Environmental Issues

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Elon Musk’s Space-X has lunched 1,000 Starlink satellites with a goal of 40,000 for global internet.

Astronomer’s claim this will end the study of the stars as clear pictures of the sky will be an impossibility.

Has anyone really thought this out ?

feinman

Account Retired
Reaction score
Elon Musk’s Space-X has lunched 1,000 Starlink satellites with a goal of 40,000 for global internet.

Astronomer’s claim this will end the study of the stars as clear pictures of the sky will be an impossibility.

We don't do a very good job of thinking things out do we? Kind of a remedial species we are, always trying to clean up mistakes as we pay it forward to future generations. :dunno:

Ogdred Weary

Rough Beast, slouching towards Bethlehem
Reaction score

Do we need another 40,000 satellites? Is that to provide internet in countries that don't have much infrastructure.

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Iceland is the number one place in the world to watch whales, which brings in much money from tourists.

But covid stopped the tourist, and the environmentalists are just thrilled saying the whales are happy the sight seeing boats are gone.

My question is how do you know a happy whale ?

Do they smile?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Iceland is the number one place in the world to watch whales, which brings in much money from tourists.

But covid stopped the tourist, and the environmentalists are just thrilled saying the whales are happy the sight seeing boats

are gone.

Do they smile?
Beluga whales do, thisone is well happy at being rescued :)

beluga-whales-rescued-vegan-plant-based-news-1.jpg

Ogdred Weary

Reaction score

But covid stopped the tourist, and the environmentalists are just thrilled saying the whales are happy the sight seeing boats are gone.

Do they smile?

Good place to watch whales getting slaughtered* too.

*not in the sense of drunk.

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I was shocked when the program I was watching said that Iceland, Japan, and Norway allowed commercial whale hunting !

I thought the killing of whales was a thing in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ogdred Weary

Reaction score
I was shocked when the program I was watching said that Iceland, Japan, and Norway allowed commercial

whale hunting !

The Faroe Islands too, possibly one or two other places as well.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
I was shocked when the program I was watching said that Iceland, Japan, and Norway allowed commercial whale hunting !

Here is an article from the WWF regarding whaling. Currently only Japan and Iceland hunt whales for 'scientific' purposes.

https://wwf.panda.org/discover/knowledge_hub/endangered_species/cetaceans/threats/whaling/?

Norway currently kills more whales than any other country.

"Norway has surpassed Japan and Iceland in its whale hunting quotas (which do not include dolphins), and now officially kills more whales than any country in the world.

http://savedolphins.eii.org/news/entry/norway-now-kills-more-whales-than-japan

Native Alaskans are also permitted to hunt whales.

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/17/us/in-sacred-whale-hunt-eskimos-use-modern-tools.html

Coastaljames

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I guess we're not meant to care about the environment now we're dumping billions of billions of plastic PPE in the sea.

Breaks my heart, and it's going to be a big, big problem in the future. A problem the likes of which we can't imagine.

Ogdred Weary

Reaction score
Torches lit by French vintners/farmers to try to prevent unseasonable cold weather from killing their crops, many failed:

vintn.jpg

vinyards.jpg

Vardoger

Make mine a 99
Reaction score
Here is an article from the WWF regarding whaling. Currently only Japan and Iceland hunt whales for 'scientific' purposes.

https://wwf.panda.org/discover/knowledge_hub/endangered_species/cetaceans/threats/whaling/?

Norway currently kills more whales than any other country.

"Norway has surpassed Japan and Iceland in its whale hunting quotas (which do not include dolphins), and now officially kills more whales than any country in the world.

http://savedolphins.eii.org/news/entry/norway-now-kills-more-whales-than-japan

Native Alaskans are also permitted to hunt whales.

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/17/us/in-sacred-whale-hunt-eskimos-use-modern-tools.html
We only kill species that are not in danger of going extinct. You can get whale burgers in Norway. Very tasty!

1618150756694.png

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
The rate at which pandas reproduce they may as well try and grow the actual animals in a lab.
Pandas do seem to be naturally indolent. It may have something to do with a high-carb diet.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Yes, my GP warned me about that.

They said eat protein instead.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Learning from past societies.

At first glance, it might seem that archaeology and ecology don't have much in common.

One unearths the ancient human past; the other studies the interactions of living organisms. But taking the long view in understanding humans' influence on ecosystems and vice versa can provide new insights in both fields, according to a new study by researchers from the Santa Fe Institute, Utah State University, and the University of Washington.

Employing ecological tools such as food web modeling can help archaeologists create a fuller picture of the ways people interacted with their environment in the distant past. At the same time, as archaeologists reconstruct the human-environment relationship in ancient communities, those insights can better inform ecologists' ideas of how the past has shaped the present, and humanity's place in today's ecosystems, says archaeologist Stefani Crabtree of SFI and Utah State University, the lead author of the study published April 30 in the journal Antiquity.

"Because we have this record of people going out into the environment and bringing things back home, and then those things being deposited in middens, or trash heaps, we actually have a really good record of how people were interacting with the environment," she says. "They did all kinds of things to modify their environment. And so we can look back in the archaeological record, and it can help calibrate our understanding of our ecosystems today."

Ancient communities may seem far removed from us, but they have much to teach us, she adds. ...

https://phys.org/news/2021-05-ancient-food-webs-sustainable-futures.html

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A Canadian oil company, ReconAfrica, thinks they have found the “ glory hole “ in Namibia on the border of Angola and Botswana.

Billions and billions of barrels oil waiting to be extracted.

Opponents claim a very fragile regional ecosystems will disappear.

There is already talk of oil drill towers as far as the eye can see.

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
When I was a kid it was said oil came from dead dinosaurs.

I do not think that theory holds up ?

Vardoger

Make mine a 99
Reaction score
When I was a kid it was said oil came from dead dinosaurs.

I do not think that theory holds up ?
These days they think it's from dead bacteria. I think a large part of people still think it's fossilized fuel from dinosaurs.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
These days they think it's from dead bacteria. I think a large part of people still think it's fossilized fuel from dinosaurs.
Some of it might be dead dinosaur juice, but it's possible that much of it is decayed algae and other sea vegetation.
There may also be a considerable mass of bacteria, yes.
Looking at the oceans as they are now, there is a lot of sludge at the bottom which is mostly rotting algae.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
At first glance, it might seem that archaeology and ecology don't have much in common.

Who writes this junk?

They sure dont know much about Archaeology and Ecology.

Archaeology involves learning how folk interact with the environment

And Ecology involves learning about the environment, and how humans interact with it.

Easy!

charliebrown

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Chicago buildings at night turn down the lights on the shore line as thousands of migrating birds die crashing into

buildings.

Birds navigate by both sun and moon light, and the city lights screw up their navigation sense.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
Chicago buildings at night turn down the lights on the shore line as thousands of migrating birds die crashing into

buildings.

Birds navigate by both sun and moon light, and the city lights screw up their navigation sense.
I saw a programme recently where they do something similar near the beaches where sea turtles hatch, to stop the hatchlings heading inland instead of headind for the moon reflecting off of the sea.