• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

English Griffins?

paulsamotis

Devoted Cultist
Is anyone aware in British myth / legend of griffins? Farnworth, in Widnes, Cheshire (my birthplace) has a legend of a local hero who slew a griffin that was terrorising the neighbourhood in the distant past. It seems to match similar stories of dragon slaying heroes but is definately a griffin rather than a dragon and the story is genuinely old.

Somerset has a griffin as its County logo, it everywhere, on lamposts and signs etc. dunno quite why tho, or if there is a legend attached. I do know Somerset is second only to Yorkshire in general dragon legends, I'll have to do some research.

The Somerset "griffin" is, I believe, a Wyvern, according to local legend, a form of dragon rather than a specifically half-eagle, half lion hybrid (I now live in Bristol!!)

It's a bit late now, but I'll dig out the story and post it tomorrow as I reckon it's a bit of an overlooked story, myth-wise!

The autrhor - Robert Rankin started the Brentford Griffin hoax of 1985 by spreading rumours that a Griffin, not unlike the logo of the Midland Bank, had been seen flying around Brentford. Rankin leaked the story to the press and primed some chums to give their exclusive story of the sightings they had ‘witnessed’. To his surprise, the media hacks interviewed ordinary locals instead, and each of them swore to have seen the magical beastie. Rankin really knew the gag was out of hand when popular ‘hypnotist’, Andrew Collins wrote a book claiming the Griffin was real. Rankin owned up to starting the hoax in Fortean Times. (Issue 80; May 95).

paulsamfreya said:
The Somerset "griffin" is, I believe, a Wyvern, according to local legend, a form of dragon rather than a specifically half-eagle, half lion hybrid (I now live in Bristol!!)

wyverns (also known as a false dragon or pseudodraconis) only have two legs

paulsamfreya said:

Yeah I suppose it doesn't have a griffin's beak, tho it is a similar form to a griffin. It does have four legs tho (or maybe two legs and two arms, it appears to be able to hold a mace!)

The Farnworth Griffin Legend.

Taken from"A History of Farnworth Church, its Village and Parish" by Alan Foster; published locally in 1981 to celebrate 800 years since the church's founding.

"Like many ancestral families in the land, the Bold family name has been associated with a legend, and it was of a blacksmith who slew a Griffin and received the surname of "Bold" as well as the grant of a large tract of land. The Griffin was a mythical beast with the hind quarters of a lion and the head,wings and legs of an eagle. The legend tells how the Griffin was killing and eating the cattle of the district of Farnworth and frightening the people of the village until they were too afraid to venture out of their houses. However, they finally persuaded the village blacksmith to come to their aid and as the legend goes he covered himself with the skin of an ox and, armed with a sword and dagger, laid in wait, with the village cattle, for the beast to appear. Presently, the Griffin with its chilling screams could be heard approaching the field, and the cattle dispersed in fear, leaving the brave blacksmith on his own in the middle of the field to face the ferocious beast. The Griffin, on seeing the skin-covered smithy, immediately went into the attack, grabbing hold of the disguised assailant and picking him up with its claws and carrying him over the River Mersey towards the hills of Rocksavage. While on the way the smithy continued to stab the beast with his dagger, until weak with loss of blood it alighted on Frodsham Hill, where the smithy quickly drew his sword and cut off its head and returned with it to the village as proof of his deed. The villagers on his return, acclaimed him their hero and named him "The Bold" (which is suposed to be the origin of the surname). The legend also says the villagers granted him as much land as he could cover, on horseback, from sunrise to sunset."

Family records show the Bold family living in the area from the 12th Century; a local pub, "The Griffin Inn" (an old haunt of mine!) dates from 1801 and was built by the Bold family. It used to boast a magnificent griffin, etched into its main window, until the late 1980's when a disgruntled customer put a brick through it. :(

There's some chimera carved on the outside of Glasgow cathedral, I'm sure I remember one of those being a griffin (I run that with the caveat that my memory is lousy and the carvings are very badly eroded).

I don't know offhand but they must have been prevelent enough - atleast in Scotland - to make it into the opening of Lewis Grassic Gibbon's novel Sunset Song.

I don't have a copy on me at the moment but it has a line something like 'in days when Griffins and sucklike beasts stilll roamed the Scot's countryside.' (Exept he writes it in a Scots dialect called Doric.

BlackRiverFalls said:
There's some chimera carved on the outside of Glasgow cathedral, I'm sure I remember one of those being a griffin (I run that with the caveat that my memory is lousy and the carvings are very badly eroded).

I'd be more lightly to call them composit beasts as I'm not sure they're Griffins as such.

I'll try to get a picture.

A town near me (Griffydam, in Leicestershire) is famous in the area for its griffin legend.

Way back when, a griffin landed in the village and curled up around the well. The villagers were too scared to approach it, and so had to walk over two miles to the next town to fetch water. This went on for quite a while, until one day a wandering knight arrived and asked for water for his horse. The villagers explained the situation, and so the knight decided to save the village by slaying the griffin (one version is that he asked for the strongest bow and arrow and, when the griffin yawned, he shot an arrow straight down its throat). The griffin's body was thrown down the well, earning the village its name and its emblem.

Local legend also states that the griffin's hide was taken to Breedon church (a very important church at that time) and kept there as either a reminder or a trophy. One day I should really go up there to find out if it's still there :D

Cheers Raya, I thought there must be more griffins out there!

Incidently, similarly to your local legend, the Farnworth griffin's skin is said to reside in a vault beneath Farnworth church, brought back as a trophy by John (I think) Bold. A lion skin perhaps?

Mind you, there is also supposed to be the body of a princess in a crystal coffin down there ( I kid you not!)

Back