• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Entities I’ve Seen In My Bedroom

SketchyMagpie

Junior Acolyte
Disclaimer: my rational mind won’t allow me to accept these sightings as anything other than something that my brain concocted on the edge of sleep, so I’m not presenting it as something I “believe” to be paranormal, but it was enough to seriously get my heart beating.

For context, the room in which I currently sleep and use as a studio has always had strange occurrences whilst I’ve lived here. I won’t go into detail but this includes hearing tapping in the night and a couple of things going missing and then turning up in an inexplicably obvious place where it couldn’t have possibly been missed, appearing on the floor behind me whilst I was alone in the room in one case. I have a friend who claims to be “sensitive” (I can’t speak to that other than to say she has called me a few times to check on me right when I’ve been at extremely low ebbs so I trust her) and she swears blind she has seen a shadow person in this room (that’s not the term she used but the description matches).

So anyway, these sightings both occurred roughly within 20 minutes of me going to sleep and in both cases I woke up with a start. The first time I woke up to see a huge pulsating black shape (it reminded me of the smoke monster from Lost) that I think had an octopus-like quality to it emerge from the far wall at the end of my bed, glide smoothly alongside me as if on rails with tentacles flowing and disappear through the opposite wall. I had the impression it was simply travelling along the row of houses, perhaps even unaware of the people inside them. I had leapt up into the corner against the wall and my heart was absolutely pounding.

The second time occurred about a year later, I’m not really sure, but it happened in a similar way. I sleep with the curtains open so I can usually see a bit of light on the ceiling above the window when I wake up (I don’t like pitch black darkness) and, this time, I awoke to see what was very clearly a large (think cat-sized) spider right in that spot of light above the window. It crawled across the ceiling towards me and down onto the same section of wall where the previous “thing” had exited the room, by which time I had scrambled to grab my phone and turned on the torchlight and, of course, there was nothing there.

I have never experienced night terrors and there was no sleep paralysis involved in either scenario, it just is what it is. As I say, my mind categorises them as waking dreams but that’s still not enough to stop me from flicking the light on and off when I come back from the bathroom in the night!

Welcome to the board, and for sharing.

Some questions, if I may:
How long have you been living there?
How many times have you experienced these 'entities'?
Have you experienced similar and/or slept in another room?

Thanks for the welcome! I’ve been living here for about 20 years or so, those are the only two times I have seen anything. The rest is all normally just noises in the night (apart from two occasions when things have gone missing and reappeared in inexplicable places, as I mentioned) and, to be honest, the noises in the night don’t bother me at all, although a couple of girlfriends who’ve stayed here have gotten freaked out. It’s nothing major though, just occasionally sounds like someone is walking around the room tapping on things and a few times a sound like paper rustling. I do this in a half-joking way, but if I’m ever in bed and there’s a particularly loud noise starting I usually turn over, tell it to go away and then it stops. But I don’t believe that is literally me telling something to stop and then it does, it’s probably just more a ritual for my own ease than anything! Also, I would say I’ve heard it much less in the last few years.

I did used to hear noises in my childhood bedroom but I think that was just the house settling, now, it was very different to what I hear in this room. There was one occasion where I think something may have disappeared and reappeared in that bizarre way but I can’t be sure if my memory is accurate.

Besides that, I’ve never heard anything unusual in other locations I’ve slept but was not living at.

Interesting that the two instances you describe happened in the same area of the room. Environmental factors?

Interesting that the two instances you describe happened in the same area of the room. Environmental factors?

Well they ended in the same point, but starting points are quite far apart. To be honest, if you take the explanation I have that it’s my half-sleeping mind playing tricks, they’re both just “out in the room” and coming towards me in a vague way, since they both ended a few feet to my right rather than atop me (thankfully!).

It crawled across the ceiling towards me and down onto the same section of wall where the previous “thing” had exited the room...

Welcome on board, and thanks for this interesting account.

From your description, the first thing that occurred to me was a trick of the light; specifically, an effect caused by - say - a passing car's headlights creating a movement of light and shade sweeping across your ceiling, then seeming to "vanish" at the same place.

The entities' apparent "movement on rails" could be accounted for by cars having to travel along the same route past your home, i.e. the road.

Add the confusion/disorientation caused by being awoken suddenly (by the sound of the cars' passage?), and pow!

maximus otter

Welcome on board, and thanks for this interesting account.

From your description, the first thing that occurred to me was a trick of the light; specifically, an effect caused by - say - a passing car's headlights creating a movement of light and shade sweeping across your ceiling, then seeming to "vanish" at the same place.

The entities' apparent "movement on rails" could be accounted for by cars having to travel along the same route past your home, i.e. the road.

Interesting explanation (and one I'd be open to), though the geography doesn't really pan out for that to be honest as there's no road going alongside the house. There are just houses opposite my window (facing sideways, so there are no bedroom windows facing mine) and an alleyway.

The second time occurred about a year later, I’m not really sure, but it happened in a similar way. I sleep with the curtains open so I can usually see a bit of light on the ceiling above the window when I wake up (I don’t like pitch black darkness) and, this time, I awoke to see what was very clearly a large (think cat-sized) spider right in that spot of light above the window. It crawled across the ceiling towards me and down onto the same section of wall where the previous “thing” had exited the room, by which time I had scrambled to grab my phone and turned on the torchlight and, of course, there was nothing there.
I once saw a non-existant spider climbing down the wall in the middle of the night. It was a hypnopompic hallucination. It isn't anything to worry about unless it is happening a lot. I will admit I would have been worried about the tentacle thing had I seen that! Maybe this is what has occurred here?

Hypnagogic or hypnopompic hallucinations are visual, tactile, auditory, or other sensory events, usually brief but occasionally prolonged, that occur at the transition from wakefulness to sleep (hypnagogic) or from sleep to wakefulness (hypnopompic). The phenomenon is thought to have been first described by the Dutch physician Isbrand Van Diemerbroeck in 1664.[1] The person may hear sounds that are not there and see visual hallucinations. These visual and auditory images are very vivid and may be bizarre or disturbing.

https://patient.info/doctor/hypnagogic-hallucinations

Yeah, that's the interpretation I go with! That's also why I was kind of resistant to the idea of it being lights from the street, it being hypnopompic hallucinations makes more sense to me (given the full context).

I once saw a non-existant spider climbing down the wall in the middle of the night.

When my first wife was heavily pregnant I woke in the middle of the night in the sure knowledge that there was a giant spider in the bed with us. I knew that if she saw it she would go into labour so I slipped out of bed and, on my hands and knees, started searching under the quilt for it.
I worked my way around the bed and when I was half way up her side I saw she was looking at me.
When she asked what I was up to I snapped out of it and mumbled some pathetic excuse and got back in to bed.
I don’t recall this being as a result of a dream, just something that arose in that state between being asleep and awake

I have never experienced night terrors and there was no sleep paralysis involved in either scenario...
Welcome and let me introduce you to my son. :)

He has experienced similar and determined to resolve the issue, recorded the following video, in which he challenges any such, 'entity' to evidence its presence.

You entitled the thread, 'Entities I've Seen In My Bedroom' and James calls his brief video, 'The ghost in my bedroom...':

That's interesting, thanks for sharing! Certainly goes beyond what I've experienced in that it was actually an unknown item that turned up, how weird.

My experiences with stuff disappearing and reappearing are as follows.... in the first case, I had just signed up for a Uni illustration course about 11 years ago and we were tasked with filling a sketchbook with drawings to take in for our first lesson. I did that but then the night before the lesson I couldn't find the sketchbook anywhere so, in a bit of a panic, I went looking through all the cupboards and drawers in my room (I knew it wouldn't be anywhere else) and, after about an hour of searching, I gave up, turned around and that's when I saw it on the floor in the middle of the room (with nothing else around it and I had not put anything down there in the process of searching).

The second time was two years ago and this one relies quite heavily on the colour of the objects involved. I have an art stencil tool (an A4ish block of plastic with various different sized circles cut out of it) that is bright orange and I'd always keep it on my desk, to the left of where I sit so that it's always within easy reach when I'm drawing. The desk is black so, as you can imagine, the orange stencil stands out against it very clearly. But then I came to use it one day and it wasn't there and I exhausted every other possible place I might have put it in the room before giving up and committing myself to walking to town to buy a new one (as I needed it to finish a job). Then I get back and, as you've probably guessed.... it's right there where I expected it to be in the first place, absolutely unmissable against the black desk.

In both cases there was nobody in the house who would have been playing a joke on me or anything (especially as the second instance was related to my work).

I gave up, turned around and that's when I saw it on the floor in the middle of the room (with nothing else around it and I had not put anything down there in the process of searching).
Spectacular! :)

This is an update to the aforementioned, 'My post on another thread' and something I wasn't going to mention otherwise.

A few weeks ago, I asked if anything else had been occurring in my granddaughter's bedroom.

Apparently there were items going missing and then turning up in places which had been thoroughly searched.

One example was a hairband which had disappeared and reappeared.

Naturally, I queried could it simply have been overlooked.

The response was, 'I had only just hoovered the bedroom and went over that exact spot several times...'.

Seriously, that is a genuine anecdote and seemingly only one of similar occurances.

Actually, I need to phone shortly and shall enquire re any further, 'anomalies'.

Weird dream/hypnagogic thing. I'd been binge-reading that delightful cartoon series "Scandinavia And The World" which I can wholly reccomend (the rest of the world as viewed from Denmark, where each country is represented by its own national personification). Went to bed. I'd been reading behind the cartoon strip and wanted to find out more, out of curiosity, about the author: read up on her bio which included her self-portarits and photos. Drifted off, and bugger me, there she was; Humon, the authoress, walking a little way into my room, a look of surprise on her face as if she was wondering how she'd got there; she looked at me as if trying to work out who the hell I was and what the Hell she was doing there. I sort of jerked awake in utter surprise, nothing there. But... damn... what was going on in my mind to summon up a competent webcomicist? Hope I didn't drag her all the way from Denmark on an astral trip...

Scandinavia and the World

Weird dream/hypnagogic thing. I'd been binge-reading that delightful cartoon series "Scandinavia And The World" which I can wholly reccomend (the rest of the world as viewed from Denmark, where each country is represented by its own national personification). Went to bed. I'd been reading behind the cartoon strip and wanted to find out more, out of curiosity, about the author: read up on her bio which included her self-portarits and photos. Drifted off, and bugger me, there she was; Humon, the authoress, walking a little way into my room, a look of surprise on her face as if she was wondering how she'd got there; she looked at me as if trying to work out who the hell I was and what the Hell she was doing there. I sort of jerked awake in utter surprise, nothing there. But... damn... what was going on in my mind to summon up a competent webcomicist? Hope I didn't drag her all the way from Denmark on an astral trip...

Scandinavia and the World
You summoned her! :)

well, it's not as if the Astral Plane requires you to book or pay for a ticket. Imagine astral travel organised by Ryanair? all the small-print extras, and if you want to go to Shangri-La but you have to land a hundred miles away in Katmandu?

And... what do you do, email the artist, and tell her she suddently appeared in my bedroom? I can see any rational woman reacting positively to a message like that from a complete stranger...

Last edited:
Just remembered a 'panic waking' some years ago, when I leaped up screaming that there was a moth in the room and it had landed on my face. My then bed-partner soothed me in a somewhat patronising manner, told me it was just a dream, go back to sleep...only to leap screaming out of bed about ten minutes later because the (very real and actual) moth had just landed on HIS face.

One thing puzzles me. Why do these entities always appear in a bedroom?

Well, again with my sceptical hat on, one might say such entities aren’t real and so can only appear during hallucinations so, for most people, that will occur when they’re between being awake and asleep in bed.

On the other hand, this is the room I spend most time in as it serves as my studio space for work so if it would happen anywhere, makes sense it would be in here. Though none of the stuff I’ve experienced - save for the stuff that disappears and reappears - happens in the daytime, or perhaps I just don’t notice the tapping etc until there’s total silence in the room.

Wasn't there a ghost survey done at some point which discounted any sightings made which started with the words 'I'd just woken up' or 'I'd just started to fall asleep'? Or was I hallucinating that?

This would be an entity I wouldn't want to see in my bedroom, ever. Nightmares would involve this entity and marriage..
tmsaltvampire.jpg

This would be an entity I wouldn't want to see in my bedroom, ever. Nightmares would involve this entity and marriage..
tmsaltvampire.jpg
But it is a shape changer so it could be whatever or whoever you wanted it to be...

I guess it's not the entity part, but the marriage part; which the entity visually represents for me.. Be happy if you are happily married is the takeaway :)

One thing puzzles me. Why do these entities always appear in a bedroom?
Speculating in a mystical sort of a way here, for the sake of the argument.

Thinking liminals, edges, boundaries: the bedroom is in its way a boundary. It marks the place where humans habitually and repeatedly make the transition from a conscious to an unconscious state. It belongs as much to the unconscious or Other mind as it does to the conscious. No other room in the house even comes close. Let's call it a doorway, a portal, to the Other. Over the years, that association is reinforced time after time. Not just by you: whoever lived in that house before you is also likely to have used that room for sleeping. An accumulator effect over years, even generations? Is it so surprising that there's a doorway there, and things might go in and out, hopefully even knocking first or ringing the doorbell..

Wasn't there a ghost survey done at some point which discounted any sightings made which started with the words 'I'd just woken up' or 'I'd just started to fall asleep'? Or was I hallucinating that?

To be honest, you could equally make an argument to discount any sightings that start with "I saw a ghost..." ;p

But in seriousness, I think it's interesting to talk about as a matter of human perception alone, regardless of if it's *literally* an external being that exists outside of your head or not.

Back