban legend is telling vegetarians not to drink Red Bull on account of the taurine being allegedly extracted from bulls' testicles. Who would want to drink something made of testicles??!

The French?

Ah yes, the French.

Isn't Red Bull Banned in France?

Is Red Bull like a form of Speed?

[/quote]

Unfortunately the caffeine content could finish off your moggie... :cry:[/quote]

dont know about the moggie thing but i know when i mix it with vodka it finishes me off megatime.......................... :D

It is popular though, especially when people mix it with alcholic drinks like Vodka.

I don't believe Red Bull contains taurine at all...they just added TA ti the word to conceal its real ingredients ;)

:lol: So thats why it tastes dodgey.

Potential HealthRisks according to this link.

Potential health risks
In 2000, Ross Cooney, a healthy, 18 year old basketball player from Limerick, Ireland died after sharing four cans of the drink before a gaelic football game. An inquiry into his death ruled that he died from Sudden Arrhythmia Death Syndrome and the connection to Red Bull was inconclusive.

In 2001, the drink was investigated by the Swedish National Food Administration after being linked to the deaths of three consumers. It has been subject to a number of other health scares regarding glucuronolactone, a precursor of taurine. Sale of Red Bull as a normal soft drink is prohibited in Denmark, Norway, and France. Due to the link with taurine, local authorities categorized Red Bull as a medicine and suggest customers ask for medical advice before drinking.

The official imported Canadian Red Bull is a caffeinated version of Thai Krating Daeng. Until late 2004, its sale was prohibited in Canada. Now a can must carry a warning label that says:

"Cautions: Contains caffeine. Not recommended for children, pregnant or breast-feeding women, caffeine sensitive persons or to be mixed with alcohol. Do not consume more than 500 ml per day."
However, no such warning label is present on cans sold in the U.S., though people who consume the beverage in excess (more than 2-5 250ml cans in a 24-hour period) have been known to express discomfort, such as nausea, stomach pains, gas, and/or sleeplessness.

Doctors and nutritionists have warned of the dangers of mixing caffeine and alcohol in excessive quantities. Their warnings, however, are mostly unheeded as people who appreciate alcoholic beverages feel strongly that the benefits of mixing Red Bull with alcohol far outweigh the risks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Bull

Says not to mix it with alcohol but thats a popular way of drinking it.

I think it's revolting stuff... and a few sips of it makes me panicky and gives me palpitations.

Which is odd because I adore coffee and never suffer the above side effects when drinking that.

Which suggests to me it's not just caffeine giving it its "kick"...

How much coffee do you normally drink? I'm thinking that Red Bull probably has A LOT more caffeine than coffee, and those symptoms you described are symptamatic of having consumed too much caffeine.

The stuff doesn't bother me, sometimes drink 3 cans of it during a day at work when I'm tired.....

Well if you ever just stop posting we'll know what happened. ;)

How much coffee do you normally drink? I'm thinking that Red Bull probably has A LOT more caffeine than coffee, and those symptoms you described are symptamatic of having consumed too much caffeine.

You could be right. I suppose I generally have maybe 2 strong cups of coffee a day max?

RainyOcean said:
Well if you ever just stop posting we'll know what happened. ;)

It'll be either that, or them Russians have finally caught up with me.

Or they've sacked you from "The Club" (If that is Vic Reeves on your avitar) :lol:

It is indeed Mr Reeves, comedian extraordinaire and wearer of many a fine fake beard.

And drink driver, if I remember correctly....

In that case, here's a tip for the ladies on a night out -
drinking brandy coffees will get you as smashed as vodka-red bulls, with the added bonus that you would look much classier.
And it will keep you warm on those cold winter nights when you wear little more than a belt and a tube top.

Don't know if they sell them in Jumpin' Jacks or Flares though.

I was told by an aquaintance that a sure fire way of easing ' womens cramps ' was to take disolvable co-codamol ( which I'm prescribed ) and immediately glug down a can of Red Bull, apparently it made you feel much better.' Hugh as a kite '
Never did a thing for me. :roll: But then I'm used to caffeine, and co-codamol, perhaps if I wan't , it would have had an effect.

Hahaha! If that's not hardcore enough for you then a possible way to deal with 'woman's cramps' would be to take two paracetamols and wash them down with a syringe full of 'horse'.

:cross eye

I'm sure there wouldn't be any side effects.

Or as your character would say *Before Little Britain*,
"Yeah I know"
Jim Moireeey....I know the chap well. I cannot forgive hm for the drink driving though. (Neither can Bob.)

His classic piece which still remains so?
*Vic*"Atchoooo!!!"
*Bob* "Bless you.!"
*Vic* "Why?"
*Bob* "You just sneezed."
*Vic (Picking up a framed photo of a Rabbi)* No I didn't, I just saw "A Jew"!"
Par excellence from pre-"Bang Bang"

My favourite is the Masterchef spoof from Series 2 of 'The Smell Of...':

'And I didn't make your stuuuupid dinner cry, mmkayyy.'

SniperK2 said:
I was told by an aquaintance that a sure fire way of easing ' womens cramps ' was to take disolvable co-codamol ( which I'm prescribed ) and immediately glug down a can of Red Bull, apparently it made you feel much better.' Hugh as a kite '
Never did a thing for me. :roll: But then I'm used to caffeine, and co-codamol, perhaps if I wan't , it would have had an effect.
Sounds like a new variation of the "Get stoned by taking two asprin washed down with a whole can of Coca Cola" Urban Legend.

Red Bull - for those who don't like their cheap spirits to taste like cheap spirits.

...Yes, to Morwena Banks.
And..."You're a fakey cake maker and I ain't got time for yooooo-hooo!" :lol:

Hahahahaha!

'Does this mean I ate a pair of trousers in your restaurant last week?'

On a sidenote, has anybody here come across the Red Bull they sell in South-east Asia and the vast cloud of urban legends surrounding it? Before I went I to Thailand/Vietnam I was told that the red bull out there wasn't made with caffeine it was made with amphetamines...... I also heard many other weird little claims such as Chang beer (Thai beer) contains a) mercury, b) formaldehyde and so on.

I just assumed people were finding excuses for the shocking hangovers (combine the heat and humidiity out there with the fact the red bull is usually mixed in a small plastic bucket - big enough to build a sandcastle - with 1/3 litre of thai whiskey and 1/3 litre of rum for like, £1.20....and the Chang comes in litre-sized bottles that are 6.5% and cost 80p! do the math!)

But having tried it, I can safely say my hangovers out there were definitely more akin to having spent the night before....ahem.....indulging in certain illicit substances than having simply been getting drunk. I concluded myself that there was probably an unregulated amount of caffeine in the RB hence people felt they were coming up off a hit of speed or similar? Any one else shed any light on this?

I didn't find any particular ill-effects from drinking Chang, SangSom or any of the miriad Red Bull-alikes in Thailand. Nor from eating fried bugs, if it comes to that.
I actually quite liked Chang beer, much nicer than the lagers in India.

The 'Bangkok-tail' we invented (one part vodka, one part 'Brown Mixture' - main ingredient 'opium tincture' - three parts some evil looking Red Bull type product), however, always led to me waking up at strange hours of the night with a thirst unlike any I have ever known.

I expect the 'Red Bull's out there are probably 'stronger' and/or contain ingredients not allowed in the West, but I really don't recall any side or after effects that couldn't be accounted for by the usual heavy drinking in the tropics thing, and I certainly never felt anything like I had taken amphetamines, which I am rather too familiar with.

SDC11408.jpg

Back