Evacuation Song On Jukeboxes In Irish Pubs Cira 80s

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
What would be the point of having a particular song to play, especially since no-one seems to be able to remember it?

Why wouldn’t it be easier for the bar staff just to shout, “Bomb threat, everybody out!”, rather than depending on the apparently very fallible memories and hearing of a hundred randomly-selected punters?

maximus otter

James_H

And I like to roam the land
There's a (somewhat racist) UL that Arab taxi drivers in New York knew to avoid the Financial district on the morning of 9/11, because of messages in Arabic over the taxi radio. This smacks of the same thing, like a fear of another ethnic group having secret signals.

Bad Bungle

King of the Trilobites
From the number of times I heard a call for 'Inspector Sands' over the London Underground PA in the 80's and 90's, there must have been smoke/fire twice a week.
I did notice when a repeated call for 'an ISS Cleaner to Platform 3 to clear up a pool of VOMIT' morphed into a call for 'an ISS Cleaner needed for a code 4'.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
There's a (somewhat racist) UL that Arab taxi drivers in New York knew to avoid the Financial district on the morning of 9/11, because of messages in Arabic over the taxi radio. This smacks of the same thing, like a fear of another ethnic group having secret signals.

Yup, sounds like the stories of a person who's done a minor favour for some ethnic minority person being warned in return to stay away from X area on a certain day.

Later the person who's been warned is shocked when there's a bomb or other attack in that area on the day.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Morrison's supermarket pa code is:

"Can Mr Black come to customer services please" (we have an aggressive male customer)
"Can Mrs Black come to customer services please" (we have an aggressive female customer_
"Can Mr White come to customer services please" (we have a male shoplifter)
"Can Mrs White come to customer services please" (we have a female shoplifter)

The store I've just started in has a more simple "We have a code 1309" that seems to cover anything althpug hit sounds a bit too theatrical to me, I told the store manager the Morrison's method and she seemed a bit more impressed. I've clocked two shoplifters so far there, the first one before I was working there (on my interview day to be exact) and the next on on my second day there although he was very crafty how he went about it so I pretended not to notice .. the cheeky sod got me to help him load the stuff into his car! :rollingw: .. I didn't have the heart to get him arrested because it was bird food for his back garden plus I'm only in this store for two months.

Carse

Devoted Cultist
A friend of mine worked as a lifeguard at a swimming pool when he was a student and apparently if they saw someone acting suspiciously, leering at the kids etc.. the code over the PA system was “Father Green to (location)”. I was baffled when he was telling me this until he said it again in French.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
A friend of mine worked as a lifeguard at a swimming pool when he was a student and apparently if they saw someone acting suspiciously, leering at the kids etc.. the code over the PA system was “Father Green to (location)”. I was baffled when he was telling me this until he said it again in French.

:rollingw:

Roger Nowell

Chief Scrobbler
Strange coincidence this Saturday. I'd not heard of this 'evacuation song' malarkey till reading this thread.

I went for a Christmas lunch and a drink and we heard a bloke say "up the IRA".

My friend said "If he leaves, we leave".

I suggested he might be quoting a character in one particular 80's film.

My friend then said; "What's he putting on the jujebox?"

Bororeturn1

Junior Acolyte
I've heard of this UL many years ago, but for the sake of me cant remember which song it was supposed to be, im inclined to say an Elvis song but i suppose any of his songs would be too popular.......

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
Havent got a link C Numb........... someone ha:Dd mentioned the UL to me & the `song` but for the life of me cant remember what song it was
Last Saturday... the Rangers v Celtic game then...

Yeah, that places it in perspective!

OK... just a reminiscence...

Maryhill, Glasgow, upbringing... lamentably, there's still that religious devide.

Would have been around 18 at the time and we somehow ended up in a generic pub which was predominantly filled with Celtic supporters after a game.

Jukebox had an old selection of songs, including, 'A Scottish Soldier', by Andy Stewart.

Not exactly one that would go down well in assembled company... to say the proverbial least...

Someone amongst us paid to play it one the jukebox, nonstop for the next half hour...

Just before we left.. :deny::jugg:

Bad Bungle

King of the Trilobites
PA system on Baker Street Met Line 8:00am Monday : " Oh Gawwwd .............. Oh Godddddd ............................(sing-song) Oh Gaaaaaarrrd ................... Oh Go-oddd ........... (drop an octave) Oh Gawwwwd .......... form 5 for the All-stations to Aldgate train."

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :)
Staff member
ROFLMAOROFLMAOROFLMAO