• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Vintage Psychedelic Experimentation With Anaesthesia / Anaesthetics

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
As I get older, I sometimes think I've heard it all before, but this
(from World Wide Words newsletter) is new to me:
Etheromaniac
-------------------------------------------------------------------
A person addicted to ether as an intoxicant.

Some have been known to inhale it, but true etheromaniacs drank it.
The imbibing of ether was a widespread practice in parts of Ireland
during the nineteenth century. Some contemporary reports point to a
temperance campaign by one Father Matthew in 1838 for starting it,
while others say it was an unintended result of a crackdown by the
authorities at that time on the illegal brewing of poteen, whiskey
made from potatoes.

The effects of ether were like those of alcohol, but the drinker
passed through the stages of intoxication to insensibility much
more quickly. He also sobered up after only a few minutes with no
hangover. One problem with drinking ether was that it turns into a
gas at body temperature. To get around this, the usual technique
was to drink a glass of cold water followed by a shot of ether. The
water cooled the mouth and throat sufficiently to get the ether
into the stomach in liquid form. A frequent side effect was violent
belching of flammable gas. Since houses were lit by naked flames,
ether drinkers sometimes set themselves and others alight.

The practice was etheromania and drinkers were sometimes described
as etherists and etheromanes as well as etheromaniacs. An article
in the Journal of the American Medical Association in 1891 wrote of
local women in Ireland holding "ether bees".

Etheromania was also recorded from Scotland, Norway, Russia, Italy,
France, parts of the USA, and Britain - an article in the Nebraska
State Journal in 1897 said, "In London the keepers of the various
squares and parks often find under the trees empty vials labelled
'ether' that have been thrown there by the maniacs who quit their
homes in order to indulge their favorite passion at their ease".

The practice died out in the 1890s in Ireland after the government
reclassified ether as a poison that could be sold by registered
pharmacists only.

[Thanks to Ian Simmons, whose letter to the New Scientist alerted
me to this astonishing practice and its vocabulary.]
I thought of adding this as a side-note to 'Going on the Wagon', but it probably deserves its own thread.

Any other little-known intoxicants?

"A Grand Exhibition of the effects produced by inhaling Nitrous Oxide, Exhilarating or Laughing Gas! will be given at Union Hall this (Tuesday) Evening, Dec. 10th, 1844.

Forty gallons of Gas will be prepared and administered to all in the audience who desire to inhale it.

Twelve Young Men have volunteered to inhale the Gas, to commence the entertainment. 

Eight Strong Men are engaged to occupy the front seats to protect those under the influence of the Gas from injuring themselves or others. This course is adopted that no apprehension of danger may be entertained. Probably no one will attempt to fight.

The effect of the Gas is to make those who inhale it either Laugh, Sing, Dance, Speak or Fight, and so forth, according to the leading trait of their character. They seem to retain consciousness enough not to say or do that which they would have occasion to regret.

N.B.–– The Gas will be administered only to gentlemen of the first respectability. The object is to make the entertainment in every respect a genteel affair."

Lots more addictive fun on this page entitled, "The historical antecedents of glue-sniffing"

here

:shock:

The wiki entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diethyl_ether

Ether, mixed with ethanol, was marketed in the 19th century as a cure-all and recreational drug, during one of Western society's temperance movements. At the time, it was considered improper for women to consume alcoholic beverages at social functions, and sometimes ether-containing drugs would be consumed instead. A cough medicine called Hoffmann's Drops was marketed at the time as one of these drugs, and contained both ether and alcohol in its capsules. [1] Ether tends to be difficult to consume alone, and thus was often mixed with drugs like ethanol for recreational use. Ethyl ether is listed as a Table II precursor under the United Nations Convention Against Illicit Traffic in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances[2].

Due to its immiscibility with water and the fact that non-polar organic compounds are highly soluble in it, Ether is also used in the production of freebase cocaine.

Immiscibility is a new word to me and my dictionary... any clues?

Jane.

The Pharmako-poeia has a whole section on ether drinking - as outlined in rynner's post there do seem to be a lot of hassles with drinking it (due its low boiling point). It hardly seemed worth the effort.

From an inhaling point of view chloroform is much better than ether although there are some long term health risks (with ether you just have to remeber not to have a cigarette immediately afterwards).

mejane1 said:
Immiscibility is a new word to me and my dictionary... any clues?

Jane.

The quality of being immiscible (i.e. and adjective used to describe liquids that won't mix).

I think HST describes ether-binges in F&L...

A frequent side effect was violent
I wonder if this might account for some cases of Spontaneous Human Combustion...? :shock:

rynner said:
A frequent side effect was violent
I wonder if this might account for some cases of Spontaneous Human Combustion...? :shock:

The possiblity is, in fact, discussed on the SHC thread :yeay:

I asked my stepfather who was an anaesthesiologist and had been using ether as an anesthetic before better chemicals became available.

He was aware of the practice of abusing ether, but didn't believe it would be possible to drink it (or very unpleasant), because of it's low boiling point. He also didn't think that it would be very effective when ingested.

Het told me the following anecdote:

Sometimes a bit of ether would be left in the anesthesia apparatus and it would be disposed of by flushing it down the toilet. But water and ether don't mix and the ether would float towards the surface and start vaporizing. At that moment an unsuspecting toliet visitor lit a cigarette and a big explosion followed.

He also told me that the anaesthesists themselves would be exposed to the fumes, and while not getting intoxicated, they would smell of ether for a long time afterwards. People would give them weird looks when they entered a bus or tram.

Among doctors and nurses the abuse of "Laughing Gas" - nitrous oxide (IIRC) was much more frequent.

I rediscovered this little thread a short while back. I'll dump it here, in case everyone had as nearly succeeded in forgetting it as I had:

Smelly Tale

"I found this fragrant gem on the Rense site:

here

"Frantic Malaysian Drug Addicts
Now Sniffing Hot Cow Dung
7-13-2

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) -- Faced with some of the world's strictest anti-drug laws, some addicts in Malaysia are sniffing fresh cow dung to get high. _ An official at the National Narcotics Agency said the problem was small but growing among addicts who cannot buy drugs. _ Trade Minister Rafidah Aziz was quoted in The New Straits Times newspaper on Wednesday as saying she wanted the government to deal with addicts who sniff cow dung, glue and even polystyrene smoke. She did not elaborate. _ "The cow dung emits gases like sulfur, and addicts sniff on these gases to get high," the official at the agency said on condition of anonymity. _ Despite harsh anti-narcotics laws that call for death by hanging for drug traffickers, Malaysia does not have legislation to cover such acts as cow dung sniffing, the official said. _ "The problem is not very serious yet, but we are worried as this method means addicts can get high for free," the official said.""

Among doctors and nurses the abuse of "Laughing Gas" - nitrous oxide (IIRC) was much more frequent.
When I was a foolish young man there were occasional laughing gas parties at my prestigious ivy league school - a hundred or so kids would polish off a stolen tank of the stuff. It's a very powerful, pleasant, short-lived high, but (as I now understand) dangerous too.

At raves etc, it's not uncommon for people to sell balloons filled with laughing gas for about £1 a go. As far as I can tell, it's a bit like poppers, but lasts a bit longer.

I think it used to be more widely known... remember the Dentist from the musical Little Shop of Horrors was a laughing gas huffer. I want to say I used to hear a story told around here about the inventor of Coke being known to supply laughing gas to people at parties, but I really can't remember the whole story.

And in other news:

Myeloneuropathy from whipped cream bulbs
presenting as conversion disorder

by
Brett A.
Postgraduate Centre, Graylands Hospital,
Mt Claremont, Western Australia, Australia.
Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 1997 Feb;31(1):131-2.

ABSTRACT
OBJECTIVE: To highlight the complications of nitrous oxide abuse. CLINICAL PICTURE: A case is presented of a myeloneuropathy in a 21-year-old woman who had been abusing nitrous oxide, obtained from whipped cream bulbs, who was referred to a psychiatric hospital with a diagnosis of conversion disorder. Nitrous oxide toxicity has been reported in medical and dental professions and a few cases of myeloneuropathy due to induced vitamin B12 deficiency have been reported. This would appear to be the first reported case of myeloneuropathy resulting from nitrous oxide abuse from whipped cream propellants as a recreational drug in the community. TREATMENT: Three doses of intramuscular hydroxy cobalamin (1000 micrograms) over the course of 1 week. OUTCOME: Her neurological symptoms and anxiety settled. CONCLUSIONS: Nitrous oxide is becoming more popular as a recreational drug; its complications should be noted and a thorough neurological examination performed if abuse is suspected.

I believe the Victorians used to hold nitrous oxide inhalation parties. It was only later on it was realized it could also be used as an anaesthetic.

Xanatic_ said:
I believe the Victorians used to hold nitrous oxide inhalation parties. It was only later on it was realized it could also be used as an anaesthetic.

You're probably thinking of pre-victorians, though no doubt it was used after 1837. Priestly first synthesized it in 1772. Such luminaries as Humphry Davey, James Watt, Robert Southey & Samuel Taylor Coleridge were all users. In Davey's case, he was a full-on addict.

See here:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pneumatic_Institution
http://www.general-anaesthesia.com/peop ... oster.html

"It's a gas!" surely this must be the origin of the phrase.

Possible confusion with, ether? Ether had been around for donkey's, but apparently, 'ether frolics', were quite popular amongst med. students, in the 1840s.

http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/broughttolife/techniques/ether.aspx

I had nitrous oxide at the dentist's, once. Interesting, but frankly, not as effective as modern injectable local anaesthetics, when it comes to having teeth pulled. You can have too much hilarity.

I also once nearly knocked myself out when using ether to macerate and extract an organic compound from a plant sample, because I forgot to switch on the fume cupboard on a warm summer's day. Pleasant, like that moment in bed, hovering between sleep and wakefulness, before you go under. Only sustained.

The Serpent's Promise by Steve Jones: exlusive extract
In his new book, Steve Jones puts the Bible under the scientific microscope. Here he asks whether religious transcendence might have a biological cause.
By Steve Jones

In 1962, a graduate student at Harvard Divinity School tried to find the roots of religious mystical experience. In the Marsh Chapel, just before the Good Friday service, he divided a group of students into two. Half drank a shot of vitamin B3 and the rest swallowed psilocybin – the drug found in magic mushrooms. The Marsh Chapel event changed lives. Many of those who had taken the drug said their moral insights had been transformed. Almost all felt a new sense of unity, transcendence and sacredness – each an attribute associated with the deepest consolations of prayer.

Devotees insist that when they put their trust in a higher power they ascend into a universe of thought denied to sceptics. They may be right; but similar sensations can emerge from physical changes in body and brain.

The philosopher William James, a committed Christian, dismissed all attempts to understand mystical insights with an appeal to pathology. “Medical materialism”, as he called it, was trivial: it “finishes up St Paul by calling his vision on the road to Damascus a discharging lesion of the occipital cortex, he being an epileptic. It snuffs out St Teresa as an hysteric, St Francis of Assisi as an hereditary degenerate.” Biology was not the right tool with which to explore devotion.

Despite James’s dismissal of a physical basis for spiritual experience, he had himself experimented with the effects of chemistry on the mental universe. James sampled nitrous oxide, or “laughing gas”, and found it had a dramatic effect: “The keynote of the experience is the tremendously exciting sense of an intense metaphysical illumination. Truth lies open to the view in depth beneath depth of almost blinding evidence.” Like the students in the March Chapel, he wrote of the event as the strongest emotion he had ever had. ...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/book ... tract.html

Last edited by a moderator:
This January 2000 Fortean Times article provides an overview of 19th century (and continuing) experiments with partial anaesthesia as a psychedelic experience. The artice - once accessible on the new-defunct FT online articles archive - can still be accessed via the Wayback Machine.

EXALTED STATES!
Experimenters with partial anaesthesia claim to have experienced mystical visions and revelations. Dr Antonio Melechi takes a deep breath and inhales the evidence.
FT 130 Jan 2000

https://web.archive.org/web/20050207135756/http://www.forteantimes.com/articles/130_mystical.shtml

Back