• Please be advised there is a potential issue with DD collections, which may result in an excessive amount being taken. Please read the stickied thread in Fortean Times Magazine > General Discussion, Subs etc

Engineered Shortages

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Another weirdness. Military police deployed in China to stop farmers growing crops they didn't approve:

I mean, heck, they are just growing food... but somehow that's wrong?
The stupids are definitely in charge now.

While I'd generally approve of using Military police against farmers this seems OTT. Anybody aware of background info regarding this?

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
While I'd generally approve of using Military police against farmers this seems OTT. Anybody aware of background info regarding this?

ls this related?

“China reins in rural 'enforcers' amid outcry over backyard vegetable-growing ban

A ban on backyard plots of melons, squashes or beans sparks fears over Mao-era agricultural controls.

China's propaganda machine has been scrambling to soothe public anger amid reports that local "agricultural management" officials threatened to uproot backyard fruit and vegetable plots as part of a rural "beautification" campaign.

"Due to the need to create a civilized environment, the planting of climbing vegetables like beans or melons and squashes in front and backyards is strictly forbidden," a notice placed in a village near the northern city of Xian dated April 1 said.

"That includes cucumbers, tomatoes, loofahs, pumpkins, zucchini, etc," said the notice, which caused an outcry after it was photographed and posted by a social media user from the village.

"The village committee will be sending personnel to carry out spot checks, and to destroy any [forbidden crops]," said the notice.”

https://www.rfa.org/english/news/china/garden-ban-04192023130559.html

maximus otter

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
ls this related?

“China reins in rural 'enforcers' amid outcry over backyard vegetable-growing ban

A ban on backyard plots of melons, squashes or beans sparks fears over Mao-era agricultural controls.

China's propaganda machine has been scrambling to soothe public anger amid reports that local "agricultural management" officials threatened to uproot backyard fruit and vegetable plots as part of a rural "beautification" campaign.

"Due to the need to create a civilized environment, the planting of climbing vegetables like beans or melons and squashes in front and backyards is strictly forbidden," a notice placed in a village near the northern city of Xian dated April 1 said.

"That includes cucumbers, tomatoes, loofahs, pumpkins, zucchini, etc," said the notice, which caused an outcry after it was photographed and posted by a social media user from the village.

"The village committee will be sending personnel to carry out spot checks, and to destroy any [forbidden crops]," said the notice.”

https://www.rfa.org/english/news/china/garden-ban-04192023130559.html

maximus otter
It does seem to be connected with that.
What is the real motivation behind this? I find it to be illogical.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
It does seem to be connected with that.
What is the real motivation behind this? I find it to be illogical.

To make the area look pretty. It's not unusual in the West (especially in the USA) to have ordinances against growing vegetables etc in front gardens.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
To make the area look pretty. It's not unusual in the West (especially in the USA) to have ordinances against growing vegetables etc in front gardens.
Sure. It keeps the property prices high.
The USA also has some odd ideas... for example, not allowing people to collect and store rainwater in some states and counties.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Over here (UK) you can have a nice collection of mattresses and old car parts and no one gives a toss.
True at the moment. Not for much longer, I suspect.

Coal

The Ultimate Skepticus
Another weirdness. Military police deployed in China to stop farmers growing crops they didn't approve:

I mean, heck, they are just growing food... but somehow that's wrong?
The stupids are definitely in charge now.
"Dutch Farmers"

Robbrent

Abominable Snowman
I don't really have much to say about the conspiracy to engineer shortages however I do believe that many large corporations are price gouging in order to make up for losses made during the pandemic in particular energy companies

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Neil McCoy-Ward again, exposing the sheer lunacy behind the drive to shut down Dutch farms:

Sid

Justified & Ancient
I'm damn sure that supermarkets are too.
On the news this morning, it seems potatoes are on the list, i.e. means that chips will probably have to be increased in price! Who would have dreamt years ago that one day the British staple - fish & chips would one day cost over £10:00 eh?

Ronnie Jersey

Justified & Ancient
Sure. It keeps the property prices high.
The USA also has some odd ideas... for example, not allowing people to collect and store rainwater in some states and counties.
We can collect rainwater here, when I was a kid my Dad always kept a drum under the leader coming from the roof gutter, in order to catch all the rain, and my Mum would water the vegetable garden with that. We had a huge yard full of trees and flowers.
These days, I don't see anyone doing that - then they whine about the price of water increases!

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
We can collect rainwater here, when I was a kid my Dad always kept a drum under the leader coming from the roof gutter, in order to catch all the rain, and my Mum would water the vegetable garden with that. We had a huge yard full of trees and flowers.
These days, I don't see anyone doing that - then they whine about the price of water increases!
Some states have areas where it's not allowed.
It seems just ludicrous.
It may be because the local water companies have bought somebody off. Or something like that.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Neil Oliver's take on the issue:

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Some states have areas where it's not allowed.
It seems just ludicrous.
It may be because the local water companies have bought somebody off. Or something like that.

I think in some US states this is goes way back to the settlement era - when land rights and water rights were established as different economic entities. Rainwater is effectively deemed to be groundwater in waiting - and therefore belongs to the owner of the latter, not the person who happens to just live under where it falls. I believe I've read somewhere that there's at least one state where it's legal to sell and own a rainwater butt - but not to fill it. It seems utterly bonkers, but it's really just a product of historical frontier capitalism.

I think the issue with greywater is possibly more to do with the potentially harmful effects of impurities - like, for instance, detergents - if the water is not treated properly or is reused inappropriately.

Last edited: