European Super League

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Thousands of Manchester United soccer fans rioted against their American owner The Glazer Family who also own the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

The anger boiled over when this team did not join the European Super League.

The game between Manchester United and Liverpool was call off at the Old Trafford Stadium.

The fans want the team to be sold to any Brit who has the money.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vardoger

I'm #1 so why try harder
Reaction score
Thousands of Manchester United soccer fans rioted against their American owner The Glazer Family who also own the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

The game between Manchester United and Liverpool was call off at the Old Trafford Stadium.

Yes, that is definitely going on.

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Vardoger,

Some people in my family love soccer, but I am not sure of the rules.

American cities are trying to expand soccer at a rapid pace to compete with American Football.

The new Nashville soccer is trying to compete with the Tennessee Titans.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Thousands of Manchester United soccer fans rioted against their American owner The Glazer Family who also

own the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

The fans were protesting about the ownership of the club (that i hsve supported for 45 years) because the Glazers wanted the club to join the 'super league' against the wishes of the fans who didn't want anything to do with it, the Glazers are only in it for the money, they dont care about the history of the club or the fans.

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Souleater,

Strangely CNN put up a headline that The European Super League was three years in the making, and it all came apart in 48 hours.

I know nothing of British soccer, so I will have to research this in my free time.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Souleater,

Strangely CNN put up a headline that The European Super League was three years in the making, and it all came

apart in 48 hours.

I know nothing of British soccer, so I will have to research this in my free time.
The 'super league' has been mooted for many years and has never had any support from fans, it is just a way of making more money for the foreign owners of the top clubs in Europe.

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Manchester Police Department said that they were angry that the fans attacked their policemen with bottles injuring three policemen one seriously.

The police called the fans aggressive and antagonist and vowed to bring offenders to justice.

The fans broke into the stadium threatening employees with harm that locked themselves in their offices.

This reminds me the attack on the American capital as people turn into animals.

Crowds of people are so unpredictable.

Victory

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I am not sure if you are aware @charliebrown but British (and many other) members here had the experience of watching these events unfold in real time as they were extensively covered by Sky Sports before, during and after the Newcastle vs Arsenal game.

Today's events at Old Trafford and outside two hotels were protests by about a thousand fans in total; perhaps 10% at most engaged in violence and criminal damage. I would describe them as protests that got out of hand, rather than full scale riots.

The news around the European Super League Project was and indeed is a major event for those of us into sport.
It carries a strong socio-political and nationalistic flavour.

If I can add any Fortean content to this, it might only be on the "Oh The Irony" thread?

The events were dissected in great detail by several ex professional players who were in the Manchester United stadium today working as TV pundits - Gary Neville, Jamie Carragher, Graham Souness, Roy Keane and Micah Richards.

Gary Neville's oratory two Sunday's ago just after the League was announced, live on air, was a major rallying point for opposition to the league.
There was much talk of how fans from all 92 professional clubs had banded togther to fight the project.

- But it was fans of Manchester United who contrived to launch a flare near Jamie Carragher, ex player of Man Utd's sworn enemies Liverpool, now working as a colleague standing pitch side two feet away from ex Manchester United player Gary Neville himself!

- And it was fans of Manchester United who threw a full unopened beer can in the direction of Graham Souness, ex Liverpool player, sitting two feet away from ex United player Roy Keane.
Souness, as was Keane, a noted hardman of the game, remarked how it could have killed someone had it hit them on the head.
As an aside for those into football, it was refreshing as ever to hear Souness call it as it is, rather than sugar-coat matters for his Sky paymasters.

So much for unity eh?
The decades deep rivalries between fans of some different clubs are seldom far from the surface, especially those two clubs.

- The Manchester United fans who protested today for the purpose of the integrity of their club, have now run the risk of their team being docked three points for failing to fulfil a fixture because of failing to control a crowd.
That said, if imposed, it would have little effect on their qualification for next season's Champions League, which is all but guaranteed by their points total so far.

Last edited:

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Theres no way Soccer can compete with american sports.

american sports are there to generate statistics, advertising revenue, and merchandise.

plus of course employment or cheerleaders and college scholarships.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

american sports are there to generate statistics, advertising revenue, and merchandise.

Yes, there's a lot of industry around it.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

I wouldnt be so sure, if you compare the NFL teams to The Premiership teams

193556.png

566666.png

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
American news this morning on TV showed crazy fans attacking Manchester Police with little explanation.

I am disappointed on how this was presented on American TV.

So, is this going to stop future soccer games in Britain ?

In the meantime a rich Nashville, Tennesseean ( Ingram Family ) is building a 30,000 seat soccer field for Nashville that will play and host Major League soccer.

The Ingram family makes river barges for rivers like the Mississippi River.

River freight is still alive and well on main rivers.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
American news this morning on TV showed crazy fans attacking Manchester Police with little explanation.

I am disappointed on how this was presented on American TV.

So, is this going to stop future soccer games in Britain ?

In the meantime a rich Nashville, Tennesseean ( Ingram Family ) is building a 30,000 seat soccer field for Nashville that will play and host Major League soccer.

The Ingram family makes river barges for rivers like the Mississippi River.

River freight is still alive and well on main rivers.
Compared to the hooliganism of the 80's the stadium invasion at Old Trafford was pretty tame, but still not good for the image of football.

Here is a little snippit

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Boys and girls soccer is now played in most American schools besides American football.

There is a saying in the U.S. that there Is nothing meaner in the world than a “ soccer mom “ supporting her children

soccer players on the field.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the US is waking up to the idea that EVERYONE except them loves footie.

It would be more accurate to say American business entities are waking up to the fact there's a professional sports market that still has significant growth potential.

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
Souleater,

Strangely CNN put up a headline that The European Super League was three years in the making, and it all came apart in 48 hours.

It's football, not soccer. American Football is an offspring of an entirely different game, Rugby.

The US is used to closed leagues at the top of their various sports, and the US owners of 4 of the 6 top UK football clubs wanted to set up a similar closed league to protect their investment. This is completely alien and anathema to sport as it is played outside of North America.

The arrogance of people who call a baseball 'World Series' when it is only played between North American clubs who can never be promoted or relegated was never going to go down in the rest of the world. I've lived in the US for 5 years and I love the American people, but their ignorance of the world outside North America is astounding.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
It's football, not soccer. American Football is an offspring of an entirely different game, Rugby.

The US is used to closed leagues at the top of their various sports, and the US owners of 4 of the 6 top UK football clubs wanted to set up a similar closed league to protect their investment. This is completely alien and anathema to sport as it is played outside of North America.

The arrogance of people who call a baseball 'World Series' when it is only played between North American clubs who can never be promoted or relegated was never going to go down in the rest of the world. I've lived in the US for 5 years and I love the American people, but their ignorance of the world outside North America is astounding.
I think the Americans relented and let the Canadians join in the World Series

charliebrown

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I noticed that Toronto and Montreal are on Nashville’s soccer schedule besides other major U.S. cities.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Compared to the hooliganism of the 80's the stadium invasion at Old Trafford was pretty tame, but still not good for the image of football.

Here is a little snippit

Man City fans infiltrated the crowd, they were responsible for the violence.

Cochise

Reaction score
Well I've lived in nearly half of the 20th century and never heard the game called soccer until I went to the US. And it's you lot that are behind trying to turn it into a non-contact sport so your delicate little girls can play it. Any UK women's 'soccer' team could kick any US team - male or female - off the park. Take your Glazers and Kroenkes and keep them your side of the pond. .

You have your sports and you enjoy them - go and play 'em and let the rest of the world do what they do. But the US just can't bear that anyone doesn't agree with anything they think is great. Get on with your rounders and netball and your pseudo-rugby players in body armour. (Ice hockey I respect).

Bill Bryson - a great American - noticed in his books that there are many things you can take off the Brits or substitute other cultures and we will not object. You even demanded we abandon our empire in favour of the US economic hegemony as a condition for helping us in WW2 - and yet most of us still enormously respect the Yanks who helped out, except possibly those who lost their girlfriends while they themselves were already fighting.

But there are certain untouchables. Bill Bryson cited puddings. Football is another. It may seem irrelevant to those who don't understand us, but it is something we will never surrender.

I'm not being nasty. A proper UK US relationship is very important but it needs to be built on understanding our differences, not our similarities.

Last edited:

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Football in the U.K. is basically tribal the game has largely been removed beyond the financial means of the ordinary working person.

The Super League, in my opinion, was basically a scheme pushed forward to help Barcelona and Real Madrid get out of a nearly 1 billion Euro debt each. The Super League was intended to be a largely closed shop with no relegation for the founding clubs. These clubs basically admitted that they would play their reserves in the Premier League when a midweek Super League game was on.

The fans are furious at the closed shop, the antithesis of U.K. football.

The great irony for me is that the Prem clubs have been happy with their greedy snouts in the trough and haven't cared at all for any clubs outside of the Premier League.

There are also too few financial controls within the Premier League and I would not be surprised if they discovered it awash with laundered money. But I suspect that governing bodies have purposefully chosen to turn a blind eye.

Many people like me have switched off from the game, being disinterested at the greed of the top clubs.

Cochise

Reaction score
Football in the U.K. is basically tribal the game has largely been removed beyond the financial means of the ordinary working person.

The Super League, in my opinion, was basically a scheme pushed forward to help Barcelona and Real Madrid get out of a nearly 1 billion Euro debt each. The Super League was intended to be a largely closed shop with no relegation for the founding clubs. These clubs basically admitted that they would play their reserves in the Premier League when a midweek Super League game was on.

The fans are furious at the closed shop, the antithesis of U.K. football.

The great irony for me is that the Prem clubs have been happy with their greedy snouts in the trough and haven't cared at all for any clubs outside of the Premier League.

There are also too few financial controls within the Premier League and I would not be surprised if they discovered it awash with laundered money. But I suspect that governing bodies have purposefully chosen to turn a blind eye.

Many people like me have switched off from the game, being disinterested at the greed of the top clubs.

Agreed. I'm acutely embarrassed that my club Arsenal have been involved, but also, having experience of the US (I don't know if I should include Canada) attitude to sport dictated that the Kroenkes would eventually try something like this. Well, they are not welcome and they won't win. Our government knows it would lose dozens of working class constituencies if it permitted it.

Maybe one way I can sum up the difference is that in the US, if work or whatever takes you to live in a different city, you are expected to change your allegiance to the local team. In UK if you support a club you support it for life, wherever life takes you.

Cochise

Reaction score
I grew up in Southend and although my team is Arsenal i would go and watch Southend sometimes because it cost about half-a-crown to get into the North End shed at Roots Hall (it was a shed, mostly corrugated iron, often known as the Anderson Shelter because the cop in charge was my next door neighbour, Sergeant Anderson) - he on his own was all that was needed )

This was as opposed to 10/6d and train fare to get to Arsenal's north Bank at Highbury. But again, most UK supporters would understand you go to ANY live football if you can. Doesn't mean you are betraying your own team. Nevertheless I'm sad Southend have been relegated from the Football League proper this year after 102 years.

Victory

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

I disgaree.

The parachute payments for newly relegated clubs are very tasty.
And the very fact that relegation and promotion exist is a merit.

Laundered money for sure though!

C.O.T.

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
Superleage was thinked cause there is an increasing distance between big clubs (barcelona and madrid) and the other country clubs, that are very far away in economic ressources. They want a league of the heavy weigths that maximices incomes.