• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Essex Polt?

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
I bumped into a buddy of mine on the train Thursday morning. We see each other quite frequently at the station and I enjoy his company on the rattler into London. On Thursday he looked around quite furtively to see if anyone was listening then sheepishly asked if I believed in ghosts? I truthfully said it was an obsession of mine when I was younger but I am much more of a skeptic these days.
His house was built in the 1500’s in a relatively remote area of Essex and comes complete with a priest hole. Due to its remoteness he has had external and internal security cameras which flag up movement when the house is unoccupied. He then proceeded to show me a couple of videos from the kitchen security camera showing orbs. These were captured in daylight, the orbs moved at great speed,were very small and were very intense. The first moved across the frame from right to left and he had to repeat it twice more before I actually saw it (it was on his phone and the image was quite small). The second video showed a similar sized orb moving from the bottom of the right-hand side of the frame to the top, it passed out of the kitchen door proceeded into the next room and seemed to pas out of the window; the odd thing is that as it drew up to the window the curtains flicked up before falling immediately back into place. They didn’t blow up as if caught by the wind the sort of lifted very quickly before immediately falling back into place.
He then showed me some stills taken on his phone. The first one was of a vacuum cleaner that they couldn’t find until searching the house from top to bottom they discovered it in a small corner shower unit in a spare bedroom. The next two were of an ornament they found one morning that was sitting on the bathroom carpet surrounded by keys from a key rack downstairs.
The last couple were of his living room, or rather from outside. It appears that whilst in bed the two sofas in the room had been pushed right up to the doors leading into the room, thus stopping the doors from opening inwards. The room was empty and nobody could have left the room with the sofas positioned as they are. He went on further to list a number of apports such as keys etc appearing out of thin air with the latest one being a paperweight that landed on the lounge carpet with a bang next to a visiting member of the family.
My friend and his wife are both in their late fifties, early sixties and extremely sensible and level headed. He is not a character to play practical jokes and was quite sheepish explaining what had been going on. I asked him when it started and he said that there were always noises and banging day and night which they invariably put down to the age of the house and the things being moved had started not long after they moved in, about 11 years ago. He said that nothing may happen for many months and then there will be a flutter of activity before it settles down again. He believes it may be three, six or even eighteen months before something similar occurs again. weird or what?

Exciting stuff!

Thursday was, of course, Halloween, so maybe this was his treat for you.

I was discussing hauntings recently and could think of relatively few cases where ghosts began their tricks out-of-the-blue with well-established residents.

A huge number of stories are about taking-on a new property. It is often combined with the theme of rennovations, which is why builders etc. are a good source of weird tales.

Did your informant mention having any work done on the fabric of the building? :)

Thursday was, of course, Halloween, so maybe this was his treat for you.

my buddy wouldn’t know Halloween from his right elbow, but one thing did register with me; his wife has been diagnosed with a serious health condition. And when i say serious I mean REALLY SERIOUS.
I gather from conversation that what they recently experienced is a lot more than they are used to and wonder if the cause of these incidents could be his wife’s diagnosi?

We moved into a converted 1800's 'Crippled Children's Hospital' that looks a bit like Hogwarts (so we call it that) a couple of years ago. I have a huge record / CD collection, and on the first night there spent some time putting my CDs into alphabetical order in the units, to make room for the next day's sorting-out. When we got up the next morning about 50 CDs had somehow appeared in a stack in the middle of the kitchen. I could only imagine a child doing that, it was so random and unexpected. There is no way I would have left them there myself, or not noticed them there. I said aloud "Just Stop It" and "Behave" we've not experienced anything like that since (in the flat at least) :)

Last edited:
We moved into a converted 1800's 'Crippled Children's Hospital' that looks a bit like Hogwarts (so we call it that) a couple of years ago. I have a huge record / CD collection, and on the first night there spent some time putting my CDs into alphabetical order in the units, to make room for the next day's sorting-out. When we got up the next morning about 50 CDs had somehow appeared in a stack in the middle of the kitchen. I could only imagine a child doing that, it was so random and unexpected. There is no way I would have left them there myself, or not noticed them there. I said aloud "Just Stop It" and "Behave" we've not experienced anything like that since (in the flat at least) :)
My friend mentioned in the original post tells me that when things disappear or the activity starts to become a real pain then he or his wife will admonish whatever it is for it’s behaviour, after which the activity slows down or ceases and lost items, keys etc. reappear in the most obvious of places.

My friend mentioned in the original post tells me that when things disappear or the activity starts to become a real pain then he or his wife will admonish whatever it is for it’s behaviour, after which the activity slows down or ceases and lost items, keys etc. reappear in the most obvious of places.
That's very interesting. Interaction. The fact that it modifies its behaviour means it's not malign.

He said that nothing may happen for many months and then there will be a flutter of activity before it settles down again. He believes it may be three, six or even eighteen months before something similar occurs again. weird or what?

Very interesting. That’s another property that I’ve read or heard about recently, that has periods of activity, then long periods of inactivity - my previous house was exactly like that (which was also in Essex)

On the subject of orb’s. A few years ago a good friend of mine was holidaying with his family in a small village in South Devon.

One day they decided to poke around the ancient village church, where my mate took a series of family snaps on his mobile phone. Every picture he took (and there were quite a few) of his wife and little boy, showed his son covered in little white orb’s. Not his wife, not my mate when he had his picture taken, just his son.

I was gobsmacked when he showed them to me. It was like, whatever orb’s are, were attracted to his sons energy. His son would have been about 5 or 6 years of age.

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew a guy some years back that owned an old property, which dated back to the civil war. He built a house on the land next to the cottage. His intention being to renovate the old cottage to let)and live in the newly built house. He told me as soon as the renovations began, tools would unexplainably go missing.He or his wife would ask for them to be returned, in a nice manner and they would be returned.He said that it all seemed a bit harmless at first but he felt the more work progressed, the atmosphere changed So much so that he found it really uncomfortable working in the cottage and would not work in it after dark.
Where he had built the new house there was a barn just over from it , so the cottage,house and barn formed an almost square. While he was working on the cottage, on two separate occasions, he saw a male figure walk past the window/door at the top of the barn. He was a logical person, ex forces and not scared easily. However he started to feel quite scared. He would hear singing coming from the newly built house and stated his wife experienced it too. One night he swears he looked out the bedroom window of the new house and saw a crowd of people standing in the court yard. He stated he felt they were waiting for him.
The story takes an even more tragic turn as he became increasingly depressed due to several different factors. He felt activity was increasing and found the atmosphere in the property become really intense. He would argue with his wife more and took no enjoyment out of life. Unfortunately once the renovations were complete and all work was done, he sadly took his own life. Really sad.
It was the suggestion earlier that perhaps activity increased due to someone being ill that reminded me of the story.I'm not saying supernatural forces caused him to take his own life but perhaps fed off the negativity.He could also have has psychotic depression but his wife experinced activity also.

I knew a guy some years back that owned an old property, which dated back to the civil war. He built a house on the land next to the cottage. His intention being to renovate the old cottage to let)and live in the newly built house. He told me as soon as the renovations began, tools would unexplainably go missing.He or his wife would ask for them to be returned, in a nice manner and they would be returned.He said that it all seemed a bit harmless at first but he felt the more work progressed, the atmosphere changed So much so that he found it really uncomfortable working in the cottage and would not work in it after dark.
Where he had built the new house there was a barn just over from it , so the cottage,house and barn formed an almost square. While he was working on the cottage, on two separate occasions, he saw a male figure walk past the window/door at the top of the barn. He was a logical person, ex forces and not scared easily. However he started to feel quite scared. He would hear singing coming from the newly built house and stated his wife experienced it too. One night he swears he looked out the bedroom window of the new house and saw a crowd of people standing in the court yard. He stated he felt they were waiting for him.
The story takes an even more tragic turn as he became increasingly depressed due to several different factors. He felt activity was increasing and found the atmosphere in the property become really intense. He would argue with his wife more and took no enjoyment out of life. Unfortunately once the renovations were complete and all work was done, he sadly took his own life. Really sad.
It was the suggestion earlier that perhaps activity increased due to someone being ill that reminded me of the story.I'm not saying supernatural forces caused him to take his own life but perhaps fed off the negativity.He could also have has psychotic depression but his wife experinced activity also.
I saw my buddy this morning but the train was, unexpectedly, quite busy so I didn’t probe any further other than to ask after his wife. Major surgery is due late in January to, literally, save her life.

awww man you started off well but then mentioned "orbs" and i stopped reading...everytime i see a mention of "orbs" i think, bugs, dust and light reflecting.

I saw my buddy this morning but the train was, unexpectedly, quite busy so I didn’t probe any further other than to ask after his wife. Major surgery is due late in January to, literally, save her life.

A very interesting and also rather sad thread. I do hope your friend's wife's surgery was successful.

my buddy wouldn’t know Halloween from his right elbow, but one thing did register with me; his wife has been diagnosed with a serious health condition. And when i say serious I mean REALLY SERIOUS.
I gather from conversation that what they recently experienced is a lot more than they are used to and wonder if the cause of these incidents could be his wife’s diagnosi?
My mothers old house/Street which I saw the Swirling Grey Mist on the number of occasions which I have posted on the it Happened To Me Thread as my mother was struck down with Multiple Sclerosis as was the daughter next door to us and another 3 women in the street got it as well.
Other strangeness in the street was that one of the husbands of the MS women told me he went to sleep in the house of the first night they moved in and he had the most real life dream of being outside and not seeing any houses but on a green field by the Castle (which its still there)
and there was women and people running around screaming as Vikings were pillaging the place and then one Viking wan at him and hit him of the head and he blacked out and woke up from his dream.......how mental is that.
2 other incidents with one being sad was the couple 2 doors down from me was getting a kitchen renovation and returning home from shopping on a Tuesday afternoon when she waked into the kitchen for a split second she saw a small bald man in a 1930s style cotton suit with a paper rolled in his hand but she said he say her and had a look of shock in his face like he had saw a ghost and then he was gone.
The next day one of the workers found an old newspaper from the 1930's which was stuffed into a hole.
The next incident is one that will never leave me but my brother moved back in the street he, me and my sister was brought up 20 doors from my mother's old house back in 2017 and he had struggled with previous and currant relationships and took to the bottle so on August 2017 I found lifeless as he took his own life hours earlier.
I HATE THAT STREET.

Sorry to hear about your brother, Sabre.

Wnen I moved into my new house a few weeks ago, I had very very 'real' feeling dreams for about a week. I wonder if there's something to do with moving house - maybe the brain can't properly relax in its new surroundings

Sorry to hear about your brother, Sabre.

Wnen I moved into my new house a few weeks ago, I had very very 'real' feeling dreams for about a week. I wonder if there's something to do with moving house - maybe the brain can't properly relax in its new surroundings
Thanks catseye for the kind comment :)
The street my mother and brother had lived apprarently was a graveyard for all the people that had been killed by the Viking invasions ?

Back