• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Sandstorms / Dust Storms / Haboobs

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Desert dust storm chokes Sydney

Australia's biggest city, Sydney, has been shrouded in red dust blown in by winds from the deserts of the outback.

Visibility is so bad that international flights have been diverted and harbour ferry traffic disrupted.

Emergency services reported a surge in calls from people suffering breathing problems. Children and the elderly have been told to stay indoors.

Sydney's landmarks, including the Opera House, have been obscured, and many residents are wearing masks.

Traffic has been bumper-to-bumper on major roads.

The dust blanketing eastern parts of New South Wales has been carried by powerful winds that snatched up tons of topsoil from the drought-ravaged west of the state.

One Sydney resident told the Associated Press news agency: "The colour was amazing... I'm 72 years old and I've never seen that in my life before."

The Australian Bureau of Meteorology warned of "widespread damaging winds" in Sydney and other areas, as gusts of 65km/h (40mph) hit the city.

Forecasters predicted the winds would weaken later on Wednesday.

The BBC's Phil Mercer in Sydney says it has been a difficult 24 hours for Australia, which has been hit by earthquakes, hail storms and bushfires.

In parts of New South Wales, huge hail stones whipped up by thunderstorms smashed windows and sent residents running for cover.

Further north in Queensland, officials banned open fires in many areas when bushfires sprang up after a spell of hot, dry weather.

Two minor earthquakes hit Victoria state on Tuesday, and heavy rains that followed led officials to issue a warning of flash floods.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-p ... 270104.stm

TBH, I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often in Oz. Even here in UK we sometimes get 'red rains', when dust gets blown here from the Sahara. This happens every few years (maybe every year?), certainly not at decades long intervals!

I've experienced sandstorms in the Sahara, and mini ones on sandy beaches in Britain, but this is unexpected:

8 killed in German pile-up caused by sand storm
A sand storm in northern Germany caused a huge highway pile-up on Friday that killed eight people and injured at least 41 others, police said
12:09AM BST 09 Apr 2011 Comment

Rostock police spokesman Volker Werner said rescue operations were still under way and the death toll could rise.
At least 41 people were injured, many of them seriously, and were brought to nearby hospitals. Others who suffered shocks or bruising received treatment on the spot, Werner said.

In total some 110 people in 80 cars and three trucks were involved in the crash a few miles from the Baltic Sea, Werner said. At least 17 vehicles caught fire, including a truck carrying flammable material.

"Unfortunately, it looks like the death toll could rise further," Werner said. Several corpses were thought to be in the burned vehicles, he added.
"One truck has crashed on a car, so we don't know yet how many people are in the car below it," he said.

The crash in Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania state was caused by a sand storm, but it was unclear if this was down to a sudden lack of visibility or by sand on the road, Werner said.
Strong winds may have carried the sand from nearby fields – one of them freshly ploughed – to the four-lane highway, Werner said.
The region has recently experienced prolonged dry conditions, affecting agriculture and leaving many soils exposed to erosion.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/trave ... storm.html

I believe there are a lot of sandy beaches on that part of the Baltic coast - no doubt the sand sometimes get blown inland onto the fields.

Iran sandstorm kills at least four in Tehran
[Video]

A powerful sandstorm has hit Iran's capital, Tehran, killing at least four people and injuring about 30.
At its peak, the storm brought winds of up to 110km/hour (70mph), knocking over trees and damaging windows.

Eyewitnesses told the BBC the sky turned orange from thick dust brought on by the storm. Such strong storms are unusual in Tehran, correspondents say.
The storm caused power cuts and traffic accidents from poor visibility as dust and sand engulfed parts of the capital.
Some domestic flights to central Iran have been diverted, AP news agency reports.

One shopkeeper in Tehran, identified only as Nouri, told AP news agency: "It was a horrifying storm and suddenly everywhere went dark.
"I closed my store's shutters to prevent damage. [A] big tree broke and knocked in the windows, shattering them."

The total number of deaths is unclear. Iranian state television said five were killed, while state-run Irna news agency said four died.
Some of the deaths were reportedly caused by falling trees.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-27669395

Apocalyptic skies as Beijing hit by worst sandstorm in a decade

The storm caused an unprecedented spike in air pollution measurements - with pollution levels in some districts at 160 times the recommended limit.

Hundreds of flights were cancelled or grounded as the sky was covered by an apocalyptic-looking orange haze.

The sand is being brought in by strong winds from Inner Mongolia.

In Mongolia the severe sandstorms have reportedly caused six deaths and left dozens missing.
Like something out of Blade Runner 2049

Buildings are seen in the central business district of Beijing

8 killed in German pile-up caused by sand storm
Here's a similar incident in which a sandstorm or dust storm caused a major traffic accident with fatalities.
7 people are dead and several more injured after sandstorm leads to 20 vehicle crash in Utah

Seven people are dead and several more were critically injured when authorities say a sand or dust storm caused visibility issues that led to a series of crashes involving 20 vehicles in Utah Sunday evening.

The crashes happened on I-15 near Kanosh, the Utah Department of Public Service (DPS) said in a news release.

Several people were transported to local hospitals in critical condition, officials said. Authorities did not specify how many people were injured but noted there could be more fatalities. ...
FULL STORY (With Photos): https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/26/us/utah-sandstorm-multi-vehicle-crash/index.html

Here's an edited composite video illustrating a rare haboob that engulfed multiple Brazilian towns recently.

NOTE: I recommend you turn the sound down or mute the audio.

'Mad Max'-like dust storm envelops Brazilian city in cloud of doom

A towering wave of orange dust filled the horizon and whooshed over a neighborhood in a recent video of a rare sandstorm in northwestern São Paulo, Brazil.

As the choking cloud rushed past the camera, it transformed the city skyline into a scene that would have looked right at home in the arid wasteland of the post-apocalyptic "Mad Max" movies.

On Sunday (Sept. 26), residents of several cities in the state of São Paulo experienced the unusual storm. Footage of the event was captured in four Brazilian municipalities on multiple cameras belonging to Clima au Vivo (CV), a private company that uses live camera feeds to monitor and record weather for local news agencies, according to the company website. ...

A storm like this, in which strong winds whip up a vast wall of dust that can measure thousands of feet high, is known as a haboob. ...

Haboobs are rare in this part of Brazil, but recent high temperatures and dry conditions in the region fueled strong winds that whipped up a blinding storm cloud, gusting at 57 mph (92 km/h) in Ribeirão Preto ...
FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/massive-dust-storm-brazil

Back