• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

essex anomalies

A

Anonymous

Just wondered if anybody has heard of King Hares. I have a freind who lives in a tiny hamlet in essex (also ripe with ABC sightings), who talks about these as if they are commonly known. He describes them as just being massive hares. The "king" prefixed reminded me of master otters.

He swears that he has seen a photo, on somebody's wall, of a king hare being held up, and that it it as long as a man.

I know hares can be pretty long anyway, so i'm pretty sceptical, but he seems to think that they are common knowledge to local people (no league of Gentlemen inferrence intended).

I would be really interested if this is a bit of crypto-folklore, has anyone else come across it?

I remember seeing a pic of a 4-5ft rabbit in FT a couple of years ago... it's not impossible (I didn't dream that in a Harvey-style episode did I???)

more

It was definately a hare, not a rabbit that they were talking about, and the picture was apparently on some old man's wall. of course i desperately tried to get him to locate it, but so far, no joy.

On the subject of huge rabbits there was something featured in the press in the last week or so about a new record being set for a British rabbit which had grown to something like 4 stones..can't find a link to it, unfortuately, but will keep trying - I think the rabbit was owned by a little girl and they were pictured together..aw..
Also my sister swears that several years ago on the way back from a beach party in Cornwall (Portreath) she saw several, exceptionally large rabbits in the road which had blue eyes - this was near Nancecuke I seem to recall!

A bit O/T, but as we're talking about rabbits...

Many years ago, whilst cycling six miles to work, I passed a fairly dense area of woodland. At fairly regular intervals (I'd say around every 50 feet), on the grass verge, were five or six rabbits. All sitting with their backs to the road, facing into the woods, and all totally still. Usually when I encounter wild rabbits they make a run for the nearest cover, but I found the lack of movement here, along with the spacing and repetition, quite unsettling, as if they were watching, or waiting for something in the woods.

Any ideas?

marylou said:
He swears that he has seen a photo, on somebody's wall, of a king hare being held up, and that it it as long as a man.

Ha! I can see this becoming the new Thunderbird photo...

I've never heard of these King Hares, fascinating stuff. The presence of ABCs is interesting too... it almost makes you want to think there's some magical local force making animals grow to a massive size.

I don't know of any fake giant rabbit pics, but there's always the giant cat one.

big buggers

Check out my earlier post for a classic big rabbit fake.

my friend did tell me that he has seen very large dragonflies as well.

This area of essex was in the past, and maybe now, the most fertile farmland in the u.k.

My mates garden also backs onto stansted airport, so it could be all that spent uranium they use as ballast.

( uh oh! i can see a conspiracy building developing)

Vague bells ring at the back of my mind regarding "king hares". Perhaps someone can confim that that is what the feral wallabies in the midlands used to be called

Back