• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ever Been Fooled (By Something You're Good At)?

Bullseye

Abominable Snowman
Was recently at an hotel, (not staying, unfortunatly), looking across the lake there I saw a deer in a clearing (about 200mt/yds),looked too big for a Roe buck and far too small for a Fallow buck, was watching for about 3 mins trying to figure it out as it was standing still for this long, which was odd.Someone came up and I mentioned that deer was standing still for long time, when they told me it was a wooden carving of a deer, now the really odd thing is, that as I was looking at it, I was convinced that it turned its head and looked at me at least twice (obviously it did'nt !), now I'm good at this woodcraft stuff, but was sure that its head moved, have I been wrong about other stuff I've seen?.:confused:
Anyone else seen things "wrongly"(wonderful grammer !).

Some years ago, I was laying on the lawn in the garden when I felt something crawling on my face, I shouted out in alarm and brushed the thing off, when I looked, I saw a large spider scuttling away but it just turned out to be a blowing leaf, much to the amusement of those around me.:blush:

Went into a field one dark evening to catch two horses, couldn't see them in the dark, heard a noise behind me, turned around and crapped my pants as there was a man wearing a trenchcoat, hands in pockets walking towards me ... Now logic dictates that there was no-one walking towards me on grounds that I'd have had to walk passed him to get into the field, but your brain doesn't work that way when you panic (well mine doesn't). It was in actuality one of the horses (wearing a rug) wot was walking towards me.

I was recently, three days ago, in my local (Adelaide, South Oz) museum. It is being renovated, Exhibts moved, areas blocked off etc.

Just near the entrance there's a lion on display, behind glass and out of place. As I was walking past I did the double-take thing, and I am convinced that the tail 'swished.'

I know its impossible...
But the 'illusion' of the tail movement freaked me out.
(Felt sorry for the exhibit/ beast...)
Weird

:)

Was driving around one evening, and almost swerved to avoid a "cat" that was crossing the road.

Turned out to be a plastic bag :rolleyes: How on EARTH I managed to mistake a plastic bag for a cat, I have NO idea.

I thought there was a cat lying on the coal bunker, but it turned out to be a stick (looked like a leg!) I wasn't wearing my glasses at the time ... :eek:

When I was here (Kunsthistorisches Museum in Vienna) in March I went to collect my coat and vaguely noticed someone across the very large cloakroom who resembled myself.
I took a few discreet steps nearer for a better look, and was shocked to see how very strong the resemblance was. Nearer still, and I did a double-take- it WAS me! :eek:

Nah, it was really the most enormous floor-to-ceiling, wall-to-wall mirror I've ever seen. Nearly jumped out of my skin. :D

There have been a few occasions when a black labrador has on closer inspection turned out to be a black bin bag full of rubbish- they look alive when the when the wind catches the "ears".

Fayyaad said:
Was driving around one evening, and almost swerved to avoid a "cat" that was crossing the road.

Turned out to be a plastic bag :rolleyes: How on EARTH I managed to mistake a plastic bag for a cat, I have NO idea.

Very similiar: a friend did an emergency stop in the middle of the night in a deserted country lane because he saw 'Whitefang' run out into his path—turned out to be a white bin-liner... :D

There have been a few occasions when a black labrador has on closer inspection turned out to be a black bin bag full of rubbish- they look alive when the when the wind catches the "ears".
A bit like Black Bag in the Viz. ;)

escargot said:
Nah, it was really the most enormous floor-to-ceiling, wall-to-wall mirror I've ever seen. Nearly jumped out of my skin. :D
Heh heh, I've done that.
"Who's that scary looking dude at the other end of the bar giving me the evil eye?"

When i was caretaker of a very large old house in Toxteth in liverpool that had been converted into 22 large besits I managed to gain enterense to a set of rooms in the cellars that the landlord had not been able to get into sice he bought the property. The landlord thought that it was only a cubord behind the locked door anyway so he wasn't much bothered by this, however after I want next door (which was the same design of house) with the landlord who was looking into buying the place too, I dicovered that next door had a suit of cellar rooms after the door that was locked in the house I was caretajking.

It was decided that I shout brake the door down that evening and tell the landlord what i found. After finishing the best part of a bottle of vodka that evening I broke though the door. inside was a largeish room piled high with sofas, materesses and rugs to the ceiling, unfortunatly there were no lights so i went back up to mty room and got a torch, once i'd done that i re entered the room and squessed past the matreses to find another room and a small room with, to my delight, a safe in. I walked into the small room and from the torch light notced some movement to my left side. I neary cr*ped myself, It looked like another person and there were rumours of the cellers being haunted :eek!!!!:. I turned round slowly to see... a mirror :blush:

That's quite an exciting story Flash. Like a recurring dream I have, where I find a part of the house I didn't know was there, I always wake up thrilled and frustrated.

Anyway. A few years ago, before I had glasses, I crossed the road to avoid an alsation (I am mortally afeared of them). When I drew level with it, it turned out to be a girl on a bicycle. :( I got specs shortly after that.

I've jumped because of seeing myself in mirrors a few times when creeping around spooky places, they're a menace ;)

When I'm driving I often see bin bags and things and could swear they're animals until I'm pretty close to them and already slowing down just in case. It seems the combination of a plastic bag in the wind can create a fairly convincing animal ;) Of course, after that's happened a few times it's surprising when you do meet an animal on the road, recently I was giving my mum a lift home along the coastal road in Fife (between Burntisland and Aberdour if anyone knows the twisty road), and a tiny rabbit jumped out in front of the car, causing me to brake sharply. It bounded down the road a few times then jumped back into the undergrowth at the side of the road, and watching it led my eyes along the edge of the road slightly, to where a deer was standing as if it was considering dashing out in front of me. I began to feel like I was in a Disney film at that point.

Speaking of that road, when I was small I was always terrified we were going to fall off it (it's on quite a steep hill, with the sea at the bottom).

A few years back my hair fell out and I went from having hair down to my arse to a short spikey "do". caused me no end of confusion in shops when I'd see this woman wearing the same clothes as me, but with really short hair ... bloody shops with big mirrors...

One night coming home from the stables where I kept my horse, it was just starting to get dark and had been raining. I heard a "schulushing" behind me and turned to see a head floating towards me. T'was really a fella on a bike ...

'nother time, I was coming home from Mass (pre my born again atheist days), when I saw a bear running across the open grassy area that wasn't quite a park. Which turned out to be an Old English Sheepdog.

Austen said:
What was in the safe? Did you ever open it?

it resited my best efforts for a while, but when i told the landloads roveing henchmen (the very same people as feature on the first post of 'the disgusting thread') they managed to get it open somehow. inside were some empty metal tray's that might have been used to hold coins at sometime so it was a bit of a let down... I managed to make a few people who lived there cr*p themselves in the same way though, so it wasn't a complete waste :)

That's because dreams are about ourselves and the house is YOU.
Is that right? I sometimes have these, but they're not pleasant dreams and the part(s) of the house I didn't know about usually have some ghostly connotations about them, sometimes very scary if I'm honest.

Is that right? I sometimes have these, but they're not pleasant dreams and the part(s) of the house I didn't know about usually have some ghostly connotations about them, sometimes very scary if I'm honest.
Accept the dreams as messages from your unconscious and you'll learn all about yourself. :wink2:

My dream landscape features a large house, mostly unfurnished, with secret rooms and passages, cobwebs, bare floorboards and so on. When this building looms the images stick in my mind on waking and I know it's time to face up to something.

Nothing supernatural, just the old cogs whirring. :)

We have threads on dreams. It's all about symbolism.

Back