• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Entombed Bats

Dickydevo

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
please can anyone tell me stories or folklore of bats entombed in rock,stone,trees etc?

A lot of old bridges were reinforced about 20- years ago and I remember someone saying future generations would question why we felt the need to entomb bats in old bridges.
That's interesting, if it can be backed up by references. Otherwise it's just hearsay.

A lot of old bridges were reinforced about 20- years ago and I remember someone saying future generations would question why we felt the need to entomb bats in old bridges.
To ward off vampires of course.

I can't locate any clear reports of a 'bat in the hole' analogous to a 'toad in the hole' (i.e., entombed in rock).

But there's a report of a bat alleged to have been entombed in a tomb space for over 100 years in:

Note on the Extraordinary Torpidity of a Bat. By the Rev. Alfred Charles Smith, M.A.
The Zoologist, Vol. 12, 1854, pp. 4245-4248.

Enter "Torpidity of a Bat" into Google and you'll get direct links to the article within Google Books.

I can't locate any clear reports of a 'bat in the hole' analogous to a 'toad in the hole' (i.e., entombed in rock).

But there's a report of a bat alleged to have been entombed in a tomb space for over 100 years in:

Note on the Extraordinary Torpidity of a Bat. By the Rev. Alfred Charles Smith, M.A.
The Zoologist, Vol. 12, 1854, pp. 4245-4248.

Enter "Torpidity of a Bat" into Google and you'll get direct links to the article within Google Books.
Thanks this is very interesting.Keep the information flowing!Or should that be fluttering?!

There are reports of live bats (normally in a torpid state) found entombed in walls or other structures, in cavities in rocks, or apparently sealed inside trunks of trees.
In the New Scientist in 1988 was a book review on a book on the Conservation of European Bats, which had the following paragraph mentioning the unintentional "embedding" of bats in mines that were sealed off- I guess the same thing has happened in the past when old bridges are "renovated".

Attachments

• Entombed bats.jpg
    Entombed bats.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 12
There are reports of live bats (normally in a torpid state) found entombed in walls or other structures, in cavities in rocks, or apparently sealed inside trunks of trees.
In the New Scientist in 1988 was a book review on a book on the Conservation of European Bats, which had the following paragraph mentioning the unintentional "embedding" of bats in mines that were sealed off- I guess the same thing has happened in the past when old bridges are "renovated".
Thanks very much for this Toad in the Hole.
Coming round for dinner ? lol

Back